Author Topic: Your Earliest News Memory  (Read 4950 times)

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Your Earliest News Memory
« on: November 5, 2022, 12:44:38 am »
What's the earliest news story you remember?

Born September 88, I think mine is the wreck of the MV Braer off Shetland in January 1993 and the resulting oil spill. I just had the image of a shipwreck with a big M on the funnel seared into my memory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Braer

If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
Re: Your Earliest News Memory
« Reply #1 on: November 5, 2022, 12:48:24 am »
Nixon getting impeached and resigning.

Too young to really understand it, but the helicopter trip was sort of sad to watch.
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #2 on: November 5, 2022, 12:50:12 am »
JFK's death.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #3 on: November 5, 2022, 01:00:12 am »
1990 for me. I remember a big deal being made about Nelson Mandela's release, without knowing who he was & I remember the start of the Gulf War.

And from the same year I remember Thatcher getting the boot.

In sporting news, I remember Italia '90 happening. And the small matter of a league win which I barely grasped the significance of, I think before that I'd only really watched FA cup finals.

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 5, 2022, 01:32:13 am »
Was going to say earliest I remember off hand is Princess Di car crash - was at my grandparents and they had all the tv channels (stuff like cartoon network that we never had), and remember all the programming being taken off for coverage on all the channels.

Having said that, I seem to recall stark images and reports about the IRA bombing of Manchester and the neonazi nail bombings in London - have just looked up when those were and it was 1996 and 1999 respectively.

I'm sure reading other people's might jog my memory - am sure I remember John Major on the news a fair bit, so must go earlier thn 96

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #5 on: November 5, 2022, 01:58:42 am »
The death of King George VI; honestly.

I remember being given a Coronation mug with QE2’s face on it too. And every day at school, thanks to Attlee’s Labour postwar government, we had a teaspoonful of concentrated orange juice, a teaspoonful of malt extract and a teaspoonful of cod liver oil - all washed down with a third of a pint of full fat milk.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 5, 2022, 02:15:28 am »
For me I was playing with my action man I'd tied a white shoelace around his neck and the other end around a brass knob on the drawer of a dark oak side board. I was swinging it from right to left trying to get action man, on to the top of the sideboard. When my mother asked me "Are you hanging action man for what he's done to that little girl ? " I turned around looked at the TV and saw a naked girl running towards the camera screaming, alongside some other kids...That memory is burned deep in my mind.
Wikipedia tells me it happened on june 8th 1972 so it's sometime after that, I'm approx 2 years of age.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phan_Thi_Kim_Phuc

At a similar age my son is stood staring at the TV as the second tower was struck... I told him "some very bad men have done that " What else could I say ?

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 5, 2022, 02:25:55 am »
For me I was playing with my action man I'd tied a white shoelace around his neck and the other end around a brass knob on the drawer of a dark oak side board. I was swinging it from right to left trying to get action man, on to the top of the sideboard. When my mother asked me "Are you hanging action man for what he's done to that little girl ? " I turned around looked at the TV and saw a naked girl running towards the camera screaming, alongside some other kids...That memory is burned deep in my mind.
Wikipedia tells me it happened on june 8th 1972 so it's sometime after that, I'm approx 2 years of age.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phan_Thi_Kim_Phuc

At a similar age my son is stood staring at the TV as the second tower was struck... I told him "some very bad men have done that " What else could I say ?
I used to know the cameraman that filmed that - he died a few years ago.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #8 on: November 5, 2022, 03:20:35 am »
Probably the Moon landings in 1969. I was six at the time.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 5, 2022, 05:03:20 am »
Australia winning the America's Cup in whatever year that was, 83?

Offline LFC_R_BOSS

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: November 5, 2022, 05:13:35 am »
1984 Brighton bombing .

Online spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 5, 2022, 07:16:44 am »
Elvis Presley dying.   Day before my 6 birthday   August 16th 1977

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #12 on: November 5, 2022, 07:25:14 am »
The start of the Gulf War in the summer of 1990.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: November 5, 2022, 07:31:39 am »
Probably the Moon landings in 1969. I was six at the time.

That sticks in my mind too but I think probably because my dad either kept us up late or got us up early to watch it and sat with us explaining what was happening and why it was such a huge moment.

Having said that I also remember the '66 world cup vividly but I can't remember if it was because I watched it (probably) or because I've seen it so many times since.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #14 on: November 5, 2022, 07:32:42 am »
The death of King George VI; honestly.
Amazing answer.  Royal wedding 1981 for me, though actually I’m not 100% sure it isn’t Andrew’s wedding I’m thinking of, years later.  If that is a false memory then it’s harder - I think I remember the Falklands as it was happening; I definitely remember the Brisbane commonwealth games the same year cos it meant the telly was on at breakfast time, but that isn’t really news-news.  So my definite-definite answer is the miners’ strike, particularly the concrete block being pushed off a bridge and killing some guy driving past below.

I was trying to think of the most recent major event that I *don’t* have a memory of, but that turns out to be impossible as I can’t distinguish between learning it later as an adult and learning it at the time as an adult.  For some reason it’s no problem making that distinction with things I missed as a kid.  I find that really interesting - I wonder why that is?

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #15 on: November 5, 2022, 07:55:33 am »
Fall of the Berlin Wall, Poll Tax Riots, Desert Storm
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #16 on: November 5, 2022, 09:04:37 am »

Someone throwing paint at Ted Heath in Downing Street. Not a momentous piece of news, no one was actually hurt, it was just such an odd thing to happen especially for a young lad who never paid attention to The News.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 5, 2022, 09:11:38 am »
Earliest memory must be from mid 1970s.  Not the content but recall the intro at lunchtime, ‘this is the 1 o’clock news from ITN, with Robert Kee’.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 5, 2022, 09:12:33 am »

Thatcher winning in 79 unfortunately.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #19 on: November 5, 2022, 09:13:39 am »
Munich plane crash.

All the mums were in the street saying it was just like the war with all those young men dead. I couldn’t understand why English people were even in Germany, living next door to a bomb site in Dingle people talked like it was dropped yesterday.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #20 on: November 5, 2022, 10:41:33 am »
It’s should be the moon landings for me as I was 4 and it was truly a momentous event … but sadly I have no recollection of it whatsoever. I do, however, vividly remember decimalisation when I was about 6 as there were public information films broadcast quite regularly and it must have interrupted or been shown around the same time as Joe 90 or something else I would have been glued to at the time.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #21 on: November 5, 2022, 10:42:13 am »
 Callaghan’s government collapsing
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 5, 2022, 10:53:44 am »
I think it was probably the Bosnian War. I guess the reason I remember it is because my parents took in and helped some refugees so I was forced as a 6/7 year old to figure out what was going on in the world, don't think I had taken any notice until then.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 5, 2022, 10:57:10 am »
It’s should be the moon landings for me as I was 4 and it was truly a momentous event … but sadly I have no recollection of it whatsoever. I do, however, vividly remember decimalisation when I was about 6 as there were public information films broadcast quite regularly and it must have interrupted or been shown around the same time as Joe 90 or something else I would have been glued to at the time.

I remember going with my Dad to pick up my Mum and my new baby brother from Fazak Hospital in May 1969, but cannot remember the Moon Landings even being spoken about, never mind on the news. I do remember the fuss about decimalisation, I also remember toys costing half a crown on Bob Isherwoods stall in Kirkby Market.

It's odd this, I'm trying to think of the clearest memory I have and Elvis dying in 1977 sticks out the most, ITV interrupted the telly to break the news. I've obviously got earlier ones, as the radio was always on and I always watched daytime telly with my Nan, I remember watching Andy Pandy on watch with Mother, both colour and black and white, but the news I must have just ignored.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 5, 2022, 11:03:01 am »

I've obviously got earlier ones, as the radio was always on and I always watched daytime telly with my Nan, I remember watching Andy Pandy on watch with Mother, both colour and black and white, but the news I must have just ignored.

The joys of childrens tv back in the day.  Recall the likes of bagpuss, mr benn and some sort of Indian music prog preceding cartoons on a Sunday morning in the 70s

Anyway going off on a tangent.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #25 on: November 5, 2022, 11:14:47 am »
Herald of Free Enterprise in 1987.

In part because so many of the crew who perished came from down here.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #26 on: November 5, 2022, 11:40:27 am »
The first moon landings for me too.  I can vividly remember walking home with my Mum looking up at the night sky and trying to see them  ;D
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 5, 2022, 11:43:16 am »

Ah, the Thatcher years, when we seemed to have a major disaster every week.
NAKED BOOBERY

Online Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 5, 2022, 11:43:47 am »
The assassination of JFK.

I'd just turned six and I was out and about with my mam when she was doing some shopping. Cold, dark and miserable evening as I remember. I couldn't wait to get home to play with my Lego. Someone she knew stopped her in the street and I could tell from the agitated conversation that something was up. She grabbed my hand and raced home at a pace I'd never seen before. My little legs could barely keep up. When we got home, my dad was there glued to the small black & white tv in the corner and I could sense that something was seriously wrong. These two aren't helping me with my Lego tonight I thought.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #29 on: November 5, 2022, 11:44:38 am »

I went on that a year before it happened … same route then my dad drove to Holland…
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #30 on: November 5, 2022, 12:00:55 pm »
Brighton bombing, mostly as we were playing later that same day, which was Spurs away, one of the Friday night matches from those days, Dalglish was dropped for the match, even Fagan later said it was the daftest decision he ever made as manager.

Quite interesting re watching major news events from then, news item was to the point, couple of interviews, then moving to the next news item nowadays, they'd be extended coverage for hours, even interviewing some yokels in the street.
#Sausages

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 5, 2022, 12:09:44 pm »
In terms of actual news earliest memories include the death of Elvis and assassination of John Lennon.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 5, 2022, 12:48:03 pm »
JFK,  Can't say it hit me hard just splashed all over the news.

Earliest news memory which did affect me was opening the Sunday newspaper which would have been the NOTW and The People and seeing the middle pages full of pictures of the Nazi concentration camps and feeling horrified reading about it, ,can still remember thinking how could something like this have happened. never been able to pin the date down for certain but I assume it must have been down to the capture of a Nazi war criminal like Eichman so I would have been around 11.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2022, 12:53:03 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #33 on: November 5, 2022, 01:11:44 pm »
Brighton bombing, mostly as we were playing later that same day, which was Spurs away, one of the Friday night matches from those days, Dalglish was dropped for the match, even Fagan later said it was the daftest decision he ever made as manager.
A+ rawk posting on a major world event this, just missing the scoreline, times of the goals and a description of the away end.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #34 on: November 5, 2022, 06:11:33 pm »

Now you mention that I can remember that happening, and now you’ve mentioned one disaster I think Lockerbie was at about the same time?
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 5, 2022, 06:14:35 pm »
Now you mention that I can remember that happening, and now you’ve mentioned one disaster I think Lockerbie was at about the same time?

Piper Alpha as well. I know people who were affected by that but I was only 2 at the time.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 5, 2022, 06:17:49 pm »
Piper Alpha as well. I know people who were affected by that but I was only 2 at the time.
The Kings Cross fire too.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #37 on: November 5, 2022, 06:20:54 pm »
Definitely the moon landings for me - not sure if it was the first ones or later as I wasn't quite 4 in July 1969. I moved house just before my eight birthday and the only memories I have of the television before that are the moon landing footage and FA cup finals!!!
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 5, 2022, 06:42:44 pm »
Definitely the moon landings for me - not sure if it was the first ones or later as I wasn't quite 4 in July 1969. I moved house just before my eight birthday and the only memories I have of the television before that are the moon landing footage and FA cup finals!!!
False memory - never happened. ;D
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 5, 2022, 08:03:46 pm »
This thread has been amazing - nice to know that there are a fewer older people than me on here. :-)

Mine is Lennon being shot.  I don't really remember how I processed it, but I remember being told the news.