Author Topic: Severance (Apple TV)  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
Severance (Apple TV)
« on: August 17, 2022, 07:52:39 am »
Finished this last night and thought it was absolutely superb, eager to see what happens next. Unsettling, weird, sad, funny.

Anyone else seen it?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Severance (Apple TV)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 08:32:13 am »
Absolutely loved it. Finished it a while ago and only just last night said to my girlfriend we need a season 2 asap.

Mr Milchick wow, what a menace.

Forgot to mention, probably the best end of season finale I’ve seen in a long, long time.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 08:40:07 am by AndyMuller »

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 08:59:43 am »
didn't we have a thread on this? or was it just in the tv thread? it was spoken about a fair bit

whatever, yes, excellent
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 09:15:38 am »
didn't we have a thread on this? or was it just in the tv thread? it was spoken about a fair bit

whatever, yes, excellent

Ah apologies if I’ve duplicated a thread!

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 12:25:20 pm »
no worries, i probably got it wrong, it was probably the tv thread where we spoke about it, i cant recall to be honest
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 01:06:38 pm »
This was a breath of fresh air. One of the best shows I have watched recently.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 01:08:57 pm »
Ah apologies if I’ve duplicated a thread!

Nah think the talk was just in the TV thread.  So nice one starting a thread ready for the next series (whenever that may be).  The ending of S1 was nerve shredding and setup S2 perfectly.

I absolutely loved this and its up there in my top 4 shows of the last few years (alongside BCS, The Boys and Mr Inbetween)

For a high concept drama it had such a cool but sinister vibe.  In the other thread, I likened the feel of Severance to the 1960's show "The Prisoner" starring Patrick McGoohan.  I think at least one other person agreed with me at the time :)

Well worth a watch and can't wait for S2.

Forgot to mention, probably the best end of season finale I’ve seen in a long, long time.

Agreed!

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 01:10:48 pm »
Yeah I loved it, one of those absorbing shows where you're watching for every little detail at all times.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 01:14:51 pm by Schmidt »

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 01:38:16 pm »
Thanks for the thread, a friend recommended this and I had no idea what it was called the other day - lots of high praise here from people who share similar taste here, looking forward to it

Offline RedInside

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 01:40:13 pm »
Loved it, the vibe surrounding it is great. The music, the filming, the awkwardness, it all attributes to that eery feeling. Bummer we have to wait till early 2024

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 02:06:54 pm »
As others have said, it was a breath of fresh air as a proper high-concept, well-paced show. I originally wrote 'drama' but it defies genre. I reckon it really ramps up into a thriller in S2, hopefully it can keep the smaller-scale vibe though. We don't need another Westworld.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 05:39:16 pm »
Nah think the talk was just in the TV thread.  So nice one starting a thread ready for the next series (whenever that may be).  The ending of S1 was nerve shredding and setup S2 perfectly.

I absolutely loved this and its up there in my top 4 shows of the last few years (alongside BCS, The Boys and Mr Inbetween)

For a high concept drama it had such a cool but sinister vibe.  In the other thread, I likened the feel of Severance to the 1960's show "The Prisoner" starring Patrick McGoohan.  I think at least one other person agreed with me at the time :)

Well worth a watch and can't wait for S2.

Agreed!

i dont think i saw your comment in the other thread cos The Prisoner was one of the shows this reminded me of immediately, and i would defo have agreed on that

i know there were two old shows it reminded me of but for the life of me i can't recall the other one now

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2022, 08:11:28 pm »
Loved it, superb performances and great opening title sequence and music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmS3m0OG-Ug

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2022, 11:29:01 pm »
A great show I wonder if it would have ever got made if it wasn't for Covid.

It has the feel of a show made under restrictions and all the better for it.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2022, 06:33:19 pm »
Definitely improved as it went along leading up to a great season finale.

Offline goalhanger14

• Boys Pen
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2022, 09:43:58 am »
was a real creeper, that final episode! wow. cant wait for next season. havent said that in a while

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2022, 04:16:21 pm »
A great show I wonder if it would have ever got made if it wasn't for Covid.

It has the feel of a show made under restrictions and all the better for it.

Aye, way the cubicles were spaced and the general way it was filmed made me think it was them using the covid restrictions really creatively.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2022, 10:01:54 am »
Only two episodes in, so need to be cautious coming in here, but it's got my attention. Nice to find a concept in this kind of area that's actually fresh, and brings up new considerations.

Is it me, or does anyone get uncanny vibes from Adam Scott? Does he sometimes have prosthetics on his nose/cheeks/neck?

Also, anyone played Control? With the gigantic building with distinctive rooms, and The Break Room especially, feels like this could take place in that building you play in in Control

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2022, 02:24:56 pm »
Is it me, or does anyone get uncanny vibes from Adam Scott? Does he sometimes have prosthetics on his nose/cheeks/neck?

When he goes down the elevator something weird happens. It might just be a dolly reverse zoom or something but it looks like his face changes.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2022, 02:43:05 pm »
Only two episodes in, so need to be cautious coming in here, but it's got my attention. Nice to find a concept in this kind of area that's actually fresh, and brings up new considerations.

Also, anyone played Control? With the gigantic building with distinctive rooms, and The Break Room especially, feels like this could take place in that building you play in in Control

Haha yes, I see the comparison with Control now. I also echo the shouts of Adam Scott's face looking weird at times (especially in the lift).

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2022, 11:52:31 am »
Just finished it and wow, it's good. I said it seemed a fresh concept after a couple of episodes, and after 9 it somehow feels even more so. It's now so intriguing and complex and asks different kinds of questions in terms of principles, ethics and possibilities - which is very hard to achieve at this point of time given abundance of fiction in a similar area like this.

Shout out to Mark's sister, great character and very affectionately acted. She and many others in this happen to be very attractive too - particular shout out to the tall (severed) queens! Can see why Tramell Tillman has a lot of fans too, for those into guys.

Finished this last night and thought it was absolutely superb, eager to see what happens next. Unsettling, weird, sad, funny.

Me too! Hoping it's got funding and been green lit for a second season - it's too good to not see it played to its conclusion, but it's always a worry that there's enough of an audience for commercial considerations
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 11:54:03 am by Classycara »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #21 on: September 9, 2022, 07:52:17 am »
Binge watched this over the last few days. Fantastic show. I hadn’t thought about the links to the Prisoner until it was mentioned in here but there’s definitely that surreal sense of entrapment and disorientation.

Elements of Terry Gilliam’s Brazil in there as well. Also THX 1138 - George Lucas’s early sci-fi work.

The plotting and writing is superb, as is the casting. The finale was one of the best episodes of TV I’ve watched recently.
Spoiler
Helly’s ‘outie’ identity was a shock but had been foreshadowed at the beginning when someone said something like ‘honoured to have you here’ when she was being severed.
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2022, 10:07:54 am »
Interesting to see that Ben Stiller backed and directed this fantastic show.

Spoiler
The computers lack an escape key, as a metaphor for the lack of control the Innies have while in Lumon's offices.
[close]
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2022, 07:16:17 pm »
Going to be 2024 for Season 2. :-\

Apple have to be producing the best TV shows out of the streaming Giants.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2022, 12:41:43 pm »
Going to be 2024 for Season 2. :-\

Apple have to be producing the best TV shows out of the streaming Giants.

Disappointing on one level, but worth it if it means they keep the quality up and there's plenty of other stuff to watch anyway these days.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2022, 01:15:10 am »
A bump for this, which I've just finished watching tonight. Fantastic television. Looks like you've got plenty of time to catch up if you've not watched it yet!

Offline Craig Mac

• Leeches files boo hiss!
  • Kopite
  • We shall not, we shall not be moved!
Severance
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2023, 03:47:38 pm »
Has anybody watched this on apple TV? Absolutely fantastic TV, I absolutely loved it and can't wait for season 2.

I thought the finale was amazing and left me on the edge of my seat. I thought the writing was superb and Lumen definitely gives me scientology vibes.

Some discussion points- do not open unless you have watched all episodes. Need people to discuss theories as I don't know anyone else who has watched this.

Spoiler
What are Luman as a company? Are they just testing the severance procedure or are they up to something even more sinister?

The reveal as Hellie as an Egan and Mrs Casey as Marks wife were brilliant. Do we think there are any more twists to come? I think the outies who are friends with Mark's brother in law seem very odd. Are they in some way severed from a different reality. I have even seen a theory stating that Ricken is in fact Keir.

Will we see Keir in season two. Or is he a made up concept, almost cult like figure to keep the innies in check?

What is the deal with the goats?
[close]

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
Re: Severance
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2023, 04:05:13 pm »
It’s brilliant.
But the main thing I take from it all is that I love her.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2023, 06:25:06 pm »
Best show I watched last year (I haven’t watched the Bear).

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2023, 09:24:14 am »
Watched episode 1 last night, hooked immediately. Can’t wait to binge through it.

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2023, 02:37:00 pm »
Craig Mac, re your spoiled comments: 
Spoiler
I think Severance is sinister enough, using it for work is the tip of the iceberg of its possibel uses. Eg that womam who seemed to have been severed for childbirth (and/or pregnancy? and/or some part of her domestic life)
[close]

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2023, 10:36:48 pm »
Just finished ep 5. First ep was a great set up and very intriguing but we are really failing to see what it seems most are seeing. So slow and boring. She doesn’t want to watch the next and is ready to give up, not something we ever do. Does it get better? Can’t believe the hype and awards it’s up for.  :o
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 10:39:02 pm by Livbes »

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2023, 10:39:48 pm »
Just finished ep 5. First ep was a great set up and very intriguing but we are really failing to see what it seems most are seeing. So slow and boring. She doesn’t want to watch the next and is ready to give up, not something we ever do. Does it get better? Can’t believe the hype and awards it’s up for.  :o

Mad shout.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
Re: Severance (Apple TV
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2023, 10:59:29 pm »
Mad shout.

I think it’s mad you think it’s mad  ;D. I’ll fin it, I don’t think you can have a valid opinion if you don’t but wow, it’s tedious.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2023, 09:00:53 am »
Sounds like it’s just not for you. Didn’t find any of it boring. And by episode 5 I was totally hooked.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2023, 02:24:53 pm »
I thought it was vert clever, incredible visuals...but also slow at times. Didn't keep me hooked in the way other shows have. I finished it and the pay off is worth it.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2023, 04:37:46 pm »
Also got to be one of the greatest dance scenes ever on TV.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2023, 04:50:38 pm »
I thought it was vert clever, incredible visuals...but also slow at times. Didn't keep me hooked in the way other shows have. I finished it and the pay off is worth it.

The ending was one of the best I've seen in recent years - going to be a while I think, but I'm really looking forward to its return and finding out where the story goes next.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2023, 06:56:39 pm »
Favourite show of last year....loved it
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2023, 10:33:27 pm »
Favourite show of last year....loved it

Same. I loved it just as much as Devs (2020)
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.