Poll

Just curious about the impact Covid-19 is having

I work in the UK and normally work from home
30 (17.8%)
I work in the UK and don't normally work from home but have started  to \ expect to by April
80 (47.3%)
I work in the UK and working from home isn't an option
33 (19.5%)
I live but don't work in the UK
0 (0%)
I don't live in the UK
26 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 169

Voting closed: March 23, 2020, 02:56:14 pm

Author Topic: Working From Home  (Read 162630 times)

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
Re: Working From Home
« Reply #2360 on: December 24, 2022, 08:10:00 am »
Thanks Thaddeus,
 I was assuming 20mb/s for a remote desktop connection should be fine.  More if you are doing a zoom or teams chat I guess.
I'm in the process of renewing our broadband, some of the speeds offered are insane and there are always pressures to buy ridiculously fast internet. I susect I could comfortably stream 8 screens at 4k on some of these.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #2361 on: December 24, 2022, 08:37:54 am »
Has anyone been given guidance on what internet speeds they would need for WFH? Obviously it will vary depending on what kind of work you do and how the IT is set up. I'm just curious. 

You don’t need as much as most people think. If you’re working via something like Citrix desktop it’s in the kilobits/s, and if you’re working via VPN like F5 you can easily survive on less than 5Mbs. Dont forget you only need 5Mbs to stream HD video
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2362 on: December 24, 2022, 09:44:09 am »
Thanks Thaddeus,
 I was assuming 20mb/s for a remote desktop connection should be fine.  More if you are doing a zoom or teams chat I guess.
I'm in the process of renewing our broadband, some of the speeds offered are insane and there are always pressures to buy ridiculously fast internet. I susect I could comfortably stream 8 screens at 4k on some of these.

In my work we have to RDP to computers and servers that are sharing a 6mpbs connection between 100+ devices with latency of 800ms.....

20Mbps to yourself is luxury!

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2363 on: December 24, 2022, 10:27:42 am »
In my work we have to RDP to computers and servers that are sharing a 6mpbs connection between 100+ devices with latency of 800ms.....

20Mbps to yourself is luxury!

Broadband speeds are a massive marketing scam that sucker people in to paying for bandwidth they have absolutely no need for
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2364 on: December 24, 2022, 10:47:27 am »
Broadband speeds are a massive marketing scam that sucker people in to paying for bandwidth they have absolutely no need for

In my case we are talking about satellite connections with a monthly cost that is in 5 figures...

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2365 on: December 24, 2022, 09:55:18 pm »
In my case we are talking about satellite connections with a monthly cost that is in 5 figures...

Yeah, I suppose getting broadband or fibre circuit out to an oil rig might be a bit of a challenge!
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #2366 on: December 25, 2022, 12:59:27 am »
yeah, I'm going to downgrade when my BT Contract expires, went FTTP because 4 of us were working from home during lockdown plus streaming or gaming on four separate TVs and to be fair my internet hasn't missed a beat during that time but now eldest has moved out and it's just me that works from home so don't need as much bandwidth, I'll still keep FTTP but downgrade to the minimum rather than the top one
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2367 on: January 24, 2023, 02:08:16 pm »
I wouldn't be confident in saying there's a real human behind that account. Bit of a weird set of 14 posts which includes this from the what car do you own thread

Then this only a month later in the mechanic thread

Could've changed car in that time no doubt, but 5 of the 14 posts give links to external sites  :D

That Lalesa is another one littered with links in their short posting history.

Report them both to the MODS - they'll bin them off is suss

Fuck it, I've done it ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2368 on: January 24, 2023, 08:15:40 pm »
Thanks folks, always report suspicious stuff and anything with links from unfamiliar posters. Some weird stuff happening in the last two weeks  ;D

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2369 on: January 25, 2023, 09:22:45 am »
Thanks folks, always report suspicious stuff and anything with links from unfamiliar posters. Some weird stuff happening in the last two weeks  ;D

Outside the usual suspects? ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #2370 on: January 25, 2023, 10:32:43 am »
On topic, the 'working from home dream' seems to be dying.

The traffic on the morning commute is back to at least pre-Covid levels. It's bumper to bumper and crawling traffic right along the 62 and into Manchester. The days of breezing along in light traffic from summer/autumn 2020, and even the still-light traffic of 2021 is now but a memory.

During Covid, our company went fully WFH. It worked superbly, with results not impacted. They reopened the office once able  it attendance for most (outside of staff who were required to be in) voluntary. As Covid subsided, more staff began to go into the office one or two days a week. We were told that this was going to be the arrangement going forwards; no return to full time in the office.

Last summer, they introduced Wednesday as a 'core day' where everyone had to be in the office.

They're now expanding core to 3 days.

It's one of the two company owners driving this as he's always had a bee in his bonnet about WFH.

That's obviously just us, one company, but I think we're typical. It's a total PITA.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2371 on: January 25, 2023, 10:49:04 am »
I am just one day a week in the office, works well for me.

Have that in place for rest of 2023

There is another department in the same building as me and some are just working from home permanently, they said their productivity went through the roof working from home.

I agree too and loads say that you get more done at home, no distractions, in the office you go to the toilet or make a coffee and before you know it you are chatting to someone for half an hour.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2372 on: January 25, 2023, 10:53:10 am »
Still just one day in the week in the office for me too.

I find plenty of distractions at home as well to be honest, especially now we have a dog but that probably says more about me! And I still have the responsibility to manage my own deadlines so if I need to take the dog out during the day I will, but if work needs to be done I’ll work later and do it.

Would struggle to do more in the office now I think (plus the doggy daycare expense would go through the roof!).

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2373 on: January 25, 2023, 10:57:13 am »

I find plenty of distractions at home as well to be honest, especially now we have a dog but that probably says more about me! And I still have the responsibility to manage my own deadlines so if I need to take the dog out during the day I will, but if work needs to be done I’ll work later and do it.

Would struggle to do more in the office now I think (plus the doggy daycare expense would go through the roof!).
I live 65 miles away from office so fuel costs are my bug bear

There can be distractions at home obv, odd time I might have my son here

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2374 on: January 25, 2023, 11:55:15 am »
Been in the office one day in 5 years, even that's for a coffee and shit talk. It's great

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2375 on: January 25, 2023, 12:26:19 pm »
Been in the office one day in 5 years, even that's for a coffee and shit talk. It's great

What did you discuss while taking a shit?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2376 on: January 25, 2023, 12:32:29 pm »
Always have a shit on company time

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2377 on: January 25, 2023, 12:42:19 pm »
I agree too and loads say that you get more done at home, no distractions, in the office you go to the toilet or make a coffee and before you know it you are chatting to someone for half an hour.

What did you discuss while taking a shit?

Always think it's weird , people striking up conversations in the loo.

"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2378 on: January 25, 2023, 12:47:41 pm »

Just last night, in my extended Sopranos re-watch, Johnny Sack was on the crapper in the Bing talking to Tony... ;D

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2379 on: January 25, 2023, 12:53:32 pm »

Depends where it is, in a urinal where they commend you on your cock would be flattering but sense that may not be ok for others

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2380 on: January 25, 2023, 01:03:23 pm »
Depends where it is, in a urinal where they commend you on your cock would be flattering but sense that may not be ok for others

;D

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #2381 on: January 25, 2023, 01:05:08 pm »
Still WFH 5 days a week, although now in a different job to before. The office is in London and only been there to pick up my laptop.

They do want staff to be in two days a week but most don't listen and it doesn't apply to me as I live 150 miles away and it's a contract role.

The team I was in at my old company are still all  WFH too. They have a policy that if the client wants them onsite for training then they will go but that hasn't happened as of yet

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2382 on: January 25, 2023, 01:06:33 pm »
Was working from home 2 years before the pandemic hit anyway, as of now I don't think the company even has an office anyway.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2383 on: January 25, 2023, 01:14:02 pm »
Outside the usual suspects? ;D
Yep, even weirder :)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2384 on: January 25, 2023, 01:45:45 pm »

As someone who has 101k posts on a footie forum, I am shocked to read that  ;)

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2385 on: January 25, 2023, 02:09:56 pm »
Just last night, in my extended Sopranos re-watch, Johnny Sack was on the crapper in the Bing talking to Tony... ;D
President Johnson did not mess around. He was constantly on the telephone, making dozens of calls every day, and was known for using more than one phone at a time. Apparently he wanted to get some serious talking done, because nowhere was off limits for conversation. Rather than put a conversation on hold, he would have reporters and aides follow him into the bathroom where the dialogue was supposed to continue. Needless to say this often inspired discomfort.

Johnson is reported to have had conversations while exposing his genitals, urinating in the sink, and sitting on the toilet, but as far as the observers could tell, it never caused him any embarrassment. Some presume that his actions stemmed from a desire to show his power and to put others in an awkward position so that he could better control the conversation. Possibly he simply didn’t want to stop talking.

But surely the President wouldn’t behave this way in front of women or influential people . . . right? Wrong. Presidential historian and former White House aide Doris Kearns Goodwin remembers not only regularly accompanying him to the restroom, but also his criticism of his National Security Advisor’s response when asked to accompany him in a similar manner. Apparently extremely uncomfortable with the situation, McGeorge Bundy stood in the farthest corner of the bathroom with his back toward Johnson. The president, dissatisfied with the speaking arrangements, said, “Come closer, come closer.” Bundy complied, and Johnson later remarked, “I thought he was going to sit on my lap! Hasn’t that guy ever been in the Army?”

https://knowledgenuts.com/lyndon-johnson-held-meetings-on-the-toilet/
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2386 on: January 25, 2023, 02:13:56 pm »
haha, I'm going to turn that into a euphemism. I'm just off for a chat with president Johnson.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2387 on: January 25, 2023, 02:26:40 pm »
I was thinking more along the lines of Begby in Trainspotting when he finds Renton in the bogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Fhia3kEMI

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2388 on: January 25, 2023, 02:31:05 pm »
As someone who has 101k posts on a footie forum, I am shocked to read that  ;)

Fair. :D

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2389 on: January 27, 2023, 06:53:58 am »
Seems the bosses don't like it.  Funny how control freaks don't like not having total control.

BBC News - Most bosses want staff back in offices says Tony Danker

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64420266

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2390 on: January 27, 2023, 07:58:43 am »
Do you think for some bosses, seeing all the people working for them every day gives them a buzz?
I think some would in a greedy way. And some one because they crave the social contact and geninunley want to see their staff.  It's absolutely not the same over zoom.  That wouldn't affect employee productivity, just feel good for the boss.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2391 on: January 27, 2023, 08:10:16 am »
Do you think for some bosses, seeing all the people working for them every day gives them a buzz?
I think some would in a greedy way. And some one because they crave the social contact and geninunley want to see their staff.  It's absolutely not the same over zoom.  That wouldn't affect employee productivity, just feel good for the boss.

I do think some love the feeling of power of having all these people beavering away while they Lord it over them.

Some days I take the piss, but in years I've worked in my dept, I've more than earned enough hours in lieu to do this. I doubt I could cope with being back in the office it's just not an easy environment to work in, too noisy, too many interruptions, too many distractions. Luckily our top bosses like to save money and work is still delivered on time across the departments wfh. We'd have to triple the size of the office to get everyone back

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2392 on: January 27, 2023, 12:20:51 pm »
I read an article yesterday about Monk Mode. It's kind of like the pomodoro technique but more hardcore.   You lock yourself away from the world until a task is complete. It takes discipline to build up to it (and an ability to tell colleagues\bosses\partners that you are in this mode) and to figure out how long you can be in the mode without getting around to the distractions that do need to be dealt with. Sometimes I need 20 mins pure focus sometimes a couple of hours . I don't think I can focus for more than that. But the pomodoro 20 mins or whatever would force me to stop what I'm doing for a bit!

Now I think about it, it's similar to what they were saying yesterday about super elite athletes. They have supreme focus throughout their career. Massive achievers (olympic golds at multiple games). They are often bastards to be around because they are so super focussed. We don't need that but 'in the zone time' is invaluable.

Anyway.  I came in here to find out, if people can generally work on the train. I know Rob and others are like me and are 'developers'. I just can't work on a train.  I don't know if it's the mental aspect or the physical need for screen, keyboard and mouse.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2393 on: January 27, 2023, 12:26:12 pm »
The mass WFH during Covid really helped me out because my current company realised they could start to offer jobs to remote workers instead of local people.  I work from Nottingham but my office is in Glasgow.  Good times.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2394 on: January 27, 2023, 01:01:45 pm »
WFH is still brilliant. I wouldn't have it any other way (go into office when I want).

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2395 on: January 27, 2023, 01:19:09 pm »
Really like how people are just not listening to what we are told.

"Don't come into the office to just sit on zoom calls all day"

Surrounded by three fellas who work in the same team and are all sat on the same fucking zoom call this morning.

Well done guys

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2396 on: January 27, 2023, 01:28:36 pm »
I read an article yesterday about Monk Mode. It's kind of like the pomodoro technique but more hardcore.   You lock yourself away from the world until a task is complete. It takes discipline to build up to it (and an ability to tell colleagues\bosses\partners that you are in this mode) and to figure out how long you can be in the mode without getting around to the distractions that do need to be dealt with. Sometimes I need 20 mins pure focus sometimes a couple of hours . I don't think I can focus for more than that. But the pomodoro 20 mins or whatever would force me to stop what I'm doing for a bit!

Now I think about it, it's similar to what they were saying yesterday about super elite athletes. They have supreme focus throughout their career. Massive achievers (olympic golds at multiple games). They are often bastards to be around because they are so super focussed. We don't need that but 'in the zone time' is invaluable.

Anyway.  I came in here to find out, if people can generally work on the train. I know Rob and others are like me and are 'developers'. I just can't work on a train.  I don't know if it's the mental aspect or the physical need for screen, keyboard and mouse.

"Monk mode" is how I (and I think many others) finished my university degree. Write until you are too tired, fall asleep, wake up at 3am and write for 2 hours, fall asleep again. ;D That and lots of tea.

I commuted on the train for nearly 10 years, think I worked during the commute less than 5 times. I remember needing to get a presentation done once, that was it. It was too much hassle on the crowded train, and I felt better taking the time to chill in what were 14 hour days. Oh and post on rawk.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #2397 on: January 27, 2023, 01:41:23 pm »

I've done some work on the train but very rarely, train time is my time, particularly when travelling after working hours.

Personally I would rather read a book, also you have people watching over your shoulder which isn't great either

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2398 on: January 27, 2023, 02:21:26 pm »
The mass WFH during Covid really helped me out because my current company realised they could start to offer jobs to remote workers instead of local people.  I work from Nottingham but my office is in Glasgow.  Good times.

Its been great for me, but it allowed our company to close nearly 300 Branches, making the majority "virtual" branches, make loads redundant and have the remaining staff sat at home, taking orders for deliveries and directing them to our RDC branches if they actually wanted to collect the stuff themselves.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2399 on: March 28, 2023, 09:03:55 am »
At my work, my team has been remote since March 2020. Last year we started a monthly day in the office. Anyway, I hated the town where the office was and decided sell my flat there and to move back up North for various reasons (Dad needing a bit more support etc). Completed 2 weeks ago. I am now 350 miles away from the office.

A week later (last week), my company decides everyone has to be in the office 40% of the time. 😂

That’s a no from me, folks.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly