Author Topic: Rick and Morty  (Read 41838 times)

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rick and Morty
« Reply #320 on: January 25, 2023, 03:30:55 pm »
The problem with a lot of these accusations/proceedings is that even in circumstances where people are cleared, the process tends to unearth a lot of unpleasant stuff about how people behave. Whether that crosses the threshold into criminal behaviour isn't always clear. Ched Evans was cleared of a criminal offence but the details of what he did on that particular occasion are still murky and unpleasant. The DMs referred to above are deeply troubling.

Sometimes it ends up becoming a moral rather than a legal question. Adult Swim are presumably thinking that if they can develop a season of R&M without him and it's a success, they never need to bring him back.

I guess the question is whether removing him from the show really counts as addressing the situation, since presumably he'll continue to profit off future seasons.

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #321 on: January 25, 2023, 04:35:45 pm »
The Venture Bros. is better.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: January 25, 2023, 06:03:57 pm »
Even if he's found not guilty of the DV charge, there's enough leaked texts of him DMing some pretty creepy and bizarre stuff with minors, them asking him to stop, and him continuing anyway to ensure he's not coming back. There's also some stuff he's said on podcasts way back too that are of a similar nature - stuff with minors, supposedly. Just seems like an all round creep and a predator

Yeah the screenshots alone are rightly enough to finish him.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #323 on: January 25, 2023, 06:16:46 pm »
Yeah the screenshots alone are rightly enough to finish him.

It's been said countless times about various people but I still can't believe anyone in the public sphere with THAT much to lose takes the risk of messaging people in a way that anyone could screenshot and share.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: January 25, 2023, 07:00:37 pm »
He's been sacked from Solar Opposites as well
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #325 on: January 26, 2023, 01:41:15 am »
The latest episodes have been superb.
I couldn't even make it through the whole of the last season, and this show used to be unmissable for me. Now it's a mixture of tasteless, hateful and boring.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #326 on: January 26, 2023, 09:05:54 am »
I couldn't even make it through the whole of the last season, and this show used to be unmissable for me. Now it's a mixture of tasteless, hateful and boring.

yeh - way too much throw-away glorified violence and can come across as 'preachy' these days

get back to being intelligent philosophical weird and... funny please
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: January 27, 2023, 12:00:50 am »
I havent seen the last one or possibly two seasons, so don't know if it has really deteriorated to the point that it should be ended - but I was under the impression Roiland pretty much just does voices and barely writes post-early seasons and is mostly kept out of the writers room (potentially directly because of being a creep).

If it's worth continuing, no reason to stop it just for a voice guy - pretty much the most replaceable/least important part

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #328 on: January 27, 2023, 10:06:24 am »
Also its not too hard to invent a reason their voices changed and nobody notices.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: January 28, 2023, 10:25:35 am »
Also its not too hard to invent a reason their voices changed and nobody notices.

I've seen a video of a guy (think  he's a voice actor) doing a pretty damn accurate Rick and Morty impression, so if they can pull that off - no reason they wont be able to carry on.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: January 29, 2023, 11:36:36 am »
What is the actual appeal of Rick & Morty?

All it amounts to is nerd humour, projecting their male insecurities through nihilism and hatefulness, passing it off as 'satire'. That seems vindicated now given how much of a nasty person the creator is. In general, its cynical premise is so typical of most adult cartoons today.  It's low hanging fruit and worlds away from the genius of classic The Simpsons where its genius lay in its heart and depth.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 11:38:37 am by mattD »

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: February 6, 2023, 09:49:32 am »
What is the actual appeal of Rick & Morty?

All it amounts to is nerd humour, projecting their male insecurities through nihilism and hatefulness, passing it off as 'satire'. That seems vindicated now given how much of a nasty person the creator is. In general, its cynical premise is so typical of most adult cartoons today.  It's low hanging fruit and worlds away from the genius of classic The Simpsons where its genius lay in its heart and depth.

whats the appeal?  its funny, the earlier seasons are some of the best and, imo, the most original writing out there.  The latter seasons are a bit hit and miss but it still has its moments.

In terms of animated sitcoms, holding anything up to classic Simpsons is a fools errand, but put R&M against anything post season 10 Simpsons and its lights years ahead.  Even modern Simpsons goes for the low hanging fruit these days.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: February 6, 2023, 12:15:40 pm »
It's gone downhill of late but at its peak, Rick and Morty was a very smart, thematically ambitious and hugely creative sci-fi show that explored adult emotions in a three-dimensional way, even if they often weren't nice ones. Futurama for instance had a lot of heart but it didn't have much to say about real-life adult relationships. If all you see in the relationships between the characters here is nihilsm and hatefulness, that probably says more about you than the show.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: October 16, 2023, 05:22:14 pm »
Season 7 started last night.

It was an okay opener. Different people voicing the titular characters, I never really noticed any difference.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #334 on: October 16, 2023, 05:51:51 pm »
Didn't the guy who wrote it get sacked? I mean you can replace the voice but surely if he's head writer or something how do you replace the ideas?

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: October 16, 2023, 06:16:33 pm »
Didn't the guy who wrote it get sacked? I mean you can replace the voice but surely if he's head writer or something how do you replace the ideas?

Co-creator and co-writer. The writing team is probably at least 10 people strong.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: October 17, 2023, 10:15:41 am »
Season 7 started last night.

It was an okay opener. Different people voicing the titular characters, I never really noticed any difference.

The guy who now voices Rick was on point, Mr poopy butt-hole on the other hand was quite noticable that it wasn't quite right.  Still, decent opener but nothing special.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #337 on: October 18, 2023, 01:42:13 pm »
Enjoyed the first episode. The Rick voice acting is indistinguishable from the original one, Morty not quite so much.

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: November 7, 2023, 06:11:21 pm »
Not a big fan of this season so far but really enjoyed the latest one (spaghetti episode). Started off funny even if a little crass but was quite moving and thought provoking in the end which I didn't see coming.

It's starting to feel like the show is going downhill similar to Community but feel like with Harmon there will always be at least a couple of great episodes each season. I'm still invested in the overarching storyline so more than happy to keep watching even if the quality stays patchy.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #339 on: November 7, 2023, 06:29:23 pm »
The latest season of Solar Opposites has been great fun. Might rewatch it all ;D

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #340 on: November 7, 2023, 07:18:02 pm »
Me and the missus realised what was so jarring about the Rick voice. He doesn't burp :P. It's like someone doing an impression of a Rick voice than actually playing Rick. I know that's the point but it doesn't sit well.

Solar Opposites has got past it far better. Dan Stevens is a great addition and a great approach to take with the recasting. I love the episodes in The Wall.

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: November 7, 2023, 10:23:07 pm »
Me and the missus realised what was so jarring about the Rick voice. He doesn't burp :P. It's like someone doing an impression of a Rick voice than actually playing Rick. I know that's the point but it doesn't sit well.

I had to Google this to confirm I wasn't misremembering but he stopped burping (or at least stopped burping as much) a few seasons back. Apparently Justin Roiland uses to drink while recording and when he stopped doing that he couldn't burp on queue. I guess Rick hasn't been shown drinking or drunk in the more recent seasons so it makes sense with the story too.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #342 on: November 8, 2023, 08:01:26 am »
The last episode was not funny at all

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #343 on: November 8, 2023, 12:42:26 pm »
Best episode for a long time. Just the right  hilarious mix of ridiculous, disturbing and thought-provoking.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #344 on: November 9, 2023, 11:06:28 pm »
Best episode for a long time. Just the right  hilarious mix of ridiculous, disturbing and thought-provoking.

Episode one was a little meh but every one so far has been a banger and this was thumping.