Author Topic: Draft Towers  (Read 320063 times)

Online Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Draft Towers
« Reply #5760 on: January 11, 2023, 03:10:04 pm »
I'll give it a go as long as we do the 70's at some point.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #5761 on: January 11, 2023, 03:18:44 pm »
Yes, please.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5762 on: January 11, 2023, 03:20:10 pm »
Gong to be travelling the next two weeks, so put me down as a maybe. I'll join if you need the numbers.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline dis_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #5763 on: January 12, 2023, 06:15:30 pm »
If i remember to check my PMs I'll do the films too

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #5764 on: January 13, 2023, 11:14:02 am »
IN for films

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5765 on: January 13, 2023, 03:56:00 pm »
Where's the film thread Haze?

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5766 on: January 13, 2023, 04:39:18 pm »
Where's the film thread Haze?

Some of us have a life you know.

Not me of course so I'll set it up shortly.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5767 on: January 18, 2023, 07:05:06 am »
Must be time for a super hero draft again? :):)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5768 on: January 18, 2023, 01:33:16 pm »
Must be time for a super hero draft again? :):)

Yeah, but we'd need to one slightly diffrent to the last one mate.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5769 on: January 18, 2023, 01:50:33 pm »
Yeah, but we'd need to one slightly diffrent to the last one mate.

I was thinking about doing one with movie characters rather than comic characters for the second addition and/or choosing on favourites rather than power level.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5770 on: January 18, 2023, 06:36:49 pm »
Either would be fun! unleash the nerds!

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5771 on: January 18, 2023, 06:41:50 pm »
I was thinking about doing one with movie characters rather than comic characters for the second addition and/or choosing on favourites rather than power level.
Great idea

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5772 on: January 29, 2023, 04:05:23 pm »
Gutted after that.

What's next? :P

Online Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5773 on: January 29, 2023, 09:02:57 pm »
60s and 70s combined i hope. Would love to see what others would pick, wouldn't ever care about the voting.

Movie characters would be fun as well. Potential arguments there.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5774 on: January 29, 2023, 09:09:44 pm »
60's/70's would be good. I wouldn't mind opening up to any movies pre-1980 and lifting some of the restrictions.

Movie characters would be good, I'd be sound with either.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5775 on: January 30, 2023, 02:10:32 pm »
60's/70's would be good. I wouldn't mind opening up to any movies pre-1980 and lifting some of the restrictions.

Movie characters would be good, I'd be sound with either.

Yeah, I'd open it up to all decades not yet done. But I think we can keep the categories if we just bump a few together like horror/scifi/fantasy and action/adventure/western. Doubt we'll get anywhere like 16 drafters, so shouldn't be too tricky anyway.

Movie character would be fun too. Think we did something like that before, except we made them fight  ;D

Other thing I was thinking of was an all-time TV draft following a similar line to the movie drafts with different categories etc.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5776 on: January 30, 2023, 03:45:43 pm »
Yeah, I'd open it up to all decades not yet done. But I think we can keep the categories if we just bump a few together like horror/scifi/fantasy and action/adventure/western. Doubt we'll get anywhere like 16 drafters, so shouldn't be too tricky anyway.

Movie character would be fun too. Think we did something like that before, except we made them fight  ;D

Other thing I was thinking of was an all-time TV draft following a similar line to the movie drafts with different categories etc.

Movie Characters but assemble a team and the voting is based on team dynamic! So power isn't the overarching requirement.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5777 on: January 30, 2023, 04:01:21 pm »
Movie Characters but assemble a team and the voting is based on team dynamic! So power isn't the overarching requirement.

Definitely want to do another Marvel vs DC draft too. Currently thinking we could tier it by power level, so each drafter picks like so...

- 1 x God/eternal/titan-level pick (think Superman, Thanos, Galactus level)

- 2 x powered/enhanced beings (Batman, Spiderman, Magneto etc)

- 2 x street-level non-powered/low level powers (Daredevil, Black Widow, Harley Quinn etc)

Although this could cause a lot of arguments too  ;D

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5778 on: January 30, 2023, 04:21:45 pm »
Daredevil is technically an enhanced being while Batman isn't. I don't say that to be pedantic, just to indicate splitting by power level would be subjective unless there's some kind of reference point.

I'd be up for movie characters but i'd suggest a) No super powers and b) Give them some kind of task to perform: a bank heist or a spy mission or something.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5779 on: January 30, 2023, 04:35:29 pm »
Daredevil is technically an enhanced being while Batman isn't. I don't say that to be pedantic, just to indicate splitting by power level would be subjective unless there's some kind of reference point.

Yes, I know that. That's why there would have to be some common sense with the tier-ing. I mean surely everyone knows that Batman could go toe-to-toe with plenty of powered beings. I also deliberately used the word street-level, as Daredevil is never seen fighting top tier guys whereas Batman is. I also used enhanced not to mean powers, but enhanced kit - i.e. Iron Man has his suit, which makes him enhanced to fight on the same level as powered guys.

It's a tricky one I know, but last time out because there was a complete free for all it meant most of the low-tier/unpowered heroes were left out. That's a shame IMO and some of them are my personal favourites. I remember Joker went in round 1, but his team ultimately got destroyed because he was outmatched fighting heroes outside his power-level. I'd like to see a comic book draft where Gambit is just as useful a pick as Thanos is and making tiers is the only way I can see that working remotely.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5780 on: January 30, 2023, 04:42:51 pm »
Batman is a street-level superhero. He spends his time picking up muggers and thugs and fighting against crime bosses and escaped maniacs. The only time he fights superpowered beings is when he's in the Justice League. He's their Hawkeye, if Hawkeye was also a brilliant strategist and martial artist. Anyway, my point is that it's a good idea in theory but probably too subjective to do in practice.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5781 on: January 30, 2023, 05:14:05 pm »
Batman is a street-level superhero. He spends his time picking up muggers and thugs and fighting against crime bosses and escaped maniacs. The only time he fights superpowered beings is when he's in the Justice League. He's their Hawkeye, if Hawkeye was also a brilliant strategist and martial artist. Anyway, my point is that it's a good idea in theory but probably too subjective to do in practice.

You're right. I'm not a big DC fan, so I was skimming over that. But he's also (to my knowledge) fighting alongside Superman, Wonder Woman et al in the Justice League against far greater foes. Batman is on the level of a lot of powered guys and I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

I agree about the subjectivity though. Batman is an easier case compared to many others. I'd like to find a way for X-men level guys and humans to get some love though. So if you anyone has any other ideas that would be great? I ran the last one very tightly with a HUGE banned list if you recall, so if I have to do the same kind of thing to pull off this then I don't mind that either.

For reference here's what we did last time out -

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=320165.0

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5782 on: January 30, 2023, 05:15:15 pm »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5783 on: January 30, 2023, 05:17:32 pm »
It's such a fluid thing, Spider-Man is a street level hero but he's crazy powerful and helps out fighting big hitters all the time.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5784 on: January 30, 2023, 05:17:45 pm »
My stable was really good but as usual no one votes for me because it's Samie.  8)

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5785 on: January 30, 2023, 05:30:33 pm »
It's such a fluid thing, Spider-Man is a street level hero but he's crazy powerful and helps out fighting big hitters all the time.

Good point. Let's ditch the word street level  :D

We could have a human/non powered category, but then you've got the Iron Man/Batman outliers that ruin it. That also doesn't solve the low powered mutants etc getting any love

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5786 on: February 1, 2023, 04:15:05 pm »
So...

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5787 on: February 1, 2023, 07:25:49 pm »
Pre-1980's movie draft.

Cat 1. Action/War/Western
Cat 2. Thriller/Crime
Cat 3. Drama/Romance
Cat 4. Comedy/Adventure/Fantasy
Cat 5. Sci-Fi/Horror
Cat 6. Wildcard (pick whatever you like) x 2

Thoughts?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5788 on: February 2, 2023, 12:04:37 am »
All good but don;t see why we have to pick 2 wildcards.  :D

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #5789 on: February 2, 2023, 01:39:33 am »
Pre-1980's movie draft.

Cat 2. Thriller/Crime
Cat 3. Drama/Romance
Cat 5. Sci-Fi/Horror

Thoughts?

Yes, please.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5790 on: February 2, 2023, 01:46:57 am »
All good but don;t see why we have to pick 2 wildcards.  :D

Swap one wildcard back for family/animation? This is the age of all the great Disney classics. Shouldn't be too hard.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5791 on: February 2, 2023, 08:27:03 am »
What about battle of the bands?

Cat 1. Lead Singer
Cat 2. Lead Guitar
Cat 3. Bass Guitar
Cat 4. Drummer
Cat 5. Support
Cat 6. Guest Singer
Cat 7. Song

None can be from the same band.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5792 on: February 2, 2023, 02:08:29 pm »
Pre-1980's movie draft.

Cat 2. Thriller/Crime
Cat 3. Drama/Romance
Cat 5. Sci-Fi/Horror

Thoughts?
Would leave Musicals as a category next to Comedy for this draft, as it was the peak age for them and there are lots of great ones to pick from, for those who want to. Would add a family/animation category, as Betts suggested, but would also add to it the Adventure category, as it seems misplaced next to comedy. I can't think of many, if any, great fantasy movies pre-80s, so I would leave that one out. Another one I always forget, I think we should add a Mystery category next to Thriller/Crime or Horror/Sci-Fi. On every draft, I try picking a movie thinking it would be classified as a thriller and it's only on Mystery. Think several have had the same problem too, so that would alleviate it.

So all in all, this is how I would break it down:

Cat 2. Thriller/Crime/Mystery
Cat 3. Drama/Romance
Cat 4. Comedy/Musicals
Cat 5. Sci-Fi/Horror
Cat 6. Family/Animation/Adventure
Cat 7. Wildcard (pick whatever you like)

Also, I would leave out the blockbuster, indie and the year's rules. But would add a different rule, that at least three different decades must be represented.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2023, 02:13:27 pm by Lastrador »

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5793 on: February 2, 2023, 05:14:35 pm »
Would leave Musicals as a category next to Comedy for this draft, as it was the peak age for them and there are lots of great ones to pick from, for those who want to. Would add a family/animation category, as Betts suggested, but would also add to it the Adventure category, as it seems misplaced next to comedy. I can't think of many, if any, great fantasy movies pre-80s, so I would leave that one out. Another one I always forget, I think we should add a Mystery category next to Thriller/Crime or Horror/Sci-Fi. On every draft, I try picking a movie thinking it would be classified as a thriller and it's only on Mystery. Think several have had the same problem too, so that would alleviate it.

So all in all, this is how I would break it down:

Cat 3. Drama/Romance
Cat 4. Comedy/Musicals
Cat 5. Sci-Fi/Horror
Cat 6. Family/Animation/Adventure

Also, I would leave out the blockbuster, indie and the year's rules. But would add a different rule, that at least three different decades must be represented.

Agreed on all fronts, except adventure with family/animation. That will probably lead to films like Mad Max and Easy Rider in there  :D

Could slot it in with action instead, but maybe easier just to sacrifice adventure along with fantasy rather than shoehorn it in somewhere?

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5794 on: February 2, 2023, 05:27:28 pm »

Nice one mate, following Betty's post, something like:

Cat 3. Drama/Romance
Cat 4. Comedy/Musicals
Cat 5. Sci-Fi/Horror
Cat 6. Family/Animation

* 3 different decades must be represented.
* Only 1 movie per director.
* No repeated lead actors.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5795 on: February 2, 2023, 09:18:20 pm »
Agreed on all fronts, except adventure with family/animation. That will probably lead to films like Mad Max and Easy Rider in there  :D

Could slot it in with action instead, but maybe easier just to sacrifice adventure along with fantasy rather than shoehorn it in somewhere?
Yeah, I thought that was a possibility. So yeah probably better to scrap it altogether. You can fit any adventure film into another genre anyway.

Nice one mate, following Betty's post, something like:

Cat 3. Drama/Romance
Cat 4. Comedy/Musicals
Cat 5. Sci-Fi/Horror
Cat 6. Family/Animation

* 3 different decades must be represented.
* Only 1 movie per director.
* No repeated lead actors.
Looks good mate.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5796 on: February 2, 2023, 10:11:13 pm »
Looks good mate.

+ 1 x foreign language pick? Should be easy as pie in these decades.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5797 on: February 2, 2023, 10:18:45 pm »
Really? I imagine that would be quite difficult.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5798 on: February 2, 2023, 10:28:58 pm »
Really? I imagine that would be quite difficult.

It depends how much you know about French, Italian, and Japanese cinema  :D  Some of the greatest films in these decades are probably foreign to be honest.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5799 on: February 2, 2023, 10:32:00 pm »
It depends how much you know about French, Italian, and Japanese cinema  :D  Some of the greatest films in these decades are probably foreign to be honest.

True, let's see what others say.