Author Topic: Cat advice thread  (Read 105745 times)

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
Re: Cat advice thread
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2014, 01:37:15 pm »
Welcome back Maggie :wave

Cheers my friend.   :-*  Many thanks. That means a lot.   :wave
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2014, 01:38:33 pm »
Cheers my friend.   :-*  Many thanks. That means a lot.   :wave

Always good to see you back. Happy birthday!

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2014, 01:45:26 pm »
Always good to see you back. Happy birthday!

And to see you my friend.  Thank you so much for making my birthday a happy one.  You have always been most very kind and an outstanding support to me.   I am deeply grateful. 

Best love xxx Sandra

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2014, 01:52:14 pm »
And to see you my friend.  Thank you so much for making my birthday a happy one.  You have always been most very kind and an outstanding support to me.   I am deeply grateful. 

Best love xxx Sandra

You're more than welcome. You've always been a fantastic help to me when I needed someone, and for that I am always grateful. So returning that in any small way is my pleasure.

Much love
Gregg

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2014, 02:25:55 pm »
She might be stressed - has something changed in the household recently? Do you have another cat?
If not, just as with dogs, you need to ensure there are rules in the house. If she's been indulged at mealtimes as a tiny kitten (always easy to do!) she will continue to cause trouble now she's bigger. It's not too late so start enforcing consistent rules on behaviour with the stern 'No' word and putting her firmly down on the floor. Cats don't much like being stared at, so I have always given the transgressors a hard stare as well as the No - just for second.

This has to be from all in the household and consistently. No giving in when you get the wide-eyed 'Puss-in-Boots' begging look.

Cats are trainable but they will take advantage of any and all lapses of consistency, as well as playing you emotionally if they can.

If stressed, look into fitting some Feliway pheromone dispensers. That helps spread a scent of ease and all is right with the word (in cat senses).

We do have another cat who is older and a bit of a bully.  They have a kind of live and let live relationship but if the little one gets a bit too frisky the big one puts her in her place. 

I'm thinking it's just general kitten naughtyness at the minute, jumping on counters and stuff like that.  We can handle pushing her away when we're eating but the early morning faffing and scratching the doors is annoying.  It would make sense if they were closed and she wanted to come in but more often than not, they're open.  Something to deter the door scratching would be ideal.

She's also being a right bugger about eating the bigger cat's food, which isn't ideal the big cat is on a strict diet with special food from the vet - not cheap!  We've tried moving it, putting it on shelves, behind stuff etc yet you'll always find her munching away.  It's kinda cute, but annoying!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 02:31:45 pm by wampa1 »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #125 on: September 30, 2014, 02:40:14 pm »
Having the same issues with ours though its not every night.

With ours we tire it out before we go to bed. We got it a harness and lead so he can go outside and wander for a bit.

We also bought one of those travel kit spritz bottles and if it gets bad then it gets a small spray with some water.

Just keep re-enforcing the stern looks, NO!, spray bottle and then removing it from the room (like a time out area) until it stops

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: September 30, 2014, 02:43:41 pm »
Yeah, she used to be a bugger before bed but like you, we tire her out with some pretty intense play (I didn't know cats could pant until we got ours but apparently it's normal, but only if it's after exercise which it is.)

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2014, 03:05:16 pm »
Didn't know we had a cat thread on here.

What do they eat, apart from tuna? There's a cat that comes to our house everyday, meowing every morning and evening but it doesn't play or drink anything, just eats. Even bought it a little house, never goes inside it unless we put food in it. I know it's a stray cat and that's probably their behaviour but it seems to always want to come inside aswell, just stands on the door meowing.

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2014, 03:06:55 pm »
Our cat has developed a bald patch behind his ear.

He's a house cat, has no contact with other cats, hasn't got fleas etc. It just seems to have appeared over night. It's quite a neat patch just bigger than a 5p.

Anyone think it's anything to be worried about?   

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2014, 03:09:23 pm »

He's a house cat, has no contact with other cats, hasn't got fleas etc. It just seems to have appeared over night. It's quite a neat patch just bigger than a 5p.

Does he scratch it?  Could be ear mites.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2014, 03:10:32 pm »
After years of describing myself as not a cat lover , I  finally gave up resistance for the happiness of my missus ( who loves cats) and my son ( who wanted a pet but with no one home all day a dog was out)...and I have to say I enjoy them immensely..two kittens ( female) eight weeks old and loads of fun..no doubt theres issues ahead ( as with all pets) ...but so far its a joy.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2014, 03:28:59 pm »
We do have another cat who is older and a bit of a bully.  They have a kind of live and let live relationship but if the little one gets a bit too frisky the big one puts her in her place. 

I'm thinking it's just general kitten naughtyness at the minute, jumping on counters and stuff like that.  We can handle pushing her away when we're eating but the early morning faffing and scratching the doors is annoying.  It would make sense if they were closed and she wanted to come in but more often than not, they're open.  Something to deter the door scratching would be ideal.

She's also being a right bugger about eating the bigger cat's food, which isn't ideal the big cat is on a strict diet with special food from the vet - not cheap!  We've tried moving it, putting it on shelves, behind stuff etc yet you'll always find her munching away.  It's kinda cute, but annoying!

I'd be pretty certain that what you have here is a territorial battle. By and large, cats hate other cats. Your kitten has grown up enough to begin the process of wanting to usurp the older cat and the older cat knows this - hence trying to bully the little one while she still can.

The scratching is territory marking, and because it gets your attention, has the benefit of making her the 'special one'. The older cat, by default, is therefore marginalised. This is likely to be the case with the food stealing too. Aside from the fact many 'special diet' foods are tastier than normal, the kitten raiding the older cat's food sends the message: 'Not long now, I'm in control oldster'.

You note that you find this 'cute' - which it is, but just as with naughty children, the kitten is getting all the attention for behaviour you actually want her to stop. Similar with 'pushing her away' when she tries to eat your food - not harsh enough to send the right message. I'll bet this is done with a smile and a giggle until she finally winds you up enough to say no. This sends all the wrong messages, but we're all guilty of it with a cute kitten.

You need to give the cats separate territories as much as possible. Set aside a room if you can for the older cat to have its bedding and or food. She should be fed behind a closed door, and first, so she can finish her special food. She goes first because she is the territory holder and should be treated as the dominant cat (until they work out the hierarchy themselves, once the kitten is grown). The kitten should not be given special privileges, and should also be fed in her own territorial space, different from the first. They should have separate litter trays - and if they go out, you should let them out at different times - again, with the older cat going first.

The kitten needs to be trained to respect the rules of the house and not indulged. The older cat needs to be petted and fussed as much as the kitten. The scratching should be punished with a scolding and if necessary, with a short spray of water. Good behaviour (i.e. scratching the appropriate post) should be rewarded with petting, and sometimes with a treat.

Don't expect your cats to get on. Even siblings tend to dislike each other most of the time. What you see as a 'live and let live' relationship is actually cold, bitter warfare. A newly introduced kitten with an established cat is the worst of all worlds. Just think how irritated you would be if someone set up home in your house with nary a 'by your leave' and promptly started eating your food and getting hugs off the spouse in preference to you.

I would also invest in the Feliway noted previously. This spreads a cat pheromone that communicates to all felines that the world is mellow. Along with the above, it will help smooth frayed nerves.

Best of luck!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:32:43 pm by The Repeated Meme »
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2014, 03:38:37 pm »

I'd always recommend you take the cat to a vet to have unexplained issues like the above checked out - especially symptoms that appear overnight.

In the meantime, this is a reasonably useful resource: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2141&aid=195

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2014, 03:49:56 pm »
I'd be pretty certain that what you have here is a territorial battle. By and large, cats hate other cats. Your kitten has grown up enough to begin the process of wanting to usurp the older cat and the older cat knows this - hence trying to bully the little one while she still can.
Yeah, there's definitely some territorial stuff going on, which is more apparent in the front room which is a no-man's land for them as neither really has any advantage in there

The scratching is territory marking, and because it gets your attention, has the benefit of making her the 'special one'. The older cat, by default, is therefore marginalised. This is likely to be the case with the food stealing too. Aside from the fact many 'special diet' foods are tastier than normal, the kitten raiding the older cat's food sends the message: 'Not long now, I'm in control oldster'.
I'd not really thought about the door scratching being a territory thing though.  That's interesting because 'her' room is mine whereas the big cat's room is my housemates yet it's the housemate's room door she scratches the most.  Maybe she's trying to 'move in'?

You note that you find this 'cute' - which it is, but just as with naughty children, the kitten is getting all the attention for behaviour you actually want her to stop. Similar with 'pushing her away' when she tries to eat your food - not harsh enough to send the right message. I'll bet this is done with a smile and a giggle until she finally winds you up enough to say no. This sends all the wrong messages, but we're all guilty of it with a cute kitten.
That's true but we are getting a lot more firm with her at meal times.

You need to give the cats separate territories as much as possible. Set aside a room if you can for the older cat to have its bedding and or food. She should be fed behind a closed door, and first, so she can finish her special food. She goes first because she is the territory holder and should be treated as the dominant cat (until they work out the hierarchy themselves, once the kitten is grown). The kitten should not be given special privileges, and should also be fed in her own territorial space, different from the first. They should have separate litter trays - and if they go out, you should let them out at different times - again, with the older cat going first.
They have their own rooms as mentioned earlier, and they are fed in their respective rooms.  They have their own little trays shich are at opposite ends of the dining room (we never eat in there before anyone raises an issue of hygene and the trays are covered).  The big one goes out but the little on doesn't yet.

The kitten needs to be trained to respect the rules of the house and not indulged. The older cat needs to be petted and fussed as much as the kitten. The scratching should be punished with a scolding and if necessary, with a short spray of water. Good behaviour (i.e. scratching the appropriate post) should be rewarded with petting, and sometimes with a treat.

Don't expect your cats to get on. Even siblings tend to dislike each other most of the time. What you see as a 'live and let live' relationship is actually cold, bitter warfare. A newly introduced kitten with an established cat is the worst of all worlds. Just think how irritated you would be if someone set up home in your house with nary a 'by your leave' and promptly started eating your food and getting hugs off the spouse in preference to you.

I would also invest in the Feliway noted previously. This spreads a cat pheromone that communicates to all felines that the world is mellow. Along with the above, it will help smooth frayed nerves.

Best of luck!
Ta!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2014, 03:53:02 pm »
As some may know, we have 4 cats. Coco who is around 4, Sonic is just over 2, and Fifi and Alonso who are just over 1 year.

One or more of the fucktrons is pissing/spraying all over the place. On the sofa, in the corner, under the stairs, on the kitchen counter, at the patio door. We don't know if it just one doing it or 2/3 or all 4. What we do know, is it's fucking us right off. We're pretty sure we know who is doing it at the patio door, Alonso, but we know for certain he isn't doing it on the kitchen counter as he cant get up on it. We have moved his litter tray to the patio door, but if it is him, he is still spraying or pissing on the floor beside it. We had to bin our microwave last week as twice in one day we found spray or piss all over it. I'm so close to suggesting we stop letting them in the house but I know for certain she won't do that, and will rather moan and huff about having to clean cat piss all the fucking time.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2014, 03:57:51 pm »
Our little one has pissed on my bed three times.  The first time was obvious why; the litter tray wasn't available as it was being cleaned.  The third time I'm fairly sure my housemate had trapped her in my room whilst the mobile hairdresser came round (though she denies this).  I can't account for the second time but it's been months since she last did it.

Have your lot been 'fixed'?  Males are more prone to spraying and if there are 4 of them then territory will be an issue.  I'd recommend picking up a spray called Simple Solution.  I'd already bought a new duvet after the first time she pissed on it and didn't fancy getting another one.  The spray 100% got rid of the stain and the smell (along with a normal wash of course).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:59:36 pm by wampa1 »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2014, 04:20:20 pm »
Our little one has pissed on my bed three times.  The first time was obvious why; the litter tray wasn't available as it was being cleaned.  The third time I'm fairly sure my housemate had trapped her in my room whilst the mobile hairdresser came round (though she denies this).  I can't account for the second time but it's been months since she last did it.

Have your lot been 'fixed'?  Males are more prone to spraying and if there are 4 of them then territory will be an issue.  I'd recommend picking up a spray called Simple Solution.  I'd already bought a new duvet after the first time she pissed on it and didn't fancy getting another one.  The spray 100% got rid of the stain and the smell (along with a normal wash of course).

We have 2 male and 2 female. We've no issues with the cleaning products and getting rid of the smell, but they just keep doing it. It's been going on for months.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2014, 04:32:25 pm »
One or more of the fucktrons is pissing/spraying all over the place. On the sofa, in the corner, under the stairs, on the kitchen counter, at the patio door. We don't know if it just one doing it or 2/3 or all 4. What we do know, is it's fucking us right off. We're pretty sure we know who is doing it at the patio door, Alonso, but we know for certain he isn't doing it on the kitchen counter as he cant get up on it. We have moved his litter tray to the patio door, but if it is him, he is still spraying or pissing on the floor beside it. We had to bin our microwave last week as twice in one day we found spray or piss all over it. I'm so close to suggesting we stop letting them in the house but I know for certain she won't do that, and will rather moan and huff about having to clean cat piss all the fucking time.

Just to be clear, is it spraying or pissing? The former is a territory marker by male cats - it will be up the wall or furniture. The latter is toilet behaviour, often nervous or stress and will be 'on' things. The microwave incident sounds like it's spraying, as does the door.

As wampa1 noted, have you had the male cats neutered? On first read, I'd say Alonso has not been, as spraying at the patio door at one year old is classic territory marking behaviour. He's saying he's dominant, and the other cats are getting anxious at the changes - perhaps why one or more are 'pissing themselves'.

All the cats should be neutered immediately if they haven't been. If they have, you might get Alonso checked at the vet to ensure all the 'bits' were properly removed as the hormonal behaviour can be influenced by even a small residual piece of testicle.

For the urine, you will be overjoyed to know that simply washing till the smell goes away is not enough. Cat urine contains lots of proteins and pheromones that stick despite normal washing. This then simply encourages the cats to go in the same place again - they are very much creatures of habit, and it's hard to break them out of a bad one.

You might want to invest in an ultraviolet lamp - this is useful for detecting the places you think are cleaned. And buy some enzymatic cleaner to thoroughly clean these areas (bicarbonate of soda is cheaper but less effective). Make sure the litter trays are scrupulously clean and cleaned out immediately they are used (at least until the cats use them regularly again). Have a separate tray for each cat.

Unfortunately, with four cats of different ages, you are going to get stress issues. Again, without wanting to sound like an advert, invest in some Feliway diffusers once you get the urine problems under control. It won't work however, if you have 'whole' cats, particularly young Alonso.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: September 30, 2014, 04:51:32 pm »

All of them are neutered. With Alonso being blind, he is also a bit stupid. So there is the possibility that he is pissing there as he can't see the tray. Although we only put the tray there after we found him pissing there.
The rest I would say it is spray thought. Feliway is our next step, and if that doesn't work, I've no idea what the fuck we are going to do.
We'll certainly get him checked though for any left over bits he may still have.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: October 1, 2014, 12:34:05 pm »
Lilypad was scratching at my housemate's door again last night before bed.  My door was open so I popped my head out and she just flopped on the floor for a belly rub.  Stroked her for a little bit and after some purring and flopping around she just went to bed.  Maybe she just wants the cat version of 'tucking in' before bedtime?

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #140 on: October 4, 2014, 02:11:29 pm »
Hey guys, need some advice.

So, I got my kitten, Maxi, almost 3 weeks ago. He was 12 weeks old when I got him and came from a lovely home with young children, 5 dogs, 10 other kittens and lots of other animals. We took him because it was clear he was well looked after, she wanted us to keep in touch and update her with photos and texts about how he was going, he was dewormed, deflead, litter trained etc...

We have booked him in for his injections and a general health check with the vet, which is on Monday.

Over the last few days though, he has been leaking from his bum. He's eating normally, drinking as normal and playing/sleeping like he always has. He seems to leak a runny substance, it doesn't smell but it's sometimes clear and brown in colour, and has a jelly-like substance in it.

When I took him home, the lady gave me a few tins of his cat food and said to keep him on that as his stomach will be sensitive and we shouldn't change his food. For the first week he wasn't really eating, so I bought a pouch of Whiskers and he wolfed it down, so we continued with that. Do we think that could be it??

Is it worth taking him to the vets now, or waiting until Monday?

He still uses his litter box, but sometimes on the way to the box or just after coming out he will leak.

Is it a case of an upset tummy or could it be something worse?

Reluctant to change his food, but I got some specific kitten dry food and he's had this this morning and no sign of any leakages yet... Want to keep him off the pouches of wet food for a few days until it's out of his system.

I will speak to the vet on Monday when he has his health check, but just wondering if it could be something more serious??

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: October 4, 2014, 07:25:57 pm »
As long as there's no blood and he's eating OK and not lethargic, I think it can wait till you see the vet on Monday. It might be anal gland secretion (but this smells horrendously) but is probably mild diarrhoea due to change of diet. I've never been much of a fan of wet food and Whiskas is a fairly nasty cheap concoction that may well have upset a sensitive stomach.

I don't think it's urgent but definitely check on Monday - sooner if you see blood. Lastly, he should be wormed regularly as a kitten - there may still be a worm burden in there even if he has already been done, especially with so many other animals in the previous household.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: October 4, 2014, 07:46:28 pm »
Our cat is a massive fat bastard.
I think partly in due to my partner feeding it on demand when it was younger, and partly because we have had to keep him in doors for the past 6 months after his brother died suddenly (suspected poisoning and all other cats in area disappeared with a few more reported dead).
He's been on low fat cat food, royale canin and eukanubu but he is definitely not getting any thinner.
He's supremely lazy, even for a cat, and was always much bigger than his brother even on when they were younger. Vet said he's just a big cat, but he looks bloody huge to me!
Any advice on getting a bit of the weight off him? We've been trying to make him play more but he's a cat, so if he doesn't want to do it he wont!
Maybe if there is better natural food we could be giving him on a diet perhaps?

Cheers in advance!

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: October 5, 2014, 09:23:52 am »
Our cat is a massive fat bastard.
I think partly in due to my partner feeding it on demand when it was younger, and partly because we have had to keep him in doors for the past 6 months after his brother died suddenly (suspected poisoning and all other cats in area disappeared with a few more reported dead).
He's been on low fat cat food, royale canin and eukanubu but he is definitely not getting any thinner.
He's supremely lazy, even for a cat, and was always much bigger than his brother even on when they were younger. Vet said he's just a big cat, but he looks bloody huge to me!
Any advice on getting a bit of the weight off him? We've been trying to make him play more but he's a cat, so if he doesn't want to do it he wont!
Maybe if there is better natural food we could be giving him on a diet perhaps?

Cheers in advance!

I think it would be helpful for you to google "Obesity in Cats" and have a read through.  PetMD is good.  They come down hard on dry or kibble food and recommend a protein diet.  Like everything else there are all sorts of diets being marketed, but I'm sure you already know to be careful.  Your vet doesn't seem to be overly worried, so perhaps he is just a big cat.  Being supremely lazy doesn't help as he's eating more than he's burning off by not going out (tho that doubtless saved his life from what you say).  But obesity does cause joint and other problems later in life, so you're wise to be aware, even though it sounds as if he always was a big lad.     

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: October 5, 2014, 01:18:48 pm »
I've never been much of a fan of wet food and Whiskas is a fairly nasty cheap concoction that may well have upset a sensitive stomach.

Really?

Quite embarrassed to say I didn't know this. I assumed it was the best around, just by how popular it was. Oh dear, the poor little thing had been living off of it for the last week.

I got him some kitten GoCat food, and he's eating that and the leaking has definitely reduced, it's almost stopped completely.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: October 5, 2014, 01:43:27 pm »
Really?

Quite embarrassed to say I didn't know this. I assumed it was the best around, just by how popular it was. Oh dear, the poor little thing had been living off of it for the last week.

I got him some kitten GoCat food, and he's eating that and the leaking has definitely reduced, it's almost stopped completely.

No.  Don't be embarrased.  You are quite rightly doing the best you can and clearly your kitten is responding.  Looks like a temporary change in diet blip.  Loads of joy to you both.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: October 5, 2014, 02:33:18 pm »

I think it would be helpful for you to google "Obesity in Cats" and have a read through.  PetMD is good.  They come down hard on dry or kibble food and recommend a protein diet.  Like everything else there are all sorts of diets being marketed, but I'm sure you already know to be careful.  Your vet doesn't seem to be overly worried, so perhaps he is just a big cat.  Being supremely lazy doesn't help as he's eating more than he's burning off by not going out (tho that doubtless saved his life from what you say).  But obesity does cause joint and other problems later in life, so you're wise to be aware, even though it sounds as if he always was a big lad.     

Thanks, i have had a look around, but with anything like this you get SSOOO many different opinions etc its hard to know where to start, have seen very few coming down hard on the dry food though so maybe that's worth a try, knocking it off and swapping to something else. We've reduced it down even more the past few days so will see how he gets on this week, i've always had cats, this is the first one ever to be such a monster!
Will look up advice re protein diets though thanks!

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: October 5, 2014, 02:47:17 pm »
Thanks, i have had a look around, but with anything like this you get SSOOO many different opinions etc its hard to know where to start, have seen very few coming down hard on the dry food though so maybe that's worth a try, knocking it off and swapping to something else. We've reduced it down even more the past few days so will see how he gets on this week, i've always had cats, this is the first one ever to be such a monster!
Will look up advice re protein diets though thanks!

I know.  It is very difficult.  I've always looked on dry as a standby, but it is difficult when you are working and come home having fed tin or pouch to horrid dried up grot, and wonder how much your mog actually ate before it got manky.  As with most things you just know your mog and can judge what fits (always in the knowledge your mog will run rings around you, obviously).   ;D 
« Last Edit: October 5, 2014, 02:49:08 pm by Maggie May »

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: October 5, 2014, 08:10:22 pm »
Really?

As Maggie rightly noted, no need to be embarrassed. I didn't mean to worry you. I was probably a bit over the top. Whiskas is acceptable but is inexpensive for a reason. Although it has the necessary taurine, it apparently uses poor quality ingredients which is why it smells a bit rancid. The manufacturers have a big marketing budget so it's well known. IAMS is much the same, yet that can often cause urinary tract infections and is worth swerving too.

Eating Whiskas or any other well known brand won't do any harm. I just think that whilst it may be a bit more expensive, feeding a quality product that's balanced for the individual cat is the best course of action. Cuts down on vet visits, for example. My cat eats better than I do!

If you trust your vet, they can give good advice on the best diet for your cat as he grows from kitten to adult.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: October 5, 2014, 08:36:41 pm »
As Maggie rightly noted, no need to be embarrassed. I didn't mean to worry you. I was probably a bit over the top. Whiskas is acceptable but is inexpensive for a reason. Although it has the necessary taurine, it apparently uses poor quality ingredients which is why it smells a bit rancid. The manufacturers have a big marketing budget so it's well known. IAMS is much the same, yet that can often cause urinary tract infections and is worth swerving too.

Eating Whiskas or any other well known brand won't do any harm. I just think that whilst it may be a bit more expensive, feeding a quality product that's balanced for the individual cat is the best course of action. Cuts down on vet visits, for example. [b ]My cat eats better than I do![/b]

If you trust your vet, they can give good advice on the best diet for your cat as he grows from kitten to adult.

Thank you for the compliment Meme  :wave     I'd say trust your instinct.  If your kitten likes Whiskas and is thriving on it then fine.  You may want to try other varieties as your cat gets older but of course that's up to you.  But you will doubtless be under the paw as Meme (see bolden above) and I am - but there's no harm in that either.  If you can, try and introduce some "human" food into your kitty's diet - raw liver for instance - perhaps in a while or so to get some protein into his diet.   You might want to

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: October 5, 2014, 08:45:33 pm »
...... Continued as my machine is going mad.

Mix a bit of raw food - liver, kidney, in with the tinned stuff and see what tickles your kitty's fancy.

As to vets - dunno.  They are so commercially motivated these days.  I'd just suggest you follow your instincts really. 

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #151 on: October 6, 2014, 06:54:38 am »
Any tips to stop cats shitting on my grass and garden. Getting a wee bit tired of ploughing through shit just to mow the lawn or tend to my chillies. Everyone knows im not a cat lover but its driving me mad. If i knew whose cat it was id scoop it up and post it back to the fuckers. We have dog shit bins, why not cat shit bins?
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: October 9, 2014, 10:54:54 am »
Me and the wife are getting a couple of kittens in a week or two - they'll be just over 10 weeks old when we get them. How long should we let them get accustomed to the house and surroundings before we let them venture out?

Also, anyone been watching the Horizon programs on Cats? Really fascinating stuff!
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: October 9, 2014, 12:19:29 pm »
Any tips to stop cats shitting on my grass and garden. Getting a wee bit tired of ploughing through shit just to mow the lawn or tend to my chillies. Everyone knows im not a cat lover but its driving me mad. If i knew whose cat it was id scoop it up and post it back to the fuckers. We have dog shit bins, why not cat shit bins?

Well  you should leave some food out.  In a carryout container or such.   They will not poo where they eat.   :wave

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: October 9, 2014, 12:37:58 pm »
Me and the wife are getting a couple of kittens in a week or two - they'll be just over 10 weeks old when we get them. How long should we let them get accustomed to the house and surroundings before we let them venture out?

Months.  You'll need to wait until they're 4/5/6 months old and then get them fixed, and then you'll need to wait until they're all fully healed up, so maybe another month or two after that.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #155 on: October 9, 2014, 12:57:28 pm »
So mine is coming along very nicely.

First big surprise was we found out that our girl kitten was in fact a boy (it got pretty hard to miss :P ). It did make it easier and cheaper to get him fixed which was nice. He's been microchipped and had all the flea, worm and boosters.

He has now settled in to the flat very well. Got him a fuck load of scratching posts and a cat tree so he can play and stop scratching the furniture.

He is still very 'bitey'. Most of the time its playful but he can go too far sometimes so he gets a spray of water or placed in the spare room and ignored. First few weeks my missus and I looked like self harmers ;)

My girlfriend got him a cat lead to take him out for small walks outside.

He'll have a mad half and hour around 9pm where he just legs it from room to room and he'll play fetch. The 4-5am wake ups are getting less and less which is good. The in-laws will take him in when we go on holiday next month so saves on cattery charges.

All-in-all its going well. Coping with the extra responsibility

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: October 9, 2014, 02:20:46 pm »
Months.  You'll need to wait until they're 4/5/6 months old and then get them fixed, and then you'll need to wait until they're all fully healed up, so maybe another month or two after that.

Months? Really? Also, Fixed? Healed?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: October 9, 2014, 03:41:37 pm »
Yeah, getting their bits sorted so that they aren't out making other kitties.  You get that done at around 4-6 months.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: October 10, 2014, 02:14:12 pm »
Thanks so much for all your advice on Maxi's poogate!

I changed his food last Saturday, from Whiskas pouches to some Purina dry kitten food and it has worked a treat! He loves the dry stuff as much as he was loving the pouch food and no more leaking!

Took him to the vets on Monday for his first checkup and he's in great health. He's very small for his age but the vet says she just thinks that is how he will be! His mother isn't very big either from what I saw when going to collect him.

He was brilliantly behaved at the vets and they absolutely loved him and his nature. He was very quiet on Monday night, he had a lazy night on the sofa! But he's back to full health now and bouncing around as normal!

Last night, he popped into bed with my and my fiancé. Popped himself under the covers in between us both, with his little head on the pillow and his right paw over the blanket like any normal person! Very cute - even when discovering it at 3 in the morning!

I've only had him for a month, but I absolutely adore him. It breaks my heart leaving him for any amount of time during the day/night!

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: October 10, 2014, 02:38:19 pm »
Thanks so much for all your advice on Maxi's poogate!

I changed his food last Saturday, from Whiskas pouches to some Purina dry kitten food and it has worked a treat! He loves the dry stuff as much as he was loving the pouch food and no more leaking!

Took him to the vets on Monday for his first checkup and he's in great health. He's very small for his age but the vet says she just thinks that is how he will be! His mother isn't very big either from what I saw when going to collect him.

He was brilliantly behaved at the vets and they absolutely loved him and his nature. He was very quiet on Monday night, he had a lazy night on the sofa! But he's back to full health now and bouncing around as normal!

Last night, he popped into bed with my and my fiancé. Popped himself under the covers in between us both, with his little head on the pillow and his right paw over the blanket like any normal person! Very cute - even when discovering it at 3 in the morning!

I've only had him for a month, but I absolutely adore him. It breaks my heart leaving him for any amount of time during the day/night!

Pleased to hear he's on top form again!