Author Topic: Charlie Adam  (Read 16995 times)

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Charlie Adam charged by FA following Olivier Giroud incident
« Reply #40 on: March 4, 2014, 03:17:07 pm »
Yeah just reading the article now. Apparently one of the officials saw it.

Remember Bosingwa on Benayoun.

Incomprenehsible that that one went unpunished.

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: March 4, 2014, 04:02:17 pm »
and suarez on Parker - he has previous knew exactly what he was doing ;)

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 4, 2014, 04:13:25 pm »
Remember Bosingwa on Benayoun.

Incomprenehsible that that one went unpunished.

Honestly I'm never going to get over that. FA are just staggeringly incompetent.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #43 on: March 4, 2014, 04:32:17 pm »
That wasn't a big deal back then, right? At least, I don't really remember it being mentioned a lot in the media afterwards. Seeing that gif again it's baffling...

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 4, 2014, 04:33:22 pm »
Maybe because hes a spiteful get?
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #45 on: March 4, 2014, 04:36:34 pm »
That wasn't a big deal back then, right? At least, I don't really remember it being mentioned a lot in the media afterwards. Seeing that gif again it's baffling...

thats becuase the worse the tackle/foul the more chance of getting away with it.

just look at McManaman`s foul of Haidara as another example.

the FA are a bunch of spineless bastards who have as much knowledge of modern football as my Nan who has been dead for 60 years

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #46 on: March 4, 2014, 04:46:20 pm »
So how do you know it's intentional? Are you a mindreader?

That's a bit silly. I never said that I knew anything. We're all debating our views on it, and in my opinion it appears as very obviously deliberate, which is different from that I know it's obvious, or that I claim to know that it's deliberate.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline chilongooner

• Kopite
  • There is only one Thierry Henry
« Reply #47 on: March 4, 2014, 04:49:11 pm »
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26425905
video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWkWUoHz-S4

I think it's a joke, personally. I cannot see any intent in it. Giroud is lying on the turf, Adam tries to hop over him, but his jump is too short. How 3 people can see it unanimously as intentional is beyond me.
Other opinions?

Obviously intentional. Very very easily could have been avoided had he wanted to.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #48 on: March 4, 2014, 04:49:40 pm »
That's a bit silly. I never said that I knew anything. We're all debating our views on it, and in my opinion it appears as very obviously deliberate, which is different from that I know it's obvious, or that I claim to know that it's deliberate.

So you don't know whether it's deliberate or not, but still find it baffling that people might see it as an accident? Baffling...

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #49 on: March 4, 2014, 04:50:20 pm »
And I think it's deliberate because, in this situation, given all its variables, if you want to avoid stepping on someone's leg, you can.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: March 4, 2014, 05:24:49 pm »
Not deliberate for me. He's not even looking at Giroud before he jumps.

Offline chilongooner

• Kopite
  • There is only one Thierry Henry
« Reply #51 on: March 4, 2014, 05:30:53 pm »
Not deliberate for me. He's not even looking at Giroud before he jumps.

If a person's peripheral vision and spatial awareness is so utterly piss poor that Adam has no idea Giroud is there and cannot avoid stamping on his leg then he should be no where near a professional football pitch and should probably avoid walking down crowded streets.

This is also something Adam and most of Stoke players in general make a habit of doing "accidentally".

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: March 4, 2014, 05:37:17 pm »
Hard to tell from the link in the OP and using my phone. But my opinion from that is it's accidental. Doesn't seem to look at Giroud at any part of the clip, so how does he know where his leg is. I didn't notice and unnatural movement in Adam's leg either, ie, a stamping motion.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: March 4, 2014, 05:38:24 pm »
Deliberate all day that. He knows exactly what he's doing. He may not be looking at Giroud but he knows he's there, he make it look like he's trying to jump over him but "accidently" landed on him. He didn't even have to jump, just run around him.

Put it another way, if he'd done that to Suarez or Coutinho we'd be fuming. The fact that it's Arsenal and Giroud had been a moaning bastard all through the game is by the by.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: March 4, 2014, 05:54:49 pm »
Deliberate all day that. He knows exactly what he's doing. He may not be looking at Giroud but he knows he's there, he make it look like he's trying to jump over him but "accidently" landed on him. He didn't even have to jump, just run around him.

Put it another way, if he'd done that to Suarez or Coutinho we'd be fuming. The fact that it's Arsenal and Giroud had been a moaning bastard all through the game is by the by.

So you agree he's not looking at him yes? So how does he know exactly where Girouds leg is to stamp on it? Is there any unnatural stamping motion from Adam? How is Adam meant to run round him if he's not looking at him?

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 4, 2014, 06:01:59 pm »
I'm a cynical bastard so i'll go with intentional ;D

Played enough footy to recognise he's happy to land on Girouds leg there, professional athlete unable to process his spacial awareness and know where a leg is, nah don't buy that for a moment. Not to mention there appears to be a slightly unnatural movement as he's plonking his studs into Giroud, in addition to the lack of acknowledgement he's just stamped on somebody too.... more i watch it, the more blatent it appears.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #56 on: March 4, 2014, 06:04:05 pm »
So you agree he's not looking at him yes? So how does he know exactly where Girouds leg is to stamp on it? Is there any unnatural stamping motion from Adam? How is Adam meant to run round him if he's not looking at him?

Balotelli's not looking at Parker here

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6caNpwDYJ98" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6caNpwDYJ98</a>
Better looking than Samie.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #57 on: March 4, 2014, 06:04:51 pm »
Honestly I'm never going to get over that. FA are just staggeringly incompetent.

Holy shit had completely forgotten about that. What an absolute shambles that was. What a terrific example the FA gave by not punishing something as ridiculous as that

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #58 on: March 4, 2014, 06:05:36 pm »
I'm a cynical bastard so i'll go with intentional ;D

Played enough footy to recognise he's happy to land on Girouds leg there, professional athlete unable to process his spacial awareness and know where a leg is, nah don't buy that for a moment. Not to mention there appears to be a slightly unnatural movement as he's plonking his studs into Giroud, in addition to the lack of acknowledgement he's just stamped on somebody too.... more i watch it, the more blatent it appears.

For me, this thread has been eye-opening as to who can recognise a sly foul and who can't. People who have experienced a sly foul (or even dished them out) can see exactly what Adam was doing there.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: March 4, 2014, 06:06:14 pm »
You don't have to stamp on the leg to hurt a guy, just using your landing leg which takes most of your weight will do it. If you watch the video, he watches Giroud go down on his arse and the ball go the other way. Yeah he turns his head towards the ball but he's already seen him go down, he knows where he is. He doesn't need to jump to turn after the ball, but does it anyway.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #60 on: March 4, 2014, 06:06:54 pm »
I would say intentional too. If it wasn't there would be some sort of last minute attempt to get out of the way, or a flap of the arms or something to indicate it was accidental.

I'm not on the panel though and given the way some cases are brought and some let off I can see why Stoke are annoyed. Doesn't affect is either way so don't really care what happens!

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #61 on: March 4, 2014, 06:12:06 pm »
The fact he isn't looking at Giroud should neither count for or against him, you don't need to be looking directly at someone's leg to stand on it and still know what you're doing, if you look at it with kinder eyes then yes you could say it was clumsy. People saying you can't read Adam's mind or know his intentions, well it works both ways, you can't definitively either way.

Personally, he's clearly done that on purpose and has quite the record for doing shit like this, I'm no fan of Bale but the bizarre vendetta that Adam seems to have against him is criminal, he's put some absolute shockers on him in particular over the years.

Adam absolutely knows what he's doing, he's just a scumbag who puts in cowardly challenges, so he's right at home at Stoke.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: March 4, 2014, 06:20:33 pm »
I only had to watch it once to make my mind up

I'm not a mind reader but I 100% think he has done that on purpose.

And even if it was accidental, he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. He is one of the snidest, dirtiest c*nts in the league, if not the dirtiest

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 4, 2014, 10:10:10 pm »
Balotelli's not looking at Parker here

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6caNpwDYJ98" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6caNpwDYJ98</a>

You can see an unnatural stamping motion from Ballotelli there though.

Have just watched the Adam one again on the iPad. Better view of it, and I'm now leaning towards he knew what he was doing. A stamp, no. But his landing leg goes down quicker than it should I think.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2014, 10:13:33 pm by Barneylfc »

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: March 4, 2014, 10:13:21 pm »
It was intentional. Glenn Whelan put in a very similar challenge earlier in the game as well.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: March 4, 2014, 10:20:41 pm »
That's the thing about Adam. He's a clumsy bastard, but he's a clumsy bastard far too often, it's no surprise if they inferred intent.

Offline schmev

• Kopite
  • Dubliner in Salzburg made me a Red
« Reply #66 on: March 4, 2014, 10:31:49 pm »
He's guilty as hell.  He's just like that ginger twat that played for Yernited, Scholes. 

'if he only learned to tackle hahaha'.  Never liked Adam and he almost never made a good kick for us.

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 4, 2014, 10:45:48 pm »
I'm definitely in the camp that thinks it's ridiculous for Adam to get charged and Yaya Toure not. What happened to intent??? With Toure the intent was clearly there, with Adam, alright it looks bad, but I don't think you can prove intent, he was already in the air and never looks at Giroud etc etc. Giroud spent so much time diving to the floor in that match anyway that someone was bound to tread on him by accident eventually.

Myself I don't know whether Adam should be charged, but if he is then that's entirely fair enough but Yaya Toure should have been done twice over!
« Last Edit: March 4, 2014, 10:49:52 pm by Red Flag »

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #68 on: March 4, 2014, 10:47:10 pm »
For me, this thread has been eye-opening as to who can recognise a sly foul and who can't. People who have experienced a sly foul (or even dished them out) can see exactly what Adam was doing there.

Agreed. And it's not as though Charlie hasn't got previous...
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: March 4, 2014, 10:50:22 pm »
I'm pretty sure that Adam meant it, you know as a player how to shorted/lengthen your stride to miss someone or just lightly skip on them as opposed to a weighty stamp.

That said, I'm not sure how the FA can read his mind, he didn't break his stride albeit I think he probably could have.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: March 4, 2014, 11:07:53 pm »

A good example of many mate, I was trying to think of some today.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: March 4, 2014, 11:14:36 pm »
A good example of many mate, I was trying to think of some today.

That, the Rooney Elbow @ Wigan, Van Persie elbow on Cabaye a few years back - Not given a straight red as Webb said he saw it - no further action taken, Huth stamp on Suarez - no further action taken as that clown Mason said he saw it...

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: March 4, 2014, 11:21:56 pm »
That, the Rooney Elbow @ Wigan, Van Persie elbow on Cabaye a few years back - Not given a straight red as Webb said he saw it - no further action taken, Huth stamp on Suarez - no further action taken as that clown Mason said he saw it...

Exactly mate, I'm not saying Charlie shouldn't be investigated but it's the fucking annoying inconsistency and excuse making by the FA about incidents you really do want to see a player punished for because they are usually cowardly.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #73 on: March 4, 2014, 11:25:12 pm »
On purpose for me

yup. Easily avoidable

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #74 on: March 4, 2014, 11:51:03 pm »
Surprised so many are saying it's clearly intentional. Personally think it's very harsh and actually is more to do with previous and who he plays for.

If he was ginger and English they'd be chortling at that pesky Charlie Adam and his laughably bad tackles.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline WelshMike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: March 5, 2014, 01:39:49 am »
Really hard to tell anything from the GIF, but - even though it's inconclusive - I'm leaning towards intentional after seeing it on MOTD too.

One of the main reasons is because he didn't really seem to acknowledge Giroud (was it?) despite landing on him. If it was accidental then I think he'd have been quick to apologise. It also wasn't a very difficult situation to navigate, even for Charlie Adam. He just seems to not lift his leg as much as he should do.

Couldn't care less about Stoke being punished either way: it's been a long time coming for Adam and them. Also couldn't care less about Arsenal moaning about it when they're one of the dirtiest teams in the league when they want to be. I wish these two could play each other every week for the entertainment value though.
TEAMWORK
Coming together is a beginning.
Keeping together is a progress.
Working together is a success.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: March 5, 2014, 01:52:49 am »
Not on purpose for me.  You can see he didn't stay stiff when he felt he stepped on him.  He buckled at the knee a bit it looks like...

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #77 on: March 5, 2014, 02:07:07 am »
Not on purpose for me.  You can see he didn't stay stiff when he felt he stepped on him.  He buckled at the knee a bit it looks like...

It really isn't difficult to avoid stepping on someone. If it was an accident he wouldn't have looked away in my opinion and he'd have apologized immediately. Landing on someones leg like that isn't exactly something that goes unnoticed if its an accident, and his reaction afterwards was telling by its absence

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: March 5, 2014, 02:09:35 am »
It really isn't difficult to avoid stepping on someone. If it was an accident he wouldn't have looked away in my opinion and he'd have apologized immediately. Landing on someones leg like that isn't exactly something that goes unnoticed if its an accident, and his reaction afterwards was telling by its absence
I suppose if I were to stomp on someone I'd do it a bit different.  That looked a tad bit like when you step on a lego bare footed without the obvious pain...

Offline EmotionalCitrus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: March 5, 2014, 02:12:18 am »
This is Stoke we are talking about here of course it was intentional.