Author Topic: The GAA Thread  (Read 633610 times)

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
Re: The GAA Thread
« Reply #10840 on: July 24, 2022, 03:10:23 am »
I thought goals would be a deciding factor, and they were and they weren’t. They kept Kilkenny in the game, but Limericks early goal won it. What a goal, the flick of the boot to set it up and Hegarty had a yard to aim at given the angle. A great finish. No way could you begrudge Limerick the 3 in a row, they seem a decent bunch of lads and they play the game superbly. Physical and skilful.

Yesterday was the first time I thought maybe hurling has moved past Coady. With a sport like hurling it’s the fine fine margins now. Teams have always been physically strong and tough, skill levels were always high, but sports science (fucked up football) has improved Hurling. I don’t know that Coady is employing those methods as part of his setup. But it’s going to be a big part of the game going forward. Any guy who hurled in the last 100 years was tough and skillful, so what’s the extra edge you can employ.. Team psychology seems to have given Limerick that edge in the last 5 years. Everyone has bought into it as much as the tactical aspect.

But you never ever write of Coady or Kilkenny, they were the second best team through most of the game, but still only 2 points off at the end. Dogged and Proud, Coady has the ability to reinvent himself, but I wonder if he has the energy.

Quoting myself, but my musings turned out true.
Coady’s a true Laoch. It’s unlikely we’ll see anything like him again.

Unless Galway wakes up with pure fight and turn in a hell of a physical account of themselves Kerry win this game. Today’s a big day for a big man, Comer might play a part today if Galway use him well...
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10841 on: July 24, 2022, 11:39:05 am »
Hopefully a great game today. Reckon Kerry should take it but supporting Galway I think
YNWA

Offline Sweeney94

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10842 on: July 24, 2022, 03:08:54 pm »
Any links for the game?

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10843 on: July 24, 2022, 04:43:13 pm »
outrageous game this. Some scores
YNWA

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10844 on: July 24, 2022, 04:44:58 pm »
outrageous game this. Some scores
A shooting exhibition from Clifford and Walsh. Too tight to call it.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10845 on: July 24, 2022, 05:11:39 pm »
Bench won it for Kerry. Spillane got 2 or 3 points off the bench, Galway had absolutely nothing off theirs.

Not much of a debate about man of the match or Footballer of the Year.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10846 on: July 24, 2022, 05:35:14 pm »
It's a shame we don't see more hand passes, it's a dying art. 🙈
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #10847 on: October 1, 2022, 06:51:50 pm »
Rest in peace Big Fellah.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #10848 on: October 16, 2022, 03:31:05 pm »
Naomh Conaill cheated their way to another Donegal County Championship yesterday.
https://twitter.com/NialloDonnell11/status/1581303519742611456?t=cJpsTkHjyROZdr0Tujll6w&s=19

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #10849 on: October 25, 2022, 03:42:07 pm »
The All-Ireland senior football and hurling finals will be broadcast live on BBC iPlayer for the first time as part of a new five-year contract between the GAA and the BBC.

The All-Ireland semi-finals will also be broadcast on iPlayer, with either the football or hurling final shown live on BBC network television as part of the deal that will bring these fixtures to a UK-wide audience.

These games are in addition to live coverage of up to eight Ulster Senior Football Championship matches.

The All-Ireland finals and semi-finals will be broadcast live on BBC Two NI.

BBC Sport and the GAA have also agreed that up to 10 matches in the Allianz National Leagues will be streamed each year on iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gaelic-games/63377924
#Sausages

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10850 on: October 25, 2022, 04:34:44 pm »
Great to hear the BBC will get more games, still shite about sky though, I think overall less games are now being broadcast
YNWA

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10851 on: January 29, 2023, 07:12:58 pm »
anyone following the club all Ireland fiasco?
YNWA

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10852 on: January 29, 2023, 07:39:06 pm »
Yes. Match officials and GAA are to blame.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10853 on: January 29, 2023, 07:51:44 pm »
Yes. Match officials and GAA are to blame.
joke that Glen were made to appeal before the GAA did anything. What do you reckon happens now?
YNWA

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10854 on: January 29, 2023, 09:35:45 pm »
I know some of the Crokes management. They'll hand the trophy back rather than entertain any idea of a replay.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10855 on: February 14, 2023, 11:15:37 am »
Gardaí probe allegations GAA star involved in €1 million medical fraud

GARDAÍ ARE INVESTIGATING claims that a well-known GAA player defrauded people out of approximately €1 million.

In a statement gardaí said that officers attached to the economic crime bureau “have commenced an investigation” into alleged fraud in the east of the country.

The Journal understands that the retired GAA player is being accused of claiming to have an illness and asking friends and family for money to travel abroad for experimental treatment.

Several statements of complaint were made to gardaí in the last three months and a decision was made in recent days to conduct a full-scale investigation into the allegations.

Significant resources are being allocated to the probe, sources have told this publication.

Gardaí would not comment further as the investigation is ongoing.

When the name does come out it'll Rock the GAA world. 

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10856 on: February 14, 2023, 11:25:26 am »
Gardaí probe allegations GAA star involved in €1 million medical fraud

When the name does come out it'll Rock the GAA world. 

In fairness the dogs (or the Cats) on the street know who it is and like all family run endeavours there’s form for it. It will have the Joe Duffy Show on overdrive for a week though!

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #10857 on: April 24, 2023, 11:31:35 pm »
Didn’t catch any of the ball over the weekend, but caught all the hurling.

Waterford will think they pucked it away against Limerick, they must have had 15 wides and some were very scorable, playing a 14 man Limerick team was a good chance for the kill. Watching the game though Limerick just always seemed in control, even after the penalty miss and going a man down. They’ll be hard to beat this year. Physically they’re tough and right on (a little over) the edge in their physicality. The stuff that wins All Irelands. What the fuck yer man in the Waterford dugout was doing throwing a belt at Hegarty I don’t know… If you’re not across the line on the field of play you stay out of the fight. It’s that simple. Hegarty also pumped up from the game if he was to retaliate would half kill a lad sitting in a dugout for the previous 45 minutes!

The Tipp v Clare game was a great game but much like Limerick, Tipp seemed in control for most of it. A few of Clare’s big names didn’t seem to be involved or as influential yesterday as they normally are, Duggan, Conlon, Kelly, although they scored a point each, weren’t the normal threat they are. The subs Tipp brought on definitely helped them keep in control, I think they got 1-4 off the bench. The late Clare goal took the dominant look off the scoreboard from Tipp. There’s plenty more in Clare though.

Galway v Wexford was the poorest of the games, went out to make tea, come back in and Wexford has 2 goals on the board! Missing Lee Chin meant it was always going to be a tough task. Galway just did what they had to do. No panic. They were well in control all game. There’s something missing in that Galway team though to my eyes. Looking at them compared to Limerick say, it’s men and boys. Something tells me they’re gone in the Quarters this year. A lot will depend on the draw.

For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10858 on: April 27, 2023, 06:46:07 pm »
Big game this weekend for the derry men. Hope we don't take Monaghan lightly, they finally got that tyrone monkey off their backs
YNWA

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #10859 on: April 29, 2023, 12:24:08 am »
Big game this weekend for the derry men. Hope we don't take Monaghan lightly, they finally got that tyrone monkey off their backs

Keeping them goalless will be crucial, and they were tough in that second half against Tyrone, physically and mentally. It’s hard call this game. Ye have goals in that team and that’s what’s going to win this game.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #10860 on: April 29, 2023, 12:38:05 am »
In the hurling…..

Limerick v Clare should be a cracker. Clare will come with more than they had last weekend, few lads didn’t show on the day that will this weekend. Unless it’s tight with a few minutes to go it’s hard to see anything other than a Limerick win though.

Galway v Kilkenny… I’ll go against the grain and go for Kilkenny here. Galway have a soft underbelly that’s waiting to be exposed. Wexford didn’t test them last weekend physically and Evan Neiland got 14 of their scores. Keep him quite from play and Kilkenny should win it.

Cork V Waterford…. I’ll go with Waterford, they already have a tough battle under their belts, they pucked the game away against Limerick and they won’t do it again. Who knows what Cork team turns up Sunday.

My 10 quid bet this weekend would be Antrim beats Wexford, I think Lee Chin is missing again and a few others.

Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10861 on: April 29, 2023, 08:29:58 pm »
Keeping them goalless will be crucial, and they were tough in that second half against Tyrone, physically and mentally. It’s hard call this game. Ye have goals in that team and that’s what’s going to win this game.
very happy with that performance, gave up a couple of silly goals but still looked very comfortable
YNWA

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10862 on: April 30, 2023, 08:27:36 am »
very happy with that performance, gave up a couple of silly goals but still looked very comfortable

2 games in a row to give away cheap goals. Will be magnified against stronger opposition.  Ulster Champs elect but to get the big one youse need to fix that goals issue

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10863 on: April 30, 2023, 01:34:54 pm »
2 games in a row to give away cheap goals. Will be magnified against stronger opposition.  Ulster Champs elect but to get the big one youse need to fix that goals issue
Aye. Previously all goals conceded were with glass off the pitch. Yesterday was the first goals conceded all season with him on. A but worrying. Bit mad to see mcfaul back  👀
YNWA

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #10864 on: April 30, 2023, 04:25:46 pm »
As a Limerick man I feel the 4 in a row is going to be a step too far beyond this team. Fatigue, silliness int eh camp and injuries will do for them. Can see how hard it is to keep the team going year after year like this. Ah well, still the best Limerick side in my lifetime and likely I will ever see.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10865 on: May 2, 2023, 05:37:20 pm »
Going to be shafted on ulster final tickets it seems  :butt not a club member so won't get unless there's some left for general sale
YNWA

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10866 on: May 9, 2023, 06:26:19 pm »
Does anyone know where I can look and find for streams for any of the matches that are on GAAGO? I couldn't find a stream for the Cork v Tipp match last Saturday so had to make do with listening on the radio. I've never been unable to find a stream for Liverpool matches so surely there's ones for GAA? Luckily RTE will be showing Clare v Cork and Tipp v Limerick in two weeks time but they won't be showing many more of the other matches.
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10867 on: May 9, 2023, 06:29:27 pm »
Fucking farcical situation have the GAA have gotten themselves and supporters into. Great to see it being highlighted to prevalently.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10868 on: May 9, 2023, 06:32:46 pm »
Going to be shafted on ulster final tickets it seems  :butt not a club member so won't get unless there's some left for general sale
I'm a member of a club in Armagh, have been for nearly 30 years, I've no interest in the sport itself but I've just paid my membership fee for the social club every year and I was offered the chance to buy 2!, it's mad, I could have bought and flipped them no questions asked, it's ludicrous.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10869 on: May 9, 2023, 06:59:33 pm »
Shocker. Amateur game trying to squeeze as much money out of their fans. The days of reffing games to draws so they could cash in on the replays, volunteers to staff various roles in the game, knocking on doors for donations to the local club when charities are crying out for funding while at the same time spending 15k-25k a year on semi professional trainers. They can take a running jump.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10870 on: May 9, 2023, 10:52:23 pm »
I'm a member of a club in Armagh, have been for nearly 30 years, I've no interest in the sport itself but I've just paid my membership fee for the social club every year and I was offered the chance to buy 2!, it's mad, I could have bought and flipped them no questions asked, it's ludicrous.
emmm can you still buy these two?
YNWA

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10871 on: May 10, 2023, 10:21:24 am »
Sickening. Well done to her, a very brave woman and hopefully helps others to speak up.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02uAhnR8qLyjs8P344Zj1qkGreiFPhNzomsbBKnKJekGPAyo64t4LQGGrc6tXTGmaql&id=785599268

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10872 on: May 10, 2023, 01:56:47 pm »
Sickening. Well done to her, a very brave woman and hopefully helps others to speak up.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02uAhnR8qLyjs8P344Zj1qkGreiFPhNzomsbBKnKJekGPAyo64t4LQGGrc6tXTGmaql&id=785599268

Not a straight line situation here. Messed up beyond belief. Serious allegations but counter allegations now coming out about her.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10873 on: May 10, 2023, 02:07:30 pm »
Not a straight line situation here. Messed up beyond belief. Serious allegations but counter allegations now coming out about her.

Where are you hearing those from?
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10874 on: May 10, 2023, 02:24:14 pm »
Where are you hearing those from?

Have had sight of messages about her and stuff she has done/not done in terms of the kids etc and how he has custody of the kids because of this behaviour. Don’t dispute what she has alleged as it’s too specific. She is a troubled soul though, likely as a result of what has happened. If what she has alleged against him is true he should feel the full brunt of it

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #10875 on: May 10, 2023, 02:52:34 pm »
I only just read her post there, poor girl

Not seen these counter rumours, but I have no doubt she has been through hell and god knows what that has done to her mentally.

She says in the post it drove her to alcoholism

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10876 on: May 10, 2023, 03:57:00 pm »
The counter rumours are irrelevant if what’s been happening is true. Have heard the stories before but that’s the first time i have seen anything “official”
YNWA

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10877 on: May 10, 2023, 05:22:20 pm »
I know the scumbag well. Everyone in the community knew what he was doing to the girl, but she wouldn't make the next step. Fair play to her now. I hope he gets what's coming to him.
mines a pint

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10878 on: May 11, 2023, 08:51:18 am »
While her story is undoubtedly harrowing, and his behaviour inexcusable, it is my experience from walking this earth for 40 odd years that there is always more than meets the eye in these types of situations. There is also, without exception, two sides to every story. The first thing jumping out at me here is if he did in fact beat her that badly, then how the fuck did she come to the conclusion that marrying him would be a good life choice?

I mean we're not talking about a screaming match here, or doors being slammed, or even a temper-driven back hand across the face. We're talking about a full-on assault where he (allegedly) blackened both of her eyes, fractured her nose, and beat her to the point where she was barely able to walk. Yet somehow, despite enduring all of this trauma, and despite her best friend being an eye witness to it all, she somehow came to the conclusion that his marriage proposal was worthy of acceptance? And that he would make a suitable father for her children?

Don't get me wrong, domestic violence (especially on that scale) is wholly inexcusable. But you don't have to be Columbo to notice that there's something seriously odd going on there
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #10879 on: May 11, 2023, 09:03:36 am »
Maybe she felt trapped and scared?

Maybe she thought he would change

who knows. when they had kids it obviously made it harder to walk away, victims sometimes feel it is their fault.

Unfortunately I know people in similar situations, a friend who married someone who beat her, she obviously was scared and intimidated and probably wondered how bad it would be if she walked away particularly as there was a child involved (would the child be safe? would the child be taken away?)

Victims somehow are made to believe it is their fault at times, a family member for instance wasnt beaten but their fella done the dirty on them a month before they were due to get married, they had a house and were together 10+ years. I was with her the day after it came out and she still wanted to marry him, because it was hard to just discard all the time they had together, it was hard to just wake up one day and go "right ill just write off the last 11 years of my life".

Back to what I was saying about victims feeling they are fault, questions she asked us that day
"am I ugly"
"is it me"
"why do you not love me anymore"
"what did I do wrong"

thankfully she found the strength to walk away but she felt scared as to what the future would hold (would she ever meet someone else?, Would she lose her house? Would she ever get another house? Would she ever have a child?)

Nicola Gallagher was bullied, so was I as a kid in school, you hope you can just ignore it and one day it will go away, you see it as weakness and failure to rat these people out, it isnt, it is actually quite brave. a lot of victims find it hard to speak up, look at Paul Stewart (ex lfc) for instance.

People need to be encouraged to speak up, not told "well you married him so thats your bad". Two sides to it, yes, but no smoke without fire either and I think she has done a brave thing.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 09:06:05 am by paulrazor »
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR