Author Topic: Vatican letter told Ireland's Catholic bishops not to report child abuse  (Read 84406 times)

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
Re: Vatican letter told Ireland's Catholic bishops not to report child abuse
« Reply #360 on: March 13, 2019, 11:52:55 am »
Pell jailed for 6 years

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-47549297

Finally. Should shake a few people since he was a cardinal.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: March 14, 2019, 10:26:25 am »
Eligible for parole in less than 4 years. The judge took his age into account when sentencing. Not like the cardinal ever took someone's age into account...

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: March 14, 2019, 11:11:15 am »
Eligible for parole in less than 4 years. The judge took his age into account when sentencing. Not like the cardinal ever took someone's age into account...

He likely did.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #363 on: March 14, 2019, 11:21:09 am »
Lawyer: Cardinal Pell Deserves Lenience After His “Plain Vanilla” Child Rape

That mitigation is just like an example of a model exam answer of how not to help your client.

Is his barrister thick, arrogant or both?

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #364 on: March 14, 2019, 11:38:18 am »
That mitigation is just like an example of a model exam answer of how not to help your client.

Is his barrister thick, arrogant or both?

Barristers are bound to follow their client's instructions.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: March 14, 2019, 12:26:45 pm »
Barristers are bound to follow their client's instructions.

Yes they are but you would expect a more skilful approach to putting the mitigation for example not using a "catchy" phrase like pure vanilla.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #366 on: April 11, 2019, 05:18:11 pm »
Ex-Pope Benedict XVI blames 1960s revolution for sex abuse

Retired Pope Benedict XVI has published a letter which blames clerical sex abuse on the "all-out sexual freedom" of the 1960s.

He said that cultural and historical change had led to a "dissolution" of morality in Catholicism.

The sexual revolution in the 1960s had led to homosexuality and paedophilia in Catholic establishments, he claimed.

Some allegations of child sex abuse by priests that have emerged date back to decades before the 1960s.

The only solution to the problem, the former Pope said, was "obedience and love for our Lord Jesus Christ".

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: April 11, 2019, 05:20:13 pm »

Retired Pope Benedict XVI has published a letter which blames clerical sex abuse on the "all-out sexual freedom" of the 1960s.

He said that cultural and historical change had led to a "dissolution" of morality in Catholicism.

The sexual revolution in the 1960s had led to homosexuality and paedophilia in Catholic establishments, he claimed.

Some allegations of child sex abuse by priests that have emerged date back to decades before the 1960s.

The only solution to the problem, the former Pope said, was "obedience and love for our Lord Jesus Christ".

Good to hear from one of the biggest c*nts living in the world today. Has the current pope, another one, responded?

What is it with the catholic church's addiction to blaming others. I thought it was core to their beliefs that we're all twats? So why not own up to all their many horrific crimes against humanity and be absolved and party in heaven?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #368 on: April 11, 2019, 07:19:46 pm »

What

The

Actual

Fuck

It was really impossible for him to have made the situation any worse, but he’s actually managed it.

It’s all the fault of liberals... wow.   No you corrupt old c*nt, it’s the fault of the people who covered it up.  You could have stopped it, they could have been identified.  But no.  The cover up took over.. and it’s all someone else’s fault.

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #369 on: April 11, 2019, 09:49:45 pm »

But Jesus n shit.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: April 11, 2019, 10:03:42 pm »
But Jesus n shit.

I wonder who he blames for all the paedophile popes from before the 1960s. Maybe the enlightenment?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: April 11, 2019, 10:07:20 pm »
I wonder who he blames for all the paedophile popes from before the 1960s. Maybe the enlightenment?

Peasants and gays,never forget the gays for they hold magical powers.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #372 on: April 11, 2019, 10:48:27 pm »
The Catholic Church is to paedophilia what the US is to gun control.

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #373 on: April 12, 2019, 12:10:56 am »
Anyone watch Rome v The Republic . 1.4 billion Euro the government has paid in liable cases for the Church since 2002 .

" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Catholic Church spent $10.6 million to lobby against legislation that would benefit victims of child sex abuse

A new report released Tuesday reveals that, over the past eight years, the Catholic Church has spent $10.6 million in the northeastern United States to fight legislation that would help victims of clergy sexual abuse seek justice.

"At the most basic level, we were inspired by frustration," says attorney Gerald Williams, a partner at Williams Cedar, one of four law firms that jointly commissioned the report. "We represent hundreds of people, who have truly been victimized by clergymen in the Catholic Church. We've heard a lot about the church's desire to be accountable and turn over a new leaf. But when we turn to the form where we can most help people and where we can get the most justice — the courts of justice — the church has been there blocking their efforts."

Anyone out there still dropping a few sovs into the church collection box, be proud of where your money is going.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Anyone out there still dropping a few sovs into the church collection box, be proud of where your money is going.

They somehow do amazing business to be fair. Customers keep coming back and throwing money at them.

Bit like Apple customers rushing back after the company fucks them with the latest unnecessary headphone jack tweak. Different sort of fucking though

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
They somehow do amazing business to be fair. Customers keep coming back and throwing money at them.

Bit like Apple customers rushing back after the company fucks them with the latest unnecessary headphone jack tweak. Different sort of fucking though

Religion sells the disease of guilt and then claims it has the only cure.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Amazingly, this thread is eight years old and these shitstain "men of god" are still at it.

Vatican court rejects laws obligating priests to report sexual abuse revealed in confessions

Rome -- The Vatican's highest court issued a document on Monday approved by Pope Francis strongly reiterating Catholic teaching that priests may not, under any circumstances, reveal information learned inside the confessional. The document was a response to mounting political and social pressure for priests to report details of sexual abuse of minors acquired during confessions to authorities.

The document states that any legislation aimed at forcing priests to report such information would be an "unacceptable offense" against the church's freedom from secular power, as well as a violation of the religious freedoms of both the penitent and the confessor.

The Vatican said it felt it was "necessary to intervene," to explain the importance of the confessional seal to the church, and to promote understanding of it.

Translation: Our magic forgiveness rituals are more important than stopping kids getting raped, so fuck all y'all.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
First thing that came into my head...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uxPCxvxzujo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uxPCxvxzujo</a>

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
Amazingly, this thread is eight years old and these shitstain "men of god" are still at it.

They've been at it for centuries, this thread was hardly going to put a stop to it. ;)

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
They've been at it for centuries, this thread was hardly going to put a stop to it. ;)

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Vatican court rejects laws obligating priests to report sexual abuse revealed in confessions

Rome -- The Vatican's highest court issued a document on Monday approved by Pope Francis strongly reiterating Catholic teaching that priests may not, under any circumstances, reveal information learned inside the confessional. The document was a response to mounting political and social pressure for priests to report details of sexual abuse of minors acquired during confessions to authorities.

The document states that any legislation aimed at forcing priests to report such information would be an "unacceptable offense" against the church's freedom from secular power, as well as a violation of the religious freedoms of both the penitent and the confessor.

The Vatican said it felt it was "necessary to intervene," to explain the importance of the confessional seal to the church, and to promote understanding of it.

Translation: Our magic forgiveness rituals are more important than stopping kids getting raped, so fuck all y'all.

Who granted these c*nts "freedom from secular power"?!

Also "Vatican court" - can you imagine if they had trials? Imagine how they exhibit evidence ;D

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #383 on: August 21, 2019, 05:35:42 pm »
Pope Refuses to Condemn Pedophile Cardinal Pell, Even After Losing Sex-Abuse Appeal

Not a surprise in the slightest. Lot of them as bad as each other and all need fucking off.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: December 22, 2019, 08:55:15 am »
Mexican Catholic group says late leader Marcial Maciel abused at least 60 minors
Leader of ultra-conservative group was ordered to retire over abuse allegations, but died before facing accusers
Reuters
Published: 05:29 Sunday, 22 December 2019

Marcial Maciel, the Mexican founder of the ultra-conservative Legionaries of Christ, abused at least 60 minors, according to a new report from the Catholic group.

Maciel was punished by Pope Benedict XVI in 2006 when he ordered Maciel to retire to a life of prayer and penitence after years of allegations that he had sexually abused boys and young men.

He died two years later at the age of 87 without ever facing his accusers.

The report, published on Saturday, lists 175 instances of child abuse over the past eight decades, implicating 33 priests.

“Of the 33 priests, six died without being tried, one was convicted and another one – already removed from clerical status – is currently on trial,” the report concludes.

The report did not say what became of the other 25 priests.

While the report does not detail when the abuse took place, several men have in the past publicly accused Maciel of molesting them while they were in a seminary from the 1940s to the 1960s.

Before he died, Maciel forcefully denied the charges against him, and many of them came too late for prosecutors to pursue a criminal case.

“I never engaged in the sort of repulsive behaviour these men accuse me of,” he said in 2002.

Maciel, born in a small town in the central Mexican state of Michoacan, came from a distinguished Catholic family, with two great-uncles who were Mexican bishops.

“There has been progress on an institutional path of reparation and reconciliation” for 45 victims of abuse, the report states, without going into further detail.

“There is still a great need to continue facilitating this path for others,” it adds.

The part in bold really boils my piss.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: December 22, 2019, 09:29:00 am »
The part in bold really boils my piss.

Thoughts and prayers fix everything.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #386 on: October 5, 2021, 12:42:28 pm »
More than 200,000 children sexually abused by French Catholic clergy, damning report finds

Paris (CNN)Members of the Catholic clergy in France sexually abused an estimated 216,000 minors over the past seven decades, according to a damning report published Tuesday that said the Church had prioritized the protection of the institution over victims who were urged to stay silent.

The number of abused minors rises to an estimated 330,000 when including victims of people who were not clergy but had other links to the Church, such as Catholic schools and youth programs. Between 2,900 and 3,200 abusers were estimated to have worked in the French Catholic Church between 1950 and 2020, out of a total of 115,000 priests and other clerics, the report found.

"The Catholic Church is the place where the prevalence of sexual violence is at its highest, other than in family and friend circles," said the report, which found that children were also more likely to abused within Church settings than in state-run schools or summer camps.

"Faced with this scourge, for a very long time the Catholic Church's immediate reaction was to protect itself as an institution and it has shown complete, even cruel, indifference to those having suffered abuse."

Tuesday's report, the most complete account of sexual abuse in the French Catholic Church to date, was compiled by an independent commission at the request of Church officials. It follows similar reports from other countries that have dealt a blow to the reputation of the Church in recent years.

Full article

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: October 5, 2021, 06:14:05 pm »
The details in the report look bad!!!

This is sad, have greatest concern for anyone that may have been damaged through this. Also so sad that the likely thousands of Catholic youth leaders/priests doing a great job whose work is being undermined.  Thankfully reports like this are bringing this issue to further light. How horrifying for those directly involved

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #388 on: October 6, 2021, 09:44:08 am »
The details in the report look bad!!!

This is sad, have greatest concern for anyone that may have been damaged through this. Also so sad that the likely thousands of Catholic youth leaders/priests doing a great job whose work is being undermined.  Thankfully reports like this are bringing this issue to further light. How horrifying for those directly involved

the sheer number of paedophiles just in France really makes me wonder about the rest of the European countries. Here in Poland the government has continuously tried to undermine any investigations into the Catholic Church. So much so a comedy movie was made a couple of years back to highlight the prevalency of sexual abuse in the church here.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: October 6, 2021, 10:05:07 am »
More than 200,000 children sexually abused by French Catholic clergy, damning report finds

Catholic church stocked full of paedophiles shocker!

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #390 on: November 30, 2022, 03:35:03 pm »
I haven't seen the whole movie but this clip is from Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, and it's a dinger.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jIjMqG8-H8c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jIjMqG8-H8c</a>

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #391 on: November 30, 2022, 03:49:16 pm »
I haven't seen the whole movie but this clip is from Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, and it's a dinger.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jIjMqG8-H8c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jIjMqG8-H8c</a>

Great film, truly great actress Frances McDormand. Sky Arts recently screened a load of repeats of their film star profiles, and she was one I’d missed, so enjoyed immensely.

Until it became self indulgent and went off the rails, a Sky Atlantic series - Ray Donovan - carried some good story lines about this subject.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #392 on: January 11, 2023, 02:17:51 pm »
Pope Refuses to Condemn Pedophile Cardinal Pell, Even After Losing Sex-Abuse Appeal

So this fuckstick is dead.

Cardinal Pell's death brings few tears in Australia

At St Patrick's Cathedral in Melbourne, the polarising legacy Cardinal George Pell leaves in his Australian homeland was evident.

The cathedral is where Cardinal Pell first rose to the rank of archbishop. It is also where he is accused of molesting two choirboys in the 1990s.

As news of his death spread on Wednesday, mourners were pictured attending a commemorative mass at the church. They shuffled past ribbon tributes left for victims and survivors of child sex abuse on the cathedral fence.

Cardinal Pell was Australia's most powerful Catholic, but he was also reviled by many.

During a career spanning six decades, Cardinal Pell worked his way through the ranks of the Church in Victoria, serving as Archbishop of both Melbourne and then Sydney, before he became one of the Pope's top aides.

"He was a man who put Australia at the centre of the Catholic world in a way it never has been before," Australian Catholic University historian Miles Pattenden told the BBC.

Even before he faced charges himself, Cardinal Pell's reputation in Australia was marred by the Church's failure to tackle its child sex abuse crisis.

"There is a sense in which he became a lightning rod for the anger," historian and former Catholic priest Paul Collins told the BBC.

As a leader, many Australians felt he bore some responsibility for the broader Church's concealment of abuse, he says.

But a landmark inquiry into child sex abuse in institutional settings found Cardinal Pell also personally knew of child sexual abuse by priests in Australia as early as the 1970s and had failed to take action. Cardinal Pell disputed the findings, saying they were "not supported by evidence".

The cleric also faced criticism as an architect of the Australian Church's first victim compensation scheme.

Called The Melbourne Response, the scheme was hailed by Cardinal Pell's supporters as evidence of his keenness to address the crisis. But it capped compensation payouts, forced many survivors to waive their right to lawsuits, and was accused of generally lacking compassion.

A review of the scheme's operations between 1996 and 2014 found it spent as much money on administration as it did compensating more than 300 victims.

Then in 2018 a jury convicted Cardinal Pell of abusing two boys while Archbishop of Melbourne in the 1990s.

Cardinal Pell, who always maintained his innocence, spent 13 months in prison before the High Court of Australia quashed the verdict in 2020, finding the jury had not properly considered all the evidence at his trial.

But the father of one of his alleged victims is now suing for damages in a civil court. The suit will continue against the Archdiocese of Melbourne and Cardinal Pell's estate.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
Not catholic but same shit:

In a lengthy statement released by the C of E alongside the report, Sentamu said: “I find myself in an unenviable position of having to reject the opinions of the reviewer … This is due to a fundamental misunderstanding on her part of the jurisdictional, pastoral and legal responsibilities of diocesan bishops and archbishops in the C of E.”

He said the reviewer’s stated opinion that individuals must act on safeguarding issues regardless of church law was “odd and troubling”. He added: “Safeguarding is very important but it does not trump church law.”
Believer

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.

So , I can see why they would believe laws sent from above trump man-made laws. But surely rather than point this out they should be ensuring the two are compatible.
--edit-- I fully appreciate many on here would think this is nonsense. But logically, these people fully believe in God and his laws. To ridicule that is not going to help us sway the way they operate.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
In a lengthy statement released by the C of E alongside the report, Sentamu said: “I find myself in an unenviable position of having to reject the opinions of the reviewer … This is due to a fundamental misunderstanding on her part of the jurisdictional, pastoral and legal responsibilities of diocesan bishops and archbishops in the C of E.”

He said the reviewer’s stated opinion that individuals must act on safeguarding issues regardless of church law was “odd and troubling”. He added: “Safeguarding is very important but it does not trump church law.”
On this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Render_unto_Caesar#Roman_Catholic

The German theologian Justus Knecht gives the typical pro-government, Roman Catholic, interpretation:

Obedience to temporal authority. We are not only allowed, but commanded to obey the authority of the state, and to pay such taxes &c. as are a due; for the authority of the state is ordained by God to protect the lives and property of subjects. If there were no temporal authority, disorder, robbery, murder &c. would be rampant; and, therefore, as the authority of the state exists for the good of subjects, it is the duty of these last to pay those taxes &c. without which it cannot be kept up. [20]
Irrespective, people are not (or should not be) allowed a religious trump card. Anyone involved in perverting the course of justice (for what are very serious crimes) should be up on very serious charges.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
I think, the origin of his thoughts are around Jesus saying we should give back to Caesar what belongs to Caesar. This was based around people trying to trick Jesus into saying that they shouldn't pay taxes ( so they could arrest him for that, never thought I'd draw parallels between Jesus and al Capone). Jesus is doing a starmer here, seeing the trap and waking round it. For anyone to suggest it means religion should trump or be subservient to earthly laws is missing the point.

Fuck. I think I'm on drugs.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

• Legacy Fan
I think, the origin of his thoughts are around Jesus saying we should give back to Caesar what belongs to Caesar. This was based around people trying to trick Jesus into saying that they shouldn't pay taxes ( so they could arrest him for that, never thought I'd draw parallels between Jesus and al Capone). Jesus is doing a starmer here, seeing the trap and waking round it. For anyone to suggest it means religion should trump or be subservient to earthly laws is missing the point.

Fuck. I think I'm on drugs.

You’re not on drugs you’ve just strayed into ‘it’s an ecumenical matter’ territory. ;)