Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399561 times)

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #3280 on: January 28, 2019, 12:17:01 pm »
The amount of points they get from those games means nothing to our players.

I don't think that's true, to be honest. City winning their remaining games would put massive pressure on our players especially with us to travel to Manu and Everton (form means fuck all in a Derby). Any dropped points from City will be gratefully received.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #3281 on: January 28, 2019, 12:22:18 pm »
Exactly. 15 wins to go, City is irrelevant.

Only 14 needed though isn't ? It looks easier if you break it down to win the next 7,then afford to lose a game, win the remaining 7 and we are Champoins. Even if City remarkably win their remaining 15 fixtures they wouldn't catch us!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 12:27:25 pm by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #3282 on: January 28, 2019, 12:35:12 pm »
They have an FA  Cup tie the weekend before. We have that weekend off before Bayern Munich on the Tuesday. If they get a tough draw in the FA Cup and have a 2nd leg against PSG a few days after playing us, our game may not be the biggest game in terms of their season.

For them, playing Liverpool is always like a Champions League final regardless.
Linudden.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3283 on: January 28, 2019, 01:10:52 pm »
I don't think that's true, to be honest. City winning their remaining games would put massive pressure on our players especially with us to travel to Manu and Everton (form means fuck all in a Derby). Any dropped points from City will be gratefully received.

I didn’t know City get to play all of their remaining games before we travel to Man Utd and Everton?

They’ve won it then fuck it all off until next season.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3284 on: January 28, 2019, 01:59:47 pm »
I didn’t know City get to play all of their remaining games before we travel to Man Utd and Everton?

They’ve won it then fuck it all off until next season.

I'm saying City going on a run would put pressure on us or are you saying City going on a run is irrelevant and the players would pay it no mind.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3285 on: January 28, 2019, 02:45:09 pm »
I'm saying City going on a run would put pressure on us or are you saying City going on a run is irrelevant and the players would pay it no mind.

We have to put it out our minds, so in a sense it is irrelevant. The only way to approach the remaining game is to assume we have to win all of them anyway, one at a time. The squad cannot waste any energy thinking about City, until there comes a moment when we know the maths needed to secure a title.

If City beat Newcastle 12-0, we still have to keep getting our wins. One by one.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3286 on: January 28, 2019, 02:46:08 pm »
For them, playing Liverpool is always like a Champions League final regardless.
I was replying to a guy saying they had loads more rest upto the game. I think he must of not realised they play in the FA Cup the weekend before as it wont show in any fixture list as their opponents are not known until the draw is made later. The comment about how they treat a match against us cuts both ways.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #3287 on: January 28, 2019, 02:49:28 pm »

Guardiola is a proponent of tactical periodization, though. His players get a lot more rest than ours would, say.

Also, supplements ;D

:D

From the Beeb:

Other than international breaks, Manchester City have had a full week between games just once since the beginning of September.

A handy gap next week has been filled by a rearranged Premier League game against Everton and whilst there is a gap between the league game against Chelsea on 10 February and the fifth round of the FA Cup the following weekend, if City carry on winning, there will be precious few opportunities to recharge their batteries.

"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Online daggerdoo

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3288 on: January 28, 2019, 03:08:09 pm »
Not if we continue to win our matches it won't be. But this is the problem with people who keep on looking ahead all of the time and worrying about what City are going to do. Take each game as it comes, don't even think about what City may or may not do. Just concentrate on ourselves we cannot influence what happens with City but we can with our own team. Otherwise we may as well hand the title over now.
This is how I've handled the season so far. Think it was Wolves or Palace that beat City but I didn't hear about it til the following day, suddenly we're 7 points clear. I was positively shocked.

Seems we need to ignore what they're doing and simply carry on supporting our team. Let's face it, when we kick off, nothing else really matters, does it really.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3289 on: January 28, 2019, 03:11:36 pm »
One game at a time. Just keep winning . Worry about ourselves
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3290 on: January 28, 2019, 03:16:12 pm »

It's human nature to feel the pressure, but its how we handle it that matters. Klopp and his staff will be trying to absorb it all, but its what chasing teams do, its the only ting they can do really. Apply Pressure then talk. There wont b a word I bet from City players or management before their game, but if they win wait to see them try to ramp it up. Its what we would do if the roles were reversed. Bring it on

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3291 on: January 28, 2019, 03:32:57 pm »
This is how I've handled the season so far. Think it was Wolves or Palace that beat City but I didn't hear about it til the following day, suddenly we're 7 points clear. I was positively shocked.

The three times city have lost this season, i've been told they lost by someone else. I now have a strict no look policy, like bobby with a tap in.

I know they play before us a lot in the coming month, personally I think this is in our favor rather than theirs at the stage we're at now. I'm hoping Anfield is rocking to the sound of Rafa's name before kick off on Wednesday.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Stevie2810

• Main Stander
« Reply #3292 on: January 28, 2019, 03:39:39 pm »

Seems we need to ignore what they're doing and simply carry on supporting our team. Let's face it, when we kick off, nothing else really matters, does it really.
Wish I could do this. I'm glued to this Forum, looking at City's Fixtures, looking at our fixtures and watching each other games. Think i'll drive myself crazy over the next few months!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #3293 on: January 28, 2019, 03:41:50 pm »
I pay attention to the City games until they're ahead by two.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3294 on: January 28, 2019, 03:43:39 pm »
I pay attention to the City games until they're ahead by two.

Same here. You hope that the opposing team will get that important first goal, then you think sure its only 1 goal, ts not over, then after the 2nd even Emmerdale gets more appealing

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3295 on: January 28, 2019, 03:49:54 pm »
Funny how some on here think. City are not expected to drop anymore points and will breeze through their matches. Maybe such and such team will put up a challenge but it's doubtful. On the other hand, our matches are potential banana skins and such and such team is going to be fired up. I could have sworn we've lost less games and have a lead at the top. Anything is possible, one game at a time, we don't underestimate any team and give it all we have, that's all we can ask for.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #3296 on: January 28, 2019, 03:52:33 pm »
Whilst it is very likely that City will beat Everton fairly easily, the good thing is that they will have to rotate in order to cope with the extra game between Arsenal and Chelsea. That extra game means that there is a bigger chance of dropping points in 1 of those 3 games.

Either way, as long as we do our jobs, there is sod all they can do. They can win all their games 10-0 but it won't make a jot of difference.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Online fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3297 on: January 28, 2019, 04:30:31 pm »
The good news is time wont allow me to watch too many games as lucky to see us play so really not arzed what City, Utd or Co ever do. I dont understand fans watching them play esp if its against a "minnow' side and most days watching some of these Charlies play who fall if the grain of the grass is growing the wrong way sucks the joy out of the game for me. All we need to do is worry about ourselves, give it our best and see where that takes us. Stay focus and leave it all on the pitch. If that wont win the title then so be it.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #3298 on: January 28, 2019, 05:25:54 pm »
Yes I like the fact that they are the ones having to do the plate spinning routine. Thing is, all the world needs a competition here. If we were not giving it what we are, the prem would have become so dull, eh?.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3299 on: January 28, 2019, 06:00:24 pm »
Since his topic is locked, thought I'd post it here. Perjury charges against Lovren ha been dropped in Croatia, probably why he was in Zagreb on Wednesday

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpools-dejan-lovren-discovers-fate-15743941

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
« Reply #3300 on: January 28, 2019, 07:14:17 pm »
Does anyone know for certain if the Everton game is moving to midweek?

Really annoying if so  :no
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3301 on: January 28, 2019, 07:34:20 pm »
Does anyone know for certain if the Everton game is moving to midweek?

Really annoying if so  :no
IF YOU MEAN THE MAN CITY everton game then yes they cant exactly play it on the same weekend as the league cup final so its been moved to 6th feb! dont know why its annoying unless you have a ticket for the game and its gonna cause you to miss it

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3302 on: January 28, 2019, 07:52:35 pm »
Or he's confused it with our game against the blueshite.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3303 on: January 28, 2019, 07:52:43 pm »
Anything is possible, one game at a time, we don't underestimate any team and give it all we have, that's all we can ask for.

Exactly this.

I've genuinely not known who we're playing the game after next for the whole season.

One game at a time.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3304 on: January 29, 2019, 01:26:39 am »
The amount of points they get from those games means nothing to our players. It may mean a bit to us as fans, but it's completely irrelevant to what we do.

They are going to drop points before the end of the season. We just have to drop 3, possibly 4, less. Simple.

We can drop 3 MORE than whatever they drop.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3305 on: January 29, 2019, 01:55:30 am »
If we don't get the maximum from each game for starters then we can only blame ourselves if Man City somehow manage to make up the difference. Whether we play before them or after them, or they have more rest or less rest is actually all irrelevant. We have our fixtures set. We need to get the maximum points we can, 1 game at a time, and then see where we are. No point looking at the table until we're into the last 4-5 games. A lot can happen in that time.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #3306 on: January 29, 2019, 02:09:10 am »
I haven't paid any attention to City games since they beat us. It only serves to make one discombobulated. They are a good side but not in the manner of Barcelona 2010-11 or Arsenal 2003-04 that you just have to watch their matches because of the irrepressible joyousness in the way they play.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline DG

• Killjoy who loves himself.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lovern
« Reply #3307 on: January 29, 2019, 07:21:53 am »
For the sake of argument; if you're firm in the "don't care about City or what they do" camp, then maybe this thread isn't the right one for you?

It's tedious to see someone make a point for it only to be met with negativity. People enjoy title races differently, if you want to take it one game at a time ignoring City, there's a thread for the next match and it's not this one.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3308 on: January 29, 2019, 07:39:49 am »
I've got a definite feeling that City will drop points to Newcastle.
Rafa(despite what the Geordies think) is a Kopite deep down. He will be even more of a legend if he can take a couple of points away from City.
He'll have been up the last few nights drawing up a defensive plan like Juventus away 2005 to frustrate city.
 On top of that I have some Manchester United toilet roll that somebody gave me a while back. I've been keeping it for a special occasion but I ripped a portion off and crossed out United and replaced it with City. We have been wiping our arses on man city all day in our house.
 With Rafa's detailed plans and my toilet paper the plastic woolybacks have got no chance of 3 points.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3309 on: January 29, 2019, 07:58:00 am »
So, City now have Everton (a) next Wednesday sandwiched in between Arsenal (h) and Chelsea (h). Whilst I'm not expecting Everton to do us any favours, I would rather they play City now than at the end of the season when they would've been on their hols  ::)

It's going to be interesting because should we  both continue to win our games, City will have an extra incentive to beat Chelsea on the 10th Feb as they will go top if they pull it off having played one extra game. Our game in hand is against scum on the day City play the League Cup final.

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
« Reply #3310 on: January 29, 2019, 08:40:05 am »
Or he's confused it with our game against the blueshite.

I have!

So we will play Everton first weekend in March,, surely not at 3pm though as it is currently scheduled?
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3311 on: January 29, 2019, 08:51:33 am »
I have!

So we will play Everton first weekend in March,, surely not at 3pm though as it is currently scheduled?
The Everton game is Sunday 3rd at 16:15 on Sky  :wave
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #3312 on: January 29, 2019, 08:53:14 am »
For the sake of argument; if you're firm in the "don't care about City or what they do" camp, then maybe this thread isn't the right one for you?

It's tedious to see someone make a point for it only to be met with negativity. People enjoy title races differently, if you want to take it one game at a time ignoring City, there's a thread for the next match and it's not this one.

This is true..
I don't think most people mean anything by it negatively all the time, just adding in the caveat that its one game at a time and city shouldn't have any bearing on what we do etc etc.

Although it doesn't need to be said as its a given. This team has stated multiple times they are thinking of it in that way anyway

Though I do think deep down that everybody is always aware of what City are doing....even the players and the boss. Would not be human if you didn't get a bit of a boost seeing City dropping points tonight for example
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3313 on: January 29, 2019, 08:59:30 am »
City romping to the title is a non-story hence why the media are doing everything in their power to put Liverpool off because Liverpool failing to win the league is a far bigger story. Look at the media outrage with Salah diving. Don't you think that was disproportionately overblown compared to other known divers?

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #3314 on: January 29, 2019, 09:01:45 am »
City romping to the title is a non-story hence why the media are doing everything in their power to put Liverpool off because Liverpool failing to win the league is a far bigger story. Look at the media outrage with Salah diving. Don't you think that was disproportionately overblown compared to other known divers?
It is a bit mental how most of the country seems to be against us
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3315 on: January 29, 2019, 09:07:14 am »

The country set against us I can understand. Generations of grandfathers, fathers, and sons had to watch Liverpool win everything in sight. That is generational scaring and there is a huge fear that it's about to happen again. I understand the nation against us but I don't understand the media being against us, especially when City won the league last season by 19 points.

Offline DG

• Killjoy who loves himself.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lovern
« Reply #3316 on: January 29, 2019, 09:11:08 am »
If you go on to Bluemoon, they feel the country is against them as well. On Redcafe the country is against United, on Shedend they're against Chelsea.

It really has a lot more to do with who you support, than the country or the media.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3317 on: January 29, 2019, 09:11:28 am »

Idk if that's true. the hardcore fans of other clubs are for obvious reasons not so sure that's true of the average fan who isn't a United/City/Chelsea/Spurs supporter...

A lot of LFC fans seem to think the league / Sky / the media etc are against us or don't want us to win the title when the opposite is almost certainly true.
Liverpool winning the league or even being in contention at the end is huge for this league - we generate audiences and attention in excess of any club bar possibly United depending on how its measured - its in their interests for us to do well

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3318 on: January 29, 2019, 09:16:12 am »

Liverpool winning the title for the first time in 29 years is a huge story, the media are not trying to put us off winning it. This kind of paranoia is unhelpful.

In regards to Salah, the media are likely playing off the xenophobic mentality of this country, evidenced by the fucking mess we’re in prolitically, and spinning the narrative of cheating foreigner. Ronaldo, Suarez, Hazard etc have all had it over the years.

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3319 on: January 29, 2019, 09:30:57 am »
So, City now have Everton (a) next Wednesday sandwiched in between Arsenal (h) and Chelsea (h). Whilst I'm not expecting Everton to do us any favours, I would rather they play City now than at the end of the season when they would've been on their hols  ::)

It's going to be interesting because should we  both continue to win our games, City will have an extra incentive to beat Chelsea on the 10th Feb as they will go top if they pull it off having played one extra game. Our game in hand is against scum on the day City play the League Cup final.

How do you work that out? We play Bournemouth on the 9th so if as you say we both win all our games, On 10th Feb we'll be 1 ahead with a game in hand