Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3287505 times)

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #27160 on: June 30, 2022, 12:29:38 pm »
Big fan of Robbo on TAW and he’ll be missed.

On reflection I thought the recent re-run of his chat with Adam Smith was pretty poignant. Retrospectively you can see that in the period of the interview that Gareth must have been reflecting on football and how his life in intertwined in that. He obviously hinted at other factors too. Listening back you can definitely make more sense of his decision to leave TAW.

The other point I took out of the interview is that he must have been a proper scall to nearly get suspended from Bowring Comp in the late 80’s or early 90’s. That school was one of the roughest out there during that period. Proper character building place for anyone who went there. I’ll miss the Bowring and KnowsleyUnited shouts from Robbo. Those 2 things make me reminisce loads about my youth and Gareth in general is the Anfield Wrap presenter who I probably  best align to in terms of footballing opinion but also probably early life experience of being brought up in Huyton during the 80/90’s.

All the best Robbo for the future.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27161 on: June 30, 2022, 12:32:01 pm »
Yeah it was a good listen, presumably recorded a few months back.

Good to see Robbo on plenty of shows recently, like when we flagged Gini before his exit, they’re getting full value from him before he goes. :D

Good luck with your next venture Robbo.

Offline craiglfc7

• Main Stander
    • My twitter
« Reply #27162 on: June 30, 2022, 02:37:25 pm »
I'm not sure how many of the Wrap staff play football these days.

🤣 Every week at Jericho Lane....we pay our own subs though!

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #27163 on: June 30, 2022, 02:58:10 pm »
The very best of luck to Robbo. He was one of my favourite contributors from the start. Always the right balance between supporting, analysis, critical when warranted, and seemed to share our joys and disappointments. Impossible to replace and I hope the rest of the core group stick with it. Thanks for the many, many shared memories Robbo.

/bump

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #27164 on: June 30, 2022, 03:43:40 pm »
What? Gareth is leaving?

That’s terrible..  love listening to him.

Good luck to him..

Me too. He's one of the funniest on there. Talking Reds won't be the same. God bless him; I hope he moves onto better things, or just gets the rest he needs.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27165 on: June 30, 2022, 05:26:05 pm »
Great cup of tea show with Robbo that, best wishes to him for the future, will really miss hearing him on TAW.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #27166 on: June 30, 2022, 06:49:42 pm »
Hiya

Remember our Internet LFC matches ..brilliant times, especially the away games! Sorry forget our actual name!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 06:58:00 pm by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #27167 on: June 30, 2022, 10:40:29 pm »
Robbo is a ledge.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #27168 on: July 1, 2022, 09:42:43 am »
Christ. Wasn't ready for Atkos email on Robbo.

It's a reminder than the Wrap (despite what it can sometimes appear as) isn't a load of mates. Sure they are all friends now since going Full time, but it wasn't always that way.

Either way Robbo will definitely be missed by most I'd imagine, except the blues.  :)

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27169 on: July 1, 2022, 01:13:25 pm »
The Players Profile on Milner is excellent, and lovely to hear Jose Enrique on there. Nice one to Josh and Harriet for that.

Also seconding all the good wishes to Robbo, he’ll be very much missed on the Wrap.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #27170 on: July 1, 2022, 02:24:01 pm »
I assumed Gareth Roberts was one of the co-founders of The Anfield Wrap? Is he planning his own podcast or stepping away from the game? Always enjoyed when he'd pop up on other podcast i listen to so would be really shite to lose him as a contributor completely.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27171 on: July 1, 2022, 04:28:08 pm »
I assumed Gareth Roberts was one of the co-founders of The Anfield Wrap? Is he planning his own podcast or stepping away from the game? Always enjoyed when he'd pop up on other podcast i listen to so would be really shite to lose him as a contributor completely.

He's going to keep coming back as a contributor but stepping away from the day to day business of the Wrap. The Cup of Tea chat with Neil and Andy that went up this week is a really nice listen and explains a bit about why he's leaving.

Bet the TAW office is absolute chaos right now with news of Mo's new deal!

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #27172 on: July 1, 2022, 04:30:48 pm »
Bet the TAW office is absolute chaos right now with news of Mo's new deal!

I mean Mo's a good contributor but I'm not sure they'll be going mad over it, unless he's doing a DJ session with it too

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #27173 on: July 1, 2022, 04:47:04 pm »
Gutted he's going.  I think of all of them like they're my mates, despite them not having a clue who I am.
If he reads this then 'ta very much & all the best lad'.

Offline The Last Known Survivor

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27174 on: July 1, 2022, 06:06:51 pm »
Sad to hear Robbo is leaving, one of my favourites. Good luck to him in the future.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #27175 on: July 1, 2022, 06:08:50 pm »
I can only join in the sadness about Robbo leaving, always looked forward to his contributions. Hopefully from time to time he can still contribute. All the best, Robbo.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27176 on: July 1, 2022, 08:23:27 pm »
Agree with all the Robbo comments.

I got on TAW quite late when a mate recommended it to me during the CL run in 2018 and Robbo did most Talking Reds then and was one of the main things which piqued my interest in the podcast. Obviously having gotten into it there’s loads more besides Robbo but he was certainly very relatable to me as a fan which I think is one of the things which tends to get people interested in stuff like this.

Hopefully he’s back soonish on some of the shows as has been the case with one or two of the others that have left.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27177 on: July 3, 2022, 09:00:05 pm »
Ah man, that last minute of AFQ with Neil talking about Gareth  :'(

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #27178 on: July 3, 2022, 10:28:17 pm »
If you take a step back and look totally objectively, it's hard to understand why we invest so much time, money and energy into following a group of millionaires kicking a ball around a grass field. We feel such highs and lows following something so arbitrary, why does the fortunes of our football club effect us so much, there's so much more to life yet it's so hard to walk away.

That's why I love the excellent 'What football means to me', a chance to put things in context, to share the interesting things in life that feed our addiction and drive us to indulge in our passion. How football is interwoven with our families and friends, our identities, where we come from. I've driven past Anfield or stopped at at that Dixie Dean memorial far too many times, laying flowers, saying final goodbyes to loved ones.  Friends defined in death by their love for Liverpool or Everton and so many times in that situation, even as a football fanatic myself, I've thought they were so much more than just Liverpool or Everton fans yet football plays a near religious role for so many working class people in our city, that is why I want to hear the backstories, because ultimately the people we live amongst are the most important and interesting thing about our shared love of football.

I thought Gareth's appearance was timely and interesting. I don't know Gareth personally although seen him at games, but I first noticed him during the end of Rafa, Hicks and Gillette days,  I saw he had started Well Red, I used to buy it because I agreed with him on most things during our fight for the club. In those days, you knew who's side you were on, never have I had so many stand up arguments at the match or written ones on places like here, so you felt an affinity to those who shared your opinions. Who could see what was going on, so always pleased to see him doing well with the Anfield Wrap. I've been going since the late sixties but had a break in the 80's when politics seemed a more important pull on my time than hitching and scraping my way around the country following the Reds. Was dragged back into it late 90's by young lads I worked with, reading between the lines seems like Gareth's looking at where football fit's into his life and I hope he ends up finding the answers that he's comfortable with because I've enjoyed his work on the Anfield Wrap and more importantly he comes across as a decent human being. He'll be missed as a regular contributor and best wishes with pastures new.

Great post.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27179 on: July 4, 2022, 08:00:17 am »
Ah man, that last minute of AFQ with Neil talking about Gareth  :'(

Fucking hell, had me in tears and I've not met either of them! It's been nice to hear all the contributors say how sound Gareth is, we all thought it, but it isn't often someone gets to hear all that. Usually you have to snuff it first!

Probably said it earlier, but all the very best. If I ever bump into you around Anfield, you won't be buying a drink all night.

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27180 on: July 4, 2022, 01:10:49 pm »
Gareth must be one of the least divisive contributors on TAW, seems to be on everyone's list of favourites.

I know he glances in here as he's mentioned it before, so best of luck if you're reading this.  :wave
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #27181 on: July 6, 2022, 09:53:52 am »
@Heaton, GamesMaster did come back last year - it was shite.
:D

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27182 on: July 7, 2022, 05:31:22 pm »
Another great chat with Dan Austin there. Great work on his part. Well in John.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27183 on: July 8, 2022, 08:54:13 am »
Football Miracles is lovely stuff.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27184 on: July 8, 2022, 11:38:35 am »
Gareth must be one of the least divisive contributors on TAW, seems to be on everyone's list of favourites.

I know he glances in here as he's mentioned it before, so best of luck if you're reading this.  :wave

Partly its because he's one of the funniest (still love his arl arse Evertonian impersonation), but also because he's slightly more old-school in how he is as a fan. There's definitely a time and a place for being as analytical as Neil, but I like how Robbo is disillusioned by and rants about the bullshit around football - social media, sportswashing etc. It speaks to the feelings many of us of a similar generation have.

I was very surprised to hear that he's not leaving for anything else specifically, but I really hope all works out for him and he deserves huge credit for doing what he feels is right for himself. Hope that we'll hear him guesting on shows again before too long, but he'll be very sorely missed and that ending of AFQ was properly emotional.

Offline roots99

• Main Stander
« Reply #27185 on: July 8, 2022, 09:27:06 pm »
Willie Isa on Cup of Tea is a great listen.

They're normally good but what a humble, nice fella.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in." - Bill Shankly

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27186 on: July 8, 2022, 09:43:08 pm »
Willie Isa on Cup of Tea is a great listen.

They're normally good but what a humble, nice fella.

Just listening to it now. Always slightly strange me when such a big, hard guy is so softly spoken. Coming across really well though.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27187 on: July 8, 2022, 11:58:57 pm »
Since Paris, Dan Austin has been a beacon of common sense. Regarding that fiasco, he's not only a superb representative of us, he's been a perfect representative us, of our city and our club.

The podcast with John this week was outstanding, truly brilliant.

Well done Dan Austin. You should be proud of yourself mate.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 06:28:06 am by John C »

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27188 on: July 11, 2022, 02:28:48 pm »
Since Paris, Dan Austin has been a beacon of common sense. Regarding that fiasco, he's not a not superb representative of us, he's been a perfect representative us, of our city and our club.

The podcast with John this week was outstanding, truly brilliant.

Well done Dan Austin. You should be proud of yourself mate.

He once said that he hated all music with guitars (to paraphrase) on an AFQ, never trusted him since.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #27189 on: July 11, 2022, 05:01:26 pm »
He once said that he hated all music with guitars (to paraphrase) on an AFQ, never trusted him since.

What's that got to do with the superb work he has done regarding Paris?

Totally unnecessary remark.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27190 on: July 13, 2022, 12:38:48 pm »
What's that got to do with the superb work he has done regarding Paris?

Totally unnecessary remark.

Tongue in cheek, wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

Offline klopptopia

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27191 on: July 17, 2022, 07:55:47 pm »
Does anyone know the reason why Nunez is referred to as "Darwin" specifically on TAW? On a recent show Neil nearly said Nunez then corrected himself to Darwin. I havent heard him referred to as that anywhere else unless im missing something?

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #27192 on: July 17, 2022, 10:08:10 pm »
I assumed it was just because that's what he has on his shirt but haven't seen any specific reasoning for it.

Some of the others say Nunez though don't they, Adam Smith deffo does as he pronounces it Noonyez.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline revertssd

• Main Stander
  • Whether storm or golden sky
« Reply #27193 on: July 18, 2022, 04:16:16 am »
As a listener since the very beginning and a huge fan of all that you guys do surrounding LFC, I'd like to commend the whole TAW team (past and present) for their efforts and offer my sincere gratitude.

Several years ago I moved abroad and left my network of likeminded reds, and the Wrap has been a vital connection to the culture and the vibe of Liverpool and the club.

You guys are legends!
"Kenny is not only the best individual I have come across, he is the best team member too. This fellow is the professional."
                                                                                                                                           - Bob Paisley

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27194 on: July 18, 2022, 09:04:50 am »
Does anyone know the reason why Nunez is referred to as "Darwin" specifically on TAW? On a recent show Neil nearly said Nunez then corrected himself to Darwin. I havent heard him referred to as that anywhere else unless im missing something?

Don't know the reason but for what it's worth in Portugal he was always called Darwin by commentators/fans

Offline klopptopia

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27195 on: July 18, 2022, 12:19:33 pm »
fair enough then, didnt realise he had it on his shirt, makes sense now.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27196 on: July 20, 2022, 09:39:52 pm »
Oddly can’t get new eps on Apple Podcast app. The TAW app is showing them and they’re downloading so not a subscription issue.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #27197 on: July 20, 2022, 10:38:43 pm »
Yeah same on Podcast Addict - there's a thread on it on the TAW Subscribers Group on Facebook so they're aware.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27198 on: July 21, 2022, 07:07:45 am »
Yeah same on Podcast Addict - there's a thread on it on the TAW Subscribers Group on Facebook so they're aware.
Righto. Ta.

Online PaulD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Some things are more important .......
« Reply #27199 on: July 21, 2022, 08:14:58 am »

suddenly, from where nothing worked, now it all works - as Tom would say - "ones of life's mysteries"