Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3300666 times)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #27200 on: July 21, 2022, 08:56:14 pm »
Yep. Working again

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #27201 on: July 26, 2022, 06:59:59 pm »
The app and subscriptions wise, I’m switching to paying for shows by tokens from here cos it’s simpler.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Carrafan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27202 on: July 28, 2022, 05:30:10 am »
‘Paying the price’ a fascinating listen. Great stuff, Robbo - all the best mate.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27203 on: July 28, 2022, 08:02:15 am »
‘Paying the price’ a fascinating listen. Great stuff, Robbo - all the best mate.

It was a good listen perfectly summing up a lot of what you see on your travels and the addiction of it all for the younger lads , some really eye opening accounts from not just reds on there

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #27204 on: July 28, 2022, 09:42:39 am »
One of the best podcasts I`ve listened to that from Robbo. Great work. 

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #27205 on: July 28, 2022, 10:14:54 am »
Are we losing Team Talk audio? Heard it's going to video.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27206 on: July 29, 2022, 04:02:45 pm »
Great show - Paying the Price.

My match going experience is very much distanced from a lot of that stuff. Important to know about it and to begin to understand it. Fascinating stuff. Top work.

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #27207 on: July 29, 2022, 09:15:21 pm »

They might regret that. Hopefully it’s a misunderstanding or something they’ll reconsider.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27208 on: July 29, 2022, 09:30:12 pm »

Ah here. I hope that's not true. Load of bollox if so and shows disdain for audio listeners.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #27209 on: July 29, 2022, 09:35:30 pm »
Real shame that. It's one of my favourite shows, love listening to it on the way to the game. I just don't have the time (or much inclination to be honest) to make a video subscription worthwhile.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #27210 on: July 29, 2022, 09:40:00 pm »
Ah here. I hope that's not true. Load of bollox if so and shows disdain for audio listeners.

Even if they replace it, will be a sickner. They tend to listen to feedback so here’s hoping.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #27211 on: July 29, 2022, 09:51:17 pm »
You can listen to the video clips with your phone locked, I'm pretty sure. It's a bit buggy though, mine likes to play double audio sometimes.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #27212 on: July 29, 2022, 09:52:45 pm »
Will you not need a video subscription though?

Either way it's still a faff if you listen while driving.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #27213 on: July 29, 2022, 10:05:19 pm »
Will you not need a video subscription though?

Either way it's still a faff if you listen while driving.

Yeah you’d need to pay more for that. Give them a chance to look at it again.

Offline virginiared

• Boys Pen
« Reply #27214 on: July 30, 2022, 12:04:43 am »
I've been reading this site for 15 years, but making my first post to say how impactful and well done the Paying the Price piece was. I watch, read, and listen to a ton of PL content (particularly LFC), but as an American fan I wasn't fully aware of much of what was discussed in the interviews. I knew about hooliganism and firms, but to hear from men whose lives have been consumed by the violence and addiction was quite eye opening for me. Well done Anfield Wrap! I will miss Robbo a lot.

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27215 on: July 30, 2022, 12:37:22 am »
Even if they replace it, will be a sickner. They tend to listen to feedback so here’s hoping.
I'd hope so. Is everyone trying to squeeze as much as they can!!? With arguably their best and certainly my favourite contributor in Gareth gone, ill just bin it off of this is the route they are going down.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 12:39:50 am by DangerScouse »

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27216 on: July 30, 2022, 12:55:42 am »
Just listened to their shield preview. Do they ever tip anything other than a Liverpool win? :D I will happily tip City to win today, and then we'll do the League + CL double.

Offline mainone

• Anny Roader
  • this is the end.....
« Reply #27217 on: July 30, 2022, 02:06:06 am »
taw amother fan group too far up themselves

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27218 on: July 30, 2022, 08:38:34 am »
taw amother fan group too far up themselves

🤔

Offline craiglfc7

• Main Stander
    • My twitter
« Reply #27219 on: July 30, 2022, 09:32:50 am »

There's a new audio show to replace Teamtalk which is hosted by Ian Ryan and is a preview podcast and will include the view from the opposition just like Teamtalk did.

We've moved Teamtalk to video because it reacts to the press conference and we have press conference footage and so will embed it with the video so you can see exactly what Jurgen said when it's being discussed. Think it starts next week.

Anyway - new preview show The Warm Up went out yesterday, give it a go.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 09:34:52 am by craiglfc7 »

Offline PaulD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Some things are more important .......
« Reply #27220 on: July 30, 2022, 09:45:48 am »
suddenly, from where nothing worked, now it all works - as Tom would say - "ones of life's mysteries"

and then it disappears again

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27221 on: July 30, 2022, 11:05:04 am »
Paying the Price is brilliant.

Great work Robbo. Don't know if any other media outlet would treat this subject material in the same way, neither condoning it nor sensationalising it.

The stuff at the start about lads in firms just going to games for fights is unbelievably grim. I knew lots of young lads were off their head on coke but was naive to the level of old school hooliganism still around.

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #27222 on: July 30, 2022, 11:26:55 am »
There's a new audio show to replace Teamtalk which is hosted by Ian Ryan and is a preview podcast and will include the view from the opposition just like Teamtalk did.

We've moved Teamtalk to video because it reacts to the press conference and we have press conference footage and so will embed it with the video so you can see exactly what Jurgen said when it's being discussed. Think it starts next week.

Anyway - new preview show The Warm Up went out yesterday, give it a go.

Gave it a go and still hoping TAW put the press conference and reaction out as audio. Fingers crossed. It’s not the same. (The oppo fans view was my least part of TT as it was all very ‘lovely time’!)

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27223 on: July 30, 2022, 11:05:59 pm »
Pros: Paying the Price was great. Really fascinating subject dealt with brilliantly, and worthy swansong for Robbo.

Cons: Feel like TAW is in danger of losing its edge at the moment. Moving Neil more to video lately is definitely not great. Far too many audio shows missing a spark in recent weeks without him.

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27224 on: July 31, 2022, 12:59:52 am »
Pros: Paying the Price was great. Really fascinating subject dealt with brilliantly, and worthy swansong for Robbo.

Cons: Feel like TAW is in danger of losing its edge at the moment. Moving Neil more to video lately is definitely not great. Far too many audio shows missing a spark in recent weeks without him.

And you can add Gareth's loss to that too. I'm pretty ambivalent to most podcasts of late when i look at the line up.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27225 on: July 31, 2022, 07:16:35 am »

Yeah agree about moving him to video. As long as he's doing The Friday Show and the main TAW podcast on Monday.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27226 on: July 31, 2022, 07:38:57 am »
It feels like an important time for TAW.  Robbo was their biggest asset IMO, closely followed by Neil and Guttman.  I feel the only way to maintain the same standards is to increase the work load of the latter two guys.  Adding to that Damian is great on everything, but I dont see him as a Host, like the other three.

This obviously doesnt take into consideration the off Mic work. Im talking exclusively about Broadcasting skills. 

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27227 on: July 31, 2022, 08:00:51 am »
Top quality Flintstones work.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #27228 on: July 31, 2022, 09:20:26 am »
Still think they need to find a way to make Dan Austin full time  ;D. He seems to be doing very well for himself regardless but he is sorely missed on TAW - only going to be exacerbated by Robbo leaving.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #27229 on: July 31, 2022, 11:39:12 am »
It feels like an important time for TAW.  Robbo was their biggest asset IMO, closely followed by Neil and Guttman.  I feel the only way to maintain the same standards is to increase the work load of the latter two guys.  Adding to that Damian is great on everything, but I dont see him as a Host, like the other three.

This obviously doesnt take into consideration the off Mic work. Im talking exclusively about Broadcasting skills.

If one of Neil, Robbo, or Guttman weren’t on a show I thought hard about listening. There are obviously other excellent contributors, but I agree they should find a Robbo-replacement for video in particular, so the remaining key contributors keep the audio up to their consistent high standard.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #27230 on: July 31, 2022, 12:10:29 pm »
I agree with if possible: get Dan Austin in a permanent role. Paul Senior is great as well.

Will miss Gareth Roberts. Along with Mike Girling and Mike Nevin, a favourite who’s no longer there.

Love Gutmann. A little bit scared mainstream media will pick up this prodigy.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #27231 on: July 31, 2022, 12:18:36 pm »
I'm sure they're all talented broadcasters but Robbo had that bit of indefinable star quality which draws you back again and again purely for itself, regardless of the message, so to speak.

Still, there's a vacuum to be filled and hopefully one or two will step up.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #27232 on: July 31, 2022, 12:57:04 pm »
I'm sure they're all talented broadcasters but Robbo had that bit of indefinable star quality which draws you back again and again purely for itself, regardless of the message, so to speak.

Still, there's a vacuum to be filled and hopefully one or two will step up.

Successful organizations manage change very carefully and minimally. Maybe when there was an unavoidable change, with Robbo going, TAW could have left everything else as unchanged as possible. Maybe that’s why the dropping of Team Talk from audio etc. is causing a reasonable commotion?

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27233 on: July 31, 2022, 01:03:09 pm »
Top quality Flintstones work.

Mad. Loved it.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27234 on: July 31, 2022, 01:08:48 pm »
More praise for Paying The Price here. Hope Robbo keeps doing stuff like this.

The lad who just said, dead casually, he loves getting punched in the face was really grim.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27235 on: July 31, 2022, 01:13:50 pm »
More praise for Paying The Price here. Hope Robbo keeps doing stuff like this.

The lad who just said, dead casually, he loves getting punched in the face was really grim.

Robbos style on that reminded me of Louis Theroux.  Not supportive, not judgemental, just right.   His journalist/broadcasting skills are very under exposed. I hope TAWs loss becomes a gain for a wider audience.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline tmsneil

• A compere beyond compare
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #27236 on: July 31, 2022, 01:47:08 pm »
OK. Let's do this:

Team Talk is moving to video because it will be cool to actually be able to use what Jurgen says. But TAW Live as an audio podcast and live video is moving to a permanent slot on Fridays at 4pm in order to always be after the press conference and also react to what Jurgen says. TAW Live will mostly be hosted by me but sometimes by John. An audio preview show called Pre-Match Warmup will come out earlier in the week hosted by Ian Ryan and I expect Ian will be ace; an issue that Team Talk on audio had was that it didn't have enough shelf life sometimes and we especially wanted that for the opposition supporter's voice.

Team Talk moving to video means that Friday Night on video will become Thursday Night and be able to do a teeny bit more looking back, especially on a Wednesday game.

Talking Reds will be only one day a week but will be every Wednesday and will be longer. It will either be looking back on Tuesday's game or looking ahead to Wednesday's.

I am not doing less audio; I just happened to have a bit of time off last week but popped in to do the Hotmic and the Post Match Pint because I am just such a team player.

Next week I will also be away for a couple of days but when everything settles down I will be hosting TAW, TAW Live, The Friday Show, at least half of the AFQs, Midnight Caller, TAW Unwrapped which we are eager to bring back and absolutely nail, some Sunday Bests, some Pinks, some Post Match Pints, most Thursday Nights. I am going to continue to guest on Review as with last season which I really enjoy and do Ten Topics Ten Minutes too. You are going to get more of me on things like Pre-Match Warmup, AFQ Football and Wildcards and Three Strikes as we're looking to streamline the recordings a bit more; we're doing what we can to get more Agony and Ban This Filth and things like it. Am always on the look out for a new format.

We're obviously going to miss Robbo in a number of ways but we're looking at more of Adam Melia, Ian Salmon, Neil Docking and Dan Austin this season (Adam did PMP last night) with Rob hosting Three Strikes when he gets back from his holiday, and we're giving people the chance to step up and do more stuff in general which has always been and will always be our way. We know people have favourites but we also are about giving chances and supporting especially, but not exclusively, younger people. I have favourites too; I'd personally like more Paddy Fitzsimons, Siobhan Biggane and, don't tell him, Ben Johnson, but people have other jobs and commitments and we also don't want people burned out. I'd also point out that, as examples, Paddy, Siobhan and Ben have all grown into being brilliant over time. My ideal is that everyone is left wanting more - you lot listening and them doing the shows. That's when we get the best work.

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27237 on: July 31, 2022, 04:15:38 pm »
Nice one Neil!

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27238 on: July 31, 2022, 10:51:02 pm »
Thanks Neil, the TAW philosophy about having a diverse line up and especially giving the younger generation a go is really great, thanks again for the update.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27239 on: July 31, 2022, 11:39:31 pm »
Thanks for the response Neil - it's appreciated. And regarding the three  contributors mentioned later in the mail, I totally agree - all very good. In Ben Johno's case especially, I wish he was on every day, but we have to remember that people only have so much time in their lives.