Author Topic: Wimbledon 2015  (Read 93538 times)

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Wimbledon 2015
« Reply #2040 on: July 12, 2015, 06:14:11 pm »
Djokovic is a machine. Truly deserved that. Starting from the 1st set tiebreak onwards, he was comfortably the better of the two. Federer was quite below his standards, but that did have a lot in part to do with Djokovic's ability to counter his weapons.

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2041 on: July 12, 2015, 06:15:22 pm »
Fitzy is the true GOAT.

I HAVE to use this in my by-line thing. Have to.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2042 on: July 12, 2015, 06:21:49 pm »
Murray hasn't beaten him in 2 years. He would probably have won at least a set, but he's got the beating of Andy

I think the French semi final May have helped him
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2043 on: July 12, 2015, 06:24:41 pm »
Federer - 17
Sampras - 14
Nadal - 14
Borg - 11
Djokovic - 9

Will Djokovic surpass Nadal and Sampras?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2044 on: July 12, 2015, 06:29:15 pm »
Federer - 17
Sampras - 14
Nadal - 14
Borg - 11
Djokovic - 9

He is surely favourite for the next two Slams. Scary thought.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2045 on: July 12, 2015, 06:29:35 pm »
Paes is such a great doubles player. At 42 he's still a cut above the rest.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2046 on: July 12, 2015, 06:35:53 pm »
Those net points from Hingis and Paes. Wonderful tennis.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2047 on: July 12, 2015, 06:45:32 pm »
Nice chemistry between the two.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2048 on: July 12, 2015, 06:49:19 pm »
One set up in 19 minutes! 2 games up already in the next. This is looking brutal.

I said yesterday that I thought Hingis was carrying Mirza through parts of the women's doubles final, but tonight is all about Paes. His movement and reflexes are just astounding for a 42 year old. Hingis has been superb as well and I'm sure she'll get the headlines if they continue as they are here, but Paes just has an air of absolute cool and brilliance to his game right now.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2049 on: July 12, 2015, 06:50:15 pm »
He's 42!
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2050 on: July 12, 2015, 07:03:51 pm »
Demolition.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2051 on: July 12, 2015, 07:09:30 pm »
US Open in seven weeks.

Murray can win it.

Offline thefan

• Main Stander
« Reply #2052 on: July 12, 2015, 07:39:50 pm »
Federer - 17
Sampras - 14
Nadal - 14
Borg - 11
Djokovic - 9

funny thing is, that djokovic has been in as many slam finals as Sampras, but has won 5 less
he only needs cincinatti( lost 4 finals) and french open( lost 3 finals) and he will be the only player that have won every major tournament. Federer needs two masters...

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2053 on: July 12, 2015, 08:00:26 pm »
I think the French semi final May have helped him

Maybe so, but also getting back to 2 sets all and then getting destroyed in the final set could've set him back again. Only time will tell, but he has to break the streak soon.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2054 on: July 12, 2015, 08:27:01 pm »
Maybe so, but also getting back to 2 sets all and then getting destroyed in the final set could've set him back again. Only time will tell, but he has to break the streak soon.

I hope so mate. Think he has learnt lessons from yesterday and that defeat in Paris and the one in Aus.

Love him to win US Open

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2055 on: July 12, 2015, 08:39:08 pm »
I hope so mate. Think he has learnt lessons from yesterday and that defeat in Paris and the one in Aus.

Love him to win US Open

I'd love him to win the US Open too, I think it's between him and Djokovic

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2056 on: July 12, 2015, 08:50:52 pm »
Federer - 17
Sampras - 14
Nadal - 14
Borg - 11
Djokovic - 9

Maybe, but it's not going to be easy. As an example, Federer had 15 Grand slams at roughly the age Djokovic is at now (he won number 15 at Wimbledon exactly six years ago). 28-29 is old for a tennis player and Djokovic had his breakthrough early as well. He moves incredibly well, but it doesn't take much for a player to lose his edge. I think he'll keep it up for a year of two, but I'm not sure that is enough to reach 14-15.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2057 on: July 12, 2015, 08:53:21 pm »
Yeah i cant see Djokovic getting to 17.

Offline YayaP

• Is John McEnroe.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2058 on: July 12, 2015, 09:13:28 pm »
Maybe, but it's not going to be easy. As an example, Federer had 15 Grand slams at roughly the age Djokovic is at now (he won number 15 at Wimbledon exactly six years ago). 28-29 is old for a tennis player and Djokovic had his breakthrough early as well. He moves incredibly well, but it doesn't take much for a player to lose his edge. I think he'll keep it up for a year of two, but I'm not sure that is enough to reach 14-15.

One thing that will play a role which is out of Djokovic's control is how the strength of the field changes. Fed getting old obviously and Nadal's knees don't look like they're getting any stronger. Murray can challenge him but not consistently. Wawrinka same in my opinion. If his competition continues to fade I think he could make a run...
"I belong to a special club, I live with special people, this is a privilege, this is pure happiness." -Gerard Houllier

“When they start talking and talking about us, it shows they are worried about playing Liverpool,” - Rafa Benitez

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2059 on: July 12, 2015, 09:15:17 pm »
Yeah i cant see Djokovic getting to 17.
especially since for the later part of his career, he wont have Federer to deal with, Nadal will potentially be worse off with injuries possibly retired as well and Wawrinka hasn't got much longer left either. So there'll be Murray who isn't great aginst Djoko and then some other young players who may or may not be able to best him.

He has a shot, I don't think he'll do it, but it's possible
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2060 on: July 12, 2015, 10:21:41 pm »
Martina hingis has such natural talent. She under achieved in her career. If she was born 20 years earlier she'd have more titles that graf
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Number23

• Kopite
« Reply #2061 on: July 13, 2015, 12:00:41 am »
Martina hingis has such natural talent. She under achieved in her career. If she was born 20 years earlier she'd have more titles that graf

Was once my favourite women's player. Perhaps she was unfortunate to get multiple injuries at her peak when the women's game became about power (Venus & Serena, Sharapova, Henin, etc)?
Death by football [Rodgers] said. Well and truly achieved. Now please leave.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #2062 on: July 13, 2015, 08:07:55 am »
Djokovic played a great final and Federer couldn't reach the performance level he had against Murray. Way too many errors with the backhand plus his serve left him in the important moments. Djokovic is a deserved winner, that was probably Federer's last chance for a GS title. It is still incredible how a 34-year-old Federer can dominate Murray like that in a semi-final and then almost match the undisputed number 1 of world tennis in his absolute prime in the final. Unfortunately that only happens at Wimbledon. From a Swiss perspective: at least Hingis won two titles.

About Djoker winning 14+ Grand Slams: I can see him reaching 14, but not many more. He is favourite for the US Open and maybe also for the Australian Open, but there are a lot of younger players ready to push on. Nishikori, once injury-free, will be tough to beat on hard court, Murray will probably also have a career year soon and players like Kyrgios, Cilic and Raonic have showed they have more in them. My prediction is that he will finish on 13 Grand Slams.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #2063 on: July 13, 2015, 08:10:30 am »
Was once my favourite women's player. Perhaps she was unfortunate to get multiple injuries at her peak when the women's game became about power (Venus & Serena, Sharapova, Henin, etc)?

She had multiple injuries that stopped her further development at the time those power-players came up. Then it was rather Davenport, Capriati, Clijsters, Mauresmo and the Williams sisters. Henin for me was the beacon of hope for women's tennis in the last decade, because she did not rely on power but accuracy, intelligent tennis and a superior mentality.

Offline Number23

• Kopite
« Reply #2064 on: July 13, 2015, 08:24:56 am »
Henin was a great player. But you have to credit to Serena. She's far from my favorite player but she's outlasted them all
Death by football [Rodgers] said. Well and truly achieved. Now please leave.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #2065 on: July 13, 2015, 09:16:49 am »
Henin was a great player. But you have to credit to Serena. She's far from my favorite player but she's outlasted them all

I really don't know what irks me so much about Serena. She is a great sportswoman, but her way of playing tennis is just soooo boring to watch, so one-dimensional, so predictable. I really struggle to watch any women's tennis at the moment, because quite honestly they all play the same way. I won't even get started talking about the various annoying sounds they make on court.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2066 on: July 13, 2015, 09:33:22 am »
Thought it was great.

Really?

Coming in we had Federer, Murray, Wawrinka and a few more all in fantastic form and they all disappointed when it really mattered. It promised to be a really exciting tournament, especially with the way the bracket ended up, but it didn't. Two strolls in the semi finals where the opposition didn't do nearly enough to impose their game on the opponent and then a final where Federer really let himself down.

The less said about the women's side the better.

The one positive is that the doubles seems to be getting more interesting.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2067 on: July 13, 2015, 09:34:53 am »

Serena is an incredible player under pressure with an amazing will to win. She just plays the big points far better than anyone else in the women's game, where as most others crumble under pressure, she rises to the occasion.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2068 on: July 13, 2015, 09:35:49 am »
Not every tournament can be a classic and we've been spoilt in recent years on the whole. We still saw the odd epic like Wawrinka v Gasquet or even Anderson v Djokovic and the odd upset like Brown beating Nadal but I guess you're right about the Semi Finals onwards - no classic that will be remembered for long. Can't happen every year though, hopefully the US Open will throw up something great.