Author Topic: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories  (Read 817396 times)

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
Re: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #480 on: October 17, 2011, 11:18:57 pm »
1987 Queens Park Rangers (Division One) Anfield 4-0
Craig Johnston 41' John Aldridge 65'(Pen) John Barnes 79' 85'
Att 43,735

John Aldridge scored in his 10th consecutive First Division match for Liverpool, a run that included the final match of the previous season (a 3-3 draw at Chelsea).

Jim Smith moaned in the build up about the number of penalties we were getting. Pity for them he didn't tell Dean Coney to keep his arm down when a corner came across the 6 yard box. Barnes 2nd goal was a stunning individual effort. Not sure if it was the best as Peter Beardsley scored one just as good IMO against Arsenal later in the season. Even Michel Platini who was covering the game for French TV was impressed.

October 18th produced a rather one sided 4-0 win against Oxford in 1986 when Ian Rush got what I think was his 200th goal for us to open the scoring. He also scored at Old Trafford on the same date in 1992 to put us 2 up, only for them to equalise in the dying seconds of injury injury injury time!! The less said about the derby in 1997 the better. 2003 was another bad day as Patrick Berger scored for Pompey to beat us. His salute on scoring suggested that Houllier may have been incorrect in thinking Diouf and Cheyrou were better than him, and I think we all knew where he was coming from.  I'll let Rafa La fill you in with the gen from other games.

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #481 on: October 18, 2011, 08:41:06 am »
Today In History
October 18th

1961 Everton (Floodlit Challenge Cup Final 2ed leg)Goodison Park 2-2
Roger Hunt 33' 59'
Att 60,000
*2ed leg delayed from Season 60/61*
*Liverpool won 4-2 on Agg*
1969 Ipswich Town (Division One) Portman Road 2-2
Bobby Graham 8' Alec Lindsay 76'
Att 23,263

1975 Coventry City (Division One) Highfield Road 0-0
Att 20,695

1980 Everton (Division One) Goodison Park 2-2
Sammy Lee 23' Kenny Dalglish 56'
Att 52,565

1986 Oxford United (Division One) Anfield 4-0
Ian Rush 29' 89' Kenny Dalglish 33' Jan Molby 53'(Pen)
Att 34,512

1992 Manchester United (Premier League) Old Trafford 2-2
Don Hutchison 23' Ian Rush 44'
Att 33,243

1997 Everton (Premier League) Goodison Park 0-2
Att 40,112

1999 Omagh Town (Benifit Game For Bomb Victims) Saint Julians Road 7-1
Titi Camara 23' 69' Erik Meijer 37' 44' Vladimir Smicer 44' Patrik Berger 73' Jamie Redknapp 77'
Att 7,000

2003 Portsmouth (Premier League) Fratton Park 0-1
Att 20,123

2006 Bordeaux (Champions League Group Stage Match 3) Jacques Chaban Delmas Stadium 1-0
Peter Crouch 58'

2008 Wigan Athletic (Premier League) Anfield 3-2
Dirk Kuyt 38' 85' Albert Riera 80'
Att 43,868

2011 Glasgow Rangers (Friendly) Ibrox Stadium ?-?
Goals ?
Att ??,???

TRANSFERS ON THIS DAY

OUT

Hughie McAuley (1974).
We did not realize then that McAuley would return to the Club and become a stalwart of the Academy.
He shaped the careers of many players.

1st GOAL for CLUB

Albert Riera (2008) v WIGAN.
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #482 on: October 18, 2011, 12:08:02 pm »
1969 Ipswich Town (Division One) Portman Road 2-2
Bobby Graham 8' Alec Lindsay 76'
Att 23,263

Alec Lindsay scores the first of his 12 First Division goals for Liverpool. It was also his League debut for the club, coming on as a 63rd minute substitute for Phil Boersma. Alec's only previous first-team appearance had come in the 10-0 massacre of Dundalk in the previous month.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: October 18, 2011, 12:24:35 pm »
Att 33,243

This was a real sickener. As AlanM has already pointed out, United's second goal came very, very late. We dominated the first half and deservedly led 2-0 at the interval (Hutchison and Rush) with Rush's goal moving him on to 287 thus breaking the club's all-time record previously held by Roger Hunt. Between the two United goals (both scored by Mark Hughes) in the 79th and 89th minutes, Jan Molby was stretchered off after a quite dreadful tackle by Darren Ferguson. Tanner came on to replace the Dane but we just couldn't hold on through all the extra minutes that were added on by Keith Hackett at the end of 'normal' time.

The low attendance for this fixture reflected the renovation that was going on at Old Trafford in the early-1990s. It might also (I am not 100% sure of the timing of this) have been during the period when United decided not to allocate visiting clubs any match-tickets. I know that applied to our League match there in October 1995 (the match when Fowler scored twice in a 2-2 draw) but that ban might have applied in earlier years too. Can anyone confirm that ?

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #484 on: October 18, 2011, 01:01:07 pm »
Att 33,243

This was a real sickener. As AlanM has already pointed out, United's second goal came very, very late. We dominated the first half and deservedly led 2-0 at the interval (Hutchison and Rush) with Rush's goal moving him on to 287 thus breaking the club's all-time record previously held by Roger Hunt. Between the two United goals (both scored by Mark Hughes) in the 79th and 89th minutes, Jan Molby was stretchered off after a quite dreadful tackle by Darren Ferguson. Tanner came on to replace the Dane but we just couldn't hold on through all the extra minutes that were added on by Keith Hackett at the end of 'normal' time.

The low attendance for this fixture reflected the renovation that was going on at Old Trafford in the early-1990s. It might also (I am not 100% sure of the timing of this) have been during the period when United decided not to allocate visiting clubs any match-tickets. I know that applied to our League match there in October 1995 (the match when Fowler scored twice in a 2-2 draw) but that ban might have applied in earlier years too. Can anyone confirm that ?
there was an away ban announced sometime around late 1991. 1995 i think the away end may have been under renovation, no fans there though.

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #485 on: October 18, 2011, 01:08:58 pm »
On the face of it, a 2-2 draw at Old Trafford when we were pretty poor was a good result. Felt like a defeat though.

i was in a car coming back from a club game with the commentary on. The Dad of a mate who was giving is a lift was moaning at 2 down about how poor United were and how Fergie had to go. If only they'd listened. The only saving grace is I got out of the car at 2 up so at least didn't have to suffer them celebrating as their goals went in.

The Wigan game was good. Another sign that it was shaping up to be a rollercoaster season. It was Agger's first game back in a while wasn't it? Replacing Skrtel who picked up that bad knee injury at City.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: October 18, 2011, 01:45:05 pm »
On the face of it, a 2-2 draw at Old Trafford when we were pretty poor was a good result. Felt like a defeat though.

i was in a car coming back from a club game with the commentary on. The Dad of a mate who was giving is a lift was moaning at 2 down about how poor United were and how Mr Alex Ferguson had to go. If only they'd listened. The only saving grace is I got out of the car at 2 up so at least didn't have to suffer them celebrating as their goals went in.

The Wigan game was good. Another sign that it was shaping up to be a rollercoaster season. It was Agger's first game back in a while wasn't it? Replacing Skrtel who picked up that bad knee injury at City.
i dont think agger had started a league match for over a year. he made a bad mistake for one goal but then had an assist

united were pretty awful at that time of the season. we were picking up a bit of form cos we had good wins around the time over sheffield wednesday, qpr, boro and palace. i think united were as low as 10th in october at one point. buying cantona was a master stroke

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: October 18, 2011, 02:32:28 pm »
as weird as it sounds, that 3-2 against wigan, el zhar changed the game when he came on. whatever happened to amir zhaki anyway? the overhead kick he scored in that game was a belter.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 02:34:57 pm by stmichael »

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #488 on: October 18, 2011, 02:38:58 pm »
as weird as it sounds, that 3-2 against wigan, el zhar changed the game when he came on. whatever happened to amir zhaki anyway? the overhead kick he scored in that game was a belter.

Didn't we end that game with no full backs and 2 wingers on each wing (think Pennant came off the bench as well)?

Zaki got a bit fat and lazy I think and fell out with Steve Bruce. Endedup back in Egypt I think. Think he was only ever on loan at Wigan anyway.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: October 18, 2011, 02:49:01 pm »
Didn't we end that game with no full backs and 2 wingers on each wing (think Pennant came off the bench as well)?

Zaki got a bit fat and lazy I think and fell out with Steve Bruce. Endedup back in Egypt I think. Think he was only ever on loan at Wigan anyway.
think he was at hull too, benitez i think even admitted afterwards hed consider buying him which was a rare occurrence for him to admit something like that. he literally vanished though. bruce said zaki was the most unprofessional player he ever worked with

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #490 on: October 18, 2011, 03:18:07 pm »
I can remember saying after we got beat 1-0 at Portsmouth in 2003 that I'd never seen us play that badly although I said that a few times that season. 3 years later in Bordeaux was the 1st time I saw us win a Euro Away. Wigan at home in 2008 was at a time when we were able to comeback from behind and beat anybody.

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: October 18, 2011, 08:29:27 pm »
That Everton game in 1997 was shite, sat in the main stand at Goodison surrounded by bitter blues celebrating; Ruddock scored an own goal at the gwladys street end and then the shites latest wonderkid Cardermatri scored near the end. I also remember Everton were doing shite at the time, but we just couldn't win at goodison. I think we went 10 years between wins. Also Kendall was their manager at the time in 3rd stint and was probably bladdered a lot.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: October 18, 2011, 11:23:28 pm »
there was an away ban announced sometime around late 1991. 1995 i think the away end may have been under renovation, no fans there though.

They were rebuilding the Stretford End in 1992/3 so the home fans were given what was the away end.

That was a fantastic game against Wigan. To be honest we didn't deserve any more than a draw, but in the early part of the season we were mastering the art of playing badly and winning having already mugged 'Boro and Standard Liege at Anfield.

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: October 19, 2011, 08:44:24 am »
They were rebuilding the Stretford End in 1992/3 so the home fans were given what was the away end.

That was a fantastic game against Wigan. To be honest we didn't deserve any more than a draw, but in the early part of the season we were mastering the art of playing badly and winning having already mugged 'Boro and Standard Liege at Anfield.

Ya reckon Kenny can get that back again and soon ?  :butt
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: October 19, 2011, 08:44:46 am »
Today In History
October 19th

1960 Luton Town (League Cup 2ed round) Anfield 1-1
Tommy Leishman 25'
Att 10,502

1963 Westbromwich Albion (Division One) Anfield 1-0
Gordon Milne 32'
Att 43,099

1966 Petrolul Poliesti (European Cup 1st round replay) Heysel Stadium-Brussels 2-0
Ian St John 13' Peter Thompson 43'
Att 10,482

1968 Tottenham Hotspur (Division One) White Hart Lane 1-2
Roger Hunt 37'
Att 44,122

1974 Queens Park Rangers (Division One) Loftus Road 1-0
Brian Hall 6'
Att 27,392

1977 Dynamo Dresden (European Cup 2ed round 1st leg) Anfield 5-1
Alan Hansen 14' Jimmy Case 21' 57' Phil Neal 44'(Pen) Ray Kennedy 66'
Att 39,835

1982 HJK Helsinki (European Cup 2ed round 1st leg) Olympic Stadium 0-1
Att 5,722

1983 Atletico Bilbao (European Cup 2ed round 1st leg) Anfield 0-0
Att 33,063

1985 Manchester United (Division One) Old Trafford 1-1
Craig Johnston 46'
Att 54,492

1987 Dundee (George McGeachie Testimonial)Dens Park 4-0
John Barnes (2) Ray Houghton Ronnie Whelan
Att 14,463

1991 Chelsea (Division One) Stamford Bridge 2-2
Steve McManaman 4' Ian Rush 59'
Att 30,230

2002 Leeds United (Premier League) Elland Road 1-0
Salif Diao 66'
Att 40,187

2004 Deportivo La Coruna (Champions League Group Stage Match 3) Anfield 0-0
Att 40,236

2005 Anderlecht (Champions League Group Stage Match 3) Constant Vanden Stock Stadium 1-0
Djibril Cisse 20'
Att 21,824

TRANSFERS ON THIS DAY

IN

Ray Houghton (1987)

OUT

Joey Jones (1978)

EUROPEAN DEBUT + SCORED ON EUROPEAN DEBUT

Alan Hansen (1977)
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #495 on: October 19, 2011, 09:12:34 am »
I have no recollection of that Chelsea game at all. That was the season when Mcmanaman started up front due to quite a few injuries wasn't it? Him and Mike Marsh got quite a bit of action. Don't remember that Chelsea game at all though.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: October 19, 2011, 10:05:02 am »
deportivo game i got bollocked for watching some of that while working

more later if i can be bothered. boss was an utter kunt

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: October 19, 2011, 12:45:59 pm »
1983 Atletico Bilbao (European Cup 2nd round 1st leg) Anfield 0-0
Att 33,063

A European away performance by Bilbao that we would have been proud of ourselves because in the old days of a straight knock-out if you played the away leg first and did not lose it, you always felt more confident about the second leg at your own stadium. If Atletico felt that after drawing at Anfield, they were in for a big shock two weeks later as our performance out there was every bit as good as theirs at Anfield with one huge difference ... we got an away goal that would see us through the tie. The Basques were strong and disciplined (and occasionally ruthless) in defence but we just couldn't find a way through. Joe Fagan started with Rush and Robinson up front but surprisingly did not make any substitutions as the team toiled to make a breakthrough in the second half. 

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: October 19, 2011, 01:00:57 pm »
1974 Queens Park Rangers (Division One) Loftus Road 1-0
Brian Hall 6'
Att 27,392

I remember being in the South Africa Road Stand at Loftus Road for this one and witnessing a rare goal from Brian Hall, rare because he only managed fifteen First Division goals (21 in all competitions) during his Liverpool playing career. Whenever Hall scored, I was reminded of a comment a friend of mine had made shortly before the 1971 F.A. cup semi-final against Everton at Old Trafford (in which Brian scored the winning goal and his first senior goal for the club). My friend Terry had remarked during a long train journey home "That Brian Hall. He'll never score for Liverpool if he plays until he is a hundred", something we never stopped reminding him about after that semi-final.

At Loftus Road Brian scored the first of five League goals he got during the 1974-75 season. Early in the match he got the ball in the inside-left position just inside the Rangers half and headed towards goal. Not a single Rangers defender challenged him as he reached the penalty-area and flicked the ball past (almost certainly: I don't have the teams in front of me!) Phil Parkes. It was the only goal of a very forgettable game but if one goal decides a match we tend to remember the goal much better than the match itself.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:15:05 pm by kriss »

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #499 on: October 19, 2011, 03:06:42 pm »
Daft little tale from Anderlecht away. There's always one in every group who seems to take charge of getting from A to B in an unfamiliar city, and we were lucky enough to have the ultimate planner on board for this one. Like most trips, he told us he'd spent ages working out exactly where we should go and how to get there. Good one, we all thought, we'll just follow Mark. As we stood on the platform in Brussels waiting for the first train of the trip, there he was with a map explaining how many stops it was and where to change lines etc etc. He's a great bloke, but nobody was really paying much attention, chatting away about the match or whatever. Then without warning he suddenly went, "this is ours" and jumped on a train that was waiting in the platform. We watched, too slow to react, as the doors immediately started closing and he stood there between them desperately trying to hold them open and shouting for us to jump on. Sadly, we were too busy cracking up & the doors closed on him and we all waved as he glided slowly away, turning the air blue as he went. As his phone wasn't working, that was the last we saw of him until seven hours later at the match!

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: October 19, 2011, 05:02:57 pm »
the leeds away win was a saturday morning kick off, and it sent us top of the table, still unbeaten, and with high optimism for the rest of the season. shortly after that the wheels fell off, and we couldn't win an argument. we became shite.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #501 on: October 19, 2011, 06:10:13 pm »
1966 Petrolul Poliesti (European Cup 1st round replay) Heysel Stadium-Brussels 2-0
Att 10,482

Why was this tie played in Belgium?

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: October 19, 2011, 06:41:22 pm »
Att 10,482

Why was this tie played in Belgium?

Because it was a play-off in the days before the Away Goals rule was brought in. We won 2-0 at home then lost 1-3 away so there had to be a third match at a neutral venue and the Heysel Stadium in Brussels was chosen for that.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:24:57 am by kriss »

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #503 on: October 19, 2011, 09:50:16 pm »
I remember the Leeds game like it was yesterday. 

It was my wedding day!!!

I watched the game whilst getting ready, and as soon as the full-time whistle went (and we'd won thanks to Diao) I left the house and went and got married.
It was a great day all round!

It's my 9th wedding anniversary today!  :)

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #504 on: October 19, 2011, 10:10:23 pm »
I remember the Leeds game like it was yesterday. 

It was my wedding day!!!

I watched the game whilst getting ready, and as soon as the full-time whistle went (and we'd won thanks to Diao) I left the house and went and got married.
It was a great day all round!

It's my 9th wedding anniversary today!  :)

Congratulations mate. And good month for it - I've got mine coming up on 28th (beat Villa 3-0 at home, had to make do with the MOTD repeat the following morning!).

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: October 19, 2011, 11:21:18 pm »
1985 Manchester United (Division One) Old Trafford 1-1
Craig Johnston 46'
Att 54,492

2002 Leeds United (Premier League) Elland Road 1-0
Salif Diao 66'
Att 40,187

We were the 1st team to take points off the Mancs on grass that season (Luton had drawn with them on plastic). They had a record of 10 straight wins from the start and 11 wins from the 1st 12 games. Needless to say, the press, fans, and players were saying give it them now. We played really well in that game and deserved more than just a point. Didn't matter by May though as they were a distant 4th.

Glad to see Salif Diao made one useful contribution during his time at Anfield. If I recall rightly it was a diving header he scored with.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: October 19, 2011, 11:41:03 pm »
We were the 1st team to take points off the Mancs on grass that season (Luton had drawn with them on plastic). They had a record of 10 straight wins from the start and 11 wins from the 1st 12 games. Needless to say, the press, fans, and players were saying give it them now. We played really well in that game and deserved more than just a point. Didn't matter by May though as they were a distant 4th.

Glad to see Salif Diao made one useful contribution during his time at Anfield. If I recall rightly it was a diving header he scored with.

Not according to this report :

Indeed, the depth of Liverpool's squad is now such that that quartet of first-choice players was hardly missed. Diao underlined that fact with his winner, the first league goal of his career in Senegal, France and England. He scored it in the 65th minute by sneaking into the Leeds penalty area and nudging a deflected centre from fellow Senegalese international El Hadji Diouf inside the near post with his right foot.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: October 19, 2011, 11:44:06 pm »
Not according to this report :

Indeed, the depth of Liverpool's squad is now such that that quartet of first-choice players was hardly missed. Diao underlined that fact with his winner, the first league goal of his career in Senegal, France and England. He scored it in the 65th minute by sneaking into the Leeds penalty area and nudging a deflected centre from fellow Senegalese international El Hadji Diouf inside the near post with his right foot.

Thanks. In that case it was against Spartak Moscow in the CL when we beat them 5-0. I know he did score a header around that time.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: October 19, 2011, 11:52:46 pm »
Thanks. In that case it was against Spartak Moscow in the CL when we beat them 5-0. I know he did score a header around that time.

Quite right, Alan. He got our fourth goal in the 5-0 win over Spartak at Anfield on the 2nd of October 2002 :

"In the 81st minute Owen and Heskey combined for the substitute Salif Diao to amble forward, leap above Igor Mitreski and add a fourth."

Diao's only other Liverpool goal was the opener in our League Cup win at Millwall (26th October 2004).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 11:54:17 pm by kriss »

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: October 20, 2011, 12:00:52 am »
As another day starts, I'll get the ball rolling for the 20th of October :

1979 Everton (Division One) Anfield 2-2
Mick Lyons (own goal) 8’ Ray Kennedy 55’
Atrt 52,201

“Pass the ball back, pass the ball back, pass the ball back, Everton” the Kop roared at Everton for their ultra-defensive tactics at Anfield, tactics they also regularly used at Goodison. Well, at least Everton captain Mick Lyons was listening. He passed the ball back alright ... right over the head of his goalkeeper George Wood and into the empty Anfield Road goal. Everton ... the club that keeps on giving ... us own-goals ;D; William Balmer (1902), Sandy Brown (1969), Tommy Wright & John McLaughlin in the same match (1972), now Mick Lyons (1979) with John Bailey (1981), Claus Thomsen (1997), Phil Neville (2006) and Joseph Yobo (2009) still to come.

Brian Kidd scored Everton’s first goal and in doing so completed a remarkable and almost certainly unequalled feat. He had scored a First Division goal against Liverpool at Anfield for four different clubs ... Manchester United (5th September 1970), Arsenal (2nd December 1975), Manchester City (9th April 1977) and now Everton (20th October 1979). So (a) all in the same decade, (b) all at the Kop end and (c) all headers. “Quite remarkable” as David Coleman might have put it. Emphasising Liverpool’s strength at home in those days, Kidd didn’t finish on the winning side on any of those four occasions (draws with United, Arsenal and Everton, defeat with City).

Back at Anfield in 1979 a mass-brawl twenty minutes from time involving just about every outfield player ended with Liverpool’s Terry McDermott and Everton’s Garry Stanley being sent off by referee David Richardson. Stanley had chopped down David Johnson and McDermott was the first to arrive on the scene and took out retribution on Stanley. Had Richardson sent off every player who threw a punch, there wouldn’t have been enough left on the pitch for a 5-a-side match!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:05:00 am by kriss »

Offline 81a

• From Speke to Bootle via Broad Green. All aboard!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: October 20, 2011, 03:45:00 am »

Lost 1-0 the first leg away on the way to our first European Cup. Memorable for the egg shaped ball, a dodgy hotel for the team and that only one Liverpool supporter travelled to watch the game.

On home office advice at the time Liverpool refused to take a ticket allocation for the game. However, one supporter did make the trip to Trabzon via sea and land through the old iron curtain countries. The visa's alone must have been a nightmare to get. Amazing trip that he should put down in writing one day.

No spell checker in those days for the Turkish match reporter.

Little bit of match footage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQdaXOApabs

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:47:53 am by 81a »

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #511 on: October 20, 2011, 07:45:16 am »

I remember Bryan Robson saying he would jump in the Ship Canal if they never won it this season.  Never did. The shithouse.  Was probably injured. Or too busy exposing himself in nightclub toilets.
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: October 20, 2011, 08:14:54 am »
Today In History
October 20th

1971 Bayern Munich (European Cup-Winners Cup) Anfield 0-0
Att 42,949

1973 Leeds United (Division One) Elland Road 0-1
Att 44,911

1976 Trabzonspor (European Cup 2ed round 1st leg) Trabzon Sehie Stadt 0-1
Att 25,000

1979 Everton (Division One) Anfield 2-2
Mick Lyons (OG) 8' Ray Kennedy 55'
Att 52,201

1984 Everton (Division One) Anfield 0-1
Att 45,545

1990 Norwich City (Division One) Carrow Road 1-1
Gary Gillespie 2'
Att 21,275

1998 Valencia (UEFA Cup 2ed round 1st leg) Anfield 0-0
Att 26,004

2001 Leicester City (Premier League) Filbert Street 4-1
Robbie Fowler 4' 43' 90' Sami Hyypia 10'
Att 21,886

2007 Everton (Premier League) Goodison Park 2-1
Dirk Kuyt 54'(Pen) 90' (Pen)
Att 40,049

2009 Lyon (Champions League Group game 3) Anfield 1-2
Yossi Benayoun
Att 41,562

BIRTHDAYS ON THIS DAY

Chris Lawyer (68)
Ian Rush (50)
Florent Sinama Pongolle (27)

TRANSFERS ON THIS DAY

IN

David Burrows (1988)
Mark Gonzalez (2005)

Good day this one.  Good for Dirk at Goodison when he scored in that 2007 match.

Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #513 on: October 20, 2011, 08:19:28 am »
Today In History
October 20th

2007 Everton (Premier League) Goodison Park 2-1
Dirk Kuyt 54'(Pen) 90' (Pen)
Att 40,049

Was that the game Gary Neville's sister handled on the line and Kuyt fired the winner from the spot in the last minute?

Was that already 4 years ago??!!   :o

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
« Reply #514 on: October 20, 2011, 08:20:34 am »
just the fact Its Ian Rush's 50th shhould be enough to celebrate !!!

happy birthday Rushie
At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #515 on: October 20, 2011, 08:57:59 am »
Was that the game Gary Neville's sister handled on the line and Kuyt fired the winner from the spot in the last minute?

Was that already 4 years ago??!!   :o

It was.  And also the day that Rafa angered the kneejerking masses by taking Gerrard off and replacing him with Lucas.  Cue in match outrage, dummies ouf of prams all over the show. 

Lucas went on to control the game and it was his goal bound effort, saved on the line by the marginally less detestable inbred that put the game to bed.
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #516 on: October 20, 2011, 09:03:16 am »
I was on a Stag Do on the day of that Derby one. Not your average one either, I was about three quarters of the way up Ben Nevis with a stinking hangover when amazingly my mobile began to ring. It was an angry Manc whinging about the lack of a red for Kuyt, the lack of a penalty for something Carra did and of course the late winner. What a wonderful way to receive news of a Derby win! Always amazes me how he gets so worked up about results of a game not even involving his team.

Another footnote from today’s games. I met my wife to be 10 years ago today (do I get a Testimonial?) on a day/night out in Sydney. Woke in the morning to hear news of a Robbie hat-trick. Pretty decent weekend all in all! I think they might well have been his last goals for us though, I’m sure kriss can confirm?

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: October 20, 2011, 09:10:38 am »
1979 Everton Derby was a history making game as well.

Why?
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #518 on: October 20, 2011, 09:19:57 am »
just the fact Its Ian Rush's 50th shhould be enough to celebrate !!!

happy birthday Rushie

Oh well.....since he hasn't got a thread for it.....

Happy Birthday Mr. Rush!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: October 20, 2011, 09:49:25 am »

Another footnote from today’s games. I met my wife to be 10 years ago today (do I get a Testimonial?) on a day/night out in Sydney. Woke in the morning to hear news of a Robbie hat-trick. Pretty decent weekend all in all! I think they might well have been his last goals for us though, I’m sure kriss can confirm?

im sure it was too, think ade akinbiyi missed about 8 chances for leicester that game

following week he scuffed in from about 3 yards and celebrated as if hed just scored a 30 yarder to win the world cup.

few good ones today. the 1984 game graeme sharp scored an absolute belter for everton. 1990 we drew 1-1 at norwich. was our 9th game of the season and our first dropped points.

1998 we were at home to valencia but wore our away kit. lot of agro afterwards cos michael owen was dropped. valencia were only 16th in la liga but were just about to become one of the best teams in europe. within 18 months they were in a champions league final.

2007 was deadly. great sub by rafa to take off gerrard for lucas, won us the game. there was a fan in the crowd clearly shouting "what the fuck" when it happened. we also brought a load of tesco bags into the ground to slag them off!!!!!

2009 was dreadful, martin kelly had a great game. but we were just pinned back all match. our 4th loss in a row