Author Topic: Dracula (BBC/Netflix)  (Read 2739 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Dracula (BBC/Netflix)
« on: January 2, 2020, 09:28:31 am »
Anyone else catch the first episode last night?  Really fun romp, the two leads are amazing in their roles and it was suitably gory when it needed to be.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Dracula (BBC/Netflix)
« Reply #1 on: January 2, 2020, 12:54:55 pm »
It was good mate.  Is this a 3 parter?

The snarky nun is my favourite.  :D ;D

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #2 on: January 2, 2020, 07:32:21 pm »
Darker and more grisly than I was expecting...
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #3 on: January 3, 2020, 01:53:47 am »
A bit too much for a 9yr old? Not the gore but language/sex etc. My lad wants to watch it.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4 on: January 3, 2020, 12:54:05 pm »
A bit too much for a 9yr old? Not the gore but language/sex etc. My lad wants to watch it.

There's no real nudity or bad language but the gore is pretty heavy in parts.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: January 3, 2020, 01:24:13 pm »

Only you can answer that,the worst of the gore is the skin peeling but if your lad isn't easily frit then it shouldn't be too much for him.

I'm not the best judge though as my favourite film aged 9 was American Werewolf in London.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #6 on: January 3, 2020, 01:25:43 pm »

Copious amounts of Dracula's bum at one point but nothing more graphic that I recall, sex is mentioned a few times and briefly hinted at in a dream sequence. No bad language though... they're Victorians!

But some of the horror elements are pure fuel for childhood nightmares. I don't think I could have stood it at 9.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #7 on: January 3, 2020, 01:49:00 pm »
It was good mate.  Is this a 3 parter?

The snarky nun is my favourite.  :D ;D

A female Van Helsing!

Just wait for the woke screeching from the Mail and Express.

But a good watch. Need to download last night's episode as I was obviously otherwise engaged last night.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 3, 2020, 02:05:52 pm »
A female Van Helsing!

But a good watch. Need to download last night's episode as I was obviously otherwise engaged last night.

The Van Helsing tv show has loads of them,good show as well.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 3, 2020, 02:36:37 pm »
A female Van Helsing!

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #10 on: January 4, 2020, 11:01:41 pm »
Absolutely loved it, Great twists and spin on the original. Brilliant acting
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #11 on: January 4, 2020, 11:59:38 pm »
Thought it was quality some great acting in it.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #12 on: January 5, 2020, 09:51:56 am »
Wasn't a fan of that final episode, thought the first two were way better.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 5, 2020, 10:08:48 am »
The last episode was absolutely shite.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 5, 2020, 10:10:06 am »
Aye couldn't finish properly.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 5, 2020, 11:16:33 am »
I'm just watching episode 2 and realised the actress playing the Grand Duchess Valeria is Catherine Schell who played Maya in Space 1999

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #16 on: January 5, 2020, 09:56:15 pm »
Still enjoyed the third episode, but the first two are so good it's a bit shit by comparison.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #17 on: January 6, 2020, 01:50:12 am »
Only finished the first episode, ever since I thought Dracula looks like Rowan Atkinson I cant take it serious anymore.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #18 on: January 6, 2020, 06:38:50 pm »
The last episode was absolutely shite.

I don't think it was, it never bothered me in the way that others show finishes have recently.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #19 on: January 6, 2020, 08:50:49 pm »
Only finished the first episode, ever since I thought Dracula looks like Rowan Atkinson I cant take it serious anymore.
I started watching this on catch up with Ms Spion. I thought it started off well and looked good ... but then Dracula turns into some kind of comedy act and the entire thing fell apart for me. Ms Spion still likes it, but although I sat with her through episode two last night, I'd lost interest and ended up on my phone, posting in here instead.

The whole thing didn't seem to know what it wanted to be. Was it supposed to be a dark and serious series, or was it supposed to be a comedy? For me, it fell between the two stools and ended up being neither. A missed opportunity for me.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #20 on: January 6, 2020, 08:57:25 pm »
I started watching this on catch up with Ms Spion. I thought it started off well and looked good ... but then Dracula turns into some kind of comedy act and the entire thing fell apart for me. Ms Spion still likes it, but although I sat with her through episode two last night, I'd lost interest and ended up on my phone, posting in here instead.

The whole thing didn't seem to know what it wanted to be. Was it supposed to be a dark and serious series, or was it supposed to be a comedy? For me, it fell between the two stools and ended up being neither. A missed opportunity for me.

Yeah agree for the most part. I watched it till the end, but in fits and starts. The 3rd episode was a bit wtf? The ending was all a bit meh to be honest.

A missed opportunity indeed.

Online Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 8, 2020, 07:52:08 am »
I enjoyed it, particularly the first two episodes. I thought the last one lost its way with too many idiot decisions needed to allow the plot to work in a modern setting.

Spoiler
However, the whole thing was redeemed for me by the homage to Peter Cushing and the ending of the 1958 Hammer "Dracula".  :thumbup
[close]
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 8, 2020, 10:30:49 am »
The last episode was definitely a let-down, but really it was only the final 20-30 mins that got bad.

Apart from that I thought the whole thing was great. I wonder do they have any plans to continue this in any shape or form?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #23 on: January 8, 2020, 10:35:31 am »
The last episode was definitely a let-down, but really it was only the final 20-30 mins that got bad.

Apart from that I thought the whole thing was great. I wonder do they have any plans to continue this in any shape or form?

I expect so if it proves popular, cheaper actors than Sherlock.  Looks like they were maybe planning to weaponise Dracula, so I reckon the next series will have him working alongside the foundation.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 8, 2020, 11:20:50 am »
Don't need anymore of this. Episode 3 was poor.

Much prefer Sherlock.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 8, 2020, 02:18:29 pm »
First episode was geniunly amazing. 2nd episode was good but 3rd episode introduced too many pointless characters and was distinctly meh. Enjoyed it all in all though, some proper lol moments and scary bits especially in the first one.
Football is a lie

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 8, 2020, 04:52:11 pm »

Apparently the tease of who was funding the foundation in episode three was planting the seeds for a sequel...

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #27 on: January 8, 2020, 09:45:57 pm »
Apparently the tease of who was funding the foundation in episode three was planting the seeds for a sequel...

I hope so. I loved all three episodes

Thought the balance between comedy and drama was spot on
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #28 on: January 8, 2020, 09:54:41 pm »

Wasn't Van Helsing's assistant (the one who had her finger bitten off by the scuba diving Dracula) working for a sinister organisation in Being Human who were experimenting on werewolves?

Offline Glass Kites

• Anny Roader
  • 5x
    • Blog
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2020, 11:46:01 am »
Would have been great if they'd have just ended it after episode 2 - and rounded it up somehow. Those first 2 episodes were ace.

The 3rd episode ruined it for me  :no

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2020, 11:52:05 pm »
Would have been great if they'd have just ended it after episode 2 - and rounded it up somehow. Those first 2 episodes were ace.

Yeah I agree. Dracula Skyping on an ipad was just daft. As someone mentioned above, it fell between the stools of dark and comedy and didn’t know which it wanted to be.

Very enjoyable though but perhaps should have left it at 2 episodes and done 2 more next Christmas instead.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2020, 11:57:06 am »

Absolutely. The first one was great, the second was good, and the third... Well, it was nothing short of an abhorration. There was so much wrong with it that I don't know where to even begin. A decent series and nothing more. 6/10. Claes Bang is a very good actor though.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2020, 08:48:31 pm »
what the hell where they thinking with the third episode far too much of a jump for me made it into disaster.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2020, 08:37:43 pm »
what the hell where they thinking with the third episode far too much of a jump for me made it into disaster.
Yep, friggin awful ending unfortunately.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2020, 12:23:03 am »
Ms Spion messed up with our viewing of this show.

We watched on catch-up, but she played them in the wrong order.  :duh

First one started off really promising until Dracula turned into a comedian. Anyway, we sat down for what she said was episode two and it was utterly ridiculous, so I ended up posting on here instead. I couldn't work out why people on here were saying episode 2 was good. Well, at the weekend the two of us were full of cold and feeling like crap so we huddled up on the couch to watch episode 3. Ms Spion then says, ''I've seen this one''.  ::)

Turns out we watched episode 1, then episode 3, then episode 2.  :no

Anyway, episode 2 was actually decent after all.

Next time we watch somehting on catch-up with more than one episode, I'm in charge of the remote control.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.