Author Topic: 2019 RAWK Album of The Year. Votes in till 31 Dec  (Read 13705 times)

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: 2019 RAWK Album of The Year. Votes in till 31 Dec
« Reply #160 on: January 6, 2020, 12:20:09 pm »
Another vote for "Ghosteen"!
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #161 on: January 6, 2020, 12:51:48 pm »
Love these threads, basically tells me all the shit I missed through being a lazy fuck, January is always a good month for new music for me ;D ;D ;D

Can't believe I didn't know there was a new Bon Iver album :o :o :o :o

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: January 7, 2020, 06:09:36 pm »
i was a huge music lover in the 80s, 90s and noughties. as much as i try to keep up to date i recognise none of these artists. its over isnt it?
i feel like im the subject of an lcd soundsystem song or something?

i look forward to seeing what the top 3 albums are and giving them a try. if nothing grabs me im a goner.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2020, 06:11:17 pm by PROPER crazyemlyn72 »

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #163 on: January 7, 2020, 09:14:44 pm »
i was a huge music lover in the 80s, 90s and noughties. as much as i try to keep up to date i recognise none of these artists. its over isnt it?

i look forward to seeing what the top 3 albums are and giving them a try. if nothing grabs me im a goner.

Agree in the sense that music doesn`t sound as good as it used to do when I was 15 and never will again.   

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: January 7, 2020, 10:06:37 pm »
Agree in the sense that music doesn`t sound as good as it used to do when I was 15 and never will again.   

You're just not smoking the right 'erb mate  :P  ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: January 7, 2020, 10:08:24 pm »
Music sounds better than ever, year on year for me. Just overall, not that I think music in general gets better each year. It's not an arms race. But old stuff appreciates like a fine wine, and new stuff is always there to stave off the slim chance of staleness.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: January 7, 2020, 11:26:14 pm »
as much as i try to keep up to date i recognise none of these artists. its over isnt it?

If you recognise none, yes it is ;D

A straw poll carried out by rAVTM based at Strictly Park has concluded that Lana Del Rey and Richard Dawson are showing early signs of promise with The Fontaines and The National following close behind. Further back in the also rans are Tool, Jaimie Branch, and Weyes Blood... as for the rest, we'll be going to the monitors... Geoff..

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #167 on: January 8, 2020, 02:50:16 pm »
I don't even think I know what grime is.

But the Stormzy album is one of the best things I've ever heard. I can't believe I like this stuff as on the face off it, it's nothing like I would normally listen to.

But fuck. His honesty is so refreshing.

I can't believe how much I am enjoying this.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #168 on: January 8, 2020, 04:16:21 pm »

Music sounds better than ever, year on year for me. Just overall, not that I think music in general gets better each year. It's not an arms race. But old stuff appreciates like a fine wine, and new stuff is always there to stave off the slim chance of staleness.

After being involved in a local music scene and DJ:ing alternative music for much of the noughties, I was off of music for a good many years. Basically had the idea that new music was not interesting, or that it was too laborious to get into. Fast forward to 2015, due to different circumstances (was seeing a girl who was super into new music, Spotify made their first good algorithms, as well as these boards) I was hooked again. Get a kick from hearing a new band/artist or checking out a new album from something you liked before, adding to the current years releases.

It's not too late mate. Get an "in" somewhere and tag a long for the ride. Even if you don't fall for any of this years top 3 that doesn't mean there's no chance. There's a lot of good stuff out there!
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #169 on: January 8, 2020, 04:24:53 pm »
After being involved in a local music scene and DJ:ing alternative music for much of the noughties, I was off of music for a good many years. Basically had the idea that new music was not interesting, or that it was too laborious to get into. Fast forward to 2015, due to different circumstances (was seeing a girl who was super into new music, Spotify made their first good algorithms, as well as these boards) I was hooked again. Get a kick from hearing a new band/artist or checking out a new album from something you liked before, adding to the current years releases.

It's not too late mate. Get an "in" somewhere and tag a long for the ride. Even if you don't fall for any of this years top 3 that doesn't mean there's no chance. There's a lot of good stuff out there!

Good post - nice tips and sentiments.

I felt I was slipping completely out of the loop a few years ago, but for me it's been BBC 6 Music that caught my attention and connected me with lots of good music again (last three years or so) - indeed, in just the last fifteen minutes I've bookmarked a band for further listening.  Prior to that, I reckon I was just keeping up to date with releases by artists I was already familiar with.  I've always enjoyed getting to gigs, but my gig-going has also soared during this period - many of these are still old favourites but I'd say a good third/half of them are relatively new artists to me.

I'm still resisting streaming, but can see this as the next challenge for me.  A couple of times in the last year or so, albums I've wanted have been released as vinyl & digital only - I can only see that increasing during the coming years.

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #170 on: January 8, 2020, 07:25:33 pm »
Yes, same. I had kids in the early 2000s and for a while was too tired to engage with any new popular culture, including music. I was just listening to old stuff I already owned. Then in around 2012 I discovered 6 music and Spotify and now listen to loads of new stuff as well old. Have got back into buying vinyl again recently too.

I wouldn't say it sounds as good now as it does when you're 15. Music doesn't have the same emotional pull when your in your 50s as it does when you're discovering it for the first time. But I'm much more open to listening to different types of music now compared with when I was younger.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: January 8, 2020, 10:29:09 pm »
I don't even think I know what grime is.

But the Stormzy album is one of the best things I've ever heard. I can't believe I like this stuff as on the face off it, it's nothing like I would normally listen to.

But fuck. His honesty is so refreshing.

I can't believe how much I am enjoying this.

There hasn't been one vote for Stormzy yet (surprisingly) but he gets a belated 10 points for this.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: January 8, 2020, 10:34:00 pm »
I wouldn't say it sounds as good now as it does when you're 15. Music doesn't have the same emotional pull when your in your 50s as it does when you're discovering it for the first time. But I'm much more open to listening to different types of music now compared with when I was younger.

I am nearing 50 and I get as good a buzz from hearing a new band/musician as I did when 15. More on that later perhaps..

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: January 8, 2020, 11:02:17 pm »
But I'm much more open to listening to different types of music now compared with when I was younger.

100% yes.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: January 8, 2020, 11:08:54 pm »

As I'm the one totting these things up.. can I encourage you to go into the 10-16 point range say instead of the top selections first. Randomly choose one. What were you listening to back then? Am sure we could throw you something good.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: January 8, 2020, 11:24:14 pm »
I am nearing 50 and I get as good a buzz from hearing a new band/musician as I did when 15. More on that later perhaps..

* except hearing Butthole Surfers for first time age 18.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: January 9, 2020, 12:12:27 am »
As a dad of a 9 year old I'm really enjoying the exchange of ideas. As a reflection, Billie Eilish's 'Ocean Eyes' is our song. Not on the album but a massive song in ours.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #177 on: January 9, 2020, 12:59:41 pm »
Just remembered updating this last year, Filler - not sure if you want to include it somewhere along with your eagerly-anticipated results announcement:

Had five minutes to idle away and so added some links to the roll of honour in the original post...welcome to Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V into the original post if you so wish  :wave

And the roll of honour

2017:   War On Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
2016:   David Bowie - Blackstar
2015:   Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
2014:   The War On Drugs - Lost In A Dream
2013:   Arcade Fire - Reflektor
2012:   Chromatics - Kill for Love
2011:   PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
2010:   Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
2009:   Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
2008:   Kings of Leon - Only By The Night
2007:   The National - Boxer
2006:   Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat

2018:   Sons of Kemet - Your Queen is a Reptile

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #178 on: January 9, 2020, 08:49:05 pm »
I still massively enjoy discovering new music but I listen to it differently now. These days I'm more interested in the songwriting, the structure of songs, arrangements, etc. Back in the early days it was more elemental. I'd come out of gigs drenched in sweat and covered in bruises whereas now I just nod politely along.

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #179 on: January 9, 2020, 08:58:19 pm »
100% yes.
Music was much more tribal back in the 70s and early 80s, wasn't it? If you were into the Jam, like me for example, certain types of music were more or less forbidden. I have got over that now, but I still absolutely refuse to listen to any prog rock! Life's too short! This tribalism doesn't seem to exist now - my kids listen to all kinds of stuff. I don't like lots of it but it's great to see them developing their own tastes.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #180 on: January 9, 2020, 11:19:51 pm »
Music was much more tribal back in the 70s and early 80s, wasn't it? If you were into the Jam, like me for example, certain types of music were more or less forbidden. I have got over that now, but I still absolutely refuse to listen to any prog rock! Life's too short! This tribalism doesn't seem to exist now - my kids listen to all kinds of stuff. I don't like lots of it but it's great to see them developing their own tastes.

Yes, I was a Spandau Ballet fan and wouldn't touch a Duran Duran record.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 12:14:57 am by jillc »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline RF

• Are we there yet?... is it open?... where are we?... what's that?...it's a lazy twat! Is my card marked?.. Yes it is?
  • Kopite
« Reply #181 on: January 9, 2020, 11:40:17 pm »
Bit late to the party, bit will add this chill album to the mix. Passenger - sometimes it's something, sometimes it''s nothing at all.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: January 9, 2020, 11:53:55 pm »
Bit late to the party, bit will add this chill album to the mix. Passenger - sometimes it's something, sometimes it''s nothing at all.

As it won't affect the leaderboard I'll try and put that in. Hopefully results will be up tomorrow... if not, Saturday.

Yes, I was a Spandau Ballet fan and would touch a Duran Duran record.  ;D

Ha! Wondering now if there was a similar animosity between Nik Kershaw and Howard Jones fans ;D

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2020, 12:16:24 am »

As it won't affect the leaderboard I'll try and put that in. Hopefully results will be up tomorrow... if not, Saturday.

Ha! Wondering now if there was a similar animosity between Nik Kershaw and Howard Jones fans ;D

I quite liked Nik Kershaw, not sure about Howard Jones though.  ;D

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: January 10, 2020, 12:45:48 am »
I quite liked Nik Kershaw, not sure about Howard Jones though.  ;D

I liked both so would have been despised by their Ultras. Would I be right in thinking Jones had a better album in him than Kershaw, with Kershaw more at home with singles? Howard Jones also released an LP last year tho yet to hear it (and nobody voted for it).

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2020, 11:00:19 pm »

As I'm the one totting these things up.. can I encourage you to go into the 10-16 point range say instead of the top selections first. Randomly choose one. What were you listening to back then? Am sure we could throw you something good.

sorry for the very late reply. i had a listen to lana del rey, and fell into a depression, i know i'm done for. i'd usually listen to an album 3 or 4 times and if it has anything for me it will sink in. couldnt give it a second listen.

what am i listening to now? the vines, the hives, the strokes, the cars, the cribs, all the "The" bands. also the the, the beatles, the white stripes, the stranglers, the stone roses, the dandy warhols.

also some non "The" bands like, split enz, crowded house, lcd soundsystem, hot chip, television. i hope this gives you a flavour. but im stuck in the past now, im happy there. but if theres something new im all ears.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: February 29, 2020, 10:35:08 pm »
sorry for the very late reply. i had a listen to lana del rey, and fell into a depression, i know i'm done for. i'd usually listen to an album 3 or 4 times and if it has anything for me it will sink in. couldnt give it a second listen.

what am i listening to now? the vines, the hives, the strokes, the cars, the cribs, all the "The" bands. also the the, the beatles, the white stripes, the stranglers, the stone roses, the dandy warhols.

also some non "The" bands like, split enz, crowded house, lcd soundsystem, hot chip, television. i hope this gives you a flavour. but im stuck in the past now, im happy there. but if theres something new im all ears.

I've only listened to Lana Del Rey album once (it is long, and over bloated). I would listen to it again tho, but maybe not for a while. Parts of it I really loved, but they were isolated piques of interest. Having said that, quite liked seeing her celebrated. It's a really good cover and cover art can really skew me (holds hand up here).

In short, it was some sort of 'answer', (but not the right one obv - which has only happened ONCE!)

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: February 29, 2020, 10:36:19 pm »

In short, it was some sort of 'answer', (but not the right one obv - which has only happened ONCE!)

Peasant by Richard Dawson, and Sons of Kemet debut, so that's twice.

Twiiiice!

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: February 29, 2020, 10:38:31 pm »
plenty of bands around that should be of interest in those lists... good ones too.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: February 29, 2020, 10:39:01 pm »
I liked both so would have been despised by their Ultras. Would I be right in thinking Jones had a better album in him than Kershaw, with Kershaw more at home with singles? Howard Jones also released an LP last year tho yet to hear it (and nobody voted for it).

Kershaw had some really good singles I must admit. You could be right as I don't remember him having as good an album. Then again I don't remember much of the stuff Howard Jones did, as I didn't listen to him that much.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: February 29, 2020, 11:01:20 pm »
Kershaw had some really good singles I must admit. You could be right as I don't remember him having as good an album. Then again I don't remember much of the stuff Howard Jones did, as I didn't listen to him that much.

Found a Howard Jones album in my collection today - don't even have a Nik Kershaw 12" so Howard wins.  ;D

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: February 29, 2020, 11:22:47 pm »
Found a Howard Jones album in my collection today - don't even have a Nik Kershaw 12" so Howard wins.  ;D

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.  ;D

This from someone who wouldn't even listen to Duran Duran years before and now has three of their records in their music library. How my standards have slipped.  ;D

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: February 29, 2020, 11:46:15 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/U7iW5OEeCUw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/U7iW5OEeCUw</a>

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #193 on: March 1, 2020, 01:14:50 am »
Who won?

Offline Dan86

• Kopite
« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2020, 12:59:28 am »
Thanks for the recommendations all  :wave good music is much appreciated at the moment.
"if you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later"
- Bob Paisley

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: April 10, 2020, 11:40:45 am »
Who won?
Was just looking through and can't see the final list. Is it posted anywhere? What with everything that's happening at the moment I was hoping to do some catch up listening.

Offline tbonejones

• Dr. Doolittle
  • Legacy Fan
  • We'll be coming down the road...
« Reply #196 on: April 10, 2020, 05:18:31 pm »
Who won?
Was just looking through and can't see the final list. Is it posted anywhere? What with everything that's happening at the moment I was hoping to do some catch up listening.

Here you are chaps: https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=344449.msg16987725

There was a new topic for the results.
Journo: ''So, let me get this right, train, coach, train, plane.''
Rafa: ''No, coach first because we will not be walking to the train station.''

Don't Buy The Sun - www.dontbuythesun.co.uk

It was poodle. She was rocking a fucking poodle to sleep.