Author Topic: Better Call Saul  (Read 185509 times)

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Better Call Saul
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2015, 01:40:30 pm »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2015, 01:45:26 pm »
This is great.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2015, 04:16:09 pm »
This is great.
I wasn't as impressed with the first episode as most, but I appreciate that most pilots need to lay some groundwork.  The second episode was fantastic.

Not as focused as Breaking Bad, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing.  Very, very promising.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2015, 06:38:07 pm »

The second episode was fantastic.

Has it aired? Thought it wasn' til next week on netflix.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2015, 06:45:45 pm »
Has it aired? Thought it wasn' til next week on netflix.
Episode two was added to Netflix this morning, it aired stateside last night.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2015, 07:57:30 pm »
Episode two was added to Netflix this morning, it aired stateside last night.

Oh nice swan!
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2015, 11:20:57 pm »
Was talking to two of my friends about this on Skype today.

In obvious terms - I felt that the show, well, I liked it and thought it was interesting. But I felt it was very forced at times with regards to the plot points. Obviously, it is going to draw off of it's mother show; however, people who will have seen it will know what I am talking about. Of course, characters have an opportunity to develop and grow into their roles that we know and love in Breaking Bad, but I still wondered whether I was enjoying it for it's Drama, or for nostalgic purposes.

Continually on 11,420.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2015, 11:46:44 pm »
I think you can only truly judge that with time. I'd really like the views of someone who hasn't seen BrBa.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2015, 12:00:36 am »
I don't think there's anything nostalgic about it, at least as far as I'm concerned, not enough time has passed.  Personally, I didn't have high hopes at all, despite having the utmost regard for Gilligan (I once sent him a spec script, he obviously treated it with the respect it deserved).  Breaking Bad was a behemoth and I thought Better Call Saul was perhaps too soon, but it's very much it's own thing.  Its tonally different, it doesn't seem as focused and Saul (James) is a much more defined character than he was in Breaking Bad.

If Breaking Bad didn't exist this would stand on it's own, at least based on the first two episodes.

I liked Breaking Bad, I didn't love it.  I actually think the first two episodes of this are stronger than the first two of BB.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2015, 12:09:57 am »
Spoiler
I wonder how much more we'll see of life after Saul moved to Omaha.As in the first scene in the new series.He doesn't look too happy anyway.
[close]

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2015, 01:46:12 am »
I am not so sure it would stand on it's own feet - again however, as has rightly been said, it is only two episodes. It is, well paced (at times) and yes, it is styled different to BB.

But my point is:

Spoiler
After two episodes, we've seen Salamanca and Mike in very different lives than presented in Breaking Bad. It was nice to see these two characters, Mike especially - But that is what I mean, within two episodes it is screaming "Breaking Bad Spinoff" - "Here is MIKE, TUCO!". And with that in mind, I don't think it is essentially too early to judge 'if it stands as its own program', not when the show introduces these two characters from Breaking Bad so early.

In Episode two, Mijo (Or Tuco as we know him), drops in on the action like a bomb. I'm not moaning here, it's good to see, but his introduction really did drop with a clang. I'm half expecting Brandon to make an appearance soon, being defended by Saul.
[close]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:48:16 am by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2015, 02:07:31 am »
The writing and characterisation are good enough to stand on their own two feet in my opinion.  If Breaking Bad didn't exist, most would still be loving this because its funny and entertaining.  Obviously the characters do exist, but that shouldn't negate the way they're drawn in 'Better Call Saul'.  It's an entertaining show irrespective of its origins.

If this was a brand new show with original characters, I'd bet that most would love it.  Hence, standing on its own two feet.  Entertainment should be judged on its own merits.  If this was called 'Better Call Paul', set in Washington and didn't have characters from Breaking Bad it would still be a very promising show. The writing makes this. However, it is a spinoff and will have a crossover of characters, it would work perfectly well without the BrBa connection though.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2015, 04:08:13 am »
I am not so sure it would stand on it's own feet - again however, as has rightly been said, it is only two episodes. It is, well paced (at times) and yes, it is styled different to BB.

But my point is:

Spoiler
After two episodes, we've seen Salamanca and Mike in very different lives than presented in Breaking Bad. It was nice to see these two characters, Mike especially - But that is what I mean, within two episodes it is screaming "Breaking Bad Spinoff" - "Here is MIKE, TUCO!". And with that in mind, I don't think it is essentially too early to judge 'if it stands as its own program', not when the show introduces these two characters from Breaking Bad so early.

In Episode two, Mijo (Or Tuco as we know him), drops in on the action like a bomb. I'm not moaning here, it's good to see, but his introduction really did drop with a clang. I'm half expecting Brandon to make an appearance soon, being defended by Saul.
[close]

i thoroughly enjoyed it, but i have to agree with a lot of this.

Spoiler
the callbacks are just too, too heavy-handed.  there really was no need to go quite so big on them so soon.  everybody who's watching this after BB already knows the stuff, and everybody else - well, it'd just be meaningless to them.  there's an insecurity in reaching for the tuco option in the first episode, and really it wasn't needed at all.  that sort of punch-the-air BB-fanwanky moment is what BCS should be going out of its way to avoid at this stage, to stand on its own feet.  so far we've had mike, tuco, and "criminal...lawyer".  too much too soon for my liking.  it's not like gilligan doesn't have enough reputation to launch a new show - his stock has never been higher.  odd choices.

but all that said, the writing is superb, and odenkirk is brilliant, and it's shaping up to be a great series already.
[close]

If this was a brand new show with original characters, I'd bet that most would love it. 

i'm not sure about that - the whole reason the show is interesting for most viewers is because we already know the character's future, and it's a case of filling in the gaps.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 04:13:20 am by sideshowme »
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2015, 11:44:40 am »
I really enjoyed episode 2.  It probably helped that I watched it after our win last night so was in a good mood.

Just as Walter White's character arc was predictable, so it is with Jimmy/Saul.  He didn't set out to be a criminal lawyer - but it's just that fates conspired against him (or with him).  We know how he's going to end up - it doesn't stop us enjoying the ride. 

And nobody can set up and film a great caper-mixed-with-terror episode like Vince Gilligan and his directors. 

Rather than thinking of it as Breaking Bad Redux, it's got more of a vibe about Fargo (the series) about it. It's lighter in tone, lots more comic moments, but can turn dark pretty quickly. 
And Tuco's just a delight.  He really loves his granny.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2015, 01:12:18 pm »
And Tuco's just a delight.  He really loves his granny.

there's a t-shirt in that, i'm sure.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2015, 02:08:37 pm »
there's a t-shirt in that, i'm sure.
Rooney already has the copyright.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2015, 03:45:57 pm »
Quite liked both episodes. I think it'll go on to become more of its own show later down the line (while still probably having more reoccurring characters) but right now its just an easy and accessible thing to do by giving us a couple right off the bat. I don't see it as an issue really either. Love seeing Saul try and win his cases and do his thing (like putting the 2 skaters in their place when they tried to have him over) and then weasel his way out of tight spots like in ep2. Like how he didn't just walk away after getting himself out of a tight spot in the latest episode but got the skaters off lightly as well.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2015, 03:47:24 pm »
The writing and characterisation are good enough to stand on their own two feet in my opinion.  If Breaking Bad didn't exist, most would still be loving this because its funny and entertaining.  Obviously the characters do exist, but that shouldn't negate the way they're drawn in 'Better Call Saul'.  It's an entertaining show irrespective of its origins.

If this was a brand new show with original characters, I'd bet that most would love it.  Hence, standing on its own two feet.  Entertainment should be judged on its own merits.  If this was called 'Better Call Paul', set in Washington and didn't have characters from Breaking Bad it would still be a very promising show. The writing makes this. However, it is a spinoff and will have a crossover of characters, it would work perfectly well without the BrBa connection though.

Well that may be so, but they aren't really are they? Otherwise they wouldn't exist, we'd be none the wiser. Of course it's entertaining, but I can't say with any degree of certainty that it would be as entertaining if Breaking Bad didn't exist. This is of course, a bit of a chicken and egg argument that no-one can prove/disprove - It's all down to our personal opinions.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2015, 03:48:37 pm »
i thoroughly enjoyed it, but i have to agree with a lot of this.

Spoiler
the callbacks are just too, too heavy-handed.  there really was no need to go quite so big on them so soon.  everybody who's watching this after BB already knows the stuff, and everybody else - well, it'd just be meaningless to them.  there's an insecurity in reaching for the tuco option in the first episode, and really it wasn't needed at all.  that sort of punch-the-air BB-fanwanky moment is what BCS should be going out of its way to avoid at this stage, to stand on its own feet.  so far we've had mike, tuco, and "criminal...lawyer".  too much too soon for my liking.  it's not like gilligan doesn't have enough reputation to launch a new show - his stock has never been higher.  odd choices.

but all that said, the writing is superb, and odenkirk is brilliant, and it's shaping up to be a great series already.
[close]

i'm not sure about that - the whole reason the show is interesting for most viewers is because we already know the character's future, and it's a case of filling in the gaps.

When you look at the Saul character and his make-up. It might have been planned from the inception of his character. You never know.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2015, 04:25:54 pm »
When you look at the Saul character and his make-up. It might have been planned from the inception of his character. You never know.

i doubt it, personally.  i know he was a fan favourite in BB, but i just saw him as a bit of comic relief.  he was very sparsely drawn, one-note, to the extent that anything could be his backstory and i wasn't particularly interested in it anyway - that's why when this show was first proposed, i was uncertain.  he just wasn't a very interesting character in BB. 

however, gilligan and gould seem to have taken him in a clever direction so far.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2015, 04:56:11 pm »
I actually cheered when I saw who answered the door at Granny's house!  8) ....one of my favourite BB characters
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Cattive Maniere

• Legacy Fan
  • Mentalita Ultras
    • bettingtips365
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2015, 05:34:25 pm »
I can safely say that Im hooked.  :D Can't wait for the third episode.

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2015, 06:23:20 pm »
Spoiler
Agree that Tuco's introduction was too much too soon. Just hope the BB call-backs are few and far between in the next few episodes.

Nice to see Mike being eased in as a character though, we all knew he was going to be one of the major characters so there was no need for a dramatic entrance.

Overall, really enjoying it and glad that it's clearly different from BB. The scene with the legs being broken was hilarious, in BB a scene like that would have been far more sinister.
[close]

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2015, 06:47:11 pm »
BCS insider podcast is out. The first includes Vince, the other creator and Bob.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 07:02:34 pm by Impolite King Brian Blessed »

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2015, 10:03:39 pm »
BCS insider podcast is out. The first includes Vince, the other creator and Bob.

i feel sorry for peter gould, forever to be known as "the other one."

do you have to have itunes to get this podcast?

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2015, 10:33:30 am »
Spoiler
The Tuco scene in the desert felt like it lasted a bit longer than it should have.

Other than that, an enjoyable episode.

PS: The troll imitation....hahaha
[close]
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2015, 01:57:12 pm »
i feel sorry for peter gould, forever to be known as "the other one."

do you have to have itunes to get this podcast?
Haha, yeah, the other one.

I don't think you have to have itunes. The BrBa Insiders were on the AMC website, so the BCS ones probably will be, too.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2015, 02:35:23 pm »
Saul, branching out to the Moss.

Continually on 11,420.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2015, 04:55:14 pm »
Dont understand some of the negativity - I am really enjoying thus far
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2015, 09:37:52 pm »
Youre the worst lawyer in the world!

I just got you from a life sentence to 6 months probation, im the best lawyer in the world!

Loved that second episode

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2015, 05:56:13 pm »
Second episode was more gripping but lacked direction at times IMO.

Solid two episodes though and I'll certainly be tuning in every week.

To be fair I didn't really get hooked on BB until around episode 3 or 4.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2015, 05:58:26 pm »
I didn`t get hooked to Breaking Bad before season 3. 

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2015, 06:58:13 pm »
First episode of BB had me, I really enjoyed this as well so far. I must be the only person ever to have lost interest in the last series of BB though. Just read the ending as I couldn't be arsed watching it by then. Sacriligious!
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2015, 10:03:09 pm »
Loved the first two episode. Didn't think it would be that good but it's got me hooked!

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2015, 10:40:23 am »
Dont understand some of the negativity - I am really enjoying thus far

Whos being negative?

ive only heard positive reviews. Still got 100% on rotten tomatoes

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/better-call-saul/s01/
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2015, 11:56:20 am »
I loved the opening episodes.

My only gripe with it is it doesn't have enough Mike in it.

But good things come to those who wait i guess.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2015, 02:50:37 pm »

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2015, 10:18:40 am »
Whos being negative?

ive only heard positive reviews. Still got 100% on rotten tomatoes

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/better-call-saul/s01/
I was meaning a couple on here
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2015, 10:38:34 am »
I thought both episodes were great and cant wait for the next one, some people look into things far to deeply, just enjoy it for what it is and forget about Breaking Bad

Offline livesound

• Kopite
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2015, 11:27:50 am »
Surprised I took almost a week before watching but only a day to wait for episode 3.

Really enjoyed most of it. More Mike would be fantastic however.