Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers.  (Read 34180 times)

Offline Oh Caption! My Caption!

• Was Alonso.
  • Legacy Fan
  • And it's GERAAAAAAARD!!!
Brendan Rodgers.
« on: November 18, 2012, 09:05:36 pm »
Couldnt see another open topic.

Anyway, very impressed by him yesterday with his tactical changes, thats a few times this season he has made good tactical changes during a match and helped change the game. Also encouraging that he realises the weaknesses in the squad and how they need to be solved. Very interesting the way he has spoken about getting players who will be able to capitalise on the space that suarez creates

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brendan Rodgers.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 09:16:40 pm »
There was a Rodgers tactical topic, but I think that got locked off.

You can tell he was schooled by the likes of Mourinho.  When something isn't working he changes it, even if it's quite early.  Made a huge difference yesterday.  Early on I was a little unsure at the way he speaks about players in the press, but when you look at how Enrique and Henderson have responded, it's a great way to work out who truly wants to succeed here.

Still early days, but I like what I see.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 09:17:57 pm »
Couldnt see another open topic.

Anyway, very impressed by him yesterday with his tactical changes, thats a few times this season he has made good tactical changes during a match and helped change the game. Also encouraging that he realises the weaknesses in the squad and how they need to be solved. Very interesting the way he has spoken about getting players who will be able to capitalise on the space that suarez creates

He makes the changes early, other managers seem to make subs according to the time

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 09:20:20 pm »
He makes the changes early, other managers seem to make subs according to the time
Managers trust their setup. Rodgers is still finding his. Good to see he is willing.
Why are you looking past this season?

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 09:21:26 pm »
He has balls. I like balls.

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 09:23:27 pm »
He has balls. I like balls.
Keep that to yourself mate.
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

Offline TitanTrigger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 09:24:27 pm »

It's funny I was looking at an Arsenal forum during one of their recent games (forget which one) and they were able to call the exact time and players to be substituted before it happened.

Offline givemekaliber

• Official Gimp to the Transfer Forum!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leather Bottle - Halewood
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 09:29:13 pm »
Tommy Smith is better looking than Sophia Loren

Suarez is an utter lunatic

Smoke bombs/grenades/pyros/giros are necessary

Offline lfcbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Oh campione
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 09:29:43 pm »
Shh no credit or praise can be given to anyone but Suarez on here. Maybe Lucas if you're lucky.
Made me lol
“Everything will be ok in the end. If it’s not ok, it’s not the end.”

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 09:31:47 pm »
It's funny I was looking at an Arsenal forum during one of their recent games (forget which one) and they were able to call the exact time and players to be substituted before it happened.

It is that complacency that has landed Arsene in the position the club find themselves in. When he first arrived there, he was a breath of fresh air and you could see the determination in him...

"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 09:32:38 pm »
Shh no credit or praise can be given to anyone but Suarez on here. Maybe Lucas if you're lucky.
We are 11th. Praise will be present when due. I am sure all the staff are working towards that.

Offline elliskco Papes

• Main Stander
  • Go forth and destroy them you redmen.
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 09:33:24 pm »
he know what he wants he has a definite plan. we need that.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 09:34:44 pm »
It is that complacency that has landed Arsene in the position the club find themselves in. When he first arrived there, he was a breath of fresh air and you could see the determination in him...

Football has changed a bit since then, mainly off the pitch. I also think that when he arrived he picked French players from the best group they ever had. Helps a lot.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 09:36:30 pm »
Been fairly impressed with him so far this season.  The only thing that slightly annoys me about him though is the way he goes on about tactics and so forth in pressers and post match interviews. Tends to make him come across as though he's reinvented the way to play football.

I wish he wouldn't state every single thing out loud as well.  Like how we're going to be buying strikers in January.  Keep in in house Brendan.  No need to broadcast.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 09:36:36 pm »
he know what he wants he has a definite plan. we need that.
No. He had plan that was unrealistic for now. He is now reacting and learning as he goes. Not ideal, but it is improvement.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 09:36:39 pm »
He needs time and backing - not in a long time have we seen tactical changes that completly change the game.. He needs to get it right from the off, but it's a steep learning curve - and he is learning fast.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 09:39:46 pm »
I would also argue that some other managers get the tactics right in the 1st place that's why they don't really have to make massive changes or changes at 60mins. Not a go at Rodgers, just an honest opinion. I'm sure this massive chop and change habit is going to lessen as Rodgers gets a grip and experience.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:43:32 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline elliskco Papes

• Main Stander
  • Go forth and destroy them you redmen.
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 09:42:59 pm »
No. He had plan that was unrealistic for now. He is now reacting and learning as he goes. Not ideal, but it is improvement.

he is reacting and learning, but in the long run given the right resources, his "original plan" will come to the fore and manifest.

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 09:43:42 pm »
You actually get the sense we are moving forward now under Rodgers, slowly but surely, unlike under previous regimes. When he talks, it's a breath of fresh air, one of the few who are actually clued up on the game. Not afraid to change things when it isn't working either, some managers are too egoistic and stubborn, preferring to keep faith in the line up they selected when infact it was a poor decision. All the talk about no flexibility has been put to bed aswell now hopefully. We have seen 4-4-1-1, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 3-5-2 so far in his rein. Also I think having a defined style of play with certain roles is good for the team. Under Kenny and Hodgson, often we would go direct one game with say Carroll and the next we would have Suarez upfront. Two totally different types of players that thrive off different service. Now we can maybe be more consistent as we will play this way all the time.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:45:51 pm by Thog »

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 09:43:56 pm »
...but when you look at how Enrique and Henderson have responded, it's a great way to work out who truly wants to succeed here.

Still early days, but I like what I see.

Agreed. Of the players who were already here, Suarez is in the form of his life. Enrique and Henderson seem to be up for it, as does JonJo. He's kept Skrtel and Agger when it looked like they could both be leaving. He's given chances to Sterling, Suso and Wisdom which even had they not stepped up, which they have, gives encouragement to the likes of Robinson and Coady who have made the odd appearance and can be confident there's no glass ceiling at the club. The players he's brought in look like good value for money. It's all good. Early days, as you say, Brendan's only had 12 league games in charge but he's doing and saying the right things and that's the reason he's getting patience from the fans whereas the owl didn't. Actually I'm surprised there hasn't been a press agenda against him, given he's had as 'dodgy' a start as Mr 30 years experience.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 09:44:38 pm »
'Xacto! See above post from meself...
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 09:45:45 pm »
I would also argue that some other managers get the tactics right in the 1st place that's why they don't really have to make massive changes or changes at 60mins. Not a go at Rodgers, just an honest opinion.

Tactics can be right in the first place but they still dont pan out on the day.  That could be due to players not performing well, the other team setting up differently than expected etc. A good manager can see that and reacts quickly to remedy the situation

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 09:46:40 pm »
he is reacting and learning, but in the long run given the right resources, his "original plan" will come to the fore and manifest.

Agree with this. Changed the system just over half an hour into the game yesterday replacing Suso (who didn't have a poor game) with the lively and energetic Henderson, reverting to the more familiar 4-3-3 system. Openly admitted after the game in his interview that he maybe didn't get it right from the start and had to alter things and it obviously paid off.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 09:47:46 pm »
Tactics can be right in the first place but they still dont pan out on the day.  That could be due to players not performing well, the other team setting up differently than expected etc. A good manager can see that and reacts quickly to remedy the situation
Oh I agree fully. It's when it becomes a habit(having to change personnel AND formation in-game for a run of games)- then I start to question the original tactics for each of those games. Rafa rarely had to do so for instance.

As you say though- the ability to spot a mistake early and rectify it, is the encouraging thing.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:49:49 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline TitanTrigger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 09:48:17 pm »
I would also argue that some other managers get the tactics right in the 1st place that's why they don't really have to make massive changes or changes at 60mins. Not a go at Rodgers, just an honest opinion. I'm sure this massive chop and change habit is going to lessen as Rodgers gets a grip and experience.

I agree with you in that he is probably still getting to know the squad and also for the first time in his career other teams may be changing their playing styles because they are facing us, which will need to be factored in.

It is still refreshing to see the humility to admit that you got it wrong and change it quickly, Ferguson waited until the 70th minute yesterday before changing a midfield that was getting shat on by Norwich.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 09:51:27 pm »
Agreed. Of the players who were already here, Suarez is in the form of his life. Enrique and Henderson seem to be up for it, as does JonJo. He's kept Skrtel and Agger when it looked like they could both be leaving. He's given chances to Sterling, Suso and Wisdom which even had they not stepped up, which they have, gives encouragement to the likes of Robinson and Coady who have made the odd appearance and can be confident there's no glass ceiling at the club. The players he's brought in look like good value for money. It's all good. Early days, as you say, Brendan's only had 12 league games in charge but he's doing and saying the right things and that's the reason he's getting patience from the fans whereas the owl didn't. Actually I'm surprised there hasn't been a press agenda against him, given he's had as 'dodgy' a start as Mr 30 years experience.
You could also say that Gerrard and Sahin have played way under their possible ability as they are picked even though they are out of position and aren't worried about losing their place. Hopefully Sahin now sees that Henderson can replace him if needed.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 09:53:41 pm »
Oh I agree fully. It's when it becomes a habit(having to change personnel AND formation in-game for a run of games)- then I start to question the original tactics for each of those games. Rafa rarely had to do so for instance.

As you say though- the ability to spot a mistake early and rectify it, is the encouraging thing.
Rafa was brilliant at tweaking the team mid match. He started with a better balance through the squad and could use they players out there to solve problems and put out fires.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2012, 09:55:06 pm »

It was interesting that in terms of the men in the middle, they were actually set-up in terms of Rodgers ideal formation. 2 CMs that go up and down the pitch and one DM behind them. They didn't keep the ball as well as perhaps Rodgers ideally would have wanted maybe, but in terms of pressing, they were doing Rodgers plan.

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 09:55:45 pm »
i like the way that when he sees he has made a tactical error that he doesnt wait til its too late to change it
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 09:55:59 pm »
Been fairly impressed with him so far this season.  The only thing that slightly annoys me about him though is the way he goes on about tactics and so forth in pressers and post match interviews. Tends to make him come across as though he's reinvented the way to play football.

I wish he wouldn't state every single thing out loud as well.  Like how we're going to be buying strikers in January.  Keep in in house Brendan.  No need to broadcast.

I love it when Rodgers starts talking about tactics personally. Kenny would never start talking about the match tactically. Never saw him writing on a notepad either, think Kenny was more of a man manager than a tactical guru. Wanted the players to have freedom to express themselves but the players he bought are used to more rigid ways of playing and aren't good enough technically to recreate the Liverpool of old. He's to blame for that. Better players were available like Vidal, Mata, Cazorla yet he went for homegrown, overpriced "talent".

Also talking in the press out loud about certain players has had a positive effect. Maybe he could talk less about transfers but I don't have a problem with it. Keeps the fans up to date, and sometimes he keeps quiet aswell. Look at the Assaidi deal, no one had an inkling.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:57:38 pm by Thog »

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 10:00:28 pm »

Exactly. He's spoken of having to maybe use an 'intermediate system' until he can properly use the system he wants. Just like Rafa had to when he first came here. The 4-2-3-1 of 2009 (similar to his Valencia team) didn't happen overnight, he played 4-4-2 for the majority of his early reign.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 10:00:43 pm »
I love it when Rodgers starts talking about tactics personally. Kenny would never start talking about the match tactically. Never saw him writing on a notepad either, think Kenny was more of a man manager than a tactical guru. Wanted the players to have freedom to express themselves but the players he bought are used to more rigid ways of playing. He's to blame for that.

Also talking in the press out loud about certain players has had a positive effect. Maybe he could talk less about transfers but I don't have a problem with it. Keeps the fans up to date, and sometimes he keeps quiet aswell. Look at the Assaidi deal, no one had an inkling.
What crap. If Kenny was given the time and support people want Brendan to get I am sure you would have seen team learn. It's funny now Kenny made all these mistakes creating his team in a year, but they then shout how much time Brendan should be allowed.

How about from now on you agree that Kenny, like Brendan should have been allowed to see out his vision for the club, and stop badgering the man after he was shafted.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 10:02:41 pm »
It was interesting that in terms of the men in the middle, they were actually set-up in terms of Rodgers ideal formation. 2 CMs that go up and down the pitch and one DM behind them. They didn't keep the ball as well as perhaps Rodgers ideally would have wanted maybe, but in terms of pressing, they were doing Rodgers plan.
That's somewhat true. I still think the players position in that 3 are wrong, and cannot understand why he is sticking with Gerrard and Allen in their positions. Lets not also forget that Henderson has been there all along to fix the porous problem and Brendan has refused to play him.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 10:04:14 pm »
Exactly. He's spoken of having to maybe use an 'intermediate system' until he can properly use the system he wants. Just like Rafa had to when he first came here. The 4-2-3-1 of 2009 (similar to his Valencia team) didn't happen overnight, he played 4-4-2 for the majority of his early reign.

Pretty excited to see how we set up tactically when Lucas gets back. I think his return could change quite a few things in how we set up and the roles of certain players including Allen and Gerrard.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 10:04:23 pm »
i like the way that when he sees he has made a tactical error that he doesnt wait til its too late to change it

Same. After the change yesterday we looked far more dangerous in the 4-3-3 that he had opted against heading into the game. 

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2012, 10:05:00 pm »
What crap. If Kenny was given the time and support people want Brendan to get I am sure you would have seen team learn. It's funny now Kenny made all these mistakes creating his team in a year, but they then shout how much time Brendan should be allowed.

How about from now on you agree that Kenny, like Brendan should have been allowed to see out his vision for the club, and stop badgering the man after he was shafted.

Let's not turn this into a Kenny v Rodgers thread.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, 10:06:17 pm »
Let's not turn this into a Kenny v Rodgers thread.
I'm not lad, I am asking him not to.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2012, 10:06:49 pm »
Agreed. Of the players who were already here, Suarez is in the form of his life. Enrique and Henderson seem to be up for it, as does JonJo. He's kept Skrtel and Agger when it looked like they could both be leaving. He's given chances to Sterling, Suso and Wisdom which even had they not stepped up, which they have, gives encouragement to the likes of Robinson and Coady who have made the odd appearance and can be confident there's no glass ceiling at the club. The players he's brought in look like good value for money. It's all good. Early days, as you say,

Agree with all of that....particularly about Suarez...the lad's playing out of his skin - which is remarkable considering the year he's had...im sure the Ulsterman has had a fair bit to do with that.......Im liking his style
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2012, 10:10:37 pm »
Agree with all of that....particularly about Suarez...the lad's playing out of his skin - which is remarkable considering the year he's had...im sure the Ulsterman has had a fair bit to do with that.......Im liking his style
He has always played out of his skin, he was in as good if not better form in the first 6 months of his time here. Started last season really well also.

That shithead from up the road really fucked him last season along with the ban.

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2012, 10:11:02 pm »
I posted earlier today, but i heard from my mate who plays disabled football, and at a game over the weekend Brendan Rodgers' agent was there (hes also Walcott's and Jones' agent i think). My mate said the agent told him that Brendan Rodgers' is regarded as one of the most tactically aware managers in the league and he is well respected. Also says that in training we are a class team. Also says that hes very stubborn.