Author Topic: Pre-match thread: Brighton vs Liverpool, 12th January, 3pm  (Read 35414 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Pre-match thread: Brighton vs Liverpool, 12th January, 3pm
« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2019, 09:05:42 pm »
Last season, we beat them 5-1 with Wijnaldum and Emre Can as centre backs.

They're a better side since then.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #161 on: January 10, 2019, 09:08:04 pm »
*ponders*
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #162 on: January 10, 2019, 09:13:43 pm »

And yet lower in the league.
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2019, 09:28:45 pm »
I expect our 13th clean sheet in the league on Saturday.

Offline Perseus

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2019, 09:52:38 pm »

Brighton team likely to be almost identical except for the keeper (reserve) and Solly March included.  Points tally almost identical as well at the same stage as last season. Goal difference likewise.

Coutinho ran the show on his own last season.   

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2019, 09:57:04 pm »
Hard to see City getting anything other than full points from their next 3 games.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2019, 09:57:24 pm »
Brighton team likely to be almost identical except for the keeper (reserve) and Solly March included.  Points tally almost identical as well at the same stage as last season. Goal difference likewise.

Coutinho ran the show on his own last season.

Thought they fixed their defensive frailties in terms of goal conceded in comparison to last year[I think we scored 2 from set pieces last year I believe against them

I remember Mignolet making a fantastic save before we countered and scored our first.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2019, 10:12:09 pm »
Thought they fixed their defensive frailties in terms of goal conceded in comparison to last year[I think we scored 2 from set pieces last year I believe against them

I remember Mignolet making a fantastic save before we countered and scored our first.
They have conceded 29 goals which is on par with newcastle(tied for 8th best in the league). Understat has them at Xga of 32.24(12th best D in the league)

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2019, 10:15:04 pm »

he did - saw the highlights today - it was a kick save from a Murray header - and then boom - 15 seconds later Firmino finds the back of the net. Heck of a goal.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2019, 10:47:19 pm »
Hard to see City getting anything other than full points from their next 3 games.

I see no reason why we shouldn't also. I know City slipped up against Leicester and Palace, but there is no reason we shouldn't be beating them at home with our current Anfield record. They also have two cup games to play in that time.

Offline Perseus

• Anny Roader
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2019, 10:55:01 pm »

Set piece fraility at both ends remedied from last season. This has prevented the also rans from scoring. Stats don't really count against the top 6. Brighton have been more error prone from open play this season (e.g. Salah at Anfield) and conceded from counter attacks more often (both goals 2-0 at the Etihad).

Did enough to beat Arsenal and should have won by two clear goals (1-1) and enough to draw against Spurs (1-2 disallowed goal, when Spurs scored first) but not enough to trouble Hazard-inspired Chelsea 1-2, at the Amex.

An 'orchestra' in attacking midfield really needed to break down a deep defence. But the gegenpressing forcing mistakes just as likely.

Brighton need to decide whether to persevere with the ponderously slow Murray in attack. Brighton don't lump it like Stoke and Burnley though. Not from open play.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:07:19 pm by Perseus »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2019, 11:24:40 pm »
We battered Brighton last season away (and home) but in that 5-1 we actually struggled to create a real chance until Can scored from a corner between 30-35 minutes and then we produced 2 brilliant counter attacking goals.

They are a decent side. They should have beaten Arsenal and they only just lost to Spurs and Chelsea at home by the odd goal. It wont be an easy game at all and I can see a single goal deciding it.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2019, 11:31:58 pm »

We need to think less about City and concentrate on ourselves. Do the business and we don't have to worry about what they do.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2019, 11:53:02 pm »
As usual these days, a lot more has to go right for Brighton for them to even get a draw let alone anything more than go wrong for us.  We're just better and by a lot.  I'm not even really concerned about the CB situation because offensively they are terrible.

We're so consistent now, we play the way we should and this is 3 points.  That's it.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2019, 12:00:23 am »
I think Mo wins this for us (the whole thing...)

That picture of the Man City players celebrating at full time and him in the foreground just looking....vengeful has just got me pretty confident.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2019, 12:45:57 am »
Before the City game I think it’s fair to say we were in the best form we’ve been in all season. I don’t see why we can’t pick up where we left off. I’m not worried about either of the last 2 results, City aren’t a bad side and the Wolves game was a very different line up.

The biggest issue is the number of injuries we have all of a sudden.
I still think the confidence and desire of the main first team players to get right back on it will see us through here though and it’s hopefully the start of another winning run.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2019, 12:56:35 am »
Looks like there is a possibility that Henderson may not be ready for this match due to his calf injury. Will depend whether or not he can complete training tomorrow. Then surely we go with Wijnaldum Keita and Milner in mifdield, or a double pivot of Wijnaldum and Keita, with Firmino,Shaqiri,Mane and Salah as the ''front'' four

But a double pivot of just Wijnaldum and Milner would be the wrong way to go imo
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 01:55:54 am by deFacto »

Online Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2019, 01:52:35 am »

Agreed. On paper the Wolves games looks hard for them especially since Wolves have been great against the top sides but I actually think City will beat them easily. But we can’t control any of their results. We can, however, control ours. A win here and 3 of the next 4 are at home. I fancy us to always win any game at home so if we can get a win here it will really help our cause. Remember the more we win the smaller the margin becomes for them to catch us up.

If we play like we’ve done all season we should win here, but it won’t be easy. Then again no game in the PL is easy.
YWNA

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2019, 02:02:05 am »
It’s not so long ago when City were going to get maximum points from Palace and Leicester. How did that turn out?

People never learn.

Stop worrying about what City does folks

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: January 11, 2019, 02:32:46 am »
Looks like there is a possibility that Henderson may not be ready for this match due to his calf injury. Will depend whether or not he can complete training tomorrow. Then surely we go with Wijnaldum Keita and Milner in mifdield, or a double pivot of Wijnaldum and Keita, with Firmino,Shaqiri,Mane and Salah as the ''front'' four

But a double pivot of just Wijnaldum and Milner would be the wrong way to go imo

Wijnaldum, Milner, and Keita is the midfield we started the season with. Would be extremely confident if that was our lineup. Especially with Fabinho and Virgil behind them to also distribute the ball quickly to our front three.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Online Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #180 on: January 11, 2019, 02:50:34 am »

If Hendo is out then Keita most likely comes in as Fabinho will be playing CB again. Unless we go with Shaqiri and the front 3 and just Gini and Milner in midfield. I can’t see the latter though.
YWNA

Offline RedTriumph

• Anny Roader
  • Every man a king...
« Reply #181 on: January 11, 2019, 03:39:35 am »
We are in the driving seat and I think Klopp is the sort of guy that loves this sort of challenge and the way he has shaped up the squad and his voice in their ears goes a lot further than anybody else's so I'm hoping that reflects on what we see on Saturday
Klopp's man-management means the team regularly runs out with absolute focus on the one game. As supporters we look at the big picture and speculate and wish and shit ourselves. I have complete faith in the boss.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: January 11, 2019, 08:11:37 am »
So are we

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2019, 08:27:12 am »
Forget about city......guardy is pushing his team to give 110% in cups against inferior opposition because he just wants to prove some points to the press. It is like "blowing his load" too soon.

Man city are again gonna breakdown soon as they can't keep this up.

We should just concentrate on ourselves. In a way...losing our unbeaten start should make us stronger in the run up to May 2019 because that weight is off our shoulders and we can just focus on playing football.

Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2019, 08:32:49 am »
Forget about city......guardy is pushing his team to give 110% in cups against inferior opposition because he just wants to prove some points to the press. It is like "blowing his load" too soon.

Man city are again gonna breakdown soon as they can't keep this up.

We should just concentrate on ourselves. In a way...losing our unbeaten start should make us stronger in the run up to May 2019 because that weight is off our shoulders and we can just focus on playing football.

Keep seeing people say things like this but how many of that team that started against Burton are actually in their first choice xi?

Their 'second xi' is a lot better than ours and so it should be with all the money they have sent (and not recouped) over the past few years.

All we can do is go out to win every game and im confident a new string of consecutive wins starts against Brighton. 3-0 to the reds.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2019, 08:49:16 am »
My thoughts on this upcoming match...

Offline timmyonions

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
    • timmyonions@gmail.com
« Reply #186 on: January 11, 2019, 09:22:32 am »
If the situation requires Fabinho at centre back,that's not a problem alongside VVD.He is obviously most effective in midfield but needs must I suppose.A three of Hen do,Gini and Shaqiri should be enough to keep the Brighton midfield pinned in their own half.
This won't be the gimme three points some see it as.These are a decent well organised side who can make it difficult.We need to be patient and take our opportunities when they come around.
I'd be over the moon to come away with any sort of victory here.
Up the Reds.
That right peg hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes al gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a 20yr old StevenGerrard and your young self cheering him on through the prism. His big smile fades in an the net is shivering and J.Hart's trying not to look grateful for the privilege of being that close to greatness

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #187 on: January 11, 2019, 09:37:08 am »
Would be fantastic to pick up the 3 points after the defeat at City.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: January 11, 2019, 09:50:06 am »
We need to think less about City and concentrate on ourselves. Do the business and we don't have to worry about what they do.

Precisely. Fuck them. Just look after ourselves.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #189 on: January 11, 2019, 10:32:45 am »
Yes forget about city and spurs, if we get more points than them in the remaining games then we're guaranteed to come out top.  It's in our own hands and we're not reliant on them dropping points unless we do.  It's important that we get 3 points tomorrow after 2 defeats on the bounce.  It would be nice to get a big win to send out a statement to the others saying our blip is over.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #190 on: January 11, 2019, 10:39:18 am »

Personally I'd go with Milner, Keita and Wijnaldum if Henderson isn't fit.

At this moment I'd be uncomfortable with either Wijnaldum/Milner or Wijnaldum/Keita as a double pivot.

Think we need to sacrifice Shaqiri and go with a 3 man midfield with Wijanldum as the No.6 and the other 2 as No.8's.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #191 on: January 11, 2019, 10:59:50 am »
Any press conference links?

EDIT: Found it myself! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L6cd4ET--k

Offline mike777

• Anny Roader
« Reply #192 on: January 11, 2019, 10:59:59 am »
Yes forget about city and spurs, if we get more points than them in the remaining games then we're guaranteed to come out top.  It's in our own hands and we're not reliant on them dropping points unless we do.  It's important that we get 3 points tomorrow after 2 defeats on the bounce.  It would be nice to get a big win to send out a statement to the others saying our blip is over.

Yep, we have to win tomorrow.
It's not a gimme with Brighton's home form by any means but I don't actually think even though it's at the Etihad Wolves is a gimme for Manchester City either.  Big weekend this.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: January 11, 2019, 11:05:16 am »
Biggest game of the season - a new biggest game.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #194 on: January 11, 2019, 11:07:08 am »
Personally I'd go with Milner, Keita and Wijnaldum if Henderson isn't fit.

At this moment I'd be uncomfortable with either Wijnaldum/Milner or Wijnaldum/Keita as a double pivot.

Think we need to sacrifice Shaqiri and go with a 3 man midfield with Wijanldum as the No.6 and the other 2 as No.8's.

Wijnaldum / Keita should be a totally natural very high level double pivot
Naby's played a large part of his career as part of a 2

Milner on the other hand should never be part of a midfield 2

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2019, 11:07:29 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4L6cd4ET--k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4L6cd4ET--k</a>

Klopp: Matip trained yesterday with team, Hendo due to train later today, Lallana and Lovren out for Brighton.
Klopp: Lovren might be ready after the Crystal Palace game.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 11:15:09 am by The Final Third »

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2019, 11:13:03 am »
I'm sure Brighton will 'give it a go', it's an away game in the premier league, most teams regardless of their position are up for it until you put a couple past them. The important thing is not to let the home team get too comfortable.
We played the game last season with a back three consisting of Lovren and two midfielders with Mignolet in goal, Mane didn't even play. We'll be alright. We just need to kick on and open up a 7 point lead again tomorrow.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2019, 11:19:52 am »
Who cares
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Damian V

• Anny Roader
« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2019, 11:20:46 am »
Reckon we'll smash these to be honest

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2019, 11:34:54 am »
Cant wait now, all this drama about lostgames, new injuries, illness, no CB's  . . . . .

When the going gets tough, the tough get going . . . . .  and all that!

Glad for the super strength up front, sure to keep the goal score ticking.

1-3 final result.
Doubters to Believers