Poll

do you want a new stadium

yes
12 (48%)
no
13 (52%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: I know this belongs in the new stadium debate BUT  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
I know this belongs in the new stadium debate BUT
« on: August 20, 2002, 08:01:35 pm »
simple.

I am totally 100% against this shite Idea. As far as Im concerned, Mr Parry is out to satisfy the good old glory hunters. He doesnt want to expand anfield cos he would loose revenue in the process. you cant tell me that it cant be expanded more than 55,000 capacity, people can be bought off, shops, houses and pubs can be relocated. Roads can be re-routed.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
Re:I know this belongs in the new stadium debate BUT
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2002, 08:31:53 pm »
Why is he out to satisfy the glory hunters. I am on the season ticket waiting list, I go to every home and majority of away games, I have supported LFC since I was born, and I want LFC to play in a modern arena with the capacity our fan base requires. Does that make me a glory hunter?

An expansion of Anfield will not clear the ever-growing season ticket list, and will make Anfield un-expandable if we require futher modification in the future. Not only would we lose revenue whilst the Main Stand was pulled down and re-developed, we would also lose 10,000 capacity for one if not two seasons. That would make it virtually impossible to get tickets for games for people without an ST, and would probably anger Main Stand residents who would have to move seats whilst the work was undertaken.

And whilst we are slagging RP off, lets look at our current financial situation compared with the likes of Leeds and Chelsea. Does he not deserve any credit for steering the club in the correct direction when it comes to finance? We could have just as easy thrown money we didnt have at our team problem when GH took over and ended up like Leeds, £80m in debt with nothing in the throphy cabinet for years.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2002, 08:34:43 pm »
good point, about our financial situation, but RP himself admitted that the ST waiting list may not go down as a result of the new stadium.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2002, 08:36:10 pm »
what I meant about the glory hunters bit is that we could easily fill 55,000 for man utd and arsenal, but for southampton charlton etc... those people cant be fucked.

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2002, 08:42:40 pm »
You might be right Matt, but you can't estimate what our crowds would be like if the floating punter knew he'd (or she'd, sisters) get in on the night.  There might be a load of people who know they've got no chance of getting in without a ticket and so don't bother now, who'd happily pop along 5 or 6 times a year if they could pay on the gate.  As it stands re-developement would cost an arm and a leg and leave us maxed out.  I think I'm right in saying the new stadium could, if needed, have it's capacity increased.  I think we'd get upwards of 55,000 most weekend games, and for the bigger champions league games.  As it is now, I can only get tickets for the odd league game and CL matches - and it's not enough.

And don't knock those occasional fans (glory-hunters) - how much of Man U's 60 odd thousand are just that.  They all pay into the pot.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2002, 08:45:39 pm by Life »
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline Adam

• Ballboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • A Liverbird Upon My Chest
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2002, 09:19:43 pm »
Every game we play, we are losing out on 20,000 ticket sales against a man utd home game. Based on £25 quid a ticket, thats about £500,000 everygame, which is about £9.5 million a season. Anfield I think has been redevloped as much as it can be.
She Loves You Yeh Yeh Yeh

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2002, 09:22:19 pm »
I checked 'no' but it really needs an "undecided" option, as that is what I am: undecided.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2002, 09:26:00 pm »
okok

CLTAdam has just talked me round on MSN

oh fucking hell

im so confused about this issue

I just dont know what to think anymore

on the one hand, there are many things about Anfield that are crap, legroom in places, main stand. It would be nice to have a fresh start on a new peice of turf.
on the other hand Anfield is Anfield innit. The design for the new stadium is absolute SHITE! so i dont know.

What ever will be will be I guess.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2002, 07:40:55 am »
There are times when we have to lay our emotional ties to rest and get on with the reality.  

Perhaps it's easier for me, cos I'm an overseas fan who do not have the good fortune to attend games at Anfield.  However, after reading so many posts and reports, it seems to me a new stadium is the best way forward for LFC.   I'm encouraged to see the management has given much respect and sensitivity on the whole issue that our roots will not be forgotten.  More important, our fans, many of whom speak at this forum on a regular basis, will not let it be forgotten.  It has been pointed out before it's the Kopites that make the Kop.  It's time to take the brave decision and get on to the future.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2002, 10:13:49 am »
does anyone know the address if you want to write to rick parry?
dont worry, Im not gonna be offensive towards him

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2002, 10:17:37 am »
Rick Parry
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
Merseyside
L4 OTH

...should do it.  Put "Personal" in the top left hand corner and it's got a better chance of going straight to him - although you should realise that it'll probably get intercepted by a secretary and either binned or passed to customer services type people.  I sent one to Ged about 4 weeks ago and I've heard nothing since.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2002, 10:30:52 am »
cheers, but u sure hes based there and not at melwood?

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2002, 10:39:07 am »
No.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2002, 10:41:45 am »
k, cheers