Author Topic: Apple iOS Apps Thread (iPad / iPhone / iPod)  (Read 438957 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Apple iOS Apps Thread (iPad / iPhone / iPod)
« Reply #4560 on: April 17, 2021, 10:30:02 am »
Awsome start with the Mac Mini

To be fair - they have gone for a normal plug and a HDMI adapter plus some other ports - so already better than a Macbook Pro

The downside? It's stuck - can't detect any bluetooth devices, so having to dig around to try and find wired shit to plug in

Apple. It just works. (TM)

What can't it find?

I've had Mac Mini's for about 10 years now and can't say I've experienced any bluetooth issues.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4561 on: April 17, 2021, 10:40:45 am »
What can't it find?

I've had Mac Mini's for about 10 years now and can't say I've experienced any bluetooth issues.

On first boot up, it's searching for bluetooth devices (Specifically a mouse and keyboard)

I didn't have them auto searching before I turned it on the first time, so I had to switch it off. But it wouldn't switch off, so I had to hold the power down for 5 seconds to power it down.

I started them both searching (Logitech keyboard and mouse) and it wouldn't detect them. So I tried an older Logitech Keyboard and mouse. No luck.

So I tried a Jelly comb keyboard/mouse - again no luck.

So I had to find a wired mouse and keyboard I'd had lying around and plugged them into USB. That worked.

Once I'd done setup then I could then add my keyboard/mouse through bluetooth, but installing Big Sur update now, so not sure yet if they will be available after a reboot)
I love you all. Even Mancs x

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4562 on: April 17, 2021, 10:44:08 am »
Looks like it's stuck on the Big Sur update again, but on the Mac Pro I got around this by rebooting in safe mode and doing an install from there

It's stuck on "About 10 minutes remaining" - so this seems like it's a pretty universal problem with this.

None of this is annoying me particularly now, just accept that it's not perfect and has a few issues - but big difference is that it's not stopping me getting my work done on a minute-by-minute basis. I now have the time and leisure to work out its weirdness. You never know, I might even like it. I'm a big fan of tech, so new stuff is always fun to play with - if it's not affecting your life :)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4563 on: April 17, 2021, 10:47:37 am »
EDIT: To be fair, although it got stuck for a while, it managed an update.

Yay.

And it did detect the mouse/keyboard on reboot - which was a bit of a worry, some people online seemed to have an issue with that - and that what happens on the MacBook Pro - from Bootcamp, it detects the bluetooth and mouse, but from MacOS - nothing, so I have to logon using the laptop keyboard then it's OK

The Mini seems much better so far than the Pro - better connectivity, better built-in interfaces (Two usb-c/Thunderbolt, two USB 3.0, Ethernet port, audio I/O, HDMI, better plug, better detection (Once installed and running) of devices.

I can take my time and have a play around with it now. What good free shit is available for this (not pirated crap!)

Also.. also.. it's bluetooth is superior to the Macbook Pro. With that, I have a super-dupe K780 keyboard and it refused to identify it properly. When I did the 'test key' (to the right of shift) - it said "You've pressed your Apple keyboard :D )

This one detected it, then gave me the option to set it up as a standard 101 key ANSI keyboard. So I can at last use my Numeric keyboard!!!!!  This was impossible to do on the Macbook Pro - despite trying different stuff for several hours, it just wasn't having it and this did it straight away.

From what I've seen so far, if they'd given me a Mac Mini from the start then I'd have been a lot happier.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 11:22:59 am by Camping in a pub in Allerton »

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4564 on: April 24, 2021, 01:45:35 am »
Ordered the 2020 iPad Pro 11 inch. Can’t see it getting any cheaper when you compare the price to the air but that’s just a guess. Should be a good upgrade over my 2018 9.7 base iPad and don’t think I would notice the difference between the 2020 pro and the 2021 pro in how I will use it no matter how much faster it is.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4565 on: April 27, 2021, 10:37:37 pm »
Has anyone ordered Airtags ?  Im picking up four on Friday after I actually got my head around how they work.  Obviously they aren't going to stop arseholes stealing your shit, but sound ideal if you've left your keys somewhere.  I'm going to attach them to house/car keys and my backpack I use if I have to work away from home.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 10:39:57 pm by Hedley Lamarr »

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #4566 on: July 19, 2021, 11:04:01 am »
Are there any apps to watch the latest TV/films? Something similar to those Fire TV apps.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4567 on: August 3, 2021, 10:27:28 am »
Is it tough to get a new iPhone at launch or is availability pretty ok? I really want to get the iPhone 12 but it makes sense to wait for the 13, albeit I dont want to wait until Christmas!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4568 on: August 3, 2021, 10:28:27 am »
Is it tough to get a new iPhone at launch or is availability pretty ok? I really want to get the iPhone 12 but it makes sense to wait for the 13, albeit I dont want to wait until Christmas!

I’ve always been able to upgrade without much of an issue. Is a case of making sure you know when they go on sale and picking one up right away.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4569 on: August 3, 2021, 10:29:36 am »
There might be an issue this year..

Chip shortages could cause a supply issue. …..  but it is supposed to be released earlier than last year.  Then again, apple make their own chips, so they might not have the same on trains as other companies?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4570 on: August 3, 2021, 10:36:52 am »
I thought Samsung and TSMC made Apple’s chips?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4571 on: August 3, 2021, 10:37:45 am »
Today, Twitter removes the fleets function….

How sad…
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4572 on: August 3, 2021, 11:01:48 am »

I got a 12 on Saturday, couldn't be arsed waiting as I had an XR previously.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4573 on: August 3, 2021, 11:19:54 am »
I got a 12 on Saturday, couldn't be arsed waiting as I had an XR previously.

Yeh me too but as its only 5 or 6 weeks away I figure its best to at least wait as at worst i could get the 12 for less.

Was told to wait by my tech loving brother who said it will have a higher refresh rate, whatever that means.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4574 on: August 3, 2021, 02:17:45 pm »
Yeh me too but as its only 5 or 6 weeks away I figure its best to at least wait as at worst i could get the 12 for less.

Was told to wait by my tech loving brother who said it will have a higher refresh rate, whatever that means.

They are just rumours at the moment but sounds like a fairly solid one. It's an improved screen but I'm not sure 120Hz makes much difference unless you're gaming in a way you can't do on a phone.

I'd expect an announcement maybe mid-september and deliveries end of September, last year's delay was an outlier due to cover and I wouldn't expect the same production issues this time.

I've never had a problem getting hold of a phone on release day when I've tried pre-ordering and a couple of times on previous release I've been able to walk into a shop and buy one within a week when I'd not preordered.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4575 on: August 13, 2021, 12:12:11 pm »
Is anyone running the IOS 15 beta ?  I’m using it on my old XR, very smooth, notifications are better, there’s an odd little proxy like thing while using Safari (Safari is very different, a floating address bar at the bottom).

Overall I’m quite impressed, more evolution than revolution.  All my banking apps work which isn’t normally the case with betas.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #4576 on: August 13, 2021, 04:24:23 pm »
Lucky you with the banking - my HSBC app doesn’t work on the beta. Luckily got it on my iPad so no real harm.

I also don’t like how the safari address bar is at the bottom of the page - is there a way to change that ?

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4577 on: August 13, 2021, 05:07:55 pm »
The address bar thing does take some getting used to, don’t think there’s anyway to change it. As for banking, have you checked to see if there’s any app updates.  My Virgin Money app didn’t work at first, checked for an update, installed it, then it worked.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #4578 on: August 13, 2021, 06:58:16 pm »
Yeah there’s no update yet and HSBC were being pretty snippy with people telling them it doesn’t work on twitter

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #4579 on: September 10, 2021, 11:42:34 am »
Seriously thinking of trying to get the new iphone when it comes out.

Am interested to see the web launch next week.

Looks like most of the new features have been leaked. No serious changes but just a better phone with bigger memory than what I have.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4580 on: September 14, 2021, 07:37:58 pm »
The new iPad mini is pretty appealing to me. The iPhone 13 is pretty boring hardware wise. But the cinematic mode looks promising.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #4581 on: September 15, 2021, 02:33:31 pm »
Looking forward to update from an 11pro to a 13.  I love the square style design the 12 has now so that is a nice little bonus!

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #4582 on: September 17, 2021, 12:05:16 pm »
Looking forward to update from an 11pro to a 13.  I love the square style design the 12 has now so that is a nice little bonus!

XR to a 13 for me. I really want one with lots of memory as the regular sized one seems to get filled up quickly.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4583 on: September 17, 2021, 05:48:07 pm »
I’m on a 12 pro and it’s contract will be up next year.

Will I get the the 14?  I doubt it. They are so well built that they are generally flawless after two years.  And they just don’t slow down….
W

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #4584 on: September 17, 2021, 08:21:20 pm »
I’m on a 12 pro and it’s contract will be up next year.

Will I get the the 14?  I doubt it. They are so well built that they are generally flawless after two years.  And they just don’t slow down….

I was really impressed with the XR after i had the 7 or some such. The 7 had become absolute shit but I think from at least X onwards they have been really good phones. Good batteries, good screens, nice and reliable etc. I still have a 12" ipad that I bought years ago as well so have been really happy with Apple products.

I managed to get my XR for free from US cellular in the states. Since i'm switching back to Verizon they gave $1,000 against a new Iphone. Thats a fucking ridiculous amount of money for something I got for free. Spent a few hundred dollars and got a stupidly large memory. I can probably now do 90 minute feature films on my phone. Suppose to arrive in a couple of weeks. Pretty excited about it.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4585 on: September 18, 2021, 11:35:45 am »
I have the 12 Pro, the 13's updates are incremental, not enough to make me bite the bullet.  I have an iPad air 4, so their tablet offerings mean little to me, that said the base iPad at £329 is something of a steal if you don't already have an iPad, they've bumped the base storage up from a paltry 32gb to a 64gb (still on the low side with no MicroSD option).  Where they have got my attention is the Series 7 watch.  I'm currently wearing a series 3 which has been a trooper but its showing its age now.  I'll be pre-ordering that as soon as possible.

As for iOS15, I've been running it since beta 3 on my old XR, not drastically different but still a step in the right direction.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #4586 on: September 20, 2021, 12:12:53 pm »
Anyone here moved from android to iOS/other way round and managed to transfer your whatsapp messages?

The only reliable things I can find online are paid softwares. Was wondering if anyone knew a workaround
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #4587 on: September 20, 2021, 11:00:42 pm »
Not a fan of the web address bar being at the bottom of the page rather than the top on Ios15.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4588 on: September 21, 2021, 06:57:16 am »
Not a fan of the web address bar being at the bottom of the page rather than the top on Ios15.
Are you on beta?  It’s at the top.

Very difficult to tell where one tab starts and another needs though and difficult to close them individually.  The tab ribbon looks weird and is difficult to follow
W

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4589 on: September 21, 2021, 07:39:52 am »
Are you on beta?  It’s at the top.

Very difficult to tell where one tab starts and another needs though and difficult to close them individually.  The tab ribbon looks weird and is difficult to follow

On iPhones the address bar is at the bottom by default. iPads it at the top.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4590 on: September 21, 2021, 07:58:36 am »
On iPhones the address bar is at the bottom by default. iPads it at the top.
Just noticed! 

Why?  It’s weird. Safari is weird now
W

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4591 on: September 21, 2021, 08:10:48 am »
There’s a lot of aesthetically weird stuff going on, especially on iPad.  The today view, or whatever they call it, takes up its own home page despite only using perhaps 25% of it, widgets often go blank when you add another and like you mentioned, while its not as bad as Safari on ios, the address bar is too cluttered now on ipad.  There’s some good stuff baked in but Im going back to 14.8 on ipados until theres a few more updates.

Haven’t had any problems on my phone, although Im not particularly giddy with the address bar on iphone either, Im still not used to it despite running the last five betas on an old phone.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #4592 on: September 21, 2021, 12:26:31 pm »
Anyone here moved from android to iOS/other way round and managed to transfer your whatsapp messages?

The only reliable things I can find online are paid softwares. Was wondering if anyone knew a workaround

Can't you just backup whatsapp anyway and then restore when you download the app on a new device?  I backup my phone to icloud e.t.c but whatsapp has it's own backup settings.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4593 on: September 21, 2021, 01:12:11 pm »
Being able to copy text from a photo is exceptionally useful.
W

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #4594 on: September 21, 2021, 01:56:08 pm »
Can't you just backup whatsapp anyway and then restore when you download the app on a new device?  I backup my phone to icloud e.t.c but whatsapp has it's own backup settings.

Nah that only works if you move from one android to another or upgrade your iPhone. Doesn't work cross platform
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #4595 on: September 22, 2021, 08:40:44 am »
Nah that only works if you move from one android to another or upgrade your iPhone. Doesn't work cross platform

I’ve just been reading about it, how annoying. My mrs is in the same boat Friday transferring to an iPhone. Wasn’t happy when I told her she’ll lose 2-3 years of chats.

Seems paid software is the only way to go which is horrible.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #4596 on: September 22, 2021, 09:47:00 am »
Just noticed! 

Why?  It’s weird. Safari is weird now

Its weird, but I think I like it. Clears the space at the top of the screen, where your eye goes to when scrolling and makes single hand use much easier.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4597 on: September 22, 2021, 11:58:17 am »
I reckon it's one of those things which is annoying at first, because it's a massive change from what you're used to, but then after a few weeks of getting used to it you wonder why it wasn't like that before.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #4598 on: September 22, 2021, 01:20:52 pm »
Sums up Apple pretty well there haha.  Don't know you needed/wanted it until you try it, and then wonder why it wasn't always like it.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4599 on: September 22, 2021, 01:21:13 pm »
I reckon it's one of those things which is annoying at first, because it's a massive change from what you're used to, but then after a few weeks of getting used to it you wonder why it wasn't like that before.

Ive been using ios15 for months, Im not used to it, Im not sure I will be, its simple enough to move the address bar back to the top though, Ive moved it on my 12 pro, on the XR I use as a beta device its still at the bottom.