Author Topic: Apple iOS Apps Thread (iPad / iPhone / iPod)  (Read 438955 times)

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Apple iOS Apps Thread (iPad / iPhone / iPod)
« Reply #4480 on: September 27, 2020, 10:39:09 am »
Can anyone recommend a decent iPhone charger? I’ve bought a few types from amazon and they always seem to stop working after a few weeks. So frustrating!

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #4481 on: September 27, 2020, 10:51:40 am »
Can anyone recommend a decent iPhone charger? I’ve bought a few types from amazon and they always seem to stop working after a few weeks. So frustrating!
I’ve got a Coolreall 20000 mah power bank I’ve had for four years, can charge up to 3 separate devices from usb inputs. Still works well. Not sure if it’s still available but if not there’s probably an upgraded version or something.
It does seem you sometimes need to get lucky with these things but not had any issues with mine in the 4 years I’ve had it. Only thing I would say is it’s a little bulky so although it will fit in a big jacket or coat pocket it not something that would fit easily in a trouser pocket.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #4482 on: September 27, 2020, 12:34:36 pm »

is it the charger or do you have loads of dust in your charging port on the phone?

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4483 on: September 27, 2020, 12:37:13 pm »
I bought a decent Anker power brick and braided cable,  both are still going and I bought them nearly a year ago. Got both from Amazon.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #4484 on: October 1, 2020, 06:07:39 pm »
I use Cinema HD on my Fire stick for the latest films/TV.  Is there anything similar that works on an iPad?  PM me your recommendations please. Thanks.

Offline Amatt

• Amoo, Amass.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4485 on: October 3, 2020, 12:11:38 pm »
Just got the lad an Iphone 6 as he starts senior school in Sept. We're on Android ourselves - it there an app I can install on the wifes Honor 10 so she can locate his iphone (Mum wants to know where he is etc) or can it only be done via Apple?

Thanks.

We use Life 360 on ours. Cracking little app.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4486 on: October 3, 2020, 04:41:47 pm »
Can anyone explain to me what in the fucking hell is that steaming pile of unmovable shit called ‘App Library’ that Apple introduced in iOS 14’? Some random mess of folders that duplicates all apps and sorts them by some insane, flawed and blind logic. It can’t be edited, removed only ignored unless you swipe too far. Who is this for? What problem does this solve?

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4487 on: October 3, 2020, 05:38:57 pm »
Can anyone explain to me what in the fucking hell is that steaming pile of unmovable shit called ‘App Library’ that Apple introduced in iOS 14’? Some random mess of folders that duplicates all apps and sorts them by some insane, flawed and blind logic. It can’t be edited, removed only ignored unless you swipe too far. Who is this for? What problem does this solve?
They attempted to copy something android had a decade ago, but at the same time make it ridiculously locked down. I mean, you can't even edit it.  I always have an iPhone and an android handset,  ios14 is so backwards its not funny.

Some will defend it though.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4488 on: October 3, 2020, 05:46:45 pm »
I haven’t used an Android phone in my life, so have no reference for what that abomination is trying to be. But looking from my perspective as a user that keeps everything organised in one screen, no bullshit apps I never use - this thing is like punishing me with mandatory clutter. Even if I had 100 apps - how would that solve my problem in any way that I couldn’t already do myself by making folders?

It’s terribly disappointing just how lazy and unintetesting Apple design is these days. It used to be user first, now it’s just rammimg shit down your throat without even making it optional.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #4489 on: October 7, 2020, 07:28:05 pm »
Just got a new iPhone SE. I had a new iPhone in 2012 and since then I've genuinely only had used handsets.

Looking for some recommendations now in terms of protecting it. I'd like a slim and unfussy case if anyone knows of a good one? Also what's the deal with protecting the screen, is it best to go somewhere and get that protective glass put on it?
It’s terribly disappointing just how lazy and unintetesting Apple design is these days. It used to be user first, now it’s just rammimg shit down your throat without even making it optional.
I'm like you, I only have essential apps and like things nice and minimal. Parts of this iOS almost force you into a cluttered phone. I think I will grow to love the widget feature though.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4490 on: October 7, 2020, 07:38:06 pm »
Be careful with the screen protector as most advertise as SE/8/7 compatible when the SE's screen is ever so slightly curved,  you end up getting a halo effect.  You need one specially designed for the SE.  I bought mine from Amazon, a company called Omoton, they fit perfectly and come with a little framing tool to help application. I wouldn't go to a shop as most are unaware of the sight difference.

As for the case,  I use a Spigen rugged Armor, which despite the name is quite sleek.  I also have a Spigen Tough Armor which is more protective but bulkier and a Ringke Fusion X which is probably the most stylish but it left the faintest scratch on the back.  All three were Ł14 or under.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #4491 on: October 7, 2020, 07:47:34 pm »
Be careful with the screen protector as most advertise as SE/8/7 compatible when the SE's screen is ever so slightly curved,  you end up getting a halo effect.  You need one specially designed for the SE.  I bought mine from Amazon, a company called Omoton, they fit perfectly and come with a little framing tool to help application. I wouldn't go to a shop as most are unaware of the sight difference.

As for the case,  I use a Spigen rugged Armor, which despite the name is quite sleek.  I also have a Spigen Tough Armor which is more protective but bulkier and a Ringke Fusion X which is probably the most stylish but it left the faintest scratch on the back.  All three were Ł14 or under.
Cheers.

Do you think a verified Apple outlet would be able to apply the SE protector? I guess I'll just ask beforehand to make sure they have one that fits specifically and if not buy my own.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4492 on: October 7, 2020, 07:51:53 pm »
Probably, I asked the Apple store if they could fit a protector to an ipad a few years back and they did it without batting an eyelid, might depend on how busy they are but I just walked in, no appointment or anything.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4493 on: October 13, 2020, 09:09:48 pm »
If I buy an iPhone direct from apple, can I just stick my O2 sim in it and it will work?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4494 on: October 13, 2020, 09:10:45 pm »
If I buy an iPhone direct from apple, can I just stick my O2 sim in it and it will work?

Yeah, it should accept all UK networks.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4495 on: October 13, 2020, 09:20:33 pm »
Yeah, it should accept all UK networks.
Marvellous.

iPhone 12 awaits me then..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4496 on: October 13, 2020, 11:02:21 pm »
Marvellous.

iPhone 12 awaits me then..

I still have the iPhone X so definitely getting the 12 Max Pro Giant Widescreen this time.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4497 on: October 14, 2020, 04:27:35 am »
Tempted by the 12 mini. I hate big phones, rarely in a situation where I need a big screen and given I carry it around in my pocket I prefer it being smaller. Kept my 6 simply because of the size, but even after a battery replacement it’s on its last legs unfortunately.

Could do with going and seeing just how big the 12 is in comparison though.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4498 on: October 14, 2020, 07:40:14 am »
I'm getting the 12 mini, 5.4 screen yet smaller than my current SE 20.  Also loving the thickish sides, reminds me of the 5s/SE days.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #4499 on: October 14, 2020, 04:43:12 pm »
I'm getting the 12 mini, 5.4 screen yet smaller than my current SE 20.  Also loving the thickish sides, reminds me of the 5s/SE days.
Yeah the square sides were great back then.

Loving the SE I’ve just got though and by the time I upgrade I’m sure they’ll be back to the curved design again.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4500 on: October 15, 2020, 12:24:17 pm »
I have an iPad 3rd generation (2012) and it cannot be updated to the latest version of ios so various apps have stopped working e.g. YouTube, ITV Player as they need updating but wont update due to the old version of ios, so stuck with the version I have, 9.3.5.

I seem to recall reading that Apple have deliberately slowed down older iPads/phones so you need to buy newer hardware, my iPad does seem to have slowed but could just be age.

Anyway I was thinking of jailbreaking it so I can update ios but it seems a bit of a chore and I am wondering - will this update speed it up ?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4501 on: October 15, 2020, 03:42:37 pm »
Every update I’ve done my phone or iPad has always appeared faster. However I’ve not updated to a version it doesn’t officially support so I can’t say for sure how that’ll work out for you though so not much help  ;D

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4502 on: October 16, 2020, 07:39:18 pm »
Has anybody got the HomePod? I’m looking on getting one and can see they are releasing a mini version.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4503 on: October 17, 2020, 06:51:00 am »
12 pro ordered...

Buying direct form apple so it’s cheaper than my old XS per month. Weird.
W

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #4504 on: October 17, 2020, 04:02:26 pm »
The 12 seems very underwhelming doesn't it? I have the X, and i really don't see the point in upgrading

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4505 on: October 17, 2020, 04:06:50 pm »
The 12 seems very underwhelming doesn't it? I have the X, and i really don't see the point in upgrading
5g
Better screen
Better camera
Much better chip (A14 vs A11)
Ceramic Shield front ( 4x better drop performance)
Bigger battery
Better water resistance.

The 12 is far superior.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4506 on: October 17, 2020, 11:31:05 pm »
12 pro ordered...

Buying direct form apple so it’s cheaper than my old XS per month. Weird.

How much are you paying?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4507 on: October 18, 2020, 09:04:25 am »
How much are you paying?
45 a month I think... my xs was over 50 with O2.  Data staying with o2
W

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4508 on: October 18, 2020, 11:11:15 am »

45 a month for 1 year?

Can you choose who to have your data with if you buy via Apple?

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #4509 on: October 18, 2020, 11:19:21 am »
45 a month for 1 year?

If you buy direct from Apple it’s SIM free so you still need a sim only deal from one of the networks
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4510 on: October 18, 2020, 11:21:25 am »
45 a month for 1 year?

2 years... apparently you can chose your data supplier (if not I’m banking people on here!)
W

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4511 on: October 18, 2020, 08:10:43 pm »
If you buy direct from Apple it’s SIM free so you still need a sim only deal from one of the networks

Sound. Think I might do that.

Not interested in 2 year deal.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4512 on: October 18, 2020, 08:12:03 pm »
2 years... apparently you can chose your data supplier (if not I’m banking people on here!)

2 years? What's you plan? To sell it next year when the 13 comes out?

Can you just buy it over 1 year?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4513 on: October 18, 2020, 08:49:30 pm »
2 years? What's you plan? To sell it next year when the 13 comes out?

Can you just buy it over 1 year?
Keep it two years.

They never slow down.  Don’t know if you can do a year to be honest.
W

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4514 on: October 19, 2020, 06:47:44 pm »

I've done the same today, trading in my X as well cos be arsed selling it. I was gonna get it through Sky mobile but noticed they'd tacked on Ł125 and then they're claiming it's 'interest free', it also drags on for 36 months.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4515 on: October 19, 2020, 06:53:40 pm »
Pacific blue I’ve gone for...

Such a nice colour...  and yes, I’m a total Apple whore.... but I have an S8 for work and it’s a piece of shit.  Android is terrible (on that anyway).
W

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4516 on: October 19, 2020, 09:08:08 pm »
Graphite for me, everything else I have is space grey ffs 😅

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4517 on: October 26, 2020, 08:24:49 pm »
Can you remove/disable the emergency services call thing that pops up when switching off the Iphone 11? I've managed to ring 999 twice now, the first time I was pissed and wondered where the voice asking which service I wanted was coming from. Second time I managed to catch it on the countdown.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4518 on: October 26, 2020, 08:58:08 pm »
Think it’s in the settings mate - under SOS or emergency call.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4519 on: October 26, 2020, 09:10:13 pm »
Think it’s in the settings mate - under SOS or emergency call.

Cheers, I'll have a look.

Bloody stupid thing to have on a phone, I've had a Google and it turns out all it has done is add thousands of false calls to the emergency services.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA