Author Topic: The NHL Thread  (Read 597709 times)

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The NHL Thread
« Reply #200 on: October 18, 2005, 07:47:02 pm »
How could I expect anyone from Toronto to look at things objectively?  ::) In fairness, if I still lived there, I'd be pinning all my hopes on the the Leafs too, because if they don't don't do well, Toronto's got nothing: shitty baseball team, shitty football team, lousy weather, ugly city located in ugly countryside on a sewer of a lake. Problem is, they're going to let you down, my friend. I'd stick to Liverpool if I were you.

"shitty football team"

- What's shitty about them? You must mean the league is shitty because they won the cup last year and they're doing well this year also.

- Don't take cheap shots at this city just because you're jealous you don't live here anymore. It's the greatest city in Canada and other people can't stand that.

- I am sticking to Liverpool and the Leafs equally by the way.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team of Messiers...
« Reply #201 on: October 19, 2005, 04:31:55 am »
How could I expect anyone from Toronto to look at things objectively?  ::) In fairness, if I still lived there, I'd be pinning all my hopes on the the Leafs too, because if they don't don't do well, Toronto's got nothing: shitty baseball team, shitty football team, lousy weather, ugly city located in ugly countryside on a sewer of a lake. Problem is, they're going to let you down, my friend. I'd stick to Liverpool if I were you.

Are you talking about Toronto or Montreal when you're talking about an ugly city located in ugly countryside on a sewer of a lake?

Most people who I've talked to think Toronto is gorgeous.  I've never been there personally, but I have to take their accounts seriously.

I HAVE been to Montreal, and although it has its beautiful parts, when you go towards the city center all you see is "For Sale" and "For Rent" signs (in both languages).  If you're trying to start a small business or rent out a good apartment to live in the heart of Montreal, you will struggle mightily.  That city is flat-out impoverished in places.

Montreal does have a saving grace though which a lot of people don't know about:  Their delis make AMAZING sandwiches...that's the best food in Montreal for sure.
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

ManU fans--your 1999 European Cup is safe and sound in our museum

Mark Messier--The Captain, The Legend, The Messiah...11 forever

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #202 on: October 19, 2005, 04:26:35 pm »
Are you talking about Toronto or Montreal when you're talking about an ugly city located in ugly countryside on a sewer of a lake?

Most people who I've talked to think Toronto is gorgeous.  I've never been there personally, but I have to take their accounts seriously.

I HAVE been to Montreal, and although it has its beautiful parts, when you go towards the city center all you see is "For Sale" and "For Rent" signs (in both languages).  If you're trying to start a small business or rent out a good apartment to live in the heart of Montreal, you will struggle mightily.  That city is flat-out impoverished in places.

Montreal does have a saving grace though which a lot of people don't know about:  Their delis make AMAZING sandwiches...that's the best food in Montreal for sure.

Holy shit, lad, Toronto gorgeous??!!! These people that you talk to, are they just out of the pen? Got to be from Buffalo or the no-go part of Pittsburgh.

Toronto's cleanish, relatively safe and well-run. It also used to have a thriving economy, although that's lately in question. After that, it's downhill.

Montreal is kind of the opposite. Dirty, a shambles (highways always seem to be under construction), economically challenged, a mafia stronghold. But its got a soul, all kinds of character and yes, some of the best restaurants you'll find. You're right about the delis.

Rushian's post on a visit to the Forum is dead-on. Montrealers are passionate about Les Habs and if you're born there you're automatically a fan, no matter where you live after that. When they play in any other city in Canada, half the crowd is in Habs' jerseys. Which also explains the "For Sale" signs you saw. It's biggest export is people.

Hope you caught last night's game: Canucks 6 Blackhawks 2, a shellacking. Cloutier let in his customary top-corner goal but with this year's rules one goal is never going to be enough. It's all run-and-gun, which team can outscore the other. Seeing what changes to the offside scenario (no red line, bigger zones) can do for a game, you have to wonder if it's time to re-thing football's (soccer's) offside.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: October 19, 2005, 06:32:58 pm »
It's all run-and-gun, which team can outscore the other. Seeing what changes to the offside scenario (no red line, bigger zones) can do for a game, you have to wonder if it's time to re-thing football's (soccer's) offside.

Whilst I like the fast pace and open play I do hope it settles down a bit.  There's nothing better than a tight game where the next goal could change the shape of the game.  One of the best games this season was the Montreal v Toronto game which the Leafs won 3-2.  I dunno, I guess I just don't want it to get like basketball (ok that's an exaggeration but you get my point) where the value of a goal is diminished.  Over the course of the season I am sure that the coaches will develop systems to shut the forwards down but I'm enjoying the goals going in at the moment.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: October 19, 2005, 08:03:59 pm »
Holy shit, lad, Toronto gorgeous??!!! These people that you talk to, are they just out of the pen? Got to be from Buffalo or the no-go part of Pittsburgh.

Toronto's cleanish, relatively safe and well-run. It also used to have a thriving economy, although that's lately in question. After that, it's downhill.

The city's economy is making an excellent comeback, after the SARS scare, which was blown out of proportion by the media. I don't know what parts of the city you've been in, but there ARE many areas of the city that fanastic and there's lots of great things to see and do in this city. If you're a tourist for example, you're going to see how great the city is. If you lived in here some shitty-ish part of the city, you'd have a different picture of it.

I, for example, lived in Leaside for 11 years which IS a gorgeous neighborhood and has some fantastic parks, restaurants etc. etc.

The danforth is another example of a fantastic part of the city, so many great restaurants and a thriving night-life. Another is the Toronto island(s). You can take the ferry across on your bike, ride around and see a beautiful view of the city. St.Clair and Yonge area is fantastic too, I can go on and on and on.

Bottom line: Toronto = worldclass

:P ;D

PS: Relatively safe is an understatement. The crime-rate here is lower than all of the other major Canadian cities, and it much much lower than all of the major cities in the USA.

Whilst I like the fast pace and open play I do hope it settles down a bit.  There's nothing better than a tight game where the next goal could change the shape of the game.  One of the best games this season was the Montreal v Toronto game which the Leafs won 3-2.  I dunno, I guess I just don't want it to get like basketball (ok that's an exaggeration but you get my point) where the value of a goal is diminished.  Over the course of the season I am sure that the coaches will develop systems to shut the forwards down but I'm enjoying the goals going in at the moment.

Spot on. I didn't get to see the Montreal vs. Toronto game unfortunately since I was at a Peterborough Petes game (legendary junior team).
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #205 on: October 19, 2005, 08:09:54 pm »
Right :P Crimerate is low everywhere but near my campus in Scarborough East (Morningside and Ellesmere area...ppl always get shot) or Jane and Finch area.  Then again, the shootings are concentrated in that area while machette gangs are concentrated around York Region in the clubs, internet cafes, karaoke bars, etc.  O.o and I live in Richmond Hill! 

Hehe, just scaring you guys...there's like 50 or so people killed a year so it isn't too bad comparing other world class cities like LA and New York that have more people killed/shot...
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: October 19, 2005, 08:30:35 pm »
Right :P Crimerate is low everywhere but near my campus in Scarborough East (Morningside and Ellesmere area...ppl always get shot) or Jane and Finch area.  Then again, the shootings are concentrated in that area while machette gangs are concentrated around York Region in the clubs, internet cafes, karaoke bars, etc.  O.o and I live in Richmond Hill! 

Hehe, just scaring you guys...there's like 50 or so people killed a year so it isn't too bad comparing other world class cities like LA and New York that have more people killed/shot...

The latest numbers are about 2.2 homicides/100,000 people/year which is quite good. NYC is about 11 and Washington DC is over 42 :o .

(I got these stats from a book called 'Fire and Ice: Canada, the US, and the myth of converging values' by Michael Henry Adams, which is a superb read comparing the USA and Canada)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 08:32:12 pm by theCanadian »

Offline Scarlet`

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
« Reply #207 on: October 19, 2005, 09:41:53 pm »
Right ;) and 90% of the homicides happen either in Scarborough East or Jane & Finch XD

Back to Hockey eh?  :P  No more talking bad about Toronto!  That's for Torontonians only ;)

LFC won, it's Leafs turn!!!

Go Leafs Go!!!
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: October 19, 2005, 09:45:09 pm »
LFC won, it's Leafs turn!!!
Go Leafs Go!!!

*Viewers are advised that the opinions expressed by some members of this messageboard do not reflect the views held by all RAWK contributors*

;)

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: October 19, 2005, 11:27:07 pm »
*Viewers are advised that the opinions expressed by some members of this messageboard do not reflect the views held by all RAWK contributors*

;)

;D There's a closet Leafs fan if I've ever seen one ;D  :wave

Leafs have won 3 straight games. Hopefully Liverpool will copy that feat on saturday, picking up their 3rd win in seven days.

Offline Scarlet`

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
« Reply #210 on: October 19, 2005, 11:38:45 pm »
Lol.....if there's a team we're close to....I'd say Netherlands

Great offensive punch but.....their defense is utterly horrible at times (except for a few individuals).....good thing they have a good (aging) goalie for cover :)

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: October 20, 2005, 02:07:08 am »
There was an own goal in the Isles-Rangers game tonight...

Right after Satan scored to make it 2-0 for the Isles, Jagr put a shot into the middle which Pettinen (Isles defender) deflected through Rick DiPietro's legs and into his own net.

Isles still lead 2-1 with 9 minutes left in the 3rd period.
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: October 20, 2005, 02:34:35 am »
Rangers tied the game 2-2 with 4:30 left and they remain tied through the end of overtime...

We have a Shootout...

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: October 20, 2005, 02:58:03 am »
Rangers tied the game 2-2 with 4:30 left and they remain tied through the end of overtime...

We have a Shootout...

:) Shootouts are not fun if you lose in them. Very anti-climax kinda way to end a game.

Offline murphs316

• Kopite
  • 5 Star Heros to 7 Hit Wonders
« Reply #214 on: October 20, 2005, 02:47:57 pm »
I say that this year Stanley cup winners will be the Habs

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: October 20, 2005, 03:28:53 pm »

:puke2 :knob

Offline Scarlet`

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
« Reply #216 on: October 20, 2005, 07:39:17 pm »
Well, to tell you the truth, I'd rather have any Canadian team winning the cup (preferably not  Calgary, Vancouver, Habs or....Ottawa) but if they're the last team left, I'd rather them win than any American team win. 

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
« Reply #217 on: October 20, 2005, 08:00:30 pm »
Neither Vancouver nor Toronto will go far in the playoffs this year. I'm getting deja vu already, watching the Canucks. Two games on, one game off. And of course there's the perennial goalie problem.
"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
« Reply #218 on: October 20, 2005, 08:03:00 pm »
2 Games on one game off?? Our only off game was the first one in the back to back against the Wild. Other than that, the shootout loss vs Edmonton wasa down to the wire game. As for our goalie, alright ill admit he has an issue with consistency, but as a loyal Canuck fan, Im sticking by him, and hoping he'll come good this yr.
"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Offline Sami

• vaguely scandinavian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kome on pool!!!
« Reply #219 on: October 20, 2005, 08:13:12 pm »

In your dreams dude ;D ;D
4-4-2 Sucks

Offline yenners

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #220 on: October 20, 2005, 11:20:44 pm »

There is more chance of Everton winning this Sunday than the Habs winning the Stanley Cup :)

Offline yenners

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #221 on: October 20, 2005, 11:23:46 pm »
2 Games on one game off?? Our only off game was the first one in the back to back against the Wild. Other than that, the shootout loss vs Edmonton wasa down to the wire game. As for our goalie, alright ill admit he has an issue with consistency, but as a loyal Canuck fan, Im sticking by him, and hoping he'll come good this yr.

I really really hope Dan comes through for us this year in the playoffs. If we can get some Kippersoff-ish goaltending we will be in a great postition to go far in the playoffs. Mind you i think Auldy is looking good this year.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: October 20, 2005, 11:23:47 pm »
  There is more chance of Everton winning this Sunday than the Habs winning the Stanley Cup :)

My Enemy's Enemy is my friend.

:wave

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: October 20, 2005, 11:52:28 pm »

We have a Shootout...

Watched the replay of this one.  Yet another cracking game that was hard fought and did not suffer from the (relative) lack of goals.  The Isles won in a shootout after drawing 2-2.  DiPietro was outstanding but the Rangers should have had even more shots on target than they did.  Many went just shy of the goal or right through the crease.

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Steve Biko, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and now ScouserTommy37. Stop the repression!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Will there ever be a Rainbow ?
« Reply #224 on: October 20, 2005, 11:55:05 pm »
My Enemy's Enemy is my friend.

:wave

In that case get yourself down to shhhhhHighbury, the Bernabridge or Woodison. ;)
Come on RAWK lets ave it and you can bring your fuckin dinner as well.

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/ <-- Read this JFT96

MICHAEL SHIELDS YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!

"If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him." Corriere della Sera

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: October 21, 2005, 12:32:20 am »
In that case get yourself down to shhhhhHighbury, the Bernabridge or Woodison. ;)

;D

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: October 21, 2005, 12:37:14 am »
Look at this! Remarkable!  :o

http://www.nhl.com/radio/index.html

Why can't they have this for futebol!?

(I'm having to listen to the Leafs game because I'm not at home tonight - besides that, Andy Frost and the post-game call-in show is great, I've listened to it for years)

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: October 21, 2005, 12:55:40 am »
First period, Leafs just scored - high slapshot from the top of the circle...

Scored by NUMBER 16!!!!! DARCYYYYYYY TUCKERRR!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOOO!  :wellin

Toronto 1 - 0 Carolina

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: October 21, 2005, 01:02:41 am »
Leafs up 2-0 now. McCabe shot from the point deflected in by rookie Alex Steen ;D

Assist for me in Fantasy Hockey (McCabe).

Offline Scarlet`

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
« Reply #229 on: October 21, 2005, 02:52:40 am »
C'mon go Toronto.......3 minutes to go winning 4 - 3!

Offline Scarlet`

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
« Reply #230 on: October 21, 2005, 02:55:57 am »
Oh fricken......I just jinxed them!  T.T

Offline Scarlet`

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
« Reply #231 on: October 21, 2005, 03:10:38 am »
AHAHAHA, radio's behind TV......

my friend "Five buck for Ken Klee scoring!"

I was like O.o "huh?"

Radio: "Ken Klee SCORESSSSSS!!!"

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: October 21, 2005, 04:20:12 am »
AHAHAHA, radio's behind TV......

my friend "Five buck for Ken Klee scoring!"

I was like O.o "huh?"

Radio: "Ken Klee SCORESSSSSS!!!"

Just got home and found out the game story, brilliant stuff! 4 wins on the trot!

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: October 21, 2005, 12:01:06 pm »
I don't get why, in the Fantasy hockey thing, that the more Penalty minutes the better.  I know that defensemen need to mark their territory and play it tough, but I don't get why the team with the most penalty minutes gets the win for that category. ???

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: October 21, 2005, 02:41:51 pm »
I don't get why, in the Fantasy hockey thing, that the more Penalty minutes the better.  I know that defensemen need to mark their territory and play it tough, but I don't get why the team with the most penalty minutes gets the win for that category. ???

I agree that it's strange. It's always been like that in Fantasy Hockey thingers. More than ever, in the new NHL, penalties are very very bad things to take unless it stops a very good scoring chance. I guess that's where their reasoning comes from.

GO Leafs GO

PS: Check out how many goals my team has in fantasy hockey ;D (I'm winning that category 13-1)

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: October 21, 2005, 02:56:49 pm »
PS: Check out how many goals my team has in fantasy hockey ;D (I'm winning that category 13-1)

My team has hardly played this week and I don't think anyone's played more than one game!

I can't say I'm doing well at the moment - St Louis has been average (although he scored last night) as has Bertuzzi, Thornton has been injured and Turco was leaking like nothing last night  ::)  It's still early though and it's too hard to tell whether it is just a rough couple of weeks or poor form.  Hasek has been doing the business in the W column and big Eric hasn't let me down either.  8)

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: October 21, 2005, 03:16:09 pm »
My team has hardly played this week and I don't think anyone's played more than one game!

I can't say I'm doing well at the moment - St Louis has been average (although he scored last night) as has Bertuzzi, Thornton has been injured and Turco was leaking like nothing last night  ::)  It's still early though and it's too hard to tell whether it is just a rough couple of weeks or poor form.  Hasek has been doing the business in the W column and big Eric hasn't let me down either.  8)

No I certainly won't grudge you for having the Big E doing well ;D ;D ;D.

I see you just got the big names. I picked the players that I thought would do well, I don't really have many big names in my team except for Jagr and Pronger. Jagr has been a goalscoring machine and Pronger has been solid but unsensational. McCabe and Kaberle have been better than Pronger in terms of stats.

Ovechkin too. I was shocked that you guys weren't jumping to get him in the draft. This kid is awesome for me, he scores every game (he's 20 in his rookie season with Washington). He's basically a 1-man show in DC.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: October 21, 2005, 03:39:54 pm »

I see you just got the big names. I picked the players that I thought would do well, I don't really have many big names in my team except for Jagr and Pronger. Jagr has been a goalscoring machine and Pronger has been solid but unsensational. McCabe and Kaberle have been better than Pronger in terms of stats.

Ovechkin too. I was shocked that you guys weren't jumping to get him in the draft. This kid is awesome for me, he scores every game (he's 20 in his rookie season with Washington). He's basically a 1-man show in DC.

Yeah but it's difficult when you're not saturated with Hockey coverage.  I only know what I read on the net and when i catch the games a couple of times a week - if I don't stay up till 3am watching a game or visit various sites on the net I would hear/read nothing about the NHL.  Over there you guys have it leading each sport report (in Canada at least) and will always have newspaper coverage and people talk about it everywhere.

So, unless someone is making headlines, it is hard to have an in-depth knowledge of each teams roster.  For example, I'm pretty sure if we went head to head in a soccer fantasy league of the Premiership I'm sure i would do pretty well.  Not because I'm a bigger fan than you, just that i couldn't escape football news, coverage and discussion even if i wanted to!

If you look at the fantasy league, the two North American based guys are kicking the two UK based guys.

Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :)

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: October 21, 2005, 03:57:40 pm »
Yeah but it's difficult when you're not saturated with Hockey coverage.  I only know what I read on the net and when i catch the games a couple of times a week - if I don't stay up till 3am watching a game or visit various sites on the net I would hear/read nothing about the NHL.  Over there you guys have it leading each sport report (in Canada at least) and will always have newspaper coverage and people talk about it everywhere.

So, unless someone is making headlines, it is hard to have an in-depth knowledge of each teams roster.  For example, I'm pretty sure if we went head to head in a soccer fantasy league of the Premiership I'm sure i would do pretty well.  Not because I'm a bigger fan than you, just that i couldn't escape football news, coverage and discussion even if i wanted to!

If you look at the fantasy league, the two North American based guys are kicking the two UK based guys.

Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :)

That's exactly what I was thinking of suggesting. But if you look now when it's coming down to the battle of the two North American guys, the Canadian guy is kicking the American guy's ass ;D ;D ;D.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #239 on: October 21, 2005, 05:22:25 pm »

The Wild game was the only one in which we got punished for not showing up. The same has happened for one or two periods in other games, but we've managed to pull out in time. Canucks have a habit of squeaking it, and it bites them in the ass at times. Almost did again last night. As for Cloutier, stick with him all you want, but its the same old Dan we've seen in past seasons. Look at last night: you've got Cujo standing on his head at one end, making Dan look what he is - a very average goaltender. I'd be interested to see the 5 on 3 shorthanded stats for Vancouver. I know we have one of the worst PK percentages in the NHL, but particularly 5 on 3, when it's really down to your goalie, your heart's in your mouth. Anything on net is likely to go in, screened or not. It's an age since I can recall Cloutier actually winning a game for us, which Joseph almost did for Phoenix last night.
Having said that, we're first in the NHL, and if the Sedin sisters ever get going we'll be unstoppable.

How did you guys let Canadian get Ovechkin??? As many people in hockey predicted, he could upstage Crosby this year, and the last thing I want is a Leafs fan winning the fantasy league  :'(. Next time, put out a post for advice. My son has every stat on everyone - he picked Ovechkin too. Who's got Iginla?
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.