Author Topic: The Tennis Thread - Sponsored By Melt-downium  (Read 937128 times)

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
Re: The Tennis Thread - Sponsored By Melt-downium
« Reply #14720 on: September 3, 2021, 11:56:10 pm »
I think some salty tweet from Andrew Murray is on its way.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #14721 on: September 3, 2021, 11:58:54 pm »
Brilliant from Alcaraz! I thought he was toast after the 4th set but he rallied superbly. Thoroughly enjoyed that.

Tsitsipas can spend as long as he wants in the bogs now ;D
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #14722 on: September 3, 2021, 11:59:46 pm »
Fabulous, fantasy win by Alcaraz. Just a kid, and pulls out a performance like that. Sensational.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14723 on: September 4, 2021, 12:08:20 am »
Exciting match. What a comeback from Alcaraz. Hope he goes all the way to dump Tsisitpas out of the tournament.

This young Spanish is going places.

As for Tsisitpas, I think he is feeling that the crowd was against him and possibly sponsors are giving him the pressure to stop that toilet antics. No toilet break, no advantage.

Agree about Tsitsipas but like mentioned above, him and Zverev can be flaky (Zverev to a greater extent).

Great stuff from Alcaraz though, some of the shots he was pulling off were amazing.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #14724 on: September 4, 2021, 01:10:03 am »
I've been on board the Felix A-A hype train for a long time now. Really like his game and hope he can make it to the very top, competing for Slams. I think getting Toni Nadal on board as a coach can only be a positive thing.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14725 on: September 4, 2021, 01:32:23 am »
He was an exciting young prospect but appeared to hit the brick wall after reaching top 20 or 30. His grand slams record weren’t great either and looked short of an X factor to take him into the level of Zverev or Tsitsipas. Maybe the lacked of tournaments due to Covid has stifled his development significantly. It’s unlucky.

Maybe Uncle Toni could bring more intelligence his game and cut down his unforced errors that is killing him at the moment.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #14726 on: September 4, 2021, 01:42:11 am »
Wow, I really enjoyed that. Alcaraz was just fearless in that match. No nerves whatsoever or affected by the occasion. Took a break in the 4th and just came out all guns blazing in the 5th. This guy is going to be good.
YWNA

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14727 on: September 4, 2021, 02:29:07 am »
Osaka's game has just collapsed here :o
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14728 on: September 4, 2021, 03:03:39 am »
What a performance from Leylah Fernandez! She did brilliantly to ignore Osaka's little meltdown and just kept playing her own game. 18 years old and she's knocked out the defending champion, incredible.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14729 on: September 4, 2021, 03:09:15 am »
What a performance from Leylah Fernandez! She did brilliantly to ignore Osaka's little meltdown and just kept playing her own game. 18 years old and she's knocked out the defending champion, incredible.

Treated to 2 wonderful games tonight. What an awesome game of tennis.

Those tantrums from Osaka were unsportsmanlike especially when she should be a role model for young players like Fernandez. What does she expect? That Fernandez lie down to give her a walkover?

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14730 on: September 4, 2021, 08:57:08 am »

Treated to 2 wonderful games tonight. What an awesome game of tennis.

Those tantrums from Osaka were unsportsmanlike especially when she should be a role model for young players like Fernandez. What does she expect? That Fernandez lie down to give her a walkover?

What did Osaka do?

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14731 on: September 4, 2021, 11:00:54 am »
Sorribes Tormo is some kind of price today. She plays a funky kind of tennis compared to other players and I don’t think Raducanu will be able to solve her.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14732 on: September 4, 2021, 11:15:39 am »
What did Osaka do?

She threw her racquet down a couple of times when she was losing the second set. Didn’t think it was that big a deal imo but obviously her last year has magnified it. Sounds like she’s having a big problem adjusting to all of the attention since last year which is understandable.

She said post match "I feel like for me recently, when I win I don't feel happy. I feel more like a relief. And then when I lose, I feel very sad. I don't think that's normal."

Think I can relate to that watching Liverpool for the last year or so  ;D

Seriously though sometimes people forget how massive the mental game is, she’s broke it down there to really understand and relate to though. When you’ve stopped looking at adversity as a challenge an now it’s just sheer panic and anxiety then everything changes. Hopefully she gets it sorted soon enough.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14733 on: September 4, 2021, 12:38:04 pm »
Do feel sorry for Osaka

Offline palimpsest

• Kopite
« Reply #14734 on: September 4, 2021, 12:48:46 pm »
She threw her racquet down a couple of times when she was losing the second set. Didn’t think it was that big a deal imo but obviously her last year has magnified it. Sounds like she’s having a big problem adjusting to all of the attention since last year which is understandable.

She said post match "I feel like for me recently, when I win I don't feel happy. I feel more like a relief. And then when I lose, I feel very sad. I don't think that's normal."

Seriously though sometimes people forget how massive the mental game is, she’s broke it down there to really understand and relate to though. When you’ve stopped looking at adversity as a challenge an now it’s just sheer panic and anxiety then everything changes. Hopefully she gets it sorted soon enough.

That’s a really heartbreaking quote from Osaka. And indicates that something has gone very wrong with her relationship to the game. I hope she can battle through it and reclaim some of the joy.
We had dreams and songs to sing...

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14735 on: September 4, 2021, 01:00:17 pm »
Yet more evidence that getting to the top and having increased stress and scrutiny can really kill a players enjoyment and sometimes their game. I remember making posts about how Gauff shouldn’t be able to play senior tournaments at a ridiculously young age for this reason. In such a lonely sport it should not be deemed acceptable to expose any child to it. I still stand by every bit of even though she’s competing with the top 32. And this with Osaka is why.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14736 on: September 4, 2021, 01:45:56 pm »

It’s true everybody does it. Halep, Plishkova were all guilty as well.

I think there is a certain expectation of being a reigning champion and also being home favourite. Tennis fans expect sportsmanship from those they see and support. When Serena Williams went hissy fit against Osaka 2 years ago their home crowd also let it be known.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14737 on: September 4, 2021, 01:48:39 pm »
Yet more evidence that getting to the top and having increased stress and scrutiny can really kill a players enjoyment and sometimes their game. I remember making posts about how Gauff shouldn’t be able to play senior tournaments at a ridiculously young age for this reason. In such a lonely sport it should not be deemed acceptable to expose any child to it. I still stand by every bit of even though she’s competing with the top 32. And this with Osaka is why.

Completely agree. It’s cruel to expose her to unrealistic expectation at such a young age but yet WTA and her parents deemed it ok. Everyone is looking for the next child prodigy to market.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14738 on: September 4, 2021, 07:22:56 pm »

Yeah agreed. Thanks.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14739 on: September 4, 2021, 07:30:01 pm »
RAWK favourite Djokovic a break down to Nishikori in the first set.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #14740 on: September 4, 2021, 07:32:54 pm »
Someone give us a heads up when Raducanu comes on, please. I know the Seppi match went to a fourth, at least.
AHA!

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14741 on: September 4, 2021, 07:39:04 pm »
Someone give us a heads up when Raducanu comes on, please. I know the Seppi match went to a fourth, at least.

In about 10-15 minutes, the Seppi-Otte match on that court has just finished.

Online gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #14742 on: September 4, 2021, 07:43:45 pm »
Cheers, just threw it on to see Otte knocking some balls into the crowd and an old fella taking it out of a little kids hand.
AHA!

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14743 on: September 4, 2021, 07:51:33 pm »
Cheers, just threw it on to see Otte knocking some balls into the crowd and an old fella taking it out of a little kids hand.

Classy. Always think the organisers should try and ensure those kinds of things should be specifically targeted towards kids, it'd absolutely make their day.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14744 on: September 4, 2021, 08:00:02 pm »
Nicely done by Nishikori. Will switch to Raducanu now so I don't have to watch the inevitable Djokovic comeback.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14745 on: September 4, 2021, 08:16:21 pm »
There's some very weird grunting going on from Sorribes Tormo.

Great start for Raducanu.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14746 on: September 4, 2021, 08:18:56 pm »
No way is Raducanu ranked 150 in the world. At least top 20 from where I see it.

Seasoned players like Svitolina has nothing over her.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #14747 on: September 4, 2021, 08:20:38 pm »
No way is Raducanu ranked 150 in the world. At least top 20 from where I see it.

Where is the person she’s playing placed? 40 isn’t it?

Matches don’t always go the way you think, but right now, she looks a class above that.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14748 on: September 4, 2021, 08:21:29 pm »

Wimbledon was only her second WTA level tournament so she hasn't exactly had long to accumulate ranking points ;D

Won't be long at all before she's top 50 or even top 20 as you say. Sky's the limit for her.

Where is the person she’s playing placed? 40 isn’t it?

Matches don’t always go the way you think, but right now, she looks a class above that.

Sorribes Tormo is ranked 41st in the world.

Online gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #14749 on: September 4, 2021, 08:21:33 pm »
That return, jeez  :o
AHA!

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14750 on: September 4, 2021, 08:25:35 pm »

Early days in this match, Sorribes Tormo is still the favourite. I think Raducanu just came onto the tour this year and was ranked 300-something going into Wimbledon but given her results, it's no surprise she's shot up the rankings. This'll be her biggest win (I think) if she does it.

Her performances have certainly been great when I've seen her but Anne Keothavong made a good point in that she's unknown to most players she's facing and next year will be the key when a lot more players will be aware of her. How she navigates that will be telling. She certainly looks a talent though.

Online gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #14751 on: September 4, 2021, 08:31:27 pm »
Bagel!
AHA!

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14752 on: September 4, 2021, 08:32:33 pm »
Early days in this match, Sorribes Tormo is still the favourite. I think Raducanu just came onto the tour this year and was ranked 300-something going into Wimbledon but given her results, it's no surprise she's shot up the rankings. This'll be her biggest win (I think) if she does it.

Her performances have certainly been great when I've seen her but Anne Keothavong made a good point in that she's unknown to most players she's facing and next year will be the key when a lot more players will be aware of her. How she navigates that will be telling. She certainly looks a talent though.

Can I withdraw my last remark please?

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14753 on: September 4, 2021, 08:36:03 pm »

That is true. Players may start to figure out her game a bit more as time goes on. She wouldn’t be finding it as easy.

But her ball striking every ball that goes into her strike zone has a amazingly high success rate of being returned at incredible speed and angle. I have seen Konta in all the years she has played on tour and even she doesn’t have that kind of consistency.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2021, 08:37:54 pm by RedForeverTT »

Online gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #14754 on: September 4, 2021, 08:42:11 pm »
This is just ridiculous ball striking.

I’ve Jonahed her, haven’t I?
AHA!

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14755 on: September 4, 2021, 08:56:51 pm »
Sorribes Tormo is some kind of price today. She plays a funky kind of tennis compared to other players and I don’t think Raducanu will be able to solve her.

This aged well  ;D
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14756 on: September 4, 2021, 09:07:12 pm »

:lmao

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14757 on: September 4, 2021, 09:08:36 pm »
That is true. Players may start to figure out her game a bit more as time goes on. She wouldn’t be finding it as easy.

But her ball striking every ball that goes into her strike zone has a amazingly high success rate of being returned at incredible speed and angle. I have seen Konta in all the years she has played on tour and even she doesn’t have that kind of consistency.

Yeah agreed, she has more to her than the likes of Konta. And with Konta (and the other British women), I never got the feeling they could seriously challenge for a slam. It's early days of course but have a lot more confidence that Raducanu will be able to.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14758 on: September 4, 2021, 09:09:31 pm »
Incredible performance, she's very, very good, how far she'll go in her career we'll see but should be fun to watch. Hopefully being aggressive on big points isn't coached out of her along the way.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14759 on: September 4, 2021, 09:09:31 pm »
Well obviously I didn’t see it coming. Sorribes Tormo has been in excellent form this year.