Author Topic: The 25th of May, Happy Istanbul Day and Rome day.  (Read 53532 times)

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The 25th of May, Happy Istanbul Day and Rome day.
« Reply #160 on: May 25, 2013, 12:19:29 am »
So what were you lot doing right now 8 years ago?

I was just thinking about it, couldn't go to bed thinking what will happen that day. Sure we can get some great stories on here of people remembering trips to Istanbul.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Dirk18Kuyt

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2013, 12:21:31 am »
to be honest I can't even remember what I was doing, was about 10 years old, just remember me and my dad sitting up watching the match then going mental when we won!

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #162 on: May 25, 2013, 12:24:25 am »
If the game was over, then after about 15 Efes, I fell asleep on the floor in the free minibuses back to the airport. I then spent the next 8 hours waiting for a flight, using a kerb as a pillow, waking up periodically like "fuck yeah!". Came out at Luton to loads of camera's pointing at us and then got dropped home where my parents pulled out a bottle of Cava and had all the newspapers (bar one ofc) for me to keep for the future.

When I get back home in 2-3 days I might have a bottle of wine and go through my draw of the all the memorabilia.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #163 on: May 25, 2013, 12:26:29 am »
I was just a kid, 12 years old, begging my dad to take me with him to Istanbul in the morning. But I didn't get there. He did and he made me believe at half time when I thought all was lost, practically in tears, he phoned up and just said completely sincerely "Don't worry we'll win this." And you could feel it from the background noise that everyone else believed it too, it was serial. You could hear that immense YNWA in the background and at that point I absolutely believed that we were going to win. Magic day.

Happy Istanbul day everyone.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2013, 12:30:23 am »
I was happy in 1984 but still at school so didnt celebrate too much but in 2005 i was pissed  ;D HAPPY ROME AND ISTANBUL DAY.YNWA
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Offline hoppyLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @OTKFlags
« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2013, 12:41:01 am »
Those videos make the hairs on my neck stand on end and bring a tear (of joy) to my eyes, unforgettable history in the making.

....roll on number 6. :)
@OTKFlags

Supporter, not a customer!

JFT97

SOS member 11059

Offline hitman89762000

• Young Glasshoppel, apprentice to the arlarses. Exponent of The Sandon's original "Hippy Mod In A Headlock" manoeuvre.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never wanting to be a transfer forum mod.
« Reply #166 on: May 25, 2013, 12:42:43 am »
8 years..

Thanks boss.

We'll get #6 soon.
@Robbie9Fowler robbie fowler
@ @hitman8976rawk big spunky seaman was fookin massive... I saw the devil in his eyes and shit my undercrackers

PLEASE Sign Kevin Williams 15yeatr life ended at Hillsborough. His inquest is urgent for his terminally ill mum. http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40925

a tweet fro

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2013, 12:49:35 am »
8 years..

:o
wow, that long? time sure flies
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: May 25, 2013, 01:37:44 am »
8 years on and it still brings me to tears every time. tears of joy at what happened, and tears of sadness about how the beauty of what we had going was brutally destroyed in the years that followed. i was saying the other week to some mates remember the days when "we can only do it in europe, not in the league" was a genuine criticism that people used as a stick to beat rafa? seems crazy when you look back.

my 2 regrets are 1) i had the best day of my life at the age of 12 and it'll never be beaten in football terms ever; 2) i wasn't there when i'd been to all those great anfield nights that season.

you never realise just how high you are, when you're on top of the world.
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2013, 01:51:19 am »
you never realise just how high you are, when you're on top of the world.

Well put mate - 8 years has flown by but some of it seems like yesterday. Remember after the game trying to get some kip at the airport (Sabia Goksun?) on the kirbs outside and then the indoor carousels - at first they wouldn't let flights out without original passenger manisfests - eventually they relented and we got out around 7/8am - I think. Crappy tokens for ice cream and the like in the marquee - nowt indoors lol. Remember a few kids over there would be missing their GCSE exams at the time - loads not making it back for the celebrations in Liverpool - can only imagine it was worth it for them exam kids. It'll probably never be bettered in terms of how the game, and season, went. True and total squad effort.

Raises a glass to Rafa - and everyone who helped make that magical night happen.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Red Zeppelin

• Kopite
The 25th of May, Happy Istanbul Day and Rome day.
« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2013, 02:05:46 am »
What a day! I was offered 2 tickets inside one of the corporate boxes in exchange for my 2 behind the goal for me and my arl fella on the bus to the stadium... Toyed with the idea of free champagne and nibbles ... But then proceeded to telling him to shove them!   .... Good decision I'd say! 
Quote from: kdorg on Today at 02:09:38 AM
the more Pacheco doesn't play the better he becomes. He's turning into a cross between Maradonna Pele Messi and the holy fucking grail.

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: May 25, 2013, 02:26:24 am »
8 years?! Shit I was only 11 at the time and I remember watching the match. At half time my uncle called me to take the piss. Then we suddenly scored 3 goals. It was fucking amazing. Rang my uncle back saying, "you rang too soon" (being 11 couldn't think of anything clever to say). Then at extra time Dudek made an amazing save from a Shevchenko shot. That's when my dad said, "you're going to win it now". Amazingly enough it went to penalties and we did.

Still can't believe it was 8 years ago. After watching that amazing final my passion for LFC became intensified. If only I could have been there live at the stadium, but maybe in the future I will be live at the stadium in another Champions League final.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 02:28:07 am by stevie_legend_g »
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #172 on: May 25, 2013, 02:42:47 am »
Can't believe its been 8 years, bloody hell.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline reds7

• Kopite
  • Walk on Tommo
« Reply #173 on: May 25, 2013, 03:17:51 am »
25th May, will never forget it

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #174 on: May 25, 2013, 04:06:05 am »
:champ

What a night  ;D

Offline dorsetgill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: May 25, 2013, 06:37:56 am »
A brilliant night,never to be forgotten

Offline jay.taller.than.spearing

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #176 on: May 25, 2013, 06:42:13 am »
My voice has never been the same since that night .
JFT96. YNWA .

Offline Earl of Dingleberry

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: May 25, 2013, 07:17:08 am »
8 years?! Shit I was only 11 at the time and I remember watching the match. At half time my uncle called me to take the piss.

You should have sneaked in to your uncle's house and shit into his slippers.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:41:15 am by Earl of Dingleberry »

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: May 25, 2013, 07:28:56 am »
And a happy birthday to the Fat Scouse fella
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline fizzyp

• Kopite
  • those were the days my friend.
Re: The 25th of May.
« Reply #179 on: May 25, 2013, 08:02:12 am »
Still get shivers when I think about it. Best week of my life and I feel safe in saying it'll never be matched. Thank you Rafa.

Thats the 1. You dont know what you had to till its gone.

Special place special memorys.

Instanbul best city outside of liverpool !
The Boss is fucking boss!

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #180 on: May 25, 2013, 08:10:52 am »
Ah! It is still like it happened yesterday. Memories are the greatest assests a man can get. Pure ecstasy that day
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #181 on: May 25, 2013, 10:03:08 am »
Fuck Bayern, Fuck Dortmund... Happy Istanbul and Rome Day... :)

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: May 25, 2013, 10:05:54 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4WDdM-jrgAY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4WDdM-jrgAY</a>
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline pewithree3

• Has a grumpy old female arse.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: May 25, 2013, 10:09:22 am »
Someone I know was on holiday in Spain with his
family, his son`s birthday.
All the family in Liverpool kit and at half time a
bloke said to them, Scouse  it looks like you`ve had it.
The father just said, "has the ref blown for full time yet?"
The other bloke said he would expect his team to get
stuffed 6/7 nil.
Reply was, we are Liverpool, we don`t give in though
that was more bravado than feeling confident.
After the pens, the father and his missus couldn`t
drink all the ale that was bought for them by all kinds.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #184 on: May 25, 2013, 10:51:15 am »
I remember at halftime I got a text from a mate saying "What's the matter with Liverpool?" I just replied "3-3". Also, I was watching the game with some mates at some bar. We had a pot going on the table (you put in two Euros and predicted the score). At half-time nobody could win it, because the results were wrong. So, we had another go (another two Euros into the pot and one more prediction). I said it will be 3-3 and that I'd pay a round, if Liverpool win the cup. So, I made 48 Euros by winning the pot, but had to pay 56 Euros for the ale... ;) That's basically the last thing I remember from that night. Next thing I know is, I wake up at one in the afternoon on the 26th with a huge hangover... ;)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: May 25, 2013, 10:56:54 am »
We got chatting about our memories of Istanbul on the way home from Fulham last week. Lots of memories never to be forgotten were taken away with me that night.

The night really began with YNWA at HT and Rafa's wonderful introduction of Didi Hamann.

Ryan Giggs can shove his league titles as the sight of Steve Gerrard willing his team on after that first goal will stick with me forever. Would Stevie swap that night for a title medal? I'd think not.

I still love Milan Baros for getting out of the way of Vlad's shot and Vlad's subsequent celebration was epic. It Reminded me of Tardelli's goal celebration in the 1982 World Cup final. I knew then we were going to win the cup. I Just knew it.

Alonso then giving us the fright of our lives was not good for the heart.

For me, Jerzy Dudek etched his name in the Liverpool legends roll of honour that night.  I still don't know how he saved Shevchenkos shot in extra time and neither does he I suspect. Dudek and Carra were a perfect double act that night. The sorcerer and his apprentice.

Carra, already a Liverpool legend bared his whole body and soul for all to see on 25th May and gave one of the greatest performances in a Liverpool shirt I have ever seen. Although a massive team effort in that 2nd half, if not for that massive display of world class defending and leadership, I don't think we would not have won that game.

I remember sitting on one if the many buses laid on to take us from the Ataturk. A packed bus full of emotionally drained Liverpool fans sat in an almost stunned silence reflecting on what we had just witnessed. Looking back it was very surreal. I remember buying a can of warm Effes from a little Turkish kid running alongside of the bus. I paid about a fiver for it but the lad was welcome to it :)

I went to every game home and away during that 2005 CL campaign and am still suffering financially for it now. But every day I take a quick look at my framed Match ticket still in one whole piece and match-day programme hanging proudly in the Hall and know that what we saw on 25th May 2005 was an honour and privilege to be part of.

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: May 25, 2013, 11:22:51 am »

Good times...

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #187 on: May 25, 2013, 11:35:00 am »
Drinking Efes on a boat in the middle of the Bosphorus  :)

What a day. Sitting here getting shivers.

Offline G1-tiga

• Kopite
« Reply #188 on: May 25, 2013, 11:56:46 am »
I was 13, when asked who I supported I answered England. Little did I know that the 25th may 2005 would change my football life forever.

I'd always liked Liverpool FC, but that night I fell in love and have never, and will never look back. Watching the game again now, just unbelievable.

Thank you Liverpool FC. Lets go and win the 6th, hopefully under Rodgers!!!

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: May 25, 2013, 12:34:21 pm »
8 years ago is crazy really. Still remains the best day and night of my life. I was 13 so was in school that day but there was such a great buzz, no one focused on any lessons that day. There was just something magic in the air you could feel it - I brought a Turkish Delight for good luck.

Went round to a mates at about 6, there was 7 of us, we played footy then watched the match - half time everyone was deflated but one or two of us still believed. Then came the craziest most unbelievable 6 minutes ill ever experience watching football. We spilt drink everywhere, tv almost got knocked over but we didn't care. Then the penalty shoot out. When Dudek saved everyone but me ran out the house into the street and went mental. I was just shell shocked trying to take it all in.

What a night.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline AJL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This time one year, we'll be the Champions again
« Reply #190 on: May 25, 2013, 01:06:21 pm »
The DVD is going on about 5pm.

What a day/night/week.

:champ

"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side"

#JFT96

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: May 25, 2013, 01:09:35 pm »
As wonderful as those days were, I think we need to look to the future. Sometimes I wonder whether our glorious past makes us a bit complacent.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: May 25, 2013, 01:17:43 pm »
Never went through the scale of emotion as much in my entire life. Agony to ecstasy in a little over 2 hours. What a night
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline psycllone

• Main Stander
  • Neo, its about time you free your mind.
« Reply #193 on: May 25, 2013, 01:20:33 pm »
I live in Germany now, and was talking to a few Dortmund fans last night at a pub. And they were telling me about going into tonight's game as underdogs and doing what we did exactly 8 years back.
I love the fact that we set a benchmark for clubs around the world who are not considered to be the favorites.
8 years on and the memory still remains !  :)
Your intelligence is my common sense.

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: May 25, 2013, 01:22:32 pm »
Went to both either very very lucky  ;D or very very old  :'(

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: May 25, 2013, 01:32:41 pm »
I was lying on my mum's bed watching the game and reading gamesmaster magazine (I was 13), at half time I thought there wasn't much hope left so I started reading the magazine properly whilst half-watching the game. When Gerrard scored I put the magazine down and was glued to the TV - the moment after he scored when he put his arms up trying to get everyone going again was the moment for me. When Smicer scored I started crying and it was a rollercoaster from thereon. I went downstairs to watch the pens as my step dad and his mate were watching it down there, I remember wanting to scream when Dudek saved the last pen but my sister and brother were in bed so I had to stifle it somewhat.

The morning after we were on a school trip to Alton Towers so I had to get up at 6 and we were all buzzing throughout the day.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #196 on: May 25, 2013, 01:34:34 pm »
Also my wedding anniversary good day all round, got married same year we beat Newcastle at Wembley if you want to work it out?
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: May 25, 2013, 02:06:04 pm »

I was just thinking about it, couldn't go to bed thinking what will happen that day. Sure we can get some great stories on here of people remembering trips to Istanbul.

I was 12 so was in school. Think I was in Art at this precise moment just smiling constantly. Not many football fans in that particular class at the time and if there was, they were not Liverpool fans so 'forza milan' etc etc. I didnt care, I was just amazed we were actually there. Legged it home from school and straight into the clothes I wore for the chelsea semi which me and me old man went to. He wore the same too, but we both changed at half time!

Gonna have to get the dvd out later with a few bevvies just before the main event tonight!
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #198 on: May 25, 2013, 02:20:47 pm »
Happy emotional roller-coaster break your heart crying day, everybody!

And cry!...................
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: May 25, 2013, 03:06:40 pm »
Best night of my life, thanks Rafa :)

Happy Istanbul day!