Jim Beglin
Ian Darke
Seb Hutchinson
Karen Carney
Alan Parry
David Coulthard
Mark Webber
Ian Wright-late option

Author Topic: Who is the best pundit? 2021 edition  (Read 1046598 times)

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Who is worst Commentator/Pundit? Get your votes in and I'll add them
« Reply #8080 on: June 14, 2021, 12:51:53 am »
Jenas is on this Peter Crouch show now. Fucking hell.

Enough is enough.

Why is he on every show? He is even touted to be the next match of the day host, not sure why

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #8081 on: June 14, 2021, 08:36:25 am »
Why is he on every show? He is even touted to be the next match of the day host, not sure why
Because the BBC is all about the yoof and the bantz these days. You only need to look at their sport website compared to how it was even 5 years ago. The live text commentary full of banter and embedded tweets instead of just professionally relaying the action. #ohmydays! #scenes!

There’s been a conscious decision by the beeb the past few years to appeal to a different demographic. Gone are the articulate, measured, mature analysts and reporters and commentators - now we’re in the age of Jenas and Savage et al. #topbins. It wouldn’t surprise me if TMS do away with Agnew etc and replace them with Flintoff & Jenas. “The Freddie & JJ cricket show”.

(Obviously I’m an old man shouting at a cloud and not the target demographic, but I still find it a shame that I  barely want to watch any sport with the sound on these days, or watch the analysis/discussion, or read the BBC site.)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 09:36:14 am by IgorBobbins »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #8082 on: June 14, 2021, 08:42:05 am »
McCoist is the best of the co-commentators. Easily the best. Why he's 2nd string I have literally no idea.

I'm guessing its because he's not particularly abrasive or controversial, doesn't chat utter wham and so doesn't generate the same amount of social media attention as someone like Neville or Carragher.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8083 on: June 14, 2021, 09:30:08 am »
Because the BBC is all about the yoof and the bantz these days. You only need to look at their sport website compared to how it was even 5 years ago. The live text commentary full of banter and embedded tweets instead of just professionally relaying the action. #ohmydays! #scenes!

There’s been a conscious decision by the beeb the past few years to appeal to a different demographic. Gone are the articulate, measured, mature analysts and reporters and commentators - now we’re in the age of Jenas and Savage et al. #topbins. It wouldn’t surprise me if TMS do away with Agnew etc and replace them Flintoff & Jenas. “The Freedie & JJ cricket show”.

(Obviously I’m an old man shouting at a cloud and not the target demographic, but I still find it a shame that I  barely want to watch any sport with the sound on these days, or watch the analysis/discussion, or read the BBC site.)

You may be an old man  ;)  but you're absolutely spot on. It's their choice I suppose, it's just a bit of a shame because historically you could always go to the BBC for some balance and normality, it was the last one left. 

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8084 on: June 14, 2021, 09:40:08 am »

There’s been a conscious decision by the beeb the past few years to appeal to a different demographic. Gone are the articulate, measured, mature analysts and reporters and commentators - now we’re in the age of Jenas and Savage et al. #topbins. It wouldn’t surprise me if TMS do away with Agnew etc and replace them with Flintoff & Jenas. “The Freddie & JJ cricket show”.

No you're absolutely right, it's all so fake and contrived - and it's also quite patronising to young people to assume that's all they want. But even those who do like all that stuff will already have their own outlets for that (Twitter, YouTube etc) - they don't go to the BBC for that. And it's not like they're competing with other channels for an audience - if the match is on BBC, everyone will watch it on there anyway, they don't have a choice.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #8085 on: June 14, 2021, 09:41:59 am »
Presuming the final will be on both channels, I'm considering actually watching it on itv and I've never done that in 40+ years of life.

Though I don't tend to watch any pre-match stuff regardless so guess it doesn't really make any difference.

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #8086 on: June 14, 2021, 09:44:20 am »
Presuming the final will be on both channels, I'm considering actually watching it on itv and I've never done that in 40+ years of life.

Though I don't tend to watch any pre-match stuff regardless so guess it doesn't really make any difference.
Haha I’m the same. Give me Tyldesly & McCoist over Mowbray & #JJ any day  :D

Offline Oh Campione

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8087 on: June 14, 2021, 09:50:40 am »
Haha I’m the same. Give me Tyldesly & McCoist over Mowbray & #JJ any day  :D

No chance Clive and Ally get the final unfortunately - it will be Matterface and Dixon

Offline oldman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8088 on: June 14, 2021, 10:01:00 am »

I've been watching the re runs of the 70's " the big match " on itv - commentators only commenting on the game when neccessary - no pundits in the studio - just a few comments from Brian Moore - heaven compared to what we get now

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8089 on: June 14, 2021, 10:06:34 am »
No chance Clive and Ally get the final unfortunately - it will be Matterface and Dixon

Sadly so, ITV have got things back to from there.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Dr Stu-Pid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #8090 on: June 14, 2021, 10:41:30 am »
Does anyone know if Ally McCoist doesn't want to be a full-time co-commentator and so chooses just to work 'part-time' for Amazon and ITV, or is it just a case of Sky and BT simply being too thick to work out that he is the best in the game by a country mile?

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8091 on: June 14, 2021, 10:41:31 am »

How Sam Matterface is seen as premier to Clive Tyldesley I'll never know. He doesn't even have a good voice, which should be seen as pretty crucial for a commentator.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8092 on: June 14, 2021, 11:49:28 am »
How Sam Matterface is seen as premier to Clive Tyldesley I'll never know. He doesn't even have a good voice, which should be seen as pretty crucial for a commentator.

Jacqui Oatley and Karen Carney have horrible voices too, not being a gammon over this, my missus detests them too and cannot understand why they get to commentate, the sound goes off when either of those two are on. I had to turn 5 Live off on Saturday due to the wham Carney was chatting. Just in football, you have got Gabby Logan and Kelly Cates, who are so much better to listen to and a lot more knowledgeable about the game.

When you hear Clive and McCoist on Comms, or the likes of De Jong in the studio last night, you realise just how poor the rest of the comms and pundits on UK coverage really are.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Paisley79

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8093 on: June 14, 2021, 12:31:01 pm »
I'm considering actually watching it on itv and I've never done that in 40+ years of life. 

I know what you mean. I'm fast approaching 50 & I sat watching the game last night thinking to myself "I never thought I'd see the day when ITV have better football coverage than BBC"

I've been watching the re runs of the 70's " the big match " on itv - commentators only commenting on the game when neccessary - no pundits in the studio - just a few comments from Brian Moore - heaven compared to what we get now

I've been watching those too. Funnily enough, I wasn't really a fan of Moore back in the day but the quality of commentating is absolutely night & day compared to the non-stop crap that is spouted these days.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #8094 on: June 14, 2021, 12:43:07 pm »
What does everyone think of Pat Nevin?

Always think he’s great to listen to on the radio. Don’t know why he doesn’t get used on TV but then you see the direction they’ve gone in with Jenas and Richards...

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #8095 on: June 14, 2021, 12:44:18 pm »
Also I agree, Tyldsley and McCoist were really good to listen to last night.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8096 on: June 14, 2021, 01:00:43 pm »
What does everyone think of Pat Nevin?

Always think he’s great to listen to on the radio. Don’t know why he doesn’t get used on TV but then you see the direction they’ve gone in with Jenas and Richards...

I like him, he knows his stuff and is good to listen to. I really felt for him on Saturday, he was doing the Denmark game with Carney and while he was talking with authority, she just chatted shite. One point he sort of fed her a line to make her sound like she wasn't totally clueless.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8097 on: June 14, 2021, 03:40:03 pm »
Jacqui Oatley and Karen Carney have horrible voices too, not being a gammon over this, my missus detests them too and cannot understand why they get to commentate, the sound goes off when either of those two are on. I had to turn 5 Live off on Saturday due to the wham Carney was chatting. Just in football, you have got Gabby Logan and Kelly Cates, who are so much better to listen to and a lot more knowledgeable about the game.

When you hear Clive and McCoist on Comms, or the likes of De Jong in the studio last night, you realise just how poor the rest of the comms and pundits on UK coverage really are.

Yeah I thought De Jong was alright too. I never normally watch the pre game or after game stuff. I'll tell you something McCoist done and does a lot, he called something, something in one of the goals about an offiside or something. Then went back and said he got it wrong having seen it again. When do you ever hear the others do that ?  Its usually a - nothing in that Fletch statement followed by a replay then a - nope, nothing in that

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8098 on: June 14, 2021, 04:18:38 pm »
It's incredibly sad what has happened to the BBC in recent times. And sadder still that there was no need for it.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8099 on: June 14, 2021, 05:41:54 pm »
Emma Hayes is decent. You can tell she actually enjoys talking about the tactical side of the game. Unlike the likes of Jenas, Keown and Murphy who just spend all game moaning a d generally add nothing.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8100 on: June 14, 2021, 05:47:03 pm »
Absolute twat of a person but yeah she's been excellent on co comms

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8101 on: June 14, 2021, 06:04:20 pm »
Eniola Aluko however is fucking woeful. Doesn't even know what she's saying herself and just repeats it. Makes Jenas sound coherent.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8102 on: June 14, 2021, 06:27:13 pm »
Absolute twat of a person but yeah she's been excellent on co comms

How so? Feels like an inside info kind of comment!

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8103 on: June 14, 2021, 06:54:25 pm »
Sam Matterface just said "Bednarek has scored home and away against Man Utd this season, well actually one of those was an own goal" ;D

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8104 on: June 14, 2021, 06:57:41 pm »
Piss poor from the lass.

Focusing on the game, doing her research, offering a decent tactical analysis of the contest ... where were the inanities? The banter? The mispronunciations? The ‘the big lad’s got to be getting his head on that for me, Guy’ style cliches?

*shakes head*

Offline Bill Shepherd

• Main Stander
  • Works well under constant supervision.
« Reply #8105 on: June 14, 2021, 07:26:32 pm »
Was funny watching Peter Walton give his damning verdict on the Polish sending off and everyone in the studio disagreeing.
On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere. On the verge of indecision, I'll always take the roundabout way.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #8106 on: June 14, 2021, 08:59:51 pm »
Carl Anka often makes good points and can be insightful, but my word is he smarmy.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8107 on: June 14, 2021, 09:02:25 pm »
Was funny watching Peter Walton give his damning verdict on the Polish sending off and everyone in the studio disagreeing.

Shows the arrogance of punditry that they were all so sure it shouldn't have been a yellow, despite him just having explained to them that uefa had made a point of explaining to the teams and players that such fouls would result in a yellow card.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8108 on: June 14, 2021, 09:07:27 pm »
McCoist is my favourite co commentator to be honest. He appreciates good football, never hyper critical and just his tone and personality is so much better than the likes of Murphy, Jenas etc. They are so boring, always think they know better than the players or managers out there, just proper condescending little bells.

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #8109 on: June 14, 2021, 10:28:28 pm »
Carl Anka often makes good points and can be insightful, but my word is he smarmy.
Laughs at his own jokes too.  I know Sash frequents these boards, so I don’t want to be rude about one of his pod mates, but my heart always sinks when I see that Carl is on the Totally Football pod. There’s something about him that irritates the life out of me (beside him being a Utd fan  ;D).

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8110 on: June 14, 2021, 10:43:59 pm »
McCoist is my favourite co commentator to be honest. He appreciates good football, never hyper critical and just his tone and personality is so much better than the likes of Murphy, Jenas etc. They are so boring, always think they know better than the players or managers out there, just proper condescending little bells.
McCoist loves football, he loves footballers, he loves the crowds, he loves everything about the game, and it comes through, he knows what he's talking about, he is a proper old school football man. The best co-commentator, without a doubt.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8111 on: June 15, 2021, 07:00:08 am »
Shows the arrogance of punditry that they were all so sure it shouldn't have been a yellow, despite him just having explained to them that uefa had made a point of explaining to the teams and players that such fouls would result in a yellow card.

Maybe im in a minority but I had more trouble with the first yellow which they all said was indisputable.
Just a slight brush of the upper arm for a fraction of a second which results in the player shouting in pain and falling forward. Not even mentioned, it was all a definite yellow and free kick.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #8112 on: June 15, 2021, 08:24:19 am »
McCoist loves football, he loves footballers, he loves the crowds, he loves everything about the game, and it comes through, he knows what he's talking about, he is a proper old school football man. The best co-commentator, without a doubt.

This. Clive Tyldesley and McCoist are light years ahead of Jonathan Pearce and Keown.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8113 on: June 15, 2021, 10:08:03 am »
How so? Feels like an inside info kind of comment!

Had an affair several years ago with her club captain which broke up a family and separated three children from their father, amongst other things.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8114 on: June 15, 2021, 10:50:20 am »
Hurrah.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #8115 on: June 15, 2021, 08:48:49 pm »
It's a pleasure listening to Clive and Ally....relaxed, amusing, appreciative...adding to the game rather than detracting from it..
the absolute gold standard commentary team 👌
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8116 on: June 15, 2021, 09:40:59 pm »
It's a pleasure listening to Clive and Ally....relaxed, amusing, appreciative...adding to the game rather than detracting from it..

Yes because, while the game isn't exactly brilliant I can't take my eyes off it. Normally I'm looking for the mute button by now.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8117 on: June 15, 2021, 09:44:58 pm »

Ally said on 20 minutes about all the stats Clive had trotted out, with a laugh. All proper stats too, such as the usually only 3 own goals in a tournament when we've had 3 this week.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8118 on: June 15, 2021, 10:42:23 pm »
They're a good pair but some of the praise has been well over-excessive. Possibly because most others are so shite
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Paisley79

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8119 on: June 16, 2021, 11:00:58 am »
They're a good pair but some of the praise has been well over-excessive. Possibly because most others are so shite

This. I've never been a fan of Tyldesley. He used to get a lot of pelters on here too I remember, with many pointing out a perceived Manc bias. But his stock has definitely gone up since his 'demotion' by ITV.

All that said, he's one of the best amongst a truly awful selection of commentators at the moment. Arlo White is the other that is mostly OK. However, I thought Tyldesley was back to his cliche-riddled worst last night. When he could get his tongue out of the French teams arse anyway.

McCoist, on the other hand, is brilliant