Author Topic: Rox's Dog Advice Thread  (Read 397671 times)

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Rox's Dog Advice Thread
« Reply #4240 on: September 1, 2019, 06:33:10 pm »
So yesterday we drove down to Bolton to see a litter of malamutes that were born two weeks ago last Friday, cute as a button they were. Four of the five had been reserved but the remaining pup was adorable so we reserved her and are taking her home on the sixth of October.

Couldn't decide whether to call her Zelda or Khaleesi, went with Zelda.

I was well aware of how big they can get, but what struck me is how fast they go from size of a TV remote to size of a wolf. Was planning on not going down again between now and pick up day but after seeing pics of pups at 4 and 6 weeks I think we're gonna go down a few times. Can only help her get used to our smell etc too.

Fella said they'd be good to go at six weeks but I think I want to leave her with mum until 8.

Now the fun begins!
My nieces family had a malamute, they're huge. 

She was only about 6mths old when my dog, a border collie, took a dislike to her and they decided to fight. 

They ended up under my parents dining room table which was a solid oak antique table seating 8 and she lifted it off the floor in the scuffle.

Unfortunately they ended up taking her back to the breeder as my niece couldnt handle her on her own with 2 young children.

Beautiful dog but not for the faint hearted, she stood well over 6 foot tall on her hind legs at less than a year old.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4241 on: September 26, 2019, 06:35:14 pm »
Arnie died this afternoon  :( :( :(

I’m absolutely gutted. Not entirely sure what happened but he had a bit of a cold 2 weeks ago, seemed to get over it a week ago and been OK all the last week - then this afternoon he came to where I was sitting, lay down and started breathing heavy and slow. I could just tell he was on the way out, so sat stroking him and about 5-10 mins later he just drifted off.

He’s been living with my parents since I moved, which he’s loved as they’ve a huge garden that he could come and go from as he pleased. However they’ve been away the last 2 and a bit weeks so I’ve been back here with him and I’m so happy I got to spend that with him and that I was here with him when he died.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4242 on: September 26, 2019, 06:46:37 pm »

I’m absolutely gutted. Not entirely sure what happened but he had a bit of a cold 2 weeks ago, seemed to get over it a week ago and been OK all the last week - then this afternoon he came to where I was sitting, lay down and started breathing heavy and slow. I could just tell he was on the way out, so sat stroking him and about 5-10 mins later he just drifted off.

He’s been living with my parents since I moved, which he’s loved as they’ve a huge garden that he could come and go from as he pleased. However they’ve been away the last 2 and a bit weeks so I’ve been back here with him and I’m so happy I got to spend that with him and that I was here with him when he died.

How sad, sorry to hear that mate. RIP Arnie  :'(

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #4243 on: September 26, 2019, 06:55:21 pm »
Sorry for your loss mate, condolences! :'(

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4244 on: September 26, 2019, 06:57:31 pm »
Ah mate that's heartbreaking but comforting that you had that time together again [emoji25]

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4245 on: September 26, 2019, 07:29:35 pm »

Sorry for your loss Craig I know too well, you're going to miss him mate... Rip Arnie       

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4246 on: September 26, 2019, 10:34:54 pm »
Thanks guys. Prettycut up right now, but just really really glad I managed to spend a solid 20 or so days with him and was there when he died.

Dogs are amazing, but it is so fucking shite when they die.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #4247 on: September 26, 2019, 11:01:53 pm »
Thanks guys. Prettycut up right now, but just really really glad I managed to spend a solid 20 or so days with him and was there when he died.

Dogs are amazing, but it is so fucking shite when they die.

Feel for you mate..  :'(  ... I'm so glad you were there at the end, we both/all know what it means to you.

'Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear'

The Power of the Dog - Rudyard Kipling - 1865-1936
https://poets.org/poem/power-dog
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #4248 on: September 26, 2019, 11:32:24 pm »
Sorry to hear that Craig. It's heartbreaking when you lose a dog that's been a massive part of your life. RIP Arnie.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4249 on: September 27, 2019, 08:59:49 am »

Fucking hell, sorry mate. Glad you got the time together and he was at home.

RIP Arnie x

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #4250 on: September 27, 2019, 09:23:01 am »
Sorry to hear this, buddy.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4251 on: September 27, 2019, 11:16:13 am »
So sorry to hear that Craig, our time with our dogs is so short. I hope the happy memories help you in the next few days/weeks.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4252 on: September 27, 2019, 03:14:44 pm »
Feel for you mate. But at least you were with him until the end. Did the same with Dylan last year, still think about him all the time...

How old was Arnie?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4253 on: September 27, 2019, 06:55:02 pm »
Cheers everyone.

He would have been 8 this Jan. Not that old but for his size and breed they don’t really live all that old.

The vet did say when he had his op that although the cancer he had doesn’t often spread that when it does it will go to the lungs. So I’m hazarding a guess that this is what’s happened. The cold he had last week may have been enough to weaken things  :(

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #4254 on: September 28, 2019, 02:31:54 am »
Aw Craig that's so sad mate :( best wishes to you and yours.

It's 2:30am and I'm currently sleeping (or trying) on the sofa as Zelda is refusing to settle. Currently on a schedule of two hours kip in her crate followed by garden time for toilet, another five mins or so to calm her down again, rinse and repeat. Debs did the week shifts on sofa cos I was at work but now it's my turn ;D

Reading up on it most suggest to leave her on her Todd and she'll get bored of crying, but we tried that yesterday and she shite everywhere so I don't mind a few weeks on the sofa while she gets used to living here and her stools firm up some.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4255 on: September 28, 2019, 02:37:42 am »
Absolutely gutted for you Craig [emoji3525] RIP Arnie

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4256 on: September 28, 2019, 10:27:35 am »
Aw Craig that's so sad mate :( best wishes to you and yours.

It's 2:30am and I'm currently sleeping (or trying) on the sofa as Zelda is refusing to settle. Currently on a schedule of two hours kip in her crate followed by garden time for toilet, another five mins or so to calm her down again, rinse and repeat. Debs did the week shifts on sofa cos I was at work but now it's my turn ;D

Reading up on it most suggest to leave her on her Todd and she'll get bored of crying, but we tried that yesterday and she shite everywhere so I don't mind a few weeks on the sofa while she gets used to living here and her stools firm up some.

Personally I’d go cold turkey and just let her cry. It’ll soon stop and you’re probably only delaying it and/or causing possible separation issues if she associates that she can cry & get attention.

When we got Chloe she cried and cried for 2-3 nights but then it stopped - we got her this dog teddy type thing which we found she used to sleep next to which I think helped.

She also made a mess in her crate the first few nights despite the constant trips outside but we just had clean stuff ready to go, replaced it and shoved everything in the wash the next morning. She ended up being totally house trained (all be it with constant trips out) within about 7-10 days ish.

Not sure how big the crate is but if it’s quite large for her currently then consider blocking part of it off so it doesn’t give her the chance to have an area to go the loo and then sleep elsewhere - should encourage her to try and hold it.

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4257 on: September 29, 2019, 11:10:44 am »

You could try an Adaptil pheromone collar or diffuser, there is some good evidence that they help puppies settle more quickly; https://veterinaryrecord.bmj.com/content/163/3/73.full

Personally I prefer to gradually build up separation, either starting with the dogs crate in your room and then moving it progressively further away, or by moving yourself further away during the night. Building up positive associations with the crate during the day by giving chews in the crate is also helpful.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4258 on: October 22, 2019, 09:22:52 am »
Anyone any suggestions on how I can help one of my dogs suffering from sensory overload?

Sometimes I can distract her with treats or a ball or stick but even that gets her wired and aggressive and the barking becomes incessant.

She calms down to an extent when I put her on a lead but is still aggressive towards people, other dogs, bikes, cars or anything else that moves.

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4259 on: October 23, 2019, 03:22:12 pm »
Anyone any suggestions on how I can help one of my dogs suffering from sensory overload?

Sometimes I can distract her with treats or a ball or stick but even that gets her wired and aggressive and the barking becomes incessant.

She calms down to an extent when I put her on a lead but is still aggressive towards people, other dogs, bikes, cars or anything else that moves.

Is she a collie or collie cross by any chance?

That sounds like a case for a certified behaviourist. Definitely not something you will get useful advice on over the internet. Best to get a vet referral.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4260 on: October 23, 2019, 03:52:20 pm »
Is she a collie or collie cross by any chance?

That sounds like a case for a certified behaviourist. Definitely not something you will get useful advice on over the internet. Best to get a vet referral.
She's a border collie and a rescue so absolutely no background on her and yes I think that's what its going to take too.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4261 on: October 26, 2019, 10:07:29 pm »
I've got a 12 year old Shih Tzu and since Tuesday she's been non-stop shivering and drinking loads of water and hardly eating :(

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4262 on: October 29, 2019, 08:26:01 pm »
My nieces family had a malamute, they're huge. 

She was only about 6mths old when my dog, a border collie, took a dislike to her and they decided to fight. 

They ended up under my parents dining room table which was a solid oak antique table seating 8 and she lifted it off the floor in the scuffle.

Unfortunately they ended up taking her back to the breeder as my niece couldnt handle her on her own with 2 young children.

Beautiful dog but not for the faint hearted, she stood well over 6 foot tall on her hind legs at less than a year old.

This annoys me, not having a go at you Debs as I know you're a responsible dog owner, but how do you get a dog like that and then realise you can't cope? Surely you'd research online to see how big the dog would grow before you buy it?
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4263 on: October 29, 2019, 08:40:56 pm »
This annoys me, not having a go at you Debs as I know you're a responsible dog owner, but how do you get a dog like that and then realise you can't cope? Surely you'd research online to see how big the dog would grow before you buy it?
I said exactly the same when they got her but it was her husbands choice, not hers.  He's in the navy and I don't think they expected him to go to sea again so soon and she was left to cope on her own.

How are you getting on with yours?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 08:44:36 pm by reddebs »

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4264 on: October 29, 2019, 08:55:31 pm »
I said exactly the same when they got her but it was her husbands choice, not hers.  He's in the navy and I don't think they expected him to go to sea again so soon and she was left to cope on her own.

How are you getting on with yours?
I don't have one, I'm what you'd call a responsible non dog owner...  :) Which means I'd love one but at the moment there's no way I can have one, for me it's like having a child, and I have one of those...!

I have a cat, I'm not really a cat person, in fact I don't like them but I have one.  :)
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4265 on: October 29, 2019, 09:02:35 pm »
I don't have one, I'm what you'd call a responsible non dog owner...  :) Which means I'd love one but at the moment there's no way I can have one, for me it's like having a child, and I have one of those...!

I have a cat, I'm not really a cat person, in fact I don't like them but I have one.  :)
Makes perfect sense mate.  The responsibility and commitment is massive and fair weather owners annoy the hell out of me.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4266 on: October 30, 2019, 08:52:20 am »
yep, I do wonder at this time of year where all the dogs get walked cos the park is fucking empty!

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4267 on: October 30, 2019, 12:19:44 pm »
yep, I do wonder at this time of year where all the dogs get walked cos the park is fucking empty!
Haha I'm never happy though cos in the summer when every man and his dog are out walking I'm wishing they'd all fuck off back to where they hide in the winter and let me enjoy the space on my own!

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4268 on: November 1, 2019, 10:06:26 am »
Think this is the end for my 12 year old Shih Tzu now :(

She's gone  :'(
« Last Edit: November 1, 2019, 03:19:10 pm by AndyMuller »

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4269 on: November 1, 2019, 10:43:33 am »
Oh no! [emoji26]

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4270 on: November 1, 2019, 04:14:40 pm »

She's gone  :'(

Ah sorry to hear mate. Wasn't long ago Arnie went, and it gets easier but still miss him all the time.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4271 on: November 1, 2019, 04:46:43 pm »
Ah sorry to hear mate. Wasn't long ago Arnie went, and it gets easier but still miss him all the time.

Thanks Craig. Sorry to hear about Arnie aswell mate, is that him in your profile pic?

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4272 on: November 5, 2019, 04:14:01 pm »
Really struggling at the moment to get my head around everything that’s happened. She has completely broken my heart. 😢

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4273 on: November 5, 2019, 04:19:14 pm »
Thanks Craig. Sorry to hear about Arnie aswell mate, is that him in your profile pic?

Sorry only just seen this. Yeah mate that's him, attached another pic.

It is heartbreaking mate. Does get easier with time but fucking horrible none the less.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4274 on: November 5, 2019, 07:11:33 pm »

It is heartbreaking mate. Does get easier with time but fucking horrible none the less.

Ah mate he’s boss! He looks a strong lad!

Here’s my girl, such a sweetheart. 😢

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4275 on: November 6, 2019, 04:13:43 pm »

He was a real stunner mate. I'm a sucker for any of the bull breeds  ;D

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4276 on: November 8, 2019, 10:02:57 pm »
Lost Ruby tonight.

Vets reckoned splenetic tumour had ruptured, no signs before, came home after picking the other half up and found her collapsed in her bed and struggling. Rushed her to the vets, Leahurst and Chestergate couldn't take her in. Was transferring her to the vets other branch where they had better facilities but she didn't make it there, died in the car on Jennies lap. Proper daddies girl. We're both gutted.

Came to us an an oldie (10 year old) last year after we lost Deedee, hoped we would give her a few good years but not to be. Gave her a good life when she was with us though.

So sudden and so unfair.

Apologies to Craig and Andy, I've just come on here and vented without reading up, so sorry for you guys :(

« Last Edit: November 8, 2019, 10:20:45 pm by tedmus »

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #4277 on: November 8, 2019, 10:20:37 pm »
Lost Ruby tonight.

Vets reckoned splenetic tumour had ruptured, no signs before, came home after picking the other half up and found her collapsed in her bed and struggling. Rushed her to the vets, Leahurst and Chestergate couldn't take her in. Was transferring her to the vets other branch where they had better facilities but she didn't make it there, died in the car on Jennies lap. Proper daddies girl. We're both gutted.

Came to us an an oldie (10 year old) last year after we lost Deedee, hoped we would give her a few good years but not to be. Gave her a good life when she was with us though.

So sudden and so unfair.

Sorry to hear this. Sounds like although not 'a few good years', she had a great final year.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4278 on: November 8, 2019, 10:28:51 pm »
Lost Ruby tonight.

So sudden and so unfair.

Apologies to Craig and Andy, I've just come on here and vented without reading up, so sorry for you guys :(
You gave her the chance of a happy few years when others wouldn't have bothered and she returned that by giving you her love and loyalty, however briefly that was for.

Cherish those memories, she'll never leave your hearts [emoji26]

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #4279 on: November 9, 2019, 01:45:44 am »
Lost Ruby tonight.

So sudden and so unfair.

So sorry to hear this. It's heartbreaking.  :'(

Yesterday was the 4th anniversary of losing our little guy. I went down to the beach in the car and just sat there remembering all the great times we had walking along the shore.

There is some consolation in knowing we gave our dogs a wonderful life while they were with us I think. In time, I hope that, as well as your precious memories bring you comfort.

Take care of yourself.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.