Author Topic: SPOILERS The Chainless Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon Discussion  (Read 1040169 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Game of Thrones - The TV Show; Spoilers are Coming
« Reply #9720 on: July 24, 2017, 12:14:52 pm »
Spoiler

Did anyone else think Arya was done for then? Genuinely thought they were gonna whip out a shock wolf mauling
[close]
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #9721 on: July 24, 2017, 12:43:49 pm »
Spoiler
Wonder if that's the last we'll see of Nymeria? It kind of seemed like the writer's way of tying up a loose end. The Hot Pie reunion was great though.

There's some great potential reunions/first meetings to come. Jon and Dany, arguably the two biggest characters meet each other. Jon and Tyrion reunite. Davos and Melisandre. Also Arya could potentially see Sansa and Littlefinger again but something tells me she won't.

Think it's set up really nicely at the minute. Got a feeling once things gets moving it could yet top the heights of last season.
[close]

Brilliant episode

Spoiler

Theon, what the fuck mate, !!!!!???? Wrong time to have that type of moment what next? And does anyone else think that Sonsa will betray Jon in some way?
[close]
Spoiler
Sansa betraying Jon has been heavily hinted at since Littlefinger arrived. I hope that if it does happen, it's done in a slightly more inventive way than yet another Littlefinger manipulation.
[close]

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #9722 on: July 24, 2017, 12:58:01 pm »
That was an incredible episode. Can't wait for next week ;D

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #9723 on: July 24, 2017, 01:14:50 pm »
Absolute belter episode.
Spoiler
Can't believe people are moaning about the greyworm scene - finally GOT has rediscovered it's love of nudity!
[close]

Spoiler
If all I want is nudity there are no shortage of other places I can find it!

Maybe its just because its a departure from the books that just feels like an attempt to shoehorn some nudity in!

It just feels to me like there is an awful lot of story left to tell and not much time left to tell it, so I would rather that was the focus.
[close]

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #9724 on: July 24, 2017, 01:29:05 pm »
Spoiler
If all I want is nudity there are no shortage of other places I can find it!

Maybe its just because its a departure from the books that just feels like an attempt to shoehorn some nudity in!

It just feels to me like there is an awful lot of story left to tell and not much time left to tell it, so I would rather that was the focus.
[close]
Spoiler
Can't say I agree. It can't all be plot progression, that would make for an extremely hurried show. You need moments of respite like Grey Worm and Missandei.

Think about it, in this episode alone we had Jon leaving Winterfell to meet Dany, Tyrion unveiling his plan, Sam curing Ser Jorah and then a climatic battle scene which saw Euron take two main characters hostage. No need to fit in any more.
[close]

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #9725 on: July 24, 2017, 01:43:19 pm »
Spoiler
Can't say I agree. It can't all be plot progression, that would make for an extremely hurried show. You need moments of respite like Grey Worm and Missandei.

Think about it, in this episode alone we had Jon leaving Winterfell to meet Dany, Tyrion unveiling his plan, Sam curing Ser Jorah and then a climatic battle scene which saw Euron take two main characters hostage. No need to fit in any more.
[close]

Spoiler
If you need respite at least give me some  involving characters I give 2 shits about ;)

I guess its just as a book reader, I've always their elevation in importance odd.

Like I said anyway I enjoyed the episode apart from that.
[close]

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #9726 on: July 24, 2017, 01:50:41 pm »
Absolute belter episode.
Spoiler
Can't believe people are moaning about the greyworm scene - finally GOT has rediscovered it's love of nudity!
[close]

Spoiler
It was excellent nudity as well.

I tried pulling that actress a couple of times when I was at Uni and she used to be in Hollyoaks  8)
[close]
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #9727 on: July 24, 2017, 01:59:51 pm »
Spoiler

I tried pulling that actress a couple of times when I was at Uni and she used to be in Hollyoaks  8)
[close]
Spoiler
She's pretty amazing, even by GOT standards.
[close]

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9728 on: July 24, 2017, 02:12:31 pm »
Superb episode - went incredibly fast and then that scene at the end...

Spoiler
I wonder if this is a bit out there but is Theon the prince who was promised? I mean 'what is dead may never die' and metaphorically he was dead for a good while after Ramsey....and then he throws himself over board but doesn't drown, all that prince who was promised stuff at the beginning of the episode and it ends with Theon looking on destruction having survived himself...maybe I'm way off but would be a big shock.

I can't really do a good and bad bits this week as I honestly think it was all good. Even the Greyworm scene was pretty touching IMO.

The Jorah scene was too much for me and I've seen a lot of disgusting scenes in Thrones...

I think Dany is going to be aggressive and attack rather than her original plan after hearing what has happened with Euron. I mean she has a lot of loyalty to the Martells. Certainly first blood to Cersei. The irony is that if she wins and kills those dragons then she paves the way for White Walker destruction.

And finally Jon has not learnt the true lesson of Game of Thrones - mess with LittleFinger and it doesn't end well...
[close]
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #9729 on: July 24, 2017, 02:21:43 pm »
Superb episode - went incredibly fast and then that scene at the end...

Spoiler
I wonder if this is a bit out there but is Theon the prince who was promised? I mean 'what is dead may never die' and metaphorically he was dead for a good while after Ramsey....and then he throws himself over board but doesn't drown, all that prince who was promised stuff at the beginning of the episode and it ends with Theon looking on destruction having survived himself...maybe I'm way off but would be a big shock.

I can't really do a good and bad bits this week as I honestly think it was all good. Even the Greyworm scene was pretty touching IMO.

The Jorah scene was too much for me and I've seen a lot of disgusting scenes in Thrones...

I think Dany is going to be aggressive and attack rather than her original plan after hearing what has happened with Euron. I mean she has a lot of loyalty to the Martells. Certainly first blood to Cersei. The irony is that if she wins and kills those dragons then she paves the way for White Walker destruction.

And finally Jon has not learnt the true lesson of Game of Thrones - mess with LittleFinger and it doesn't end well...
[close]
Spoiler
You raise a good point in that it's interesting Theon has survived this long, he's been in it since the very beginning after all. I still think it's a bit of a stretch, but then it would be strange for his character to come all this way and then not serve any purpose.

Controversially gonna put it out there. I found that Jorah scene really satisfying. I know it's supposed to be tortuous for him...but it looked so satisfying picking that stuff off.

Littlefinger will do anything to deal with Jon now. He's been watching from the side, now Jon's gone to Dragonstone though he's gonna start scheming big time. I think that wave between Jon and Sansa is quite telling, it's probably the last time they're allies.
[close]

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #9730 on: July 24, 2017, 02:37:35 pm »
Can I just commend the brilliant use of the Spoiler function in the thread today. The comments along the lines of 'fantastic episode' have me buzzing to watch e2 now, though.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #9731 on: July 24, 2017, 02:52:54 pm »
Spoiler
If you need respite at least give me some  involving characters I give 2 shits about ;)

I guess its just as a book reader, I've always their elevation in importance odd.

Like I said anyway I enjoyed the episode apart from that.
[close]
As a book reader you should be pretty used to reading a great amount of irrelevant filler.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9732 on: July 24, 2017, 02:53:55 pm »
Spoiler
As pure entertainment that was okay. More embarrassingly childish dialogue writing. Words like "country" used in a setting that predates the concept of nation states, which really leads to a lack of immersion for me. More unreasonable stuff from both Jon and Sansa. Why couldn't Jon tell Sansa about putting her in charge earlier? It just needed to be infront of all the lords for the sake of drama. The ironborn don't even bother keeping an eye out for the largest armada in Westeros? It's not like they got ambushed by pirates there. The Yara and Dorne woman dialogues were painfully bad... fair to say Varys wouldn't tolerate this level of incompetence. Anyway, people might start complaining that I've complained about gaping plot holes and awful dialogues. On the plus, I'm delighted those sand snakes are finally dead. They were the powerpuff girls of Westeros. And Natalie Immanuel is a bomb.
[close]
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9733 on: July 24, 2017, 03:44:45 pm »
As pure entertainment that was okay. More embarrassingly childish dialogue writing. Words like "country" used in a setting that predates the concept of nation states, which really leads to a lack of immersion for me.

;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline JHova2427

• Enjoys a nice bit of halibut and is prepared to get stoned for it. 2427 times.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9734 on: July 24, 2017, 05:14:02 pm »
Spoiler
As pure entertainment that was okay. More embarrassingly childish dialogue writing. Words like "country" used in a setting that predates the concept of nation states, which really leads to a lack of immersion for me. More unreasonable stuff from both Jon and Sansa. Why couldn't Jon tell Sansa about putting her in charge earlier? It just needed to be infront of all the lords for the sake of drama. The ironborn don't even bother keeping an eye out for the largest armada in Westeros? It's not like they got ambushed by pirates there. The Yara and Dorne woman dialogues were painfully bad... fair to say Varys wouldn't tolerate this level of incompetence. Anyway, people might start complaining that I've complained about gaping plot holes and awful dialogues. On the plus, I'm delighted those sand snakes are finally dead. They were the powerpuff girls of Westeros. And Natalie Immanuel is a bomb.
[close]

Spoiler
I am glad I am not the only one that thinks this.  Are there no scouts on the open seas?  1,000 ships made in three weeks by a small group of islands can just sneak up on you in one fell swoop?  Are you not looking?

Did Euron take an arrow to the neck and get slashed a couple times by a sand snake, which are notorious for poisoning their blades...  He is acting rather fucking sprightly the next few days. 

Euron is literally out of a comic book. 

Hopefully we are seeing the back of these shit Dornishwomen and there is some actually smart, reasoned Dornish man/woman to take their place of power.  Also, Yara is supposed to be a great, tough leader.  She seems to be all talk and no action.

The fact that Cersei has this contrived power now is rather absurd as no one likes her and she has shown previously she is the worst leader and diplomat in Westeros.  They need an antagonist so they've made her a clever propagandist who knows how to win people to her side. 

Sorry, I am a massive griper on some of this.  The first 5 seasons at least made sense logically in the crazy world we were set in.

The rest of the episode was solid.  Jon and Sansa should really chat before hashing these things out in front of every Northern lord.   
[close]

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #9735 on: July 24, 2017, 05:21:11 pm »
Spoiler
I have to say I was really disappointed with Theon, especially as Yara had gone back for him. I cannot see her surviving sadly now and I have lost interest in Theon as a result. Loved the Arya scenes with the direwolf. I still think she will follow her back up north.I feel sad she will miss Jon, as he probably won't be at Winterfell. But the idea of Jon and Daenerys at last meeting is exciting. The Dany-Varys exchange was really good, and I could kind of see both their points of view. I couldn't work out if all the Sand Snakes were killed, or if one was left over along with Ellaria. I feel her encounter with Cersei will be brutal next week.Also Sansa being left with LF at Winterfell has got disaster written all over it. Great to see LF pushed into the wall by Jon just a pity he didn't punch him as well. All in all a really good episode. I really dislike Euron though hopes someone does him serious damage.
[close]
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9736 on: July 24, 2017, 05:29:27 pm »
Spoiler
I have to say I was really disappointed with Theon, especially as Yara had gone back for him. I cannot see her surviving sadly now and I have lost interest in Theon as a result. Loved the Arya scenes with the direwolf. I still think she will follow her back up north.I feel sad she will miss Jon, as he probably won't be at Winterfell. But the idea of Jon and Daenerys at last meeting is exciting. The Dany-Varys exchange was really good, and I could kind of see both their points of view. I couldn't work out if all the Sand Snakes were killed, or if one was left over along with Ellaria. I feel her encounter with Cersei will be brutal next week.Also Sansa being left with LF at Winterfell has got disaster written all over it. Great to see LF pushed into the wall by Jon just a pity he didn't punch him as well. All in all a really good episode. I really dislike Euron though hopes someone does him serious damage.
[close]

Spoiler
Tyene, the one who had those scenes with Bronn season before last, was captured. The other 2 were killed. Although I think Tyene and Ellaria will probably face the most gruesome and brutal deaths we've seen on the show next week after what they did to Myrcella.
[close]

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9737 on: July 24, 2017, 05:32:26 pm »
Spoiler
Tyene, the one who had those scenes with Bronn season before last, was captured. The other 2 were killed. Although I think Tyene and Ellaria will probably face the most gruesome and brutal deaths we've seen on the show next week after what they did to Myrcella.
[close]

Spoiler
I had a feeling one of them escaped. I fear you are right it will not make pleasant watching next week. Thanks.
[close]

Offline simpleman

• Doesn't wash his willy
  • Anny Roader
  • Believer
« Reply #9738 on: July 24, 2017, 06:52:09 pm »
Spoiler
We've seen Sansa grow from a naive little girl to a confident ruthless (when necessary) young woman.  She's already identified LF as a snake, stating that she knows what he's after.  I wouldn't be surprised if she end's up having LF killed.  She has learnt from both LF and Cersei.  I think there are some darker depths of her character still to be realised.  So I wouldn't be too quick to think she'll betray Jon or be influenced by LF.

I was anxious through the scene with Arya and the Dire wolf.  I thought she might become dinner.  It would have been a kick in the balls if it had happened.  She's one of my favourite characters.  I can't wait for her to be reunited with Sansa, Jon and Bran.
[close]

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9739 on: July 24, 2017, 07:09:01 pm »
I kind of viewed that Arya wolf scene as:

Spoiler
The wolves will betray her - specifically Sansa betraying Jon/Arya?
[close]
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Game of Thrones - The TV Show; Spoilers are Coming
« Reply #9740 on: July 24, 2017, 07:35:04 pm »
I kind of viewed that Arya wolf scene as:

Spoiler
The wolves will betray her - specifically Sansa betraying Jon/Arya?
[close]
Spoiler
I took it more as being a sign of Arya's direction from here. As soon as she heard about Winterfell she headed that way, to be with her family. Then she meets Nymeria who can no longer be tamed. It reminds Arya of herself in that she's always followed her own path. I don't think she'll be headed to Winterfell when we next see her.
[close]

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9741 on: July 24, 2017, 07:43:30 pm »
Spoiler
Taxi for Theon Greyjoy

[close]

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9742 on: July 24, 2017, 07:47:09 pm »
It's probably been answered before, but how the fuck do the ravens know where to go? And do none of them ever get intercepted? If Sam and Jon ever meet up again, what if Jon didn't get the raven.

"I definitely sent it"
"Well I didn't get it"
"Well that's not my fault is it. You may ring the head office of the ravens and find out where it is, because it was OK when it left me"
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9743 on: July 24, 2017, 07:48:13 pm »
It's probably been answered before, but how the fuck do the ravens know where to go? And do none of them ever get intercepted? If Sam and Jon ever meet up again, what if Jon didn't get the raven.

"I definitely sent it"
"Well I didn't get it"
"Well that's not my fault is it. You may ring the head office of the ravens and find out where it is, because it was OK when it left me"

I've always wondered this. They have some quality gps system

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9744 on: July 24, 2017, 07:51:22 pm »
We did see ravens getting shot down in the first season. It was Robb/Theon etc outside the Twins if I remember correctly

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9745 on: July 24, 2017, 07:51:37 pm »

"I definitely sent it"
"Well I didn't get it"
Given how quickly they get to places I'm going to say they teleport.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #9746 on: July 24, 2017, 07:59:33 pm »
glad I finished my tea before that bit with sam and jorah.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9747 on: July 24, 2017, 08:30:09 pm »

Brilliant bit if editing that.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #9748 on: July 24, 2017, 08:53:45 pm »

"I definitely sent it"
"Well I didn't get it"
Think it's a typical fantasy thing you're supposed to just go with.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #9749 on: July 24, 2017, 08:54:46 pm »
Spoiler
I'll say it again, that looked ridiculously satisfying to pick off. Not for Jorah admittedly.
[close]

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9750 on: July 24, 2017, 10:20:29 pm »

There has been a siege where all the ravens were being shot. Also I may be remembering this wrong, but when Arya was being taken north to to Castle Black from Kings Landing, I think they were taking ravens with them. So in Westeros, perhaps Ravens can "home" like pigeons, and get sent by road and boat out from their various homes to the places messages would need to be sent from.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 10:22:27 pm by leftfooter »
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #9751 on: July 24, 2017, 10:21:43 pm »
Yeah I just saw it as Westeros version of messenger pidgeons

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9752 on: July 24, 2017, 10:36:12 pm »
What do we think Cersei will do to Ellaria if Euron delivers her? Obviously she will die but I'm wondering if she will torture her

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #9753 on: July 24, 2017, 10:46:34 pm »
What do we think Cersei will do to Ellaria if Euron delivers her? Obviously she will die but I'm wondering if she will torture her
Spoiler
She's probably getting the Mountain's treatment, whatever that is. I'm more intrigued on whats going to happen to Yara to be honest, Euron could have killed her on the battle but didn't and Cersei doesn't have any particular bones to pick with her besides siding with the enemy.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 05:22:37 am by Lastrador »

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9754 on: July 24, 2017, 10:48:04 pm »

Spoiler
Well Ellaria killed Cersei's daughter, and Cersei now has Ellaria's daughter Tyene. So it is not looking good for Tyene
[close]
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9755 on: July 24, 2017, 11:17:57 pm »
Spoiler
I am glad I am not the only one that thinks this.  Are there no scouts on the open seas?  1,000 ships made in three weeks by a small group of islands can just sneak up on you in one fell swoop?  Are you not looking?

Did Euron take an arrow to the neck and get slashed a couple times by a sand snake, which are notorious for poisoning their blades...  He is acting rather fucking sprightly the next few days. 

Euron is literally out of a comic book. 

Hopefully we are seeing the back of these shit Dornishwomen and there is some actually smart, reasoned Dornish man/woman to take their place of power.  Also, Yara is supposed to be a great, tough leader.  She seems to be all talk and no action.

The fact that Cersei has this contrived power now is rather absurd as no one likes her and she has shown previously she is the worst leader and diplomat in Westeros.  They need an antagonist so they've made her a clever propagandist who knows how to win people to her side. 

Sorry, I am a massive griper on some of this.  The first 5 seasons at least made sense logically in the crazy world we were set in.

The rest of the episode was solid.  Jon and Sansa should really chat before hashing these things out in front of every Northern lord.   
[close]

Spoiler

I genuinely don't expect any logic anymore from the show anymore. Internal consistency was sacrificed long before at the altar of drama. And then the ridiculous token appeasement of various groups is funny too. Get hammered for misogyny? Stick a bunch of women into power. Complaints that GoT is predominantly white? Chuck in some completely needless scenes between Missandei and grey worm. Painful playing to t gallery dialogues. The lack of gender pronuns in high valaryian being the latest given it's a raging debate stateside at the moment. I still watch because I'm driven purely by curiosity and all that but the drop in quality is drastic from the first few seasons.
[close]

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9756 on: July 24, 2017, 11:33:56 pm »
Spoiler

I genuinely don't expect any logic anymore from the show anymore. Internal consistency was sacrificed long before at the altar of drama. And then the ridiculous token appeasement of various groups is funny too. Get hammered for misogyny? Stick a bunch of women into power. Complaints that GoT is predominantly white? Chuck in some completely needless scenes between Missandei and grey worm. Painful playing to t gallery dialogues. The lack of gender pronuns in high valaryian being the latest given it's a raging debate stateside at the moment. I still watch because I'm driven purely by curiosity and all that but the drop in quality is drastic from the first few seasons.
[close]

Spoiler
I don't get your point about the women in power bit. George RR Martin is a big fan of the War of the Roses, and it is obvious that is a big influence in GOT. There were women in that who got into power, so I don't see it as appeasing people. I would say there are number of characters that you could say are similar to Elizabeth Woodville, Margaret Beaufort and others. In fact there is an interesting documentary on one of the DVD's where historian's give their opinions on who the various characters are based on.
[close]

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9757 on: July 24, 2017, 11:41:27 pm »
Spoiler
I don't get your point about the women in power bit. George RR Martin is a big fan of the War of the Roses, and it is obvious that is a big influence in GOT. There were women in that who got into power, so I don't see it as appeasing people. I would say there are number of characters that you could say are similar to Elizabeth Woodville, Margaret Beaufort and others. In fact there is an interesting documentary on one of the DVD's where historian's give their opinions on who the various characters are based on.
[close]
Spoiler
I've written about this before but I think the show's treatment of women is ham-fisted as fuck while GRRM very intricately brings out their roles in the world. It's not so much that I have any issue with women becoming powerful, but that the manner in which they do so is far too removed frim the world it is set in and was done quite clearly in response to two rape scenes in one of the scenes. We know this because D&D said so. The Dornish women, Yara and to some extent Sansa riding into power being the best examples given they are quite clearly incompetent in the show's world at least.
[close]

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9758 on: July 24, 2017, 11:42:28 pm »
Spoiler

[close]

Haha, if you managed it I'd be asking for your paypal details to wire you some money.  She is incredible!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9759 on: July 24, 2017, 11:57:42 pm »
Spoiler
I've written about this before but I think the show's treatment of women is ham-fisted as fuck while GRRM very intricately brings out their roles in the world. It's not so much that I have any issue with women becoming powerful, but that the manner in which they do so is far too removed frim the world it is set in and was done quite clearly in response to two rape scenes in one of the scenes. We know this because D&D said so. The Dornish women, Yara and to some extent Sansa riding into power being the best examples given they are quite clearly incompetent in the show's world at least.
[close]

Spoiler
To be honest the way women characters are generally written is an annoyance to me, as there is rarely the layers that you get with a lot of the male leads. Some of the rape scenes to me where not needed, for the story telling. The other thing that is there is a tendency to make the women too much like the men, the only thing their interested in is the power. Why not show one of them actually using some intelligence, as opposed to just being the same. The women who moved in that world did not have the same toughness, so had to use their guile and be cleverer, in order to survive in a man's world. So I agree they could make it more realistic.
[close]