Author Topic: SPOILERS The Chainless Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon Discussion  (Read 1040168 times)

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Re: Game of Thrones - The TV Show; Spoilers are Coming
« Reply #9480 on: July 17, 2017, 03:15:32 am »
Started off really well but thought it was a piss poor finish for a first episode.

Struggling to remember the father and daughter the hound is on about though, anyone help?

Spoiler
The Hound and Arya met that farmer and daughter early in season 4, here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKPEEIuU0to
[close]
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Game of Thrones - The TV Show; Spoilers are Coming
« Reply #9481 on: July 17, 2017, 03:31:03 am »
Spoiler
Thought that was great, sets up so many possibilities. I'll look at it closer later on.

Loved the ending, Daenerys setting foot in Westeros and Dragonstone had to be epic and that's exactly how it felt. The Jorah scene was kinda scary, be interested to see what he looks like.

Have to say though, my favourite scene of this episode might also be one of my favourite scenes of any Game of Thrones episode. The Hound discovering and then burying the farmer and his daughter. A really sad callback to those characters and a gesture which showed how The Hound has changed. Amidst all the talk about wars, kings and queens, something about that part really got me.
[close]

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9482 on: July 17, 2017, 04:15:20 am »
Spoiler
Good set-up episode.  You can tell they're trying to get to the finish line now (only 12 episodes now).  The character development is done.  It's about getting the action going now.

In early seasons, Sam probably would've been caught in episode 1, banished in episode 2, runs into Jorah in episode 3, got back in citadel in episode 4, and then not figured out Dragonglass at Dragonstone until like episode 8.  Also, did Brienne and Pod just teleport from Riverrun to Winterfell?  With more time like previous seasons, it probably also would've taken the Hound a lot longer to be convinced by Beric and Thoros, and Meera and Bran would've surely run into trouble before making it to the wall.  No messing with the Euron storyline either.

This episode was devoid of big action, but it sets things up nicely.  Things are moving very quickly now.  No more long-drawn out character development needed.

Except Ed Sheeran.  WTF was that?
[close]
King Kenny.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9483 on: July 17, 2017, 04:16:58 am »
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss Arya

Spoiler
No more house Frey! Robb thanks you from beyond the grave. That's the Freys and Boltons totally gone as houses now, they've really freed up the villain slots for the white walkers.
[close]

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #9484 on: July 17, 2017, 04:21:05 am »
He promised his sister on her deathbed.
promised what? Provide quotes that contradict my post.

Spoiler
We need a name for that beginning.

Frey Filet?
Winters Wedding?

And ed fucking Sheeran?

Overall very enjoyable, despite some dialogue leaving a lot to be desired.
[close]

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9485 on: July 17, 2017, 05:35:13 am »
Good solid start to the season, setting up what will follow.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #9486 on: July 17, 2017, 06:07:01 am »
Stunt casting gets on my tits, completely brings me out of the story

Spoiler
fuck ed sheeran
[close]
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9487 on: July 17, 2017, 09:10:43 am »
Spoiler
I've got no idea how I knew, probably read it somewhere, but I knew Ed Sheeran was popping up at some point.

Great start to the season. Will have to watch it again later
[close]

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9488 on: July 17, 2017, 10:40:24 am »
It's pure Hollywood these days. Still worth a watch and it is really the only tv show that I watch, but it has nowhere near the subtlety and intrigue it did originally. Case in point, the Chuck Norris of Westeros, Danerys Targareyan.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #9489 on: July 17, 2017, 10:51:32 am »
Ed Sheeran for fucks sake.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #9490 on: July 17, 2017, 10:55:59 am »
Spoiler
The Sheeran cameo was the only downside for me. The guy from Coldplay didn't speak and isn't that recognisable, same goes for Sigur Ros. You can't put one of the biggest selling musicians in the world in a Lannister uniform and expect it not to be jarring. Shame, because that scene is actually otherwise very charming.
[close]

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #9491 on: July 17, 2017, 10:58:05 am »
Spoiler
Has the magic of The Wall gone now that Bran has crossed it?
[close]

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9492 on: July 17, 2017, 11:02:08 am »
Spoiler
I think the first episodes are never ones for intrigue and subtlety, as there is usually too much time spent darting around Westeros and Essos, with long shots establishing locations and generally setting things up.

Good start I thought, and comparable in quality to previous season's first episodes.
[close]
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #9493 on: July 17, 2017, 11:05:10 am »
It's pure Hollywood these days. Still worth a watch and it is really the only tv show that I watch, but it has nowhere near the subtlety and intrigue it did originally. Case in point, the Chuck Norris of Westeros, Danerys Targareyan.
It's building to a conclusion though, so this seems natural. The first few seasons were heavy on their talk of winter, dragons and wars. Now all that is finally coming.

I know exactly what you mean, but I think it needs to be done on a grand, Hollywood scale. The time for subtlety was in the build up to these last few seasons, now that they're here it seems fitting that the pace accelerates to a dramatic finale.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #9494 on: July 17, 2017, 11:13:31 am »
Spoiler
A solid opener but I expected more than just the standard place-setting stuff given that we're only getting 7 episodes this season.

The Ed Sheeran cameo was extremely jarring as well.
[close]

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9495 on: July 17, 2017, 11:28:21 am »
Spoiler
The Sheeran cameo was awful but seeing the kid from This is England in that scene was fun. I think for me the dialogue is more jarring - the Hound remarking on someone's topknot, or hearing Jamie saying something with modern phrasing like: "We haven't talked about Tommen". It's not quite at the level of Legolas snowboarding but it's not that far off. And the Sam montage is a trick everyone's seen a hundred times before. All it was missing was a quarter screen effect at the end.
[close]

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #9496 on: July 17, 2017, 11:53:54 am »
But surely telling Catelyn wouldn't have put Jon in any danger

Ned didn't know Catelyn at all before their wedding day * - he certainly couldn't trust her with a secret like that at the time (she could tell her sister or other confidant and before you know it the secret is out - little birds and walls have ears too ;)) Even his own best mate and King wanted to kill all Targaryens at that time (and still did years later).

Plus, as others have said, a promise is a promise - and Ned seemed to be a man of his word.

* Ned had supposedly loved Arthur Dayne's sister, Ashara - not long before marrying Cat (who was betrothed originally to his elder brother, Brandon) - http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Ashara_Dayne & http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Catelyn_Stark#Early_Life
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:30:21 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #9497 on: July 17, 2017, 12:28:22 pm »
Really enjoyed that. My expectations are low from here on out but i got loads of the bits i like about this show still and little of the bits i don't like.

Ed Sheeran and Varys' tan were a bit distracting though.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #9498 on: July 17, 2017, 01:07:42 pm »
For me that was one of the worst episodes of the entire series.

Spoiler
Hound and Brotherhood Without Banners scene pointless. The Hound's already been redeemed. He doesn't need to go and bury some people he robbed 3 seasons ago.

Cersei and Jaime have done a variation of that sames scene how many times now?

Arya killing Freys first thing in the season is nice, but didn't have much impact. The less said of her next scene the better.

Sam is always fun, but his scenes were so perfunctory and there purely so he can *gasp* find exactly what he went to Oldtown to find.

Euron was good value. I quite liked his bit.

Dany's scene might have been better had it come at the end of a better episode, but it was so poor that I was willing something, anything other than the phoned in "the dragon has landed" scene on Dragonstone.
[close]

All in all, just atrocious.

In the trailer for the next episode though...

NEXT EPISODE TRAILER SPOILER
NYMERIA!!!!!!
[close]

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9499 on: July 17, 2017, 01:12:16 pm »
Spoiler
I love beric and thoros. Their scene with the hound was great
[close]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:14:21 pm by Sir Psycho Sexy »
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline ShrewKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9500 on: July 17, 2017, 01:24:50 pm »
Spoiler
Great start and then it slowed down again. I fear with the season being split into 7 episode, one year break, six episodes, it's going to be more build up right up until the year break. That Ed Sheeran cameo was nonsense, it was just not needed - on a par with David Beckham appearing in King Arthur. Winter is here, more fights, less Sam emptying pots of turds please!
[close]

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9501 on: July 17, 2017, 01:26:34 pm »
Spoiler
That Ed Sheeran cameo was nonsense, it was just not needed - on a par with David Beckham appearing in King Arthur. Winter is here, more fights, less Sam emptying pots of turds please!
[close]
This

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #9502 on: July 17, 2017, 01:40:32 pm »
Spoiler
The Sheeran cameo was awful but seeing the kid from This is England in that scene was fun. I think for me the dialogue is more jarring - the Hound remarking on someone's topknot, or hearing Jamie saying something with modern phrasing like: "We haven't talked about Tommen". It's not quite at the level of Legolas snowboarding but it's not that far off. And the Sam montage is a trick everyone's seen a hundred times before. All it was missing was a quarter screen effect at the end.
[close]
Spoiler
I really liked the episode but you're right about those modern phrases. The top knot line was an overly obvious wink to the camera, and the Sam montage was strange considering I don't think there's ever been a montage in GOT.

I had a feeling that was Thomas Turgoose!
[close]

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9503 on: July 17, 2017, 01:52:37 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
The writing has been shit for years now mate. Since they started deviating from the books to be precise. Characters don't even swear like they live on Westeros anymore. They sound like they came straight out of Brooklyn with the odd "c*nt" thrown in just to make it sound more British. It has been a seriously ham-fisted production on quality terms since they deviated from the books.
[close]

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #9504 on: July 17, 2017, 01:54:47 pm »
Spoiler
I really liked the episode but you're right about those modern phrases. The top knot line was an overly obvious wink to the camera, and the Sam montage was strange considering I don't think there's ever been a montage in GOT.

I had a feeling that was Thomas Turgoose!
[close]

Spoiler
I think there may have been montages with Arya doing her training? (though not as condensed as Sam's) - I suppose it's to give some sort of passage of time with Sam being there as opposing to just turning up and getting what he is seeking straight away... he had to earn it - and meet Jorah of course ;)
[close]

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9505 on: July 17, 2017, 02:03:01 pm »
It's building to a conclusion though, so this seems natural. The first few seasons were heavy on their talk of winter, dragons and wars. Now all that is finally coming.

I know exactly what you mean, but I think it needs to be done on a grand, Hollywood scale. The time for subtlety was in the build up to these last few seasons, now that they're here it seems fitting that the pace accelerates to a dramatic finale.

I quite understand the need to quicken things up and tie up all the loose ends. But I think D&D are just desperate to shock or create drama and frankly, some of it is Bold and the beautiful level. For example, Jon's parentage was one of the most debated plot points in the storyline and the ultimate reveal was so thoughtlessly done that people thought Ned boned his sister. It's quite striking that GRRM has had little to do with the show since about season 4 and the quality has deteriorated significantly since then. The sheer strength of the source material is the only thing that keeps GOT interesting anymore and that's despite D&D, not due to them.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9506 on: July 17, 2017, 02:05:37 pm »
Spoiler
The writing has been shit for years now mate. Since they started deviating from the books to be precise. Characters don't even swear like they live on Westeros anymore. They sound like they came straight out of Brooklyn with the odd "c*nt" thrown in just to make it sound more British. It has been a seriously ham-fisted production on quality terms since they deviated from the books.
[close]
Have to agree with this. The more they deviated from the books, the worse the writing got

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9507 on: July 17, 2017, 02:14:31 pm »
Spoiler
Didn't we already know that Dragonstone had shit loads of dragonglass in it? Feel like that was referred to previously so not sure how much of a revelation Sam's discovery was.
[close]

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #9508 on: July 17, 2017, 02:18:19 pm »
moan moan moan moan moan then.

no surprise.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9509 on: July 17, 2017, 02:29:48 pm »

no surprise.
;D

It's like the sun rising.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9510 on: July 17, 2017, 02:40:04 pm »
Spoiler
Didn't we already know that Dragonstone had shit loads of dragonglass in it? Feel like that was referred to previously so not sure how much of a revelation Sam's discovery was.
[close]
Sam himself said Stannis mentioned it to him, which is probably where you heard it before. After some quick googling lookis like it was in an episode towards the end of season 5.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #9511 on: July 17, 2017, 02:44:20 pm »

no surprise.

;D

I'll bet you they all keep watching though.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9512 on: July 17, 2017, 02:50:14 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Stannis: I'm told you killed a white walker
Sam: I did, your grace
Stannis: How?
Sam: A dagger made of dragonglass
Stannis: Dragonglass?
Sam: What the maesters call obsidian
Stannis: I know what it is. We have it in Dragonstone. Why would obsidian kill a walker?
Sam: I don't know [rambles on]

S05,E05

It should have been looked into sooner really!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9513 on: July 17, 2017, 02:53:58 pm »
Okay, so he knew roughly where it was, and then sort confirmation and an exact location. Sounds sensible to me.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9514 on: July 17, 2017, 03:10:14 pm »
Okay, so he knew roughly where it was, and then sort confirmation and an exact location. Sounds sensible to me.

Fair enough but that can't be the only revelation he discovers at the Citadel, surely?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9515 on: July 17, 2017, 03:14:34 pm »
Fair enough but that can't be the only revelation he discovers at the Citadel, surely?
I don't know, it's probably the most important.. I suppose he'll probably find a cure for Jorah.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #9516 on: July 17, 2017, 03:15:13 pm »

Spoiler
I presume he'll discover how to forge Valyrian steel too
[close]

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #9517 on: July 17, 2017, 07:10:54 pm »
Can we send this young lady into the fray?

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9518 on: July 17, 2017, 07:25:55 pm »
I quite understand the need to quicken things up and tie up all the loose ends. But I think D&D are just desperate to shock or create drama and frankly, some of it is Bold and the beautiful level. For example, Jon's parentage was one of the most debated plot points in the storyline and the ultimate reveal was so thoughtlessly done that people thought Ned boned his sister. It's quite striking that GRRM has had little to do with the show since about season 4 and the quality has deteriorated significantly since then. The sheer strength of the source material is the only thing that keeps GOT interesting anymore and that's despite D&D, not due to them.
:o

People actually thought that? Thought those scenes were fine for what it's worth.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #9519 on: July 17, 2017, 09:03:16 pm »
Spoiler
I have to say the scene Arya had with the Lannister soldiers was one of my favourite parts, if only for the beautiful acting of Masie. If it had been someone other than Ed Sheeran I doubt so many would be complaining about it. Arya has turned so much towards the dark side now, its always enjoyable to see a touch vulnerability from her once in a while. It was also a good pointer for her that not everyone who fights for the Lannisters is bad. Loved Daenerys scene when she returns to Dragonstone, and those dragons flying around the castle, all of a sudden the world has become a lot smaller.
[close]
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"