Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3472531 times)

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #50240 on: August 27, 2019, 09:52:52 am »
Watched Once Upon A Time at the cinema a few evenings ago & whilst its a solid enjoyable film it is quite
forgettable (apart from the ending). Not his worst film but definitely not as good as Pulp, IB, Django & Kill Bill 1 which I class as his top 4 films.
Brad Pitts character was excellent & the best part of the film. Leo was equally great in parts especially the western scene with the young girl, great range showed by him.

my thoughts exactly on the film.

Tarantino does what he does well, puts you in the world he's creating very well. hard to do in films, many tv shows need seasons to bring that across...he pays attention to little things that aid that

I liked it. But not his best film no
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50241 on: August 27, 2019, 01:23:25 pm »
Done the same for my local cineworld, cant wait.

Saw T2 a few years back, only person in the theatre. Fucking great experience. Enjoy fellas
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #50242 on: August 27, 2019, 03:05:30 pm »
Yes mate but I think it’s on countrywide

Pretty tempted by that  8)

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50243 on: August 27, 2019, 03:54:50 pm »
The Odeon in town is only £6 now, kind of makes having the Limitless membership pointless

Online surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50244 on: August 28, 2019, 04:28:51 pm »
Watched 'Nightcrawler (2014)' last night

Absolutely bloody brilliant movie.  Gyllenhaal was just amazing as the creepy stringer Lou.  Lou has been described as an anti-hero but i saw him as an outright villain.  A despicable character and total sociopath.

Real edge of the seat stuff at times and a very original screenplay which rightly got Oscar nominated.  Seen critics likening Gyllenhaal's performance to that of DeNiro in Taxi driver.

Sends a powerful message too about the connection between unethical journalism and what Joe Public wants to see when they turn on the morning news.

10/10 - It really was that good.

Yeah excellent movie.

So much CGI infused,  repackaged fare these days.  A well-crafted movie stands out so clearly. 

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50245 on: August 28, 2019, 04:43:10 pm »
The Odeon in town is only £6 now, kind of makes having the Limitless membership pointless

Yeah i couldn't believe it when I booked The Terminator double bill and we got charged 6 quid each. Well good that is :)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #50246 on: August 28, 2019, 05:48:31 pm »
It looks so good and dark.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fHWlNtO82x0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fHWlNtO82x0</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #50247 on: August 28, 2019, 06:02:37 pm »
I was reading The Irishman is nearly 4 hours long.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50248 on: August 28, 2019, 06:08:06 pm »
It looks so good and dark.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fHWlNtO82x0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fHWlNtO82x0</a>
Fucking hell that looks good. Will this just be a solely film and nothing else afterwards?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #50249 on: August 28, 2019, 06:22:43 pm »
Think we’ll be wanting more of him as the Joker after this, it looks awesome.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #50250 on: August 28, 2019, 06:23:05 pm »
It was made as a standalone, originally. Fuck knows with DC though.

Looks brilliant.
AHA!

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50251 on: August 28, 2019, 06:53:54 pm »
Joker looks like its gonna be nice and dark.

Slightly off topic.  Just read De Niro says his role in Joker plays homage to his character from Scorsese's "King of Comedy (1983)"

Seems this movie was a box office flop but is very well received by critics.  90 odd percent on RT.

So, King Of Comedy.  Is it recommended?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50252 on: August 28, 2019, 07:48:19 pm »
Joker looks tremendous. Joaquin going for that Oscar!

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #50253 on: August 28, 2019, 10:31:21 pm »

Slightly off topic.  Just read De Niro says his role in Joker plays homage to his character from Scorsese's "King of Comedy (1983)"

Seems this movie was a box office flop but is very well received by critics.  90 odd percent on RT.

Great film. Hard to explain without spoilers, but there's loads of bits of it you've seen referenced elsewhere.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50254 on: August 28, 2019, 11:09:03 pm »

Definitely, King of Comedy was the obvious reference in the trailer. Great film.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50255 on: August 29, 2019, 01:59:12 am »
Perfect role for Joaquin Phoenix, no? Looks promising from the trailer and something different from the previous versions of the Joker. He did some research into people suffering from “pathological laughter” and incorporated it into his role.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #50256 on: August 29, 2019, 09:02:31 am »
Don't really know what to make of OUATIH. The ending was brilliant and made me laugh out loud several times but the two hours twenty to get to that point was a mixed bag with some really good, memorable scenes and some very forgettable scenes that bored me to be honest.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50257 on: August 30, 2019, 10:02:34 am »
SO SO glad my lad dragged me to the Terminator double bill last night.  4 hrs flew by and I absolutely loved it.  So much better watching movies at the cinema with no distractions.

Watching them both you realise just how many iconic scenes and cool moments there are.

I 'd say the truck explosion in the original movie was as good as any explosion without CGI you'd see in the cinema today.  It's the bit where the Terminator Model 101 is chasing Sarah and Kyle.

I now realise just how good Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor was in T2.  Kick ass as well as being cool.  I'd say alongside Sigourney Weaver in Alien(s) they are the best female performances in an action film ever.

Set us up nicely for Terminator: Dark Fate in a few months

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50258 on: August 30, 2019, 12:19:42 pm »
I caught Hostiles on Netflix last night. Really good, better than I expected.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vJz5l5ru7ws" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vJz5l5ru7ws</a>
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 12:24:50 pm by soxfan »
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #50259 on: August 30, 2019, 04:41:36 pm »
One film mag were tweeting some stuff about the Joker last night and they were saying there is not one single Green screenshot in the film. which is a bit of a surprise even if it is an effect you don't notice like changing a street to look like it did in the time period the film is set.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #50260 on: August 30, 2019, 09:05:18 pm »
Apparently a Between Two Ferns movie coming :D :D :D :D

and a review of Joker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kozkmhIyP0I
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 06:25:50 pm by [new username under construction] »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50261 on: August 31, 2019, 09:43:31 pm »
Joker getting rave reviews. Can’t wait.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50262 on: August 31, 2019, 11:33:10 pm »
Still catching up on old movies. Spielberg's "Lincoln" last night. Daniel Day Lewis, Tommy Lee Jones, Sally Field, etc. Very deep cast. A little slow, but brilliantly acted. Great history lesson.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BqWfJG1tvZo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BqWfJG1tvZo</a>
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50263 on: September 1, 2019, 12:53:56 am »
I caught Hostiles on Netflix last night. Really good, better than I expected.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vJz5l5ru7ws" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vJz5l5ru7ws</a>

One of my favourites of recent years, Bale was incredible in it. Not sure why it went so under the radar at the time, both box office and awards wise

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #50264 on: September 1, 2019, 10:53:36 am »
OK I'm not one for comic book stuff and marvel or dc stuff but Joker looks amazing, think I'll wash the sour taste of OUATIH out of my mouth with Joker when it's out.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #50265 on: September 1, 2019, 10:55:36 am »
One of my favourites of recent years, Bale was incredible in it. Not sure why it went so under the radar at the time, both box office and awards wise

I love a western and this was dark, Moody and thoughtful. Will be watching it again now it is on Netflix, excellent performances all round.

Online stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50266 on: September 3, 2019, 04:38:59 pm »
my thoughts exactly on the film.

Tarantino does what he does well, puts you in the world he's creating very well. hard to do in films, many tv shows need seasons to bring that across...he pays attention to little things that aid that

I liked it. But not his best film no

Just seen it. Pretty much agree with this. I just felt it was a little over long at 2hrs 40.

P.S. Don’t mess with Brad Pitt.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2019, 04:59:03 pm by stjohns »

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #50267 on: September 4, 2019, 11:23:40 am »
Well I want to see it

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OjljgkCQv5c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OjljgkCQv5c</a>

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50268 on: September 4, 2019, 11:22:01 pm »
OK I'm not one for comic book stuff and marvel or dc stuff but Joker looks amazing, think I'll wash the sour taste of OUATIH out of my mouth with Joker when it's out.

I’m the same as you. Not really into comic books shows or films, but Joker looks great. You just know Phoenix will put everything into it.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #50269 on: September 5, 2019, 01:55:24 am »
Watched Once Upon A Time at the cinema a few evenings ago & whilst its a solid enjoyable film it is quite
forgettable (apart from the ending). Not his worst film but definitely not as good as Pulp, IB, Django & Kill Bill 1 which I class as his top 4 films.
Brad Pitts character was excellent & the best part of the film. Leo was equally great in parts especially the western scene with the young girl, great range showed by him.

I liked all the bits you liked but I didn't find it forgettable.

I think it's a film that's badly suffered from false expectations. Both the trailer and Tarantino's reputation for fast paced movies with snappy dialogue and gratuitous stylized violence worked against this film.

If you go in there with the expectation of a Kill Bill or a Django, you won't enjoy it.

There's almost nothing quite like it in Tarantino's oeuvre. Every other Tarantino film has been a genre piece. This has none of that - instead all of the genre elements are reference points for the time and place. All we have is two characters losing their relevance, a dream of a different time and place, and a palpable sense of loss.

The analysis that most rings true for me is that it's a movie about Tarantino reflecting on his mortality as a filmmaker. If it's true that he's got one more movie left in him, he's very much in the twilight of his career, and it's quite poignant to think about Rick Dalton as a representation of him. The interaction with the girl in particular supports this interpretation.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50270 on: September 5, 2019, 10:51:58 am »
Well I want to see it

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OjljgkCQv5c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OjljgkCQv5c</a>

I can't wait to see this, looks absolutely hilarious

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #50271 on: September 5, 2019, 11:17:15 am »
Just seen it. Pretty much agree with this. I just felt it was a little over long at 2hrs 40.

P.S. Don’t mess with Brad Pitt.

Speaking of Pitt. This looks tasty. Think the Guardian described it as an outer-space Apocalypse Now.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BsCNKuB93BA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BsCNKuB93BA</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50272 on: September 5, 2019, 11:20:47 am »
Speaking of Pitt. This looks tasty. Think the Guardian described it as an outer-space Apocalypse Now.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BsCNKuB93BA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BsCNKuB93BA</a>

This is my next watch as there is literally fuck all new I want to watch on the cinema at the Mo

Going on the 19th

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #50273 on: September 5, 2019, 06:59:35 pm »

Saw the trailer for this before OUATIH & it looked fantastic.

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50274 on: September 6, 2019, 07:45:28 am »
How long do we reckon before IT Chapter 2 starts popping up in the usual places?

Was about a week before a perfect rip of Chapter 1 popped up when it came out iirc ;D

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #50275 on: September 6, 2019, 09:29:14 am »
How long do we reckon before IT Chapter 2 starts popping up in the usual places?

Was about a week before a perfect rip of Chapter 1 popped up when it came out iirc ;D

I still haven't seen the first one. I loved the original but just couldn't get into this. Think I will give it another go. As for the release I will check to see if there's a date for the digital release as that's generally first.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50276 on: September 7, 2019, 10:49:44 pm »
Slight step back in time, but watching The Crying Game for the first time in a few years and.... How was that a surprise?

Plus Forest Whitaker's bowling action was terrible.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #50277 on: September 7, 2019, 11:09:06 pm »
Just watched Se7en.

What a film.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #50278 on: September 7, 2019, 11:39:02 pm »
We watched The Green Mile last night, still truly superb. Amazingly my 15 year old has it straight into his top twenty films on this one viewing. Normally he won't watch anything from the last century, so this is quite an honour for Tom hanks, up there with the Oscars I guess.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50279 on: September 8, 2019, 12:00:15 am »
We watched The Green Mile last night, still truly superb. Amazingly my 15 year old has it straight into his top twenty films on this one viewing. Normally he won't watch anything from the last century, so this is quite an honour for Tom hanks, up there with the Oscars I guess.
One of the greatest ever. Nobody will ever have more stone cold hits than Hanks again.