Author Topic: Stranger Things - Use Spoiler Tags  (Read 93934 times)

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
Stranger Things - Use Spoiler Tags
« on: July 16, 2016, 05:14:52 am »
Stranger Things is excellent!!

It's a mix of...80s influences, leaning heavily on the likes of King, Spielberg, Hooper and Carpenter*...the only thing missing is the location of Derry Maine. ;D

Up to now, from what I've seen, this is as good anything Netflix has done to date.

The cast is great. Ryer is good, no, great as the mother whose son is missing, a compassionate and strong performance....the best I've ever seen from her.. The other main adult lead is David Harbour as police chief Hopper, who delivers some pitch-perfect world weary cop. The stand out stars though are the young actors, they are believable, funny and act just like kids, they look real. There's also a sense of the Goonies about them.

There's also solid acting from the actors who play the teenage roles, but the four actors playing the younger kids are the stand out.

*I checked...Close Encounters. E.T. Jaws. The Thing. IT. Stand By Me.Evil Dead. The Goonies and Poltergeist in the few I've watched.

:wave

It's like what Super 8 tried to be, but much better and lasts for hours.

Welldone Netflix.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:52:01 pm by John C »
:D

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Re: Stranger Things - Season 2 Out Now - Use Spoiler Tags
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 05:51:53 am »
Been looking forward to the show may binge watch it tonight.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 10:28:03 am »
I liked the opening two episodes. The music is brilliant. The child actors are excellent, very well assembled cast especially the kid with no teeth, loved him. It has a great 80s feel to it which can be sometimes hard to capture.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 03:40:17 pm »
I liked the opening two episodes. The music is brilliant. The child actors are excellent, very well assembled cast especially the kid with no teeth, loved him. It has a great 80s feel to it which can be sometimes hard to capture.

Through three episodes, all of the above is very much still true. It is brilliant thus far.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 04:22:17 pm »
Felt more 70's to me and yep, the acting of the kids was superior to the adults. Funny you should say that as I wasn't sure if it was just me :)

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 06:41:10 pm »
Felt more 70's to me and yep, the acting of the kids was superior to the adults. Funny you should say that as I wasn't sure if it was just me :)

The kids are great, especially the one who plays Mike, and the girl who plays Eleven is amazing. This is like a mix of "Stand By Me" (the film[I know the short story has a different title]), "Tommyknockers" (the book) and "Half-Life" (the videogame).

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 07:10:42 pm »
The kids are great, especially the one who plays Mike, and the girl who plays Eleven is amazing. This is like a mix of "Stand By Me" (the film[I know the short story has a different title]), "Tommyknockers" (the book) and "Half-Life" (the videogame).

Dustin is the real MVP :) But yeah, they're all great.

Didn't really pick up on the Half Life thing at the time, but that's a good shout too.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 07:46:35 pm »
Thanks for the thread, K....op could be better like. ;D...I was going to start a thread it last night, but I put on another episode.

This is brilliant and Ryder is exceptional...the way she plays the unhinged mother who thinks she's losing her mind and the feelings shown over the course of the series is palpably....heartbreaking.

I've been building this up in my mind for a while as I waited for it to start and was worried that I'd be disappointed with it not being as good as I hoped...it's all that and more.

The mix of..Monster Squad,The Goonies and....for me. Close Encounters allied to all the cultural references that are dropped and the  Carpenter synth opening credits are all great, those credits replete with 80's blood red neon, it's just..cool. Yet, it's not reliant upon homage, it's still fresh with loss,angst, love,  all elementsthat  come together in a narrative that is gripping, mysterious and yet transcends all that to become something quite special and original.

The best new series from the last few years for me.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 08:05:28 pm »
Yet, it's not reliant upon homage

Very similar to a good 'homage' episode of Community. You know they're referencing things but can't pin point what it is, it just nails the feel.

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 09:01:35 pm »
just finished episode 3, hugely enjoyable. the latex wall effect is still creepy as fuck
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 09:12:37 pm »
Joy Division's Atmosphere is used in episode 4  8)

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 12:16:28 am »
3 episodes down. Again, the soundtrack and cinematography in this is fucking ace.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 01:34:09 am »
Just binged watched the whole series totally brilliant enjoyed every minute of it, they better make a 2nd series.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 01:40:49 am »
Just binged watched the whole series totally brilliant enjoyed every minute of it, they better make a 2nd series.

Spoiler
The magic of the first season was everyone slowly unraveling what was going on, I don't see how a second season would work?
[close]

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 03:19:22 am »
5 episodes in, definitely my favorite new show since True Detective's first season.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 03:51:58 am »

I did that yesterday too  ;D It was fantastic, start to finish. I went on the world interweb and it looks very much like there will be a second series.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 09:01:56 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/b9EkMc79ZSU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/b9EkMc79ZSU</a>

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2016, 09:53:11 am »
Only a few minutes in but this synthy 80's score is fucking glorious.

Online Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2016, 05:38:39 pm »
Well that was fucking boss.

Spoiler
so second series on how to rescue El?
[close]
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2016, 09:35:13 pm »
I'm of the opinion that there is no need to make another series of this, just leave it alone

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 12:34:09 am »
I'm of the opinion that there is no need to make another series of this, just leave it alone
Or set up a complete new place with new characters for season 2? Perhaps set in late 80s or even early 90s? I would personally like to continue exploring the "Upside Down" in some way at least.

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 01:56:45 am »
Thought it fell apart at some point around episode 5. I had been loving it till then but I found the last couple of episodes a struggle to finish.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 08:55:25 am »
3 episodes in so far, it's pretty good.
As others have said, the score is excellent.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 09:20:19 am »
I have watched up to the 4th episode. Love the homage to 80's, love its soundtrack, the little guys are funny, not so sure about the whole monster thing (comes with the territory, I know). 1st episode was really good.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 09:24:32 am by Yiannis »
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2016, 12:40:01 pm »
Just starting it now based on this thread ;D

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2016, 12:43:54 pm »
Did 7 on the bounce yesterday, was gunna do the last one but I was fucked after a heavy weekend and didn't want that to continue into Monday.

It's been excellent throughout, although it's certainly not without it's flaws but as some have said, this maybe just adds to the overall charm of the show. Really looking forward to getting back after the gym later and watching the finale.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2016, 01:10:28 pm »
Is this on the UK Netflix too?

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2016, 01:27:31 pm »
Yep...it's on UK Netflix
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Online stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2016, 01:42:05 pm »
Is this on the UK Netflix too?

yep, just switched it on to find out if the hype is as good as the reality!

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2016, 03:17:56 pm »
Yep...it's on UK Netflix

yep, just switched it on to find out if the hype is as good as the reality!

Brilliant - cheers fellas.

I'll get started tomorrow.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2016, 12:10:30 am »
Five episodes in. Some brilliant performances by the kids (11 in particular) & Winona Ryder has been outstanding

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2016, 06:10:54 am »
Watched the first two episodes last night based on what people have said on here.

Been really impressed. A cross between The X-Files, The Goonies, Close Encounters, E.T, Second Sight (Computer Game), IT

Some great Characters - got a real 'grainy' feel to it - too many shows these days are pristine and squeaky clean and fairly irritating. This looks 'real' and I'm interested to see where the stories and character development lead.

The Chief is a cracking character, the kids are suitably geeky/annoying/irritating/nasty so there are some good blends and storylines to be had there in coming series (if they do them)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline BossThaLa82

• Main Stander
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2016, 11:44:52 am »
Watched the first episode last night it's ok wouldn't rave about it though.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2016, 11:46:16 am »
Please don't give anything away (I'm five episodes in) but please tell me it wraps everything up properly?

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2016, 11:50:41 am »
Please don't give anything away (I'm five episodes in) but please tell me it wraps everything up properly?
No idea how to say this so going to put it in a spoiler it just in case...
Spoiler
They wrap everything up pretty well but leave it wide fucking open for a 2nd series!
[close]

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2016, 12:47:59 pm »

Read Titi's spoiler - it doesn't give anything away, and it is spot on.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2016, 01:09:47 pm »
Watched the first episode last night it's ok wouldn't rave about it though.

It does develop quite nicely. I agree episode one is just so so and a bit clunky and naff at times in all respects - storyline, dramatic impact, acting. However, we're up to the end of episode 4 and it improves quite markedly in all those aspects and soon finds the level the makers were clearly aiming for

Spoiler
which gives it an authenticity that belies how preposterous it all is  :)
[close]

Such that all told it's made for really enjoyable viewing. The kids are superb as is Wynona and the police chief. Looking forward to the rest. Hope it goes on to fulfill its promise.

:)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 01:35:42 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2016, 01:11:14 pm »
Read Titi's spoiler - it doesn't give anything away, and it is spot on.
What did you make of it buddy? Overall I really enjoyed it although it certainly wasn't without it's flaws.

I thought Wynona's performance was pitch perfect as the frantic mother. The other characters were almost universally excellent, the Chief especially....

Spoiler
Him going off with the two men in black at the end was really intriguing I thought. Was he off to pay the piper? Was he reporting back to another agency? Personally I'm thinking the later or maybe hoping is a better word?
[close]

The kids were good two, especially the leading pair....but that brings me to the biggest flaw in the show....

Spoiler
It's basically a LotR's Eagles issue. The girl could literally have killed the beastie right from the get go....and every other fucker for that matter. Some will say she was fragile, wanted to live in our world, got exhausted using her powers etc....but she killed it at the end so could've done that at any time.
[close]

If anyone says yeah well, love will set you free init, I will laugh in their general direction! ;D ;D ;D ;D :wave

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2016, 01:25:54 pm »
What did you make of it buddy? Overall I really enjoyed it although it certainly wasn't without it's flaws.

I thought Wynona's performance was pitch perfect as the frantic mother. The other characters were almost universally excellent, the Chief especially....

Spoiler
Him going off with the two men in black at the end was really intriguing I thought. Was he off to pay the piper? Was he reporting back to another agency? Personally I'm thinking the later or maybe hoping is a better word?
[close]

The kids were good two, especially the leading pair....but that brings me to the biggest flaw in the show....

Spoiler
It's basically a LotR's Eagles issue. The girl could literally have killed the beastie right from the get go....and every other fucker for that matter. Some will say she was fragile, wanted to live in our world, got exhausted using her powers etc....but she killed it at the end so could've done that at any time.
[close]

If anyone says yeah well, love will set you free init, I will laugh in their general direction! ;D ;D ;D ;D :wave

Spoiler
Well, the thing with Eleven is that she sacrificed herself to kill the beast at the end. Sure, we saw the Eggos the Chief left her, so she is (probably) alive in some way, but she didn't know she would survive like that - she had to destroy herself to destroy the beastie. She had finally just started living and finally had friends, and as characterization goes this is a pretty brilliant element to have for kids that age - it's really vitally important to them, so it rings true. And the love angle was handled really well, too - I don't know if you watched or read "The Elfstones of Shannara" (it was the MTV series last year, but it was a much better book from the early 80's), but this resolution reminded me of that one, sort of. Without her sacrifice it would have seemed cheap, but I thought the payoff was excellent.

I think the men in black wanted to debrief the Chief - I don't know how much license Matthew Modine had to be running his experiment and I could see the government just wanting to talk to the Chief and find out what he knows - also, we may get a flashback in Season 2 to that conversation, as it might include something about a gateway somewhere else that they need the Chief's help in dispatching. That poor kid at the end at the sink had no fucking luck whatsoever  :P

I wasn't as enamoured with Winona's performance as everyone else - her eyes were sort of out of control half the time and her delivery of the lines weren't great, but it didn't bother me because I've always loved her.
[close]

You can laugh, but love WILL set you free  8)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2016, 01:30:19 pm »
Episode 1 looks decent.