Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire  (Read 42223 times)

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #160 on: May 28, 2012, 11:17:22 am »

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #161 on: May 28, 2012, 11:48:40 am »
Season 3 is going to be amazing. Red Wedding though :(

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sn2l2_v6Ur8?version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sn2l2_v6Ur8?version=3</a>

That will be season 4 with the splitting of season 3 into 2.

Rains of Castamere was sung by Bronn and the Lannister men during the episode Blackwater, and in the end credits. Fucking boss.

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: May 28, 2012, 01:50:24 pm »
Spoiler
If done right that bit is going to be hard as fuck to watch. My friend who hasn't read the books still hasn't gotten over Ned's death hahaha, poor suckers have no idea what's in store for them.

[close]

Spoiler
Robb has already cemented his place as a series favourite among fans. Seeing him get fucked up will be hard for some to take. Also seeing Catelyn go insane watching her son (and the last Stark, so she believes) get killed in front of her and then clawing her face before her throat gets slit will be incredible. I hope the TV series stays true to the books Red Wedding.

[close]

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: May 28, 2012, 02:04:16 pm »
Just started AFFC a couple of days ago.

Someone please tell me that there is a date for the book after ADWD and it isn't 6 years away

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: May 28, 2012, 02:06:51 pm »
Just started AFFC a couple of days ago.

Someone please tell me that there is a date for the book after ADWD and it isn't 6 years away

There is not. He said 2014 is possible, but he's making no promises. Very worrying

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #165 on: May 28, 2012, 09:10:25 pm »

This is amazing, haha

There is not. He said 2014 is possible, but he's making no promises. Very worrying

I'm genuinely worried that he might not be around to finish the series. Seen him recently doing interviews and to be blunt, he's really quite fat and getting on a bit. Not a good combination.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Djimis Telescopic Leg

• Kopite
« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2012, 01:13:37 am »
I'm genuinely worried that he might not be around to finish the series. Seen him recently doing interviews and to be blunt, he's really quite fat and getting on a bit. Not a good combination.
He isn't that old. Turns 64 later this year and must be in reasonable health to travel around for conventions and the like as much as he does. Think his odds on living to finish the series are pretty good really.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: May 29, 2012, 03:12:01 am »
He isn't that old. Turns 64 later this year and must be in reasonable health to travel around for conventions and the like as much as he does. Think his odds on living to finish the series are pretty good really.

People slow down creatively quite a bit in their later years though, and his books are each quite massive undertakings.

Also as mentioned he's quite overweight. I don't know about his personal health history, but that will lead to a plethora of problems for most people, particularly when they get older.

What I worry most is that he doesn't realize himself (and fair enough) that he doesn't have forever to write these, and will meander on in the style of the last two books and take 5 years to write each.

I'm quite certain that if he takes as long to write The Winds of Winter as he did A Dance with Dragons, he won't get the series done.

• Kopite
« Reply #168 on: May 29, 2012, 10:39:14 am »
There are plenty of old overweight people. Brian Blessed is 75.

My prediction is we'll see book 7 around 2019. Presumably he knows how the whole thing ends, so once he gets the Meereenese Knot sorted out (if he'd just killed off Daenerys he could have had the series finished by now, AND I wouldn't have to google the correct spelling of her name every time I write about her on here) the rest of the plot should be easy. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic.

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: May 29, 2012, 10:48:57 am »
Apparantly George Martin has written down what the main points for the rest of the plot will be so should he die, whoever picks the book up after him to finish it off (I think he's already asked someone in case it happens but I'm not sure) will have the source material they need to stay true to his vision.

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: May 29, 2012, 11:09:16 am »
Apparantly George Martin has written down what the main points for the rest of the plot will be so should he die, whoever picks the book up after him to finish it off (I think he's already asked someone in case it happens but I'm not sure) will have the source material they need to stay true to his vision.

He said that in an interview; something about fans not needing to worry if he is hit by a truck or something. I think the HBO writers know the plot.
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: May 29, 2012, 11:20:20 am »
Oh I'm sure he will be leaving notes and a successor if he doesn't finish it himself. It's just not quite the same.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: May 29, 2012, 11:30:44 am »
He said that in an interview; something about fans not needing to worry if he is hit by a truck or something. I think the HBO writers know the plot.

Yeah, I'm sure Benioff and Weiss have said they know how the story ends. I wonder if they're dropping some subtle hints into the show?

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Buzz Killington

• Winner of RAWK's sexiest adolescent, as awarded by the Rt. Hon. CJ Parker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: May 29, 2012, 09:10:25 pm »
They know how the story ends but iirc I read somewhere that he doesn't want any other author to carry on with the work if he dies.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #174 on: June 20, 2012, 10:13:13 am »
Halfway through a Storm of Swords, the Red Wedding. Oh My God! Didn't see any of that coming at all! I was genuinely shocked when I was reading it!

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2012, 10:24:13 am »
They know how the story ends but iirc I read somewhere that he doesn't want any other author to carry on with the work if he dies.

Well that'd be a massive buzz kill ;D

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #176 on: June 20, 2012, 07:48:07 pm »
Reading AFFC at the moment. It's good I reckon. After all the stuff I read about it I've been pleasantly surprised. Ok there's nothing massive going on like there is in the previous three, but It's an awesome insight into characters we haven't read a lot of before. Cersei, Jaime, Brienne, Sam etc. I also quite like the goings on in Dorne.

Dunno about anyone else, but reading of him in the books every so often, I really wish Rhaegar wasn't dead. Sounds like such an awesome character.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #177 on: June 20, 2012, 08:13:26 pm »
Reading AFFC at the moment. It's good I reckon. After all the stuff I read about it I've been pleasantly surprised. Ok there's nothing massive going on like there is in the previous three, but It's an awesome insight into characters we haven't read a lot of before. Cersei, Jaime, Brienne, Sam etc. I also quite like the goings on in Dorne.

Dunno about anyone else, but reading of him in the books every so often, I really wish Rhaegar wasn't dead. Sounds like such an awesome character.
Have a look in here.Some interesting thought's about Rhaegar

People do take this too serious though.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/775590-rhaegar-targaryen-would-have-been-a-terrible-king
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #178 on: June 20, 2012, 08:44:11 pm »
Have a look in here.Some interesting thought's about Rhaegar

People do take this too serious though.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/775590-rhaegar-targaryen-would-have-been-a-terrible-king

Completely disagree with that, like a lot of this series Rhaegar's fate is supposed to be bittersweet. The best people never do well, end up dead too  soon or generally just get fucked over by the more ruthless people.

What we've learned from the people who knew Rhaegar best was just how decent, fair and just and not a fucking nutjob like most of the Targ's. I think he wouldve been a great ruler.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: June 20, 2012, 08:48:25 pm »

500 pages into it myself, have really enjoyed Jaime, Cersei, and Sansa's chapters so far, but Brienne is definitely stealing the show for me. The Dorne stuff is ok, better than the Iron Island chapters anyway.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #180 on: June 20, 2012, 08:56:44 pm »
Completely disagree with that, like a lot of this series Rhaegar's fate is supposed to be bittersweet. The best people never do well, end up dead too  soon or generally just get fucked over by the more ruthless people.

What we've learned from the people who knew Rhaegar best was just how decent, fair and just and not a fucking nutjob like most of the Targ's. I think he wouldve been a great ruler.
What did Cersei tell Ned."When you play the game of throne's you win or you die.That's a recurring theme throughtout the five book's.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #181 on: June 20, 2012, 09:19:57 pm »
What did Cersei tell Ned."When you play the game of throne's you win or you die.That's a recurring theme throughtout the five book's.

Definitely, it's very bleak and depressing like a lot of the stuff in the books (how many young children get their heads caved in? :( ) but unfortunately probably very close to the truth in that type environment and era.

Anyone who makes decisions with their hearts instead of their heads usually end up dead.

It's why I think everyone's idea about 'good people' like Jon or Dany prosperously leading Westeros at the very end may be way off. It's just as likely to be another enormous arsehole like Ramsey or someone 

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #182 on: June 20, 2012, 09:30:06 pm »
Definitely, it's very bleak and depressing like a lot of the stuff in the books (how many young children get their heads caved in? :( ) but unfortunately probably very close to the truth in that type environment and era.

Anyone who makes decisions with their hearts instead of their heads usually end up dead.

It's why I think everyone's idea about 'good people' like Jon or Dany prosperously leading Westeros at the very end may be way off. It's just as likely to be another enormous arsehole like Ramsey or someone
The Red Wedding is a perfect example.Everyone is amazed at that outcome,yet it tie's in perfectly with the general theme of the book's.Everything is politic's,and only good politician's live.

• Kopite
« Reply #183 on: June 20, 2012, 11:02:56 pm »
Anyone tried the new Game Of Thrones video game? Gets pretty mediocre reviews so I'm going to wait till in it's in bargain bins before picking it up. Or should I just not bother at all?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: June 20, 2012, 11:07:44 pm »
Anyone tried the new Game Of Thrones video game? Gets pretty mediocre reviews so I'm going to wait till in it's in bargain bins before picking it up. Or should I just not bother at all?

I had it to review, it was very poor. The plot was apparently very good but I didn't get to the end, nowhere near, in fact, as the actual gameplay was so lame - miles behind the likes of Skyrim or The Witcher 2, which are similar-ish RPGs in many respects. Despite the plot being decent, the script was dire and it's way short of the necessary quality to deserve a GoT licence really.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

• Kopite
« Reply #185 on: June 20, 2012, 11:23:40 pm »
I had it to review, it was very poor. The plot was apparently very good but I didn't get to the end, nowhere near, in fact, as the actual gameplay was so lame - miles behind the likes of Skyrim or The Witcher 2, which are similar-ish RPGs in many respects. Despite the plot being decent, the script was dire and it's way short of the necessary quality to deserve a GoT licence really.
Shame. I did watch some of the cutscenes and think the script was shite but the plot had potential. Heard the combat system was similar to KOTOR (one of my favourite ever games) so had high hopes for it. Hopefully someday someone will make a decent game out of it, perhaps based on Robert's Rebellion. There's a Westeros mod for Crusader Kings 2 that's supposedly pretty good which is tempting me to purchase it.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #186 on: June 21, 2012, 11:06:31 pm »
Just coming towards the end of the ASOS Part 2. Fuck me I can't wait for the next two series, gonna be some absolutely epic scenes.

Disappointed to see that Jon Snow isn't a POV character in the next book, thought his story in ASOS has been brilliant and one of the most interesting.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: June 21, 2012, 11:45:15 pm »
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/8080/flagtex.png

GoT inspired LFC banner for fans of the series.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:46:47 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline lazzathered

• Anny Roader
« Reply #188 on: June 22, 2012, 12:29:42 am »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #189 on: June 22, 2012, 11:52:24 am »
House Scouse would've been better ;)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: June 22, 2012, 02:01:10 pm »
House Scouse would've been better ;)
Thought of it, but the name is already taken by some fashion company it seems. A bit of a camp fashion company at that.

Offline Buzz Killington

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: June 22, 2012, 04:46:27 pm »
I just want there to be a Stark reunion at the end. The Wolves will come again and all that, one can hope.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #192 on: June 22, 2012, 05:25:29 pm »
Storm of Swords finished...... WOW!!

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #193 on: June 23, 2012, 09:28:43 am »
Storm of Swords finished...... WOW!!

Same. Amazing book.

That ending was mental.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: June 23, 2012, 10:00:41 am »
I just want there to be a Stark reunion at the end. The Wolves will come again and all that, one can hope.

Probably posted this before already, but Book 6 (previously book 2 before the series got bloated way beyond original planning) was originally entitled "A Time for Wolves." I'm not sure that there'll be a Stark reunion but I imagine we will be seeing some of them at least getting some back at last.

I'd be disappointed (and I think I will be) if the Walder Frey doesn't have an incredibly painful death awaiting him. Ideally I think it would have to come at the hands of Arya. He gets another new wife and is looking forward to creating more little Freys. Then *BAM!* Arya inflicts some fate worse than death learned from the Faceless Men. Nymeria then strolls in and devours his remains.

Offline Buzz Killington

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: June 23, 2012, 12:12:36 pm »
Probably posted this before already, but Book 6 (previously book 2 before the series got bloated way beyond original planning) was originally entitled "A Time for Wolves." I'm not sure that there'll be a Stark reunion but I imagine we will be seeing some of them at least getting some back at last.

I'd be disappointed (and I think I will be) if the Walder Frey doesn't have an incredibly painful death awaiting him. Ideally I think it would have to come at the hands of Arya. He gets another new wife and is looking forward to creating more little Freys. Then *BAM!* Arya inflicts some fate worse than death learned from the Faceless Men. Nymeria then strolls in and devours his remains.
Spoiler
Aye, I'm hoping there will be one because of what Jojen said.

"The wolves will come again," said Jojen solemnly.
"And how would you be knowing, boy?"
"I dreamed it."

Although, knowing Martin they'll all meet up.. In the Winterfell Crypts. Hopefully, Arya is badass although I reckon she might be the next Stark to die!
[close]

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: June 23, 2012, 12:57:31 pm »

Think the only reunion that i'd be gutted didn't happen would be Jon and Arya. They both need it more than anyone.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #197 on: June 23, 2012, 02:17:45 pm »
I'm sure we all know by now that Martin isn't a sentimentalist when it comes to killing of any of his character's.I'll be amazed if all the remaining Stark's meet up again,but like Bob,I'm hoping for Jon and Arya to do so.

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: June 23, 2012, 03:08:32 pm »

sorry rhaegar was a fucking c*nt

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: June 23, 2012, 03:15:36 pm »

so sweeeeet. smashed the fucking twat  8)