Author Topic: The Hip Hop Thread  (Read 790830 times)

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Hip Hop Thread
« Reply #9400 on: July 4, 2019, 04:11:07 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gTJLwWRfgGk&amp;t=25s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gTJLwWRfgGk&amp;t=25s</a>

Genius did a breakdown of J.Cole's Love Yourz, my favourite track ever.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #9401 on: July 5, 2019, 03:55:48 pm »
By the way. Anyone have any good sites to download from? Gangstaraptalk and viperial have gone to shit.
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9402 on: July 5, 2019, 04:31:41 pm »
First listen to that rotd 3 is weak as shit

Not for me

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #9403 on: July 5, 2019, 07:51:58 pm »
J Cole has an issue with beat selection
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9404 on: July 22, 2019, 10:24:28 pm »
Anyone listened to Lost Tapes 2? Nas’ beat selection will always be a problem.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9405 on: July 25, 2019, 02:42:48 pm »
Is it just me or has this been one of the worst years for hip hop in a long time?

Lost Tapes 2 was poor, Big K.R.I.T.’s new one is bad, Dreamville was ok and so on and so on.

Don’t know if it’s because I’ve gotten older but it just doesn’t feel like it’s hitting me like it used to.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9406 on: July 25, 2019, 02:43:35 pm »
Lost Tapes 2 isn't an album though.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9407 on: July 25, 2019, 04:43:16 pm »
Lost Tapes 2 isn't an album though.

I know what you mean but compare it to the first Lost Tapes and it’s a shocker.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9408 on: July 25, 2019, 05:35:02 pm »
I know what you mean but compare it to the first Lost Tapes and it’s a shocker.

But that's why you wouldn't compare it. Lost Tapes, was an actual album as those songs were meant to be released on 1 album together, but they leaked and Nas decided to put it out the way he did.

This is just a collection of songs from the last 15 years that didn't make any of his albums.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9409 on: July 25, 2019, 05:40:08 pm »
But that's why you wouldn't compare it. Lost Tapes, was an actual album as those songs were meant to be released on 1 album together, but they leaked and Nas decided to put it out the way he did.

This is just a collection of songs from the last 15 years that didn't make any of his albums.

Fair enough. Some songs are better left locked away to never see the light of day, though.  ;D

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9410 on: July 25, 2019, 06:47:02 pm »
Is it just me or has this been one of the worst years for hip hop in a long time?

Lost Tapes 2 was poor, Big K.R.I.T.’s new one is bad, Dreamville was ok and so on and so on.

Don’t know if it’s because I’ve gotten older but it just doesn’t feel like it’s hitting me like it used to.
Think you may have a bit of a point. Krit's one is really disappointing (though I think it's because he hasn't produced it himself, for whatever reason), haven't got Lost Tapes 2 but the couple of tracks I've heard didn't sound up to much. On the flipside I really like Dave's album, Igor has some amazing production, and the Freddie Gibbs/Madlib one is great, even if I don't think I quite like it as much as Pinata. Malibu Ken's a lot of fun too, although I'm not sure it's strictly "hip hop."

Definitely not a great year though, no.

I wonder about the age thing too, by the way! Although I think a lot of it's just that rap isn't as good as it used to be. That's the line I'm running with anyway...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9411 on: July 25, 2019, 07:11:13 pm »
I don't listen to albums unless they're from a certain generation, there's too much music to consume, so I'll listen to a few tracks here and there. Albums aren't what they used to be. The only albums I'll listen to thoroughly are from the likes of Nas, Kendrick, Jay Z, Eminem [if it's more like Kamikaze] etc

I don't mind the new age of rap it serves a purpose [sounds good, good for the club,driving,etc]. Sometimes im in different moods so I am not always keen on listening to deep meaning rap, sometimes a man just needs a good beat and something to vibe to :D

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9412 on: July 25, 2019, 07:46:31 pm »
I don't listen to albums unless they're from a certain generation, there's too much music to consume, so I'll listen to a few tracks here and there. Albums aren't what they used to be. The only albums I'll listen to thoroughly are from the likes of Nas, Kendrick, Jay Z, Eminem [if it's more like Kamikaze] etc

I don't mind the new age of rap it serves a purpose [sounds good, good for the club,driving,etc]. Sometimes im in different moods so I am not always keen on listening to deep meaning rap, sometimes a man just needs a good beat and something to vibe to :D
Dunno if I can even vibe to much of the new stuff personally. Some of the beats are ok, but most of the emceeing is just...shit. And don't get me started on fucking Autotune, which seems to be in 90% of what passes for "rap" these days. Whoever invented that should be taken out back and shot, together with anyone who's ever decided to put it in any of their music. Dickheads, the lot of them.

Christ, I sound old  ;D

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9413 on: July 31, 2019, 08:34:55 am »
Never been his biggest fan but that new Chance album is horrific.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #9414 on: July 31, 2019, 01:49:11 pm »
Big K.R.I.T.’s new one is bad

Whoa whoa whoa. Really? I have been listening to it straight through for a couple weeks. Absolutely love it.

If you have only given it one listen or so, I highly suggest you go back to it and give it another chance.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9415 on: July 31, 2019, 03:55:05 pm »
Whoa whoa whoa. Really? I have been listening to it straight through for a couple weeks. Absolutely love it.

If you have only given it one listen or so, I highly suggest you go back to it and give it another chance.

I’ll give it another whirl as I gave it about 2 listens but it just felt like such a drop off from his last album which I loved.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9416 on: August 11, 2019, 05:28:37 pm »
Pusha T is the best rapper about at the moment. Daytona is a classic and he’s killed every feature he’s done this year.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #9417 on: August 13, 2019, 04:44:05 am »
Been listening to this for the last 2 weeks

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/kota_the_friend-foto

This, Freddie Gibbs and the Big KRIT album are my favourite 3 releases this year.

Id give Kota a go if you haven't, he has a bit of a Chance thing going on without being a gospel singer. Really love the album.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9418 on: August 25, 2019, 04:59:25 pm »
Been on a Mobb Deep binge the past week.

Prodigy in the 90s was one of the best rappers alive.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #9419 on: August 26, 2019, 01:49:58 am »
Been on a Mobb Deep binge the past week.

Prodigy in the 90s was one of the best rappers alive.

His rhymes on Infamous and Hell on Earth are as good as anyone's. Love Mobb.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9420 on: August 30, 2019, 08:14:37 pm »
New Pusha T album on the way completely produced by Kanye again. I’m expecting another classic, the new song with Lauryn Hill is great.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9421 on: August 30, 2019, 08:35:47 pm »
New Pusha T album on the way completely produced by Kanye again. I’m expecting another classic, the new song with Lauryn Hill is great.
Great news, Andy mate. Have you checked out the new Rapsody album, by the way? Up there with the Freddie Gibbs one as my favourite hip hop thing of the year.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9422 on: August 30, 2019, 09:02:05 pm »
Great news, Andy mate. Have you checked out the new Rapsody album, by the way? Up there with the Freddie Gibbs one as my favourite hip hop thing of the year.

I haven’t mate I’ve only heard the single with GZA and D’Angelo which I enjoyed. I’ve heard good things though so will definitely give it a listen! I’m loving Bandana though.

Offline hulksagoodboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9423 on: August 31, 2019, 03:41:12 pm »
BROCKHAMPTON new album is nice also.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #9424 on: September 4, 2019, 03:05:22 pm »
I am really into the YBN Cordae album. Anyone else given it a proper listen?

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9425 on: September 4, 2019, 10:13:36 pm »
I am really into the YBN Cordae album. Anyone else given it a proper listen?

I have and thought it was great. Loved the track with Pusha T and also the back and forth track with Anderson. Paak.

Offline The Naby Keita fan club

• Kopite
« Reply #9426 on: September 7, 2019, 07:32:42 pm »
He has done it again. 50 years old, still droppin gem albums.

Common - Let Love 2019

"They say it never rains in Californ'
That done changed 'cause of global warming
Depends on what you use for a lens
I was told God used rain to cleanse"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEU8rq6DEqY

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #9427 on: September 7, 2019, 11:43:51 pm »
Always love Common, One Day It'll all Make Sense - fantastic Like Water for Chocolate- sublime.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9428 on: September 14, 2019, 08:28:00 pm »
Nobody is touching the Griselda boys at the moment.

Loving the new JPEGMAFIA album.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #9429 on: September 20, 2019, 09:59:56 am »
Nobody is touching the Griselda boys at the moment.

Loving the new JPEGMAFIA album.

Love that you said that. Griselda is the fucking movement right now. They are so consistent.

But.....today is a great day for hip hop. First, everyone get on the new Gang Starr track with J Cole.

Even more impressive though: Skyzoo and Pete Rock album. Wow. Just fucking wow. Anyone saying hip hop is dead just doesn’t know where to look. I feel that 2019 has been my favourite year in hip hop for time.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9430 on: September 20, 2019, 10:19:41 am »
The Wu Tang series on Hulu is a good watch. I'm only 2 episodes in but decent so far.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9431 on: September 20, 2019, 01:33:56 pm »
Love that you said that. Griselda is the fucking movement right now. They are so consistent.

But.....today is a great day for hip hop. First, everyone get on the new Gang Starr track with J Cole.

Even more impressive though: Skyzoo and Pete Rock album. Wow. Just fucking wow. Anyone saying hip hop is dead just doesn’t know where to look. I feel that 2019 has been my favourite year in hip hop for time.

I’ve just had a look at the tracklist of the new Skyzoo and Pete Rock album. Track 11. . . Please tell me it’s as crazy as it looks on paper? Those Griselda boys!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #9432 on: September 21, 2019, 10:32:21 am »
I’ve just had a look at the tracklist of the new Skyzoo and Pete Rock album. Track 11. . . Please tell me it’s as crazy as it looks on paper? Those Griselda boys!

Its a crazy dope track. Im telling you though, this album is near perfection. I wont be surprised if its AOTY for me in a couple months.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9433 on: September 21, 2019, 02:38:45 pm »
Its a crazy dope track. Im telling you though, this album is near perfection. I wont be surprised if its AOTY for me in a couple months.

I gave the album a spin earlier and it’s fantastic. Djozer on here would love it too I think!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #9434 on: October 4, 2019, 05:39:13 pm »
Been getting into Mac Miller's discography for the last couple of days. I knew enough about him when he was alive but definitely didnt dig deep. Im feeling a lot of it. He was funny as fuck.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9435 on: October 4, 2019, 07:03:31 pm »
Danny Brown’s new album dropped today executively produced by Q-Tip.

Haven’t had a listen yet but hearing great things about it.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9436 on: October 9, 2019, 02:43:51 pm »
BBC done a list

Top 25 greatest hip hop songs of all time yo!

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20191007-the-greatest-hip-hop-songs-of-all-time

There's something missing but I can't quite figure out what it is. Electric Relaxation should be top 10 but otherwise pretty solid.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9437 on: October 9, 2019, 04:52:53 pm »
The two Kanye songs shouldn't be in there, there are far better songs that he's made than those two.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #9438 on: October 13, 2019, 02:34:51 pm »
Was chatting about this list the other day. All in all, Ive seen much worse. I hate that Juicy is number 1 though. I still get hype listening to Shook Ones...Juicy is an automatic skip.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9439 on: October 13, 2019, 05:54:47 pm »
No Roots, Beastie Boys, Hieroglyphics, Cypress Hill.