Author Topic: Band of Brothers.  (Read 50712 times)

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Band of Brothers.
« on: October 18, 2006, 07:12:31 pm »
National geographic have been re-showing the whole series,i had forgotten what a brilliant series it was. Damian Lewis is astounding, even manages to do a passable yank accent.
One to keep on my sky+ planner methinks.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Band of Brothers.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 07:13:20 pm »
Had the DVDs bought for me a couple of Christmas' ago. Great series and for those of you who haven't watched it... well, do!

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 07:18:59 pm »
Had the DVDs bought for me a couple of Christmas' ago. Great series and for those of you who haven't watched it... well, do!
Indeed. Imagine hours and hours of the best bits from 'saving private ryan', that my friends, is 'band of brothers.'

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 07:22:46 pm »
The book is very good. If you want either of you want to borrow it, let me know  :wave
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 07:26:36 pm »
Did you see the program where they interviewed all the real living soldiers from 'easy company'. It was really emotional watching all them ald fellas recounting tales of war. A lot of them were getting choked up. Captivating stuff. I could listen to ald fellas talking about their war experiences all day long. Them made of tough stuff in them days.

Offline the brad

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 07:30:35 pm »
fantastic show

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 09:17:32 pm »
thought it was fantastic, have it on DVD.

Offline Big Tall Man

• Legacy Fan
  • In this moment i like it in this forum, for sure
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 10:22:55 pm »
Did you see the program where they interviewed all the real living soldiers from 'easy company'. It was really emotional watching all them ald fellas recounting tales of war. A lot of them were getting choked up. Captivating stuff. I could listen to ald fellas talking about their war experiences all day long. Them made of tough stuff in them days.

Agreed. Absolutely top show. If you haven't seen it you are missing out.
Rafa on THAT half time talk.  Language barriers aside, the greatest modesty and understatement in football history!!!

' We had been talking in the half time, we need to do something, we need to change things and maybe we score things would be different and we scored and it was different'

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 10:24:19 pm »
fucking class program, buy the dvd
psn = Lents123

Pheeny

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 11:06:35 pm »
great series.Anyone wanna loan me them or send me a copy? ;)

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 11:17:28 pm »
About the best TV series I've ever seen, absolutely outstanding.

Offline crownpaints

• Billy Lidl
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Merseyrail stinks of shit
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 11:26:27 pm »
Brilliant from start to finish. Filmed in England as well.
Mighty Reds

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 12:07:34 am »
i didnt know it was filmed in england but it is a fantastic series. i watch it quite often and it never gets boring!
psn = Lents123

Offline SteB

• Kopite
  • Our Reason, Our Inspiration, Our Pride. JFT 96
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 02:40:44 pm »
Got it on DVD meself.

AMAZING deffo the best series on tele ive ever seen.

£30 in HMV at the moment
What you see is what you get Youve made your bed, you better lie in it You choose your leaders and place your trust As their lies wash you down and their promises rust Youll see kidney machines replaced by rockets and guns And the public wants what the public gets But I dont get what this society wants

Offline sull14

• Legacy Fan
  • Random Avatar Title.
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 02:01:23 pm »
Just finished watching this (again) last night. Absolutely amazing.

Lost for words trying to describe how good this is. If anybody hasnt seen it, they really really should..

Got mine last year on CD WOW for €30. Massive value, considering they are selling it for €70 in shops.
JFT96

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 04:36:16 pm »
watched this again whilst off sick last week...had forgotten what a great cast it had. enjoyed noticing some actors that i hadnt realised were in it the frst time round like that bloke from shaun of the dead

Offline Lenman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 05:49:10 pm »
Got it on DVD meself.

AMAZING deffo the best series on tele ive ever seen.

£30 in HMV at the moment

£20 in Virgin XS  :lickin. I bought it myself and my mum had to take back the one she had bought me for christmas  ;D. Truely amazing series, emotional stuff as you really get to know the soliders and it hurts when they die  :-\
As he lay on the battle field dying (dying dying)
These were the last words he said...
Oh...I am a Liverpudlian !!!

Offline Mikeebee

• Legacy Fan
  • You've won a Blankety Blank Cheque Book & Pen
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 06:06:13 pm »
Rented this initially, went out and bought the box set after I finished watching it, also bought the book.

Incredible piece of work, absolutely love it.  Recommend it highly to anyone that will listen :)  The book is definitely worth reading because it gives a little more information and insight.
JFT 96 YNWA
@mikeebee7

Offline sull14

• Legacy Fan
  • Random Avatar Title.
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 06:17:48 pm »
Ya Im interested in getting the book actually, that has to be done.
JFT96

Offline iancr7

• Im sorry but who are you again ?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • likes men in uniform
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 10:45:41 pm »
had it on dvd and one of the best serials ever
brummie born and (b)red

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 12:32:22 pm »
Magnificent series.  Agree with Sir Withnail.   Seeing the arl fellas of Easy Company made me cry.   "Were you a hero, Grandad"?  "No.  But I served with heroes".   
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Melanie.

• Redheads Rule. Redheaded REDS rule MORE. Fact. Vodka-sucking-non-warbling-Dorothy.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Has red hair
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2006, 12:48:23 pm »
Magnificent series.  Agree with Sir Withnail.   Seeing the arl fellas of Easy Company made me cry.   "Were you a hero, Grandad"?  "No.  But I served with heroes".   
Agree with Maggie. Fantastic programme albeit a bit  :'(
to be honest I didn't know the old meaning but having googled, this means the next time someone called me ginger pubes i can go "NO! FIRE_CROTCH"
Me too.

Offline tezmac

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 1, 2006, 09:04:45 pm »
Superb pity the aint more like this on telly instead of this celebrity rubbish
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king

Offline Deadlogic

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe
« Reply #23 on: December 1, 2006, 11:42:38 pm »
Absolutely agree with you all - it's one of the finest TV series ever.

I bought the box set a while ago, and it's something that I watch over and over (at least 1 episode per month - love Carentaen ep).  It managed to get me really interested in WW2, and since then I've bought "World at War", and all the "Battlefield" series of DVD's, along with as many books on the subject I can find (I also managed to watch Stalingrad, the Norweigan movie without actually undestanding a word that was said... :P).

Currently reading D-Day by Stephen Ambrose, with Stalingrad by Antony Beevor next up.

I was going to actually start a new thread before I spotted this, so nice co-incidence I spotted it here.  My question was going to be:

Does anyone have any other recommendations of Films/TV/Books on the same thing?

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 2, 2006, 12:15:57 am »
like someone else said earlier i have rewatched this so many times and am not in the least bored of it. have made it a hait watching them all on dvd over the chiristmas hols

Offline wilo in berlin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 2, 2006, 02:06:24 am »
If you havenìt seen it already... The Longest Day.

Offline IloveGuinness17

• Knows fuck all about waves...
  • Legacy Fan
  • M.I.A.
« Reply #26 on: December 2, 2006, 04:25:49 am »
Its class. The book is class too.
JFT 96-Solidarity

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #27 on: December 2, 2006, 09:00:51 am »
Comfortably one of the best pieces of television I have ever seen. Managed to put harrowing, thought-provoking, amusing, interesting, spectacular, breath-taking and engaging side-by-side without letting one detract from the other. Stunning.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 2, 2006, 09:31:28 am »

Interviews with veterans or D-Day? For interviews The Last Post by Max Arthur is very good - interviews with the last 20 odd British survivors off World War 1.

There's millions of books about D-Day, and as already recommended The Longest Day is a fantastic film.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Chris C

• Anny Roader
  • I'll show you that British craftsmanship is alive!
« Reply #29 on: December 3, 2006, 10:46:05 pm »
Absolutely agree with you all - it's one of the finest TV series ever.

I bought the box set a while ago, and it's something that I watch over and over (at least 1 episode per month - love Carentaen ep).  It managed to get me really interested in WW2, and since then I've bought "World at War", and all the "Battlefield" series of DVD's, along with as many books on the subject I can find (I also managed to watch Stalingrad, the Norweigan movie without actually undestanding a word that was said... :P).

Currently reading D-Day by Stephen Ambrose, with Stalingrad by Antony Beevor next up.

I was going to actually start a new thread before I spotted this, so nice co-incidence I spotted it here.  My question was going to be:

Get the whole series by Ambrose - I picked them up for a tenner in music zone.

Also, the forgotten voices series are excellent - transcripts from interviews with WW1 and 2 veterans. Fascinating read.

in hitlers bunker and through hell for hitler are two excellent books from the other perspective
Werthers Hag

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 3, 2006, 11:48:52 pm »
Deadlogic.   There's a series by Sutton Press on the D Day Landings, examining each beach one by one, Omaha, Gold, Sword and so forth, along with many related actions concerning D Day and beyond.

The thing is, I only saw these books today at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, and

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline the brad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 4, 2006, 05:29:57 pm »

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 4, 2006, 05:47:57 pm »
I am so sorry.   Half my post got lost.  Worse than that, I had no paper or pen to record the name of the series, (and it was on a stall who were not inclined to assist) but the name "Sutton Press" is all I can remember.  Deffo the publisher.  Sorry......    :-[ :'(

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 4, 2006, 06:36:06 pm »
I am so sorry.   Half my post got lost.  Worse than that, I had no paper or pen to record the name of the series, (and it was on a stall who were not inclined to assist) but the name "Sutton Press" is all I can remember.  Deffo the publisher.  Sorry......    :-[ :'(

This series?

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 4, 2006, 07:38:38 pm »
You are an absolute diamond.   Yes.   That is precisely it.   The stall was in one of the big navy sheds, and the place was absolutely heaving (good for the Naval charaties though).   I did search for Sutton on the web, but couldn't find it.   You clearly have special powers, well you would, what with you being in the .... SAS and all ....  :lickin :lickin :lickin    Ooooooooh  *swoons*

Offline kopite-stu

• Anny Roader
  • The first and the last. Cardiff 01 & 06.
« Reply #35 on: December 4, 2006, 08:33:25 pm »
the wife bought me this in a tinned box set a couple of years ago.

almost beats all of my lfc dvd's hands down. its that good.
Red for life

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 4, 2006, 09:18:23 pm »
You are an absolute diamond.   Yes.   That is precisely it.   The stall was in one of the big navy sheds, and the place was absolutely heaving (good for the Naval charaties though).   I did search for Sutton on the web, but couldn't find it.   You clearly have special powers, well you would, what with you being in the .... SAS and all ....  :lickin :lickin :lickin    Ooooooooh  *swoons*

You are, as ever, welcome lovely lady  :-*

Offline ianation

• Anny Roader
  • PSN: ianation
« Reply #37 on: December 5, 2006, 12:15:34 am »
love this series from HBO...
got the dvd set...

they cross paths in saving private ryan too...
PSN: ianation

Offline Deadlogic

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe
« Reply #38 on: December 5, 2006, 12:52:36 am »
Thanks for all the recommendations everyone.  I'll be looking em up this week.

Thanks again.

Offline sull14

• Legacy Fan
  • Random Avatar Title.
« Reply #39 on: December 5, 2006, 03:34:41 am »
Anybody know where i can get a Band Of Brothers poster? Ive been looking for a while, but allposters.com only have a framed one for round $60 i think. Im also trying to avoid ebay if possible. Somewhere that would have one for bout £10??
JFT96