Author Topic: Sami Hyypia  (Read 88915 times)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: Sami Hyypia
« Reply #480 on: December 22, 2014, 07:34:20 pm »
Which goes back round to whether he's actually got those skills. His management record so far doesn't suggest he does. The comment was that he should be at the club regardless of how good a coach he might be. Football is a shitty business because players get old and some of them have to find their way outside the game.

Can we sign him back as a player?! ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing him back in some capacity like Barnes and Kenny.

Offline Litmanen10

• Kopite
  • Genious
« Reply #481 on: December 22, 2014, 07:38:32 pm »
It's been a shocking year for Sami, who took the positions to manage at Leverkusen and Brighton way too early in his career. He had 4 wins out of 34 league matches this year. He seems to have the personality, brain and ability to be a manager one day, but now he should work as a part of a coaching staff under an experienced manager for the next few years and bide his time. Hopefully he'll stay in coaching, but can only imagine what he must be going through.
Jesus saves...But GOD scores from the rebound!!

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #482 on: December 23, 2014, 01:13:30 am »
That's true of so many ex-players though. And playing devils advocate - would it really help the current defence to have someone hanging round Melwood highlighting how shit they all are by comparison?

No, I only take Sami, Xavi, Barnes and Kenny. With those 4, its not about their ability, its about them as leaders and individuals, big things at a club.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #483 on: December 23, 2014, 01:15:15 am »
That's true of so many ex-players though. And playing devils advocate - would it really help the current defence to have someone hanging round Melwood highlighting how shit they all are by comparison?

It may kick them up the arse at least
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Armless Joe Gambino

• Will stone fred at the drop of a hat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: December 23, 2014, 02:03:11 am »
Gutted it hasn't worked out for him.

Would love to have him back at the club in some capacity. But he's a manager now and he deserves a decent club.

A defensive coach would be a step back for him

Can't really say that, as a manager it hasn't worked out for him twice. It's difficult to see where his next job offer will come from.
I hope he can change that sometime soon.
In my day everbody drank and smoked and nobody took drugs. . . . . .

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #485 on: December 23, 2014, 07:49:21 am »
No, I only take Sami, Xavi, Barnes and Kenny. With those 4, its not about their ability, its about them as leaders and individuals, big things at a club.

Xavi? I'd take him too but I doubt he'd come here:

And have you ever met Digger? He's a fantastic man and one of my favourite ever players but he is from a different era.

When Liverpool Football Club was at it's best it wasn't sentimental about players. Of course ex-players should be welcomed back and some should have ambassadorial and PR roles, but the coaches should be the best we can get. Not ex-players brought in for emotional reasons.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #486 on: December 23, 2014, 05:08:53 pm »
Can't really say that, as a manager it hasn't worked out for him twice. It's difficult to see where his next job offer will come from.
I hope he can change that sometime soon.

So if you stretch your imagination:  David James, who this season took his team to the finals of their league (ISL), is having a better managerial career than Sami!

Better player, worse manager/coach?

Bring back David James?
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #487 on: December 23, 2014, 06:58:14 pm »
"When Liverpool Football Club was at it's best it wasn't sentimental about players. Of course ex-players should be welcomed back and some should have ambassadorial and PR roles, but the coaches should be the best we can get. Not ex-players brought in for emotional reasons."

Pascoe and Marsh?
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #488 on: December 23, 2014, 07:30:23 pm »
Xavi? I'd take him too but I doubt he'd come here:

And have you ever met Digger? He's a fantastic man and one of my favourite ever players but he is from a different era.

When Liverpool Football Club was at it's best it wasn't sentimental about players. Of course ex-players should be welcomed back and some should have ambassadorial and PR roles, but the coaches should be the best we can get. Not ex-players brought in for emotional reasons.

Who is talking about coaches, they can do tea and coffee if they want. As for explayers, Paisley, Evans, Moran, Phil Taylor, Heighway, Yeats, Thompson, Hughie McAuley......I'm sure they were not, on paper, only there for their ability.

And as for Xavi, yes, I know, but I type with thumbs and b is next to v on the keyboard.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:52:24 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #489 on: December 23, 2014, 07:35:09 pm »
Pascoe and Marsh?

Seemed to do OK last season...

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #490 on: January 11, 2015, 10:59:07 am »
the best centre half we have ever had since Hansen and Lawrenson, his ability to read the game is sorely missed, his presence and leadership is missed even more.

sometimes you only appreciate someone when they have gone, personally i would fetch him back as he's between jobs and teach them incompetent defenders at Anfield how to do their jobs.

Offline MJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • Said It's High Green mate, Via Hillsborough please
« Reply #491 on: January 11, 2015, 09:29:54 pm »
the best centre half we have ever had since Hansen and Lawrenson, his ability to read the game is sorely missed, his presence and leadership is missed even more.

sometimes you only appreciate someone when they have gone, personally i would fetch him back as he's between jobs and teach them incompetent defenders at Anfield how to do their jobs.

Wouldn't mind him coming back to teach our defenders a thing or two.
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MattyJohnson8

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: January 12, 2015, 07:19:44 am »
Wouldn't mind him coming back to teach our defenders a thing or two.

His Leverkusen and Brighton teams conceded a fair amount of goals

Good defender =/= good defensive coach
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #493 on: May 3, 2015, 11:34:37 am »
The big man is on Goals on Sunday.

Love him, what a player, and what a pro.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline Samvice

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #494 on: August 21, 2015, 10:29:14 am »
Named manager of FC Zurich. Best of luck Sami!

http://www.fcz.ch/de/profis/news.htm?id=3343

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #495 on: August 21, 2015, 02:44:51 pm »
Happy for the big man. Hope he has some success.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #496 on: August 23, 2015, 09:23:20 pm »
He was a great player and a top gentleman. All that's left is to become a top manager. Best of luck to the man.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: September 30, 2015, 12:52:13 am »
Not going great for the big man atm, played Babbels' FC Luzern at the weekend and lost to a Yesil (yes, our Yesil goal.).

There was a story in the local rag(Swiss) talking about how close they are as friends and all that, they both were "quoted" talking about a shooting in a Liverpool restaurant where they and other team members were present and having to dive for cover.

Never heard anything about that myself, anyone else know more?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: September 30, 2015, 01:03:24 am »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/974424.stm

Two men have been shot at a Merseyside bar where several Liverpool footballers were relaxing after Sunday's game with Derby County.

Players involved
Markus Babbel
Dietmar Hamann
Sami Hyypia
Erik Meijer
Sander Westerveld
Christian Ziege
Police say at least three masked men ran into Jalons Restaurant in Wavertree at about 2230BST and opened fire, wounding the men in the legs.

The two casualties, both customers in the brasserie, were treated in hospital for their injuries, which are not thought to be life-threatening.

There were no injuries among the six players - goalkeeper Sander Westerveld, defenders Sami Hyypia, Markus Babbel and Christian Ziege, striker Erik Meijer and German international midfielder Dietmar Hamann.

They were dining out after the team's 4-0 win at Derby.

A 70th birthday celebration was also underway in the restaurant.

Shocked

A Liverpool FC spokesman said: "A group of Liverpool players were enjoying dinner with their wives on Sunday evening at a restaurant they have previously visited a number of times when the shooting occurred.

"They then provided their details to the police before leaving the premises.

"The group were obviously shocked by events but were thankfully all unhurt."

The gunmen, in balaclavas, escaped in a silver Vauxhall car, which was later found burned out in nearby Greenbank Road, close to the entrance to Sefton Park.

Superintendent Greg Wood of Merseyside Police said there was nothing to suggest that the incident had any connection with the players.

He said the attack may be linked to an earlier incident outside the bar.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: May 12, 2016, 07:53:39 pm »
Sami was sacked this morning by FC Zurich after losing 4-0 at home to bottom placed Lugano.

Took them over when they were bottom of the league and now leaves them in the same position, 3 games left to play and also the cup final. Harsh.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #500 on: May 13, 2016, 03:43:38 am »
Poor Sami.  For him to leave multiple coaching positions in the middle of the season can't be good for his reputation.

This latest was "by mutual consent" but how much would it really help the club's play when he does that?

“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #501 on: May 14, 2016, 01:17:06 pm »
Sami was sacked this morning by FC Zurich after losing 4-0 at home to bottom placed Lugano.

Took them over when they were bottom of the league and now leaves them in the same position, 3 games left to play and also the cup final. Harsh.

They had finished 3rd in 2014/15 and had qualified for the EL. No idea why things went so bad for them this season, but it looks like they sold a fair number of players, including three teenage players to the likes of Wolfsburg and Gladbach.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: May 14, 2016, 07:48:24 pm »
Seems pretty drastic alright but in a ten team league things can go tits up pretty sharpish, there are still four sides in danger of relegation and it still would be a major shock if Zurich go down.

Strange stories floating about about Sami's sacking, the president/owner came out publicly supporting Hyypia after the game - fair enough, that's usually the final nail - and they all turned up for training the next day.

There have been some negative stories about his training methods, using a drone to record the sessions, swordfights with plastic swords(to increase the competitive nature of the players ???) and criticism of his man management skills.

Anyway Sami faced the players, asked them to decide what would be for the best and two hours later the players said to the owner they want a change...Sami, assistant and the fitness coach.
That was that....mutual consent!

The players shafted him badly.... :no

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #503 on: May 24, 2016, 11:49:18 am »
I believe that it was 7 years ago today that Sami Hyypia said goodbye  after 10 years at Liverpool as we beat Spurs 3-1.

#JFT97

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #504 on: May 24, 2016, 11:50:24 am »
what a player
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: July 3, 2016, 04:48:16 am »
Am I correct in thinking this guy never got a testimonial? Absolutely ridiculous if so.

One of our greatest ever, legend. Shame it doesn't seem to be working out as a manager for him.

Probably time to take a bit of time out or maybe going into coaching for a while, working under somebody. Assistant to Rafa?
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #506 on: July 3, 2016, 05:49:53 am »
what a player

Until I crawl into my grave I'll remember the Juventus goal. THE JUVENTUS GOAL
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #507 on: July 3, 2016, 05:51:00 am »
Here you go Ralphie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnZ2oos02IU

Love him to bits.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: July 3, 2016, 06:01:55 am »
Here you go Ralphie

Love him to bits.

I see your Sami volley with the best Sami header

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lYIryPHcazk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lYIryPHcazk</a>
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Djimigotamedal

• Main Stander
« Reply #509 on: October 7, 2016, 06:05:30 pm »
Sami's 43rd birthday today , anyone got any pics of him with the European cup during celebrations after the game?

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: October 7, 2016, 06:59:58 pm »
Here you go Ralphie

Love him to bits.

The noise from the crowd when he scores that goal is insane. Still gives me goosebumps, what a game that was.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #511 on: October 9, 2016, 06:48:52 pm »
Am I correct in thinking this guy never got a testimonial? Absolutely ridiculous if so.

One of our greatest ever, legend. Shame it doesn't seem to be working out as a manager for him.

Probably time to take a bit of time out or maybe going into coaching for a while, working under somebody. Assistant to Rafa?

It's a reminder that being a great player is irrelevant to how good they'll be as a manager. I hope he finds a career somewhere, maybe outside management, because all the signs are that he's probably not going to make it as a top flight manager.

There's no shame in that, he wouldn't be the first and he won't be the last great player who discovers playing and managing have a different skill set.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: October 12, 2016, 12:10:18 pm »
he should have got a testomonial alright as he was here 10 years and was a tremendous ambassador for the club

I am sure he would be good at coaching, particularly on the defensive side.

as others said being a manager doesnt seem to working

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: October 12, 2016, 02:34:54 pm »
Didn't John Barnes get denied one too?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: October 12, 2016, 02:45:02 pm »
dont remember him getting one

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #515 on: May 28, 2017, 10:25:30 am »
I have just watched a documentary on Sami's career, what a player he was. Had everything in his game other than pace, but he was so intelligent that didn't matter. I think he could have played in almost any of our teams, a great footballer. Also watching how he broke down in that last game again, had me tearing up.  :(
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline God's Left Peg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: May 28, 2017, 02:34:36 pm »
I have just watched a documentary on Sami's career, what a player he was. Had everything in his game other than pace, but he was so intelligent that didn't matter. I think he could have played in almost any of our teams, a great footballer. Also watching how he broke down in that last game again, had me tearing up.  :(

What channel was that on? Love Sami, one of my favourite ever players.
"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #517 on: May 28, 2017, 03:51:32 pm »

On LFC TV its part of the Premier League Heroes documentaries. They have Steven Gerrard's one on tonight fully recommend them they are good.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 03:53:19 pm by jillc »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #518 on: May 28, 2017, 06:41:31 pm »

the video is here mate (jillc is spot on - Premier League Heroes is a great series):-

www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/69789o/premier_league_heroes_sami_hyypia/ or https://vid.me/UIbm

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 05:56:34 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline God's Left Peg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: May 28, 2017, 09:33:13 pm »
On LFC TV its part of the Premier League Heroes documentaries. They have Steven Gerrard's one on tonight fully recommend them they are good.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."