Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2749402 times)

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #43520 on: February 6, 2017, 10:53:58 am »
You are a disgusting man... ;)
:lmao

I like to think I'm a good laugh in here  ;D

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #43521 on: February 6, 2017, 10:54:34 am »
I was saying at HT as those around me were saying it was over.. to never write off the Pats and Brady.

What transpired was equally unbelievable and believable in equal measure.

The Falcons and their fans will never live this one down.

Yep as well as the Pats played on offence in the 4th and OT, this result is pretty squarely on the Falcons fucking it up.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #43522 on: February 6, 2017, 10:57:37 am »
Yep as well as the Pats played on offence in the 4th and OT, this result is pretty squarely on the Falcons fucking it up.
True to an extent mate.

However, a lesser side than the Patriots wouldn't have capitalised as well as New England did last night.

Online coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #43523 on: February 6, 2017, 10:58:24 am »
will be a superbowl record comeback if you do win it from here

Just going back through some of the pages from last night...
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43524 on: February 6, 2017, 11:01:17 am »
True to an extent mate.

However, a lesser side than the Patriots wouldn't have capitalised as well as New England did last night.

True

A better side than them wouldn't have found themselves in that hole as well though ;)

Ludicrous what a difference mentality and momentum makes.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #43525 on: February 6, 2017, 11:01:39 am »
It isn't over until it's over.

Get a score before the half and the Hoodie will get them going at half-time.
Great post  :wellin

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43526 on: February 6, 2017, 11:21:16 am »
that falcons fumble with 8-9 mins remaining shifted all momentum to us and was the key.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #43527 on: February 6, 2017, 11:28:25 am »
Woke up convinced the Falcons had won it. 
If I live to 100 I'll never understand their play selection at 28-20. I mean, didn't Julio Jones catch the ball just outside the 20??
Ryan just cannot take a sack there on 2nd down.  One football writer who calls those plays 'Bortles' (or 'Staffords') - taking a sack that moves you out of field goal range.  Even then, on 3rd down they got enough yards for a straightforward kick before the holding penalty forced a punt. (And silly pens killed the Falcons).

Tired now though. Going to be a long day at work..

As i've mentioned, was dumb play calling after the Julio Jones catch, all the Falcons needed to do then was run the ball, running clock down & force the Pats to burn a couple of timeouts, then go for the FG to try & get an 11 point lead with around 2 minutes left in the 4th, but no they went for passing play so Ryan get's sacked, then they give a penalty away & are then out of FG range & have to punt it away, & the rest is history.
#Sausages

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43528 on: February 6, 2017, 11:32:44 am »
As i've mentioned, was dumb play calling after the Julio Jones catch, all the Falcons needed to do then was run the ball, running clock down & force the Pats to burn a couple of timeouts, then go for the FG to try & get an 11 point lead with around 2 minutes left in the 4th, but no they went for passing play so Ryan get's sacked, then they give a penalty away & are then out of FG range & have to punt it away, & the rest is history.

exactly, they didn't even have to be adventurous after julio catch. take a knee, eat the clock, kick the fg and game over.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43529 on: February 6, 2017, 11:37:56 am »
Their plays in the last minute were shocking as well, short throws in the middle of the field and running out the end zone, they just did so much wrong in the final quarter and a bit.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43530 on: February 6, 2017, 11:43:24 am »
Their plays in the last minute were shocking as well, short throws in the middle of the field and running out the end zone, they just did so much wrong in the final quarter and a bit.

I think that was a bit trickier for them though, at that stage they had no timeouts left and the Pats had a couple I think (and obviously all the momentum), so couldn't really control the clock and probably worried about giving the ball back to the Pats with time left to play with.

When momentum goes that badly teams can start to fear the negative rather than look for the positive, especially with the way their offence had blown up in the previous drive.

Still might have won it of course had they won the toss in OT, still not a fan of the NFL OT rules.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2017, 11:49:52 am by filopastry »

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #43531 on: February 6, 2017, 11:58:45 am »
^^^

As a non regular watcher those OT rules do seem absurd.  Hardly like football we're kick off doesn't really matter.  To give one side the chance to score and not allow rhe other any chance to respond does seem a bit ridiculous.  Reading through it seems like that rule used to apply even if it was just a field goal scored. At least that's changed but why not just give each side one drive each and maybe then go to sudden death if there's still no score?

And I say that as someone with no axe to grind!

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #43532 on: February 6, 2017, 12:01:44 pm »
^^^

As a non regular watcher those OT rules do seem absurd.  Hardly like football we're kick off doesn't really matter.  To give one side the chance to score and not allow rhe other any chance to respond does seem a bit ridiculous.  Reading through it seems like that rule used to apply even if it was just a field goal scored. At least that's changed but why not just give each side one drive each and maybe then go to sudden death if there's still no score?

It's a valid comment and certainly a rule that requires some discussion and scrutiny at the owners meetings this off-season with regards to future rule changes.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43533 on: February 6, 2017, 12:07:20 pm »
OT rules are absurd, I agree but Falcons have noone but only themselves to blame.
I thought they would kick a FG and it would be over when they would be up 11.
They lost the game there and mentally couldn't come back.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43534 on: February 6, 2017, 12:10:07 pm »
W
OT rules are absurd, I agree but Falcons have noone but only themselves to blame.
I thought they would kick a FG and it would be over when they would be up 11.
They lost the game there and mentally couldn't come back.

Pretty much, cant blame OT rules when you lose a 25 point lead. Its a bad rule but its not why they lost, its still in your ability to win it from there but their defence was gone by that point, Patriots didnt even get to a 3rd down, just marched down the field.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #43535 on: February 6, 2017, 12:18:02 pm »
^^^

Nah, if it had been a field goal, the Falcons would have gotten the ball to try and score a field goal and OT going on or to score a TD and winning the game. Totally agree about the rules being stupid.

Speaking about OT, there was a team recently (last two or three seasons probably) that won the coin toss in OT, but chose to kick it first and then lost without ever getting their offense on the field. Who was that? I'm thinking Colts, but could be wrong...

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43536 on: February 6, 2017, 12:22:33 pm »
What a master bottle job from Atlanta. They had it in the palm of their hands and they pissed on their own bonfire.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43537 on: February 6, 2017, 12:22:41 pm »
It was the biggest chokes of all-time, in the biggest single sporting event in the world.  ;D

The big question is, how do the Falcons respond to that defeat?  How will they go next season?

Will it galvanise the team, make them stronger, and spur them to go on to right the wrong, or will it weigh on them like a huge milstone?
« Last Edit: February 6, 2017, 12:24:19 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43538 on: February 6, 2017, 12:23:21 pm »
replay is on sky now, Patriots 9-28 down 12.41 left, can't see anyway back

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #43539 on: February 6, 2017, 12:26:02 pm »
Speaking about OT, there was a team recently (last two or three seasons probably) that won the coin toss in OT, but chose to kick it first and then lost without ever getting their offense on the field. Who was that? I'm thinking Colts, but could be wrong...
That was the Patriots when we lost to the Jets back in 2015   ;D

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #43540 on: February 6, 2017, 12:28:33 pm »

;D

Surprised by that. I always had it in my mind as one of those crazy Chuck Pagano decisions... ;)

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43541 on: February 6, 2017, 12:30:22 pm »
I don't get why the Falcons would opt to kick when they were unable to stop the Patriots in the second half.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #43542 on: February 6, 2017, 12:32:15 pm »
;D

Surprised by that. I always had it in my mind as one of those crazy Chuck Pagano decisions... ;)
Everyone thought the Hoodie had gone mad  ;D Either that or Matthew Slater went on a jolly of his own and deferred at the coin toss.

It was down out of sympathy for the poor poor Jets  ;D

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43543 on: February 6, 2017, 01:03:27 pm »
It's a valid comment and certainly a rule that requires some discussion and scrutiny at the owners meetings this off-season with regards to future rule changes.
I think the problem is just how long could a game go on for and the effect it could have on players
Also any team opting to take the ball 2nd would have a unfair advantage as well.
team going first would punt on 3rd and long but if they knew they had to score a touchdown they would go for 4 and 30 if they knew they had to score.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #43544 on: February 6, 2017, 01:16:24 pm »
I don't get why the Falcons would opt to kick when they were unable to stop the Patriots in the second half.

Do you mean at the start of OT?  Pats won the toss and elected to receive.

Stat I read this morning was that the Falcons offense only ran 46 plays - the lowest team total in a SB for over 40 years. Pats ran 93 - and the Atlanta defense, especially their up-to-then brilliant front 4 - were totally gassed.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43545 on: February 6, 2017, 01:16:40 pm »
It's the next day and I still can't believe Atlanta didn't run the ball 3 times with 4 minutes left to win the superbowl

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #43546 on: February 6, 2017, 01:22:10 pm »

Stat I read this morning was that the Falcons offense only ran 46 plays - the lowest team total in a SB for over 40 years. Pats ran 93 - and the Atlanta defense, especially their up-to-then brilliant front 4 - were totally gassed.

in the second half it felt like it as well. the atlanta offence must have been bored rigid just sitting there watching the game.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #43547 on: February 6, 2017, 01:40:56 pm »
Got up about an hour ago, still can't quite believe what happened! :o

Will have to rewatch it to let it sink in.

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43548 on: February 6, 2017, 01:52:38 pm »

Never forget the look of confusion on Matthew Slater's face!

King Kenny.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43549 on: February 6, 2017, 02:02:43 pm »
Do you mean at the start of OT?  Pats won the toss and elected to receive.

Very interesting,you just knew NE were going to not only score but score the 2pt conversion to level the game, i was putting it down to Adrenalin at the time, as you say Atlanta defense just exhausted
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43550 on: February 6, 2017, 02:09:13 pm »
Very interesting,you just knew NE were going to not only score but score the 2pt conversion to level the game, i was putting it down to Adrenalin at the time, as you say Atlanta defense just exhausted

I think even down 28-12, the Pats at that point had way more plays, yards, and time of possession.  It was actually pretty eye-opening.  The fact that the Falcons offered little resistance the rest of the way would certainly point to their defense being gassed.

Which is all the more infuriating for the Falcons since they averaged almost 6 yards a carry.  They just couldn't bleed that clock.
King Kenny.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #43551 on: February 6, 2017, 02:18:46 pm »
NE time of possession    40:31
ATL time of possession    23:27

yep. felt like it too.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43552 on: February 6, 2017, 02:21:15 pm »
I think even down 28-12, the Pats at that point had way more plays, yards, and time of possession.  It was actually pretty eye-opening.  The fact that the Falcons offered little resistance the rest of the way would certainly point to their defense being gassed.

Which is all the more infuriating for the Falcons since they averaged almost 6 yards a carry.  They just couldn't bleed that clock.
Not necessarily, it's not so much about how many plays, it's when a team runs and run the ball and keep getting the first downs,that's the real killer but Atlanta were obviously tired, NE  were obviously hyped.Adrenalin kicked in against a deflated Atlanta defense.
               Emily Maitlis

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43553 on: February 6, 2017, 02:32:29 pm »
Not necessarily, it's not so much about how many plays, it's when a team runs and run the ball and keep getting the first downs,that's the real killer but Atlanta were obviously tired, NE  were obviously hyped.Adrenalin kicked in against a deflated Atlanta defense.

True.  At 28-9 or 28-12, the ToP and plays/yards stats weren't too damning as the Falcons had some quick strike drives early and will still have multiple opportunities to seal it.  But missed opportunities time and time again (after the onside kick, Falcons had the ball at the NE 32 yard line before a penalty and sack.  They, of course, repeated the trick later) took its toll.  At 28-20, the defense was really feeling it, and that drive had TD written all over it, especially with Edelman's catch.  At 28-26, the defense was shook from the long touchdown drive they just gave up in addition to their fatigue.  The 2-pt seemed inevitable.

Also give the Pats credit, Tom Brady at the goal-line is an incredible challenge for a defense no matter what the situation.  Though the play did have an air of inevitability about it.  Overall, the Pats moved the ball with ease and a huge part of it was the d-line not having the energy to get consistent pressure like they did before.  I think the play discrepancy was surprising but not too crazy at 28-9 and 28-12, but the Falcons' inability to get anything going made things snowball real fast.  Up 28-9, it shouldn't really matter your defense had been on the field longer (they were getting some stops too), but when your offense consistently stalls (other than 2 nice plays to Freeman and Julio), everything piled up.

Falcons offense was high-octane but very ineffective in trying to seal the game.  Must be immensely frustrating and sad for any Falcons fan.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2017, 02:35:29 pm by skipper757 »
King Kenny.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43554 on: February 6, 2017, 02:33:56 pm »
I'm still baffled at what the Falcons did,everyone who wasn't a Pats fan last night was in unison screaming at the tv to run the god damn ball.

After that i said to my other half who's a Yank (Colts fan and huge Pats hater) that i wanted the Pats to win after that just to show ineptitude of the Falcons coaching team,no team deserves a second chance at glory to win a superbowl with a clusterfuck like that.

My Giants robbed the Pats of 2 victories,and the Pats won 2 superbowls on teams who refused to run the ball with the trophy within their grasp.

Guess it evens out.

Tom Brady what can you say,he's like Jordan and Jeter in the  heat of the playoffs,clutch when it matters.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #43555 on: February 6, 2017, 02:47:47 pm »
I think the problem is just how long could a game go on for and the effect it could have on players
Also any team opting to take the ball 2nd would have a unfair advantage as well.
team going first would punt on 3rd and long but if they knew they had to score a touchdown they would go for 4 and 30 if they knew they had to score.

It seems to work just fine in college. Each team gets an equal number of possessions, with each possession starting from the opponent's 25 yard line.
DAMMIT!

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43556 on: February 6, 2017, 03:02:42 pm »
It seems to work just fine in college. Each team gets an equal number of possessions, with each possession starting from the opponent's 25 yard line.
Yeah I follow college football and it's a great idea,you wonder why they dont use it as they obviously know about it.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #43557 on: February 6, 2017, 03:06:48 pm »
For me overtime rules should be, both teams get 1 possession each regardless if a TD is scored, then sudden death if he teams are still tied, like last night[well early this morning for most of us watching in the UK ;)] after the Pats scored the TD, the Falcons would have had a possession until the drive ended or if Falcons scored a TD & tied the game, then have sudden death.
#Sausages

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43558 on: February 6, 2017, 03:22:18 pm »
True.  At 28-9 or 28-12, the ToP and plays/yards stats weren't too damning as the Falcons had some quick strike drives early and will still have multiple opportunities to seal it.  But missed opportunities time and time again (after the onside kick, Falcons had the ball at the NE 32 yard line before a penalty and sack.  They, of course, repeated the trick later) took its toll.  At 28-20, the defense was really feeling it, and that drive had TD written all over it, especially with Edelman's catch.  At 28-26, the defense was shook from the long touchdown drive they just gave up in addition to their fatigue.  The 2-pt seemed inevitable.

Also give the Pats credit, Tom Brady at the goal-line is an incredible challenge for a defense no matter what the situation.  Though the play did have an air of inevitability about it.  Overall, the Pats moved the ball with ease and a huge part of it was the d-line not having the energy to get consistent pressure like they did before.  I think the play discrepancy was surprising but not too crazy at 28-9 and 28-12, but the Falcons' inability to get anything going made things snowball real fast.  Up 28-9, it shouldn't really matter your defense had been on the field longer (they were getting some stops too), but when your offense consistently stalls (other than 2 nice plays to Freeman and Julio), everything piled up.

Falcons offense was high-octane but very ineffective in trying to seal the game.  Must be immensely frustrating and sad for any Falcons fan.
Yeah, I should have said It's not all about the amount of plays rather than its not about the amount of plays as it was a big point you made.
Yeah, NE got some of the breaks as well. the Elderman catch was crazy, Bradys first throw on the 2yrd line in OT looked like getting intercepted for a second, so many little things just went their way. having said that,it always the same for top teams they just seem to get it done.
I always decide my bets for the NFL at the end of the season while the teams are fresh in my mind rather than thinking about it in September, at half time I thought Atlanta next yr,young team and they will take some stopping,changed my mind after the NE comeback but maybe a bit hasty. the defense was knackered and the play calling and possession stats had a lot to do with it. so Atlanta will be my NFC choice.same with NE for AFC. could be a rematch next year, I would put my money on Atlanta right now.not with great confidence though :)
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43559 on: February 6, 2017, 03:27:57 pm »
If you don't get the game management right, then you're not going to win the big matches.

When you are 28-3 up in a ball game, there's no way you should lose from that position, it's not like the Falcons are a poor team either.  They didn't manage the clock whatsoever and paid the ultimate price.