Author Topic: Gatwick Chaos due to Drones  (Read 14489 times)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Gatwick Chaos due to Drones
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2018, 11:45:25 pm »
Get on the horn to Liz Truss and borrow a few of those barking dogs from the prisons.    :wave

to be fair drones shouldn’t mess with dogs

https://thebark.com/content/neighbor-harassed-dog-his-drone

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2018, 12:20:54 am »

Yes, you can control them from anywhere with connection and with the right set up, lots of pretty easy apps etc to do it with. Which obviously then throws all kind of scenarios into the mix! But I think the most likely is a few local scallys or someone who's really pissed off with the airlines/airport for some reason. Who knows, absolute crazy situation though!

Especially after hearing the news out of Stuttgart Airport and at Charles de Gaulle airport.

German airports on alert amid spying reports at Stuttgart

Germany's biggest airports are on alert after four suspected terrorists were spotted staking out Stuttgart airport, reports say.

Police are said to be hunting for a son and father from North Rhine-Westphalia and two others seen taking photos of the airport's terminal and grounds.

Details of the suspects were passed to German police by Morocco's secret service, reports say.

This comes a week after a terror attack across the border in France.

Three people were killed by Cherif Chekatt near a Christmas Market in Strasbourg, which is some 150km (93 miles) from Stuttgart.

Police told public broadcaster ARD that security forces were on alert at German airports, while Bild website said warnings had been extended to all 14 major hubs.

'Spying attempts' detected

Since the Strasbourg attack, suspicious activity had been spotted at both Stuttgart Airport and at Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris, public broadcaster SWR reported.

The father and son were captured on surveillance cameras taking photos around the airport, but had disappeared by the time police arrived.

The Stuttgart airport suspects' names as well as details of their communications were reportedly given to police by intelligence officials in Morocco.

German police would not confirm the reports, with spokesman Roman Strohmayer saying only "we have information that for the moment cannot yet be judged conclusively."

But, he told Bild website: "We have detected spying attempts at Stuttgart Airport and have massively tightened our security measures at the airport in cooperation with the state police. "

Germany was targeted just before Christmas in 2016, when Tunisian jihadist Anis Amri ploughed a lorry into a Christmas market in Berlin, killing 12 people and leaving dozens more wounded.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46639182

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2018, 12:25:54 am »
Have none of the usual suspects suggested it's a false flag to distract from Brexit or May's difficulties?
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2018, 12:26:25 am »
^ Looks like they found the culprit..
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2018, 12:29:40 am »
Have none of the usual suspects suggested it's a false flag to distract from Brexit or May's difficulties?

No but he hasn't been online for a bit, and Russia hasn't been accused yet so that corner of twitter hasn't stirred for now

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2018, 01:00:02 am »

As someone who's due to fly into Gatwick on Sunday, let me assure you that the crazies are *all over* this story on Twitter and the forums.
'How convenient' and 'like one drone can bring down an entire airport' is the bullshit bingo buzzwords.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2018, 01:00:28 am »
I find it really hard to believe that with 50 sightings and that many people looking for it they cant find it.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2018, 01:35:01 am »
I find it really hard to believe that with 50 sightings and that many people looking for it they cant find it.

It’s all very odd. There is very little information about what the police have seen or what they know. It almost seems like they are purposely hiding details or just handling it all really bad.

They say when they have been close to locating the operator the drone dissapears. How do they know they are close?? And how does it just dissapear if they have sight?? All sounds like they are being clever or very stupid.

They have known since yesterday and could have been manning drones videoing 24/7 around the airport waiting for a sighting then tracking it. Again though I’m obviously missing something! Just seems they must be all sat in the tower then running over each other down the stairs when someone rings in a sighting. Either that or the sightings are false and part of whatever game this is. Mad!

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2018, 05:43:22 am »
Drones or drone?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2018, 05:55:49 am »
Drones or drone?

The first sighting on Wednesday night was of two drones, but the reports read as if it is a single drone they are now hunting.

Shooting it down is now an option they are considering.

Edit: Gatwick now has it's runway available again with a limited number of departures and arrivals.
There is the MD of a drone security company on BBC, he is saying it was multiple drones being flown.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 07:15:23 am by rob1n red breast size 966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2018, 07:34:37 am »
I realise it wouldn’t necessarily stop things like yesterday happening. But banning the things without a license (for which you’d need a good reason to own a drone, not just be able to competently fly one,) would be a start.

There’s no good reason for any normal person to need to own a drone really when you think about it, just opens up to a load of knobheads causing issues with them.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2018, 07:44:16 am »
The first sighting on Wednesday night was of two drones, but the reports read as if it is a single drone they are now hunting.

Shooting it down is now an option they are considering.

Edit: Gatwick now has it's runway available again with a limited number of departures and arrivals.
There is the MD of a drone security company on BBC, he is saying it was multiple drones being flown.
Thanks.

I'm sure I saw an electronic 'gun' of some sort a while back that could be used to knock the things out

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2018, 08:21:48 am »
Pilots and the aviation industry in general have been warning about drones for years now and jack all has been done. Its astonishing how obtuse this country is.

If this was Ben Gurion airport, the problem would have been neutralised in minutes.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2018, 08:45:52 am »
Whoever it is responsible hopefully gets serious jail time for it. Boils my blood, ruining people’s christmas weekend away, holidays etc to make some kind of, likely stupid, point.

Being bluntly honest I wouldn’t be screaming injustice if the bullet aimed for the drone ‘missed’ and hit the c*nt operation it.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2018, 08:58:11 am »
I realise it wouldn’t necessarily stop things like yesterday happening. But banning the things without a license (for which you’d need a good reason to own a drone, not just be able to competently fly one,) would be a start.

There’s no good reason for any normal person to need to own a drone really when you think about it, just opens up to a load of knobheads causing issues with them.

There are lots of drones people use without issue to film events or just for fun. A license will likely happen, but can't see it to be more complicated than a fishing license.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline itsalltosh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2018, 08:59:10 am »
The Kop could take it down...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm6a3QXG_qI

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2018, 09:09:53 am »
So the runway's been opened again but where's the drone, vanished into thin air? Reeks of incompetence or a coverup, maybe both.

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2018, 09:14:49 am »
There are lots of drones people use without issue to film events or just for fun. A license will likely happen, but can't see it to be more complicated than a fishing license.

Yeah but given what distruption can easily be caused, I just don’t think people using them to film events is justification for making them so accessible. They’re a massive pain in the arse generally and that’s without them intentionally being used for bullshit like this.

We’re not short of ways of filming and recording stuff without needing drones, unless it’s beinf used by an actual company like the BBC or whatever then it’s not needed.

The BBC can uses drone to get aerial footage of say, Glastonbury, and everyone can watch that footage on YouTube or whatever. We don’t need 3 million lesser quality replicas. I realise you can make the same point about mobile footage but the difference is it’s a lot harder to cause huge disruption and annoyance with an iPhone.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 09:16:27 am by Jm55 »

Offline itsalltosh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2018, 09:16:20 am »
So the runway's been opened again but where's the drone, vanished into thin air? Reeks of incompetence or a coverup, maybe both.

These drones can be flown remotely from a distance (over 4G, etc.), obviously, it would need someone on the ground to launch, change batteries, etc.  but the flight can be programmed in via waypoints so the operator may have been nowhere near.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2018, 09:16:33 am »
I am surprised that the Airports still dont have Anti-Drone guns at their disposal.

A simple signal jammer is all it takes really.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2018, 09:17:01 am »

People have been flying Radio Control planes for decades without any fuss, it is a hobby and is fun to do. Helicopters are really difficult to learn to fly, so the drones filled a hole of easy to fly RC vehicles that could be flown in limited space. Most of them are not causing issues, it is just the odd c*nt who causes problems.

1/6 scale Lancaster, imagine this hitting a plane.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2018, 09:21:40 am »
The Daily Mash suns up my thoughts on the issue -  ;D

Allowing random twats to own small, unlicensed flying machines ‘obviously insane’
20th December 2018

Get Daily Mash headlines: 
PRIVATELY operated drones are a clear sign that society has lost its mind, experts have confirmed.

Researchers found it was ‘demonstrably insane’ to allow the average idiot to own a small, unpredictable flying machine.

Professor Henry Brubaker, from the Institute for Studies, said: “We’re now allowing anyone to send a two-foot wide, unmanned helicopter into the air.

“You know how, in the course of a typical day, you come across at least a dozen utter morons that you wouldn’t trust to boil an egg?

“Do you see what I’m getting at?”

He added: “Can we please just stop – for five fucking minutes – and think about this?”

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2018, 09:43:32 am »
Get on the horn to Liz Truss and borrow a few of those barking dogs from the prisons.    :wave

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2018, 09:46:39 am »
Can’t they just build a robot wars type of drone with a flame thrower or chain saw attached and just chew up the rouge drones?

Or just use a really good drone to follow these drones home? Eventually they run or of batteries or fuel and need to return back to their owners to change batteries or whatever.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2018, 09:57:50 am »
Unbelievable that the moment a new type of threat appeared there weren’t teams already waiting to deal with it instantly in some unspecified way.  It would have been really easy to just do something to sort it out.

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2018, 09:58:40 am »
Can’t they just build a robot wars type of drone with a flame thrower or chain saw attached and just chew up the rouge drones?

Or just use a really good drone to follow these drones home? Eventually they run or of batteries or fuel and need to return back to their owners to change batteries or whatever.

Stream it live on tv, video footage coming via another drone obviously, and get Craig Charles to commentate.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2018, 09:59:40 am »

Sir Killalot was primed for action, but they couldn't get hold of Craig Charles to commentate.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2018, 10:18:07 am »
Personally I just don’t understand calls for a wider exception around airports for drones, I honestly feel like I’m going insane when I hear such things on the news as why can anyone be so dumb to think that would make any difference whatsoever in this case.

‘There’s people illegally flying things! Let’s make them slightly more illegal that’ll stop ‘em!’

It’s just such a lazy suggestion by authorities to make it looks like they are doing ‘stuff’. They should have had plans in place to deal with this.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2018, 10:31:37 am »
Terrorism lite. You can now paralyze major chunks of infrastructure without even having to kill or maime anyone.  Progress...?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2018, 10:45:48 am »
Just need some of those kids with their racer/stunt drones to take them out.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u6s5144AYO8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u6s5144AYO8</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2018, 11:01:30 am »
Feel sick watching that

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2018, 11:09:42 am »

50 sightings doesn't mean a lot without context. Someone spotting the drone a half-a-mile away across the airport doesn't really help locate the operator does it?

I am surprised that the Airports still dont have Anti-Drone guns at their disposal.

A simple signal jammer is all it takes really.

They aren't used because there are concerns about unintended consequences.   
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:12:05 am by A_lonely_Xmas_Without_Ewe! »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2018, 11:38:22 am »
Just need some of those kids with their racer/stunt drones to take them out.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u6s5144AYO8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u6s5144AYO8</a>

Flying drones with a VR headset must be awesome.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2018, 11:52:21 am »
They aren't used because there are concerns about unintended consequences.

Not really an expert but what unintended consequences do you mean?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2018, 11:52:54 am »
Flying drones with a VR headset must be awesome.

The Drone Racing on the free Sky Sports channel is brilliant.

Offline itsaknockuyt

• Kemlynite
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2018, 12:17:02 pm »
Would expect that they'll try to find them from their signal or maybe use some sort of Counter Drone like this video:

http://www.searchsystems.eu/sparrowhawk.html

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2018, 01:29:12 pm »
Imagine the chaos a no-deal Brexit would bring  ;)

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2018, 01:34:00 pm »
Probably a plane enthusiast or two just wanting to get a decent look at everything from a better angle, shit themselves and gone into hiding.

I'm trying to build myself up as a photographer at the minute and have been seriously contemplating getting a drone as it adds an extra spice to the packages I can offer and gets peoples heads turned.

When used right, they can turn something simple into something spectacular IMO.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2018, 01:42:41 pm »
Probably a plane enthusiast or two just wanting to get a decent look at everything from a better angle, shit themselves and gone into hiding.

I'm trying to build myself up as a photographer at the minute and have been seriously contemplating getting a drone as it adds an extra spice to the packages I can offer and gets peoples heads turned.

When used right, they can turn something simple into something spectacular IMO.

One of our mates got married at some psoh gaff on the Wirral this summer, the wedding was outside and there were plenty of opportunities to have got some great aerial shots with a drone.

Some of the videos our kid has shot are great, he followed one of his lads as he was kayaking off Bournemouth beach and got some great shots of the sunrise over the fields when he was filming a crop circle. Also caught a UFO over a crop circle. (It is a UFO as something flew into the circle below his drone and it wasn't another drone and they couldn't identify what it was)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2018, 01:55:06 pm »
Pretty sure they'll bring in legislation that'll stop MOP buying them, which would be a good thing.

They are very useful in many industries though.