Author Topic: United Ireland v United Kingdom  (Read 35120 times)

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
Re: United Ireland v United Kingdom
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2018, 11:51:25 am »
What are the benefits of that? Genuine question, would the new State gain from that or would it be more of a symbolic gesture for Unionists?

Another sports event for our athletes?

I think the practical benefits of Commonwealth membership are fairly minimal. It's not a bad shout though as a gesture. And there are already two other EU countries in the Commonwealth. As long as we can still be a Republic with our own head of state, can't see any reason not to.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2018, 12:02:02 pm »

Think of all the medals that Sonia O'Sullivan missed out on in the 90's because we weren't in the Commonwealth. 

I see we've just appointed a PSNI Deputy CC as our new Garda Commissioner, so we're halfway to merging the two forces anyway. Not sure the PSNI lads are up to speed about cancelling penalty points for their mates and stuff, but shouldn't be too difficult bringing them up to speed. I imagine they're on board with blackguarding any whistleblowers in the force.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2018, 01:09:01 pm »
Think of all the medals that Sonia O'Sullivan missed out on in the 90's because we weren't in the Commonwealth. 

I see we've just appointed a PSNI Deputy CC as our new Garda Commissioner, so we're halfway to merging the two forces anyway. Not sure the PSNI lads are up to speed about cancelling penalty points for their mates and stuff, but shouldn't be too difficult bringing them up to speed. I imagine they're on board with blackguarding any whistleblowers in the force.

Less easy pickings at the Commonwealth games for the long distance runners as Kenya are in there. You’re best off out if it.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2018, 02:07:46 pm »

I think the practical benefits of Commonwealth membership are fairly minimal. It's not a bad shout though as a gesture. And there are already two other EU countries in the Commonwealth. As long as we can still be a Republic with our own head of state, can't see any reason not to.
My thinking as well is we can weasal out of it in about 30 years after Prod to Taig conversion is complete

I've always maintained that we'd have a United Ireland if you let the Loyalists design the flag

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2018, 02:09:36 am »
My thinking as well is we can weasal out of it in about 30 years after Prod to Taig conversion is complete

I've always maintained that we'd have a United Ireland if you let the Loyalists design the flag

I can already imagine some of the designs for that flag already.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2018, 06:51:49 pm »
I can already imagine some of the designs for that flag already.
Let start with a Union Jack on steroids and go from there

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2018, 12:34:22 am »
Let start with a Union Jack on steroids and go from there

Orange, white and green version of this.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: July 5, 2018, 11:14:45 am »
Wouldn't Ireland's flag stay the same?  It already has orange on it representing Protestants.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #88 on: July 5, 2018, 11:36:01 am »
Wouldn't Ireland's flag stay the same?  It already has orange on it representing Protestants.

Common misconception. The orange in the flag is actually a tribute to the 1974 Holland team of Cruyff, Neeskens and Krol.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: July 5, 2018, 11:49:16 am »
Common misconception. The orange in the flag is actually a tribute to the 1974 Holland team of Cruyff, Neeskens and Krol.

It's actually an Italian flag that an Irish mother washed with a bit too much bleach.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #90 on: July 6, 2018, 12:55:52 am »
Health service in the North like the rest of the Uk is struggling.
Seeing a DR takes 3 weeks, the growth of private appointments and private clinics is systematic of this.
For me Brexit is the game changer rather than European people  we are either British or Irish and this coupled with the ease of movement throughout the Island , and the fall from grace of the RC church allows people to be more comfortable with the idea Of unification .
It might take 20 years but it will happen, something I never thought I would say.
I think the unionist people if we are to move peacefully towards it must be guaranteed a block in the Dail to give them some comfort.

A block I think should be unnecessary but a cultural right should be enforced and respected.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: July 6, 2018, 04:01:34 am »
Try telling that to Didier.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #92 on: July 6, 2018, 06:11:35 am »
Orange, white and green version of this.

Wouldn't it be counterintuitive to use a version of the Union Jack, whatever the colors?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: July 6, 2018, 08:17:59 am »
Wouldn't it be counterintuitive to use a version of the Union Jack, whatever the colors?

I was being facetious.

In all seriousness, maybe a blue flag with gold shamrock would an easy solution. Both the Union Jack and Standard of the President of Ireland are both blue. The latter is very similar to Standard of the Kingdom of Ireland which was used up to 1800.

Ideally, you want something simple so kids can draw it (not like the Sri Lankan flag)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2018, 08:50:48 am »
Not sure if this is the right thread but what’s all this about burning cars and pipe bombs because they told the loyalists to have smaller bonfires?
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2018, 09:32:34 am »
Not sure if this is the right thread but what’s all this about burning cars and pipe bombs because they told the loyalists to have smaller bonfires?

Blimey Geoff how far back do you want to go?  ;)

The Black and Tans, King Billy, Cromwell, Elizabeth I, the Normans. The list is long, and that's a truncated version.

On another note I'm out in Liverpool today with two mates. The three of us were all brought up as Catholic and it won't make any difference to where we go. Certainly in my dad's day there were definite green or orange pubs in Liverpool and woe betide you if you went in to the wrong one.

But back to NI. Basically they should all get a life, listen to some Young Rascals and have some chilled beer in the park.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2018, 05:50:32 am »

Well, smaller isn't really in the vernacular for some of these people, as bigger is better, almost every year, despite the clear and obvious danger to themselves and the surrounding buildings. Often homes that have people actually in them when they spark these offensive eyesores up. The smaller one sandwiched between two rows of buildings was taken down, partially; and the bigger one declined to have those banners removed, which was later published and condemned later in the media. But, hey - culture.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 05:52:55 am by Macphisto80 »

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2018, 07:04:44 am »
I was being facetious.

In all seriousness, maybe a blue flag with gold shamrock would an easy solution. Both the Union Jack and Standard of the President of Ireland are both blue. The latter is very similar to Standard of the Kingdom of Ireland which was used up to 1800.

Ideally, you want something simple so kids can draw it (not like the Sri Lankan flag)
If you think the Sri Lankan flag is complicated, try the Nepalese flag for size! It might appear a fairly simple design compared to many others, but...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Nepal

http://www.servat.unibe.ch/icl/np01000_.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Gne3UHKHs

That's pretty bonkers.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:07:11 am by Jiminy Cricket »
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2018, 07:49:08 am »

How does that get built and stay up in the first place?!  It’s about eight storeys high.  Building a new Ireland should be relatively easy compared to that.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2018, 12:28:17 am »
Every year, a mile from my house, a massive bonfire is built right on the side of a duel carriageway. I think they receive funding from the council to build it. Every year it destroys the road and the taxpayer foots the bill for it to be resurfaced. 

I'm waiting for the day it collapses onto traffic while being built.

It's pretty much a metaphor for Northern Ireland.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2018, 12:31:43 am »
Every year, a mile from my house, a massive bonfire is built right on the side of a duel carriageway. I think they receive funding from the council to build it. Every year it destroys the road and the taxpayer foots the bill for it to be resurfaced. 

I'm waiting for the day it collapses onto traffic while being built.

It's pretty much a metaphor for Northern Ireland.

There’s lots of potholes round here, so I may give this a go to get them fixed.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2018, 04:59:11 am »
How does that get built and stay up in the first place?!  It’s about eight storeys high.  Building a new Ireland should be relatively easy compared to that.
As has been said, they get funding for it. Yes, funded to build fire and environmental hazards that any other city, province, country on the planet would immediately deem illegal. That particular one must have cost the local council a couple of grand to build it alone. There's video of one that was so tall that a crane was required to build it, despite the advice from structural engineers, it toppled. It's only a matter of time before someone dies, but the result of that would probably be more funding.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2018, 09:01:04 am »
As has been said, they get funding for it. Yes, funded to build fire and environmental hazards that any other city, province, country on the planet would immediately deem illegal. That particular one must have cost the local council a couple of grand to build it alone. There's video of one that was so tall that a crane was required to build it, despite the advice from structural engineers, it toppled. It's only a matter of time before someone dies, but the result of that would probably be more funding.

My neighbour got fined for using a small wood-burning chiminea outside his home last month.  He tried to make the point about the bonfires but nothing...

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2018, 01:10:56 pm »

An understandable but mistaken take from NI outsiders. That does indeed have a small part to play but there have been a number of concentrated attacks on smaller unionist communities in the north which seems to have brought out the darker elements in the city. The small Protestant Fountain Estate on the Derry's Walls side of the river Foyle (small because Protestants were forced to leave their homes during the upheaval in the sixties and seventies) was under systemic attack from youths from the republican Bogside area in Derry. For about three nights or so stones were thrown into the estate damaging unionist homes and terrifying families.

Also in rural areas a number of bonfires were attacked by nationalists and burned down before the eleventh night. For those of you in England, this is seen in working class Protestant areas as a direct attack on their working class culture (which is right wing as opposed to left wing). The police have blamed a lot of the trouble outside of Belfast on dissident republicans which seems to be why the UVF lashed out. It is worth remembering that terrorism still exists in our country and the dissident republicans are still classed as the most dangerous threat, even by MI5 themselves.

One final little anecdote about how horrible this place can be, a man and a woman were arrested in Randalstown after a video emerged of the man in full Provisional IRA garb aiming a AK-47 at a pre-Twelfth church parade of kids and their families and pretending to kill them all. Thankfully this moron has been arrested.

Before anyone says one side is as bad as the other, yes I know. My lot have as much bad in them as the other lot, but for the country to properly move forward each other's traditions need to be respected. I have attended Catholic parades in the past out of curiosity as well. The harder people try to demonise an Irishman (and I am an Irishman, just of a different 'colour') the harder he will stick to his beliefs. The media would do well to remember this when they're mocking us.

They wouldn't have the balls to say it to our face, and that's the tragedy of it all. The UK/Ireland etc. talk a lot about liberty, freedom of religion and conscience etc. But do they really believe in it?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2018, 01:11:48 pm »
You could get good money for those palettes.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2018, 01:43:27 pm »

Doubt it... couriers usually won't take pallets back from deliveries nowadays because there is no money in them and they just have to dispose of them themselves. We regularly get large deliveries of IT equipment on pallets and the courier refuses to take them away.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2018, 07:15:10 pm »

i could use a few on my allotment
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2018, 10:25:33 am »
It'd be fucking nice if Sinn Fein actually turned up in the Commons to vote on the most important subject on these islands instead of sticking with their childish abstentionism policy.  How about representing your constituents and the majority of the people of Ireland?

They'll still take their Westminster salary and expenses, and still have their summer drinks receptions there though.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2018, 10:47:56 am »
and still have their summer drinks receptions there though.
Is this true?  I can see how taking the money and not going makes some kind of sense, but actually going for the champers and the canapés, come on.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2018, 11:03:53 am »
Is this true?  I can see how taking the money and not going makes some kind of sense, but actually going for the champers and the canapés, come on.

https://twitter.com/sinnfeinireland/status/1014448935249866752

A great night enjoyed by friends and supporters last night at the Sinn Féin Summer Reception in Westminster.

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2018, 12:35:02 am »
Keep the political shite out of this thread please, there is a thread (usually embarrassing for us all but given the brexit nonsense paying for bonfires etc. is not too bad - at least its a positive in comparison, at least someone has a good night on the piss :) )

Good post generally purple, I might pick up on a few points but why bother as that is what we have to accept to be positive.

Before anyone says one side is as bad as the other, yes I know. My lot have as much bad in them as the other lot, but for the country to properly move forward each other's traditions need to be respected. I have attended Catholic parades in the past out of curiosity as well. The harder people try to demonise an Irishman (and I am an Irishman, just of a different 'colour') the harder he will stick to his beliefs. The media would do well to remember this when they're mocking us.

They wouldn't have the balls to say it to our face, and that's the tragedy of it all. The UK/Ireland etc. talk a lot about liberty, freedom of religion and conscience etc. But do they really believe in it?

Agree, as does John Hume, that it is not about winning, it is giving people time to find the right path for themselves, to force it is not to accept our human rights. However you do touch on one of the major points of my differentiator between a UI and UK, "liberty, freedom of religion and conscience etc. But do they really believe in it?" Westminster is heading back to the 70s and 80s, the MPs know best and the populace should follow, step out and you are a criminal - I was there once, not by action but by birth. The EU and therefore Ireland have so many cultures there is no choice but to give equality, within the EU there is collaborative power across the minorities. Those that identify as british in NI would (and will soon be - which is not a negative) be a minority in NI but the irrevocable back stop is EU law that a United Ireland would have to adopt - this is the greatest achievement of the EU IMO.

IMO the UK future is one of conflict (not saying its a return of the past) but UI is joint effort.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2018, 04:19:26 pm »
Yeah, it looks like Sinn Fein and the SDLP are laying the groundwork of "New Ireland".

I now have no doubt that Brexit will result in Unification. How long that takes in practice- I have no idea.

Does the Good Friday Agreement get trumped by Brexit legislation? It feels like for some aspects one must trump the other.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2018, 06:31:35 pm »
I'm from the Republic and have zero interest in a United Ireland.

So am I and I fully support a United Ireland.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2018, 06:40:40 pm »
https://twitter.com/sinnfeinireland/status/1014448935249866752

A great night enjoyed by friends and supporters last night at the Sinn Féin Summer Reception in Westminster.

I know them well.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2018, 11:17:24 pm »

So am I and I fully support a United Ireland.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2018, 08:57:02 am »

That fella on the right isn't even making a proper fist. His thumbs are going to be sore if he misses his mark.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2018, 10:53:08 am »
That fella on the right isn't even making a proper fist. His thumbs are going to be sore if he misses his mark.

Difficult to make a fist if you are taking a photo mate!    :wave

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2018, 04:32:26 pm »
I like my stance ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2018, 11:57:11 pm »

I respect your opinion but Why?

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2018, 07:11:24 am »
Is there more of an appetite for a United Ireland from the younger demographics who aren’t as entrenched and arsed by all the sectarian bollocks? In the past year it must be clear as day that Westminster do not give a single fuck about the union anymore and hold N. Ireland in contempt almost.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:13:50 am by OneTouchFooty »