Author Topic: North and South Korea Vow to End Hostilities in Historic Accord  (Read 80742 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: North Korea massing 50,000 troops on border
« Reply #200 on: May 14, 2017, 10:45:07 am »
Doesn't seem like this one was a failure.  If anything NK seems to be stepping up it's missile tests  rather than pull back.

Like I said, and some pundits have alluded to, NK is an attention whore.  Their one desire is to be taken seriously as a global power.  Donald Trump has, to some extent, done that; so it stands to reason that they would ramp things up to try and get another response.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: June 13, 2017, 08:40:38 pm »
The student jailed in NK for swiping a sign has been released, but apparently he's in a coma.

Popcorn's Art

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: June 16, 2017, 07:24:18 am »
Mr Warmbier "shows no understanding of language" and has "extensive loss of brain tissue" which was likely caused by cardiopulmonary arrest."

One can only imagine what he has had to endure.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #203 on: June 20, 2017, 03:00:20 am »
Otto Warmbier, US student sent home from North Korea, dies

The American student who was released last week after being held in captivity for more than 15 months in North Korea has died, his family says.

Otto Warmbier, 22, returned to the US last Tuesday, but it emerged he had been in a coma for a year.

North Korea said botulism led to the coma, but a team of US doctors who assessed him dispute this account.

Mr Warmbier was sentenced to 15 years of hard labour for attempting to steal a propaganda sign from a hotel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40335169

Poor lad :(

Fucking horrible this.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: June 20, 2017, 09:46:20 am »
Absolutely horrible news.

While for us in the developed world its easy to have a good old chuckle at the pariah state and its eccentricities (I know because I've done it), we shouldn't forget that the Kim's enforce one of the most barbaric, brutal and cruel regimes on the face of the planet.

Thoughts with his loved ones and everyone else who's suffered under that shitarse government.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: June 20, 2017, 09:56:16 am »
Said at the time that it was a stupid prank that showed a stark ignorance of the country he was visiting if he thought some guard would just chuckled and wave it off, but nobody deserves this.  A young life utterly wasted because a hostile and barbaric nation wanted to send a message and act tough. 

Looks like they royally shit themselves when Warmbier's condition deteriorated, and with good reason.  The current occupant of the White House makes for a tinderbox situation.

Just very sad about all of this.  RIP to the young man. :(

Popcorn's Art

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #206 on: June 20, 2017, 10:04:43 am »
Said at the time that it was a stupid prank that showed a stark ignorance of the country he was visiting if he thought some guard would just chuckled and wave it off, but nobody deserves this.  A young life utterly wasted because a hostile and barbaric nation wanted to send a message and act tough. 

Looks like they royally shit themselves when Warmbier's condition deteriorated, and with good reason.  The current occupant of the White House makes for a tinderbox situation.

Just very sad about all of this.  RIP to the young man. :(

Did he do it? I remember reading an article that said the cctv footage was training and inconclusive and his confession was coerced?

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: June 20, 2017, 10:19:46 am »
Did he do it? I remember reading an article that said the cctv footage was training and inconclusive and his confession was coerced?

That's news to me.  At the time on here the general consensus was that he had pulled some kind of typical student prank, maybe as a dare or something.

It's easy to imagine anybody being coerced by NK, but equally, it may be easier to believe this was NK being brutal to an innocent man, rather than consider he might have actually done something to trigger them.  At the end of the day, when you visit a nation that considers you a representative of a hostile, enemy nation, then you have to be on your absolute best behaviour.

Of course, if NK decided to just single him out on a made up charge it makes it even more horrific, and only adds to an incendiary political situation.

Popcorn's Art

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #208 on: June 20, 2017, 10:24:06 am »
Poor guy, I do feel sorry for him and not to disrespect the diseased but why oh why do people voluntarily go to places like this, we all know what it's like, it's pure mental.

If he was like some investigative journalist or whatever then I could deffo see it but just going...to go as a tourist? For fun? What goes on there is not fun or touristy, it's a horrible regime that treats people below human conditions as unfortunately this young lad found out.

Botulism as well... if he did have it I'd hazard a guess he didn't pick it up by accident :(

RIP

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: June 20, 2017, 10:36:53 am »

Botulism as well... if he did have it I'd hazard a guess he didn't pick it up by accident :(

RIP

He was sentenced to 15 years hard labour, but he's been in a coma for the past year.  He was only jailed something like 15 months ago.  It could have been anything, really.  The combination of starvation rations and hard work could have caused a complete physical collapse that left him very vulnerable to any kind of infection or disease. 

I imagine that, even somebody in relatively good physical condition, suddenly eating food that's barely nourishing, combined with strenuous physical activity, could easily stress the body to breaking point very quickly.  He could have fainted and hit his head, or suffered a heart attack, as unlikely as it might seem for somebody so young.  Or a guard may have just casually cracked him over the back of the head with his stick as he walked past.  Likely we'll never know for sure.

Popcorn's Art

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #210 on: June 21, 2017, 12:19:58 am »

the punishment did not fit the apparent crime at all and I always wonder when young people get caught up in some bizarre nations is that the subtext is spying

pretty sure we will never know

or it may well be as simple as it sounds and he had a ridiculous sentence and paid an insane price

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #211 on: July 16, 2017, 01:45:12 pm »
Thats what you call a medal collection I wonder what they are for.

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #212 on: July 16, 2017, 01:48:22 pm »

I got my Golden Arrow at Cubs and even I didn't have that many badges.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #213 on: July 16, 2017, 02:19:22 pm »

10m breaststroke. 20m breaststroke. 30m breaststroke. 40m.....
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #214 on: July 16, 2017, 02:22:07 pm »
They're fucked if South Korea invests in giant magnets.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #215 on: July 16, 2017, 02:25:05 pm »
10m breaststroke. 20m breaststroke. 30m breaststroke. 40m.....
Imagine the poor sod who has to carry his suitcases
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: July 16, 2017, 02:52:57 pm »
3 months without betraying our glorious leader, 4 months etc.

Popcorn's Art

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #217 on: July 16, 2017, 11:01:46 pm »

Probably best if they use Brillo brass cleaner than the dry cleaners.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #218 on: July 17, 2017, 10:37:23 am »

They might be match badges, Real Pyongyang v Atletico Kangwon etc etc
Legacy fan

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #219 on: July 17, 2017, 10:39:51 am »
They might be match badges, Real Pyongyang v Atletico Kangwon etc etc

I saw that game.

Kim Jong scored a blinder from 140 yards.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #220 on: July 17, 2017, 10:42:22 am »
I saw that game.

Kim Jong scored a blinder from 140 yards.

And bad bootle meff scored a hat-trick
Legacy fan

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #221 on: July 17, 2017, 11:47:09 am »
They're fucked if South Korea invests in giant magnets.
hahahaha

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #222 on: July 17, 2017, 11:58:26 am »
And bad bootle meff scored a hat-trick

Beat me to the punch. :)

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #223 on: July 17, 2017, 01:55:01 pm »
Arnold J Rimmer's paradise

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #224 on: July 17, 2017, 02:06:26 pm »
I wonder if they are even metal more than likely plastic.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #225 on: July 17, 2017, 03:20:18 pm »
Probably best if they use Brillo brass cleaner than the dry cleaners.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #227 on: July 27, 2017, 12:04:38 am »
They are saying another missile test maybe hours away depending on weather.

Lots of movement around the missile launch site.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #228 on: July 28, 2017, 04:16:18 pm »
Japan saying that they have just launched another missile nothing else is know about it right now.

I guess thats another medal for all of them.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 04:22:49 pm by Trada »

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #229 on: July 28, 2017, 04:47:37 pm »
 Japanese military believes North Korea could have test-launched another intercontinental ballistic missile and came within 230 miles of their coast.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 05:02:25 pm by Trada »

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: July 28, 2017, 05:18:14 pm »
These boys are just asking to be annihlated by the rest of the world now. What are these daft pricks trying to achieve with the antagonising?

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #231 on: July 28, 2017, 10:48:02 pm »
Strong suggestions that the missile had the range to reach most of Europe and continental USA. They don't have a small enough nuclear warhead to put on it, but then there are other things which could be used given NK's known capabilities in chemical and biological weapons. (see Michael Lewis' article in Vanity Fair this month for a former senior US Department of Energy official highlighting this risk.)

http://thediplomat.com/2017/07/north-korea-just-tested-a-missile-that-could-likely-reach-washington-dc-with-a-nuclear-weapon/
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: July 28, 2017, 11:18:07 pm »
These boys are just asking to be annihlated by the rest of the world now. What are these daft pricks trying to achieve with the antagonising?
a part of me thinks the rest of the world are fine with this dick swinging to look tough to their own people as long as they don't actually attack them (and of course they'd destroy them)

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #233 on: July 29, 2017, 07:48:42 pm »
It wouldn't surprise me one iota to wake up one morning and read that north Korea has been hit with one of those US made "mother of all bombs" overnight .....i can honestly see Trump sanctioning it
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 07:51:26 pm by goalspaytherent »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: July 29, 2017, 08:53:13 pm »
As I said before, this isn't so much about NK threatening the the US as it is about them wanting to prevent a US response if/when they invade SK.

It's about them being able to say, "you can wipe us out, but we can still kill millions of Americans before you do."

So the issue is now, do we have a second Korean War before the North develops nukes?  Or does the West gamble the security of the Far East on the chance NK gets nukes but is content to remain within their borders?

Hell, knowing the Orange One he will probably take some random NK insult personally and order a pre-emptive strike on an insane whim.

Popcorn's Art

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: July 30, 2017, 02:17:24 am »
As I said before, this isn't so much about NK threatening the the US as it is about them wanting to prevent a US response if/when they invade SK.

It's about them being able to say, "you can wipe us out, but we can still kill millions of Americans before you do."

So the issue is now, do we have a second Korean War before the North develops nukes?  Or does the West gamble the security of the Far East on the chance NK gets nukes but is content to remain within their borders?

Hell, knowing the Orange One he will probably take some random NK insult personally and order a pre-emptive strike on an insane whim.
This isn't a case of mutually assured destruction, he's got a screw loose. China could cut off 80% of their trade and kill their economy overnight, let nature take it's course as he gets overthrown. Instead we're sleepwalking towards a very difficult conversation.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #236 on: July 30, 2017, 03:54:47 am »
Not sure how easily common people would overthrow him. It's a firmly closed, deeply repressive and technologically backward regime. This won't be like East Germany or Poland, where ordinary citizens end the ruling regime by democratic protests. The likes of China, South Korea and Russia are the keys to any regime change there. I recently read a book about the history of North Korea that notes the regime has always ran on a bizarre notion of self-proclaimed self-sufficiency, which was anything but, since it largely entailed playing friendly countries (China, USSR, East Germany) off each other in order to extract more benefits for the regime.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: July 30, 2017, 07:49:03 am »
This isn't a case of mutually assured destruction, he's got a screw loose. China could cut off 80% of their trade and kill their economy overnight, let nature take it's course as he gets overthrown. Instead we're sleepwalking towards a very difficult conversation.

You honestly think North Korea would launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike against the US? 

This isn't about MAD.  North Korea WILL use nukes if they feel they have nothing to lose, but it's part of the bigger game of trying to control how America responds.  I personally don't believe this is even about America, which I think is a misconception that dogs a lot of Western thinking.  It's all down to the North wanting to kick the South's ass, but the threat of American intervention prevents that. 

If a combined South Korean/US force threw off a NK assault and set one foot inside their territory all hell would break loose.  The North would empty its silos. 

So the issue is, what might Trump do in the next three and a half years?

Popcorn's Art

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: July 30, 2017, 07:55:40 am »
Why do the Yanks insist on having THAAD in the region when it pisses off everyone like China? Or is that the reason why they put THAAD there?

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: July 30, 2017, 12:13:26 pm »
Not sure how easily common people would overthrow him. It's a firmly closed, deeply repressive and technologically backward regime. This won't be like East Germany or Poland, where ordinary citizens end the ruling regime by democratic protests. The likes of China, South Korea and Russia are the keys to any regime change there. I recently read a book about the history of North Korea that notes the regime has always ran on a bizarre notion of self-proclaimed self-sufficiency, which was anything but, since it largely entailed playing friendly countries (China, USSR, East Germany) off each other in order to extract more benefits for the regime.

The book I'm on (Dear leader Jang Jin-Sung), they remove the "South Korea" label from imported food aid to keep the masses oblivious. Claiming self sufficiency and you can't even feed people the basics without the help of your sworn enemy.

What exactly does victory looks like at this stage for the Kim Dyanasty? This is about as good as it gets: a one party state, absolute adoration from the people. Why is Jung-Un prepared to risk all that?

I hope for an internal coup from within the Workers Party (and those wise to their global status) but from everything I've read, they are so well looked after in comparison to the impoverished in the country, why would they want to change anything? Perhaps someday they can open their doors to globalisation but remain under one party control like China. That's if they aren't obliterated in time.   
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown