Author Topic: Chess World Championship  (Read 56688 times)

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
Re: Chess World Championship
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2016, 08:58:08 pm »
They're back. And yes, it's getting interesting...

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2016, 09:11:51 pm »
20 moves each to play... Karjakin with 50 mins, Carlsen with 40, and it's looking a little sharp here. Potentially.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2016, 09:16:17 pm »
Gustaffson mutes his sneeze ;D

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2016, 09:21:54 pm »
16 mins and counting for what could be a game changer of a move for Karjakin.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2016, 09:28:58 pm »
34 mins! Am wondering for black if he should just throw up his h pawn ... just chuck it up there... white's in no real position to do much i don't think...

ok.. Bd5. I can't shake my blitz chess head.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2016, 09:36:11 pm »
I was also wondering about ... Qh4 which I think forces white to play h3 to prevent mate.. and then ... Nf4!?

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2016, 09:57:10 pm »
didn't expect 23 Rdxd4... a minute a move each now.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2016, 10:24:25 pm »
It's started to look like a draw again. The clocks may add an edge of course, but looks a draw now. But at least there was an air of blood tonight.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2016, 10:27:07 pm »
I'm getting old. Completely missed black's move before white moved the bishop to g2 and can't even make out what it might have been...

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2016, 10:45:19 pm »
I'm getting old. Completely missed black's move before white moved the bishop to g2 and can't even make out what it might have been...

moves being played out here... https://worldchess.com/nyc2016/ you can review at will

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2016, 10:54:37 pm »
33 Nxe6!??

meant move 38.. Nxe6. That looked mental to me, but saying it's drawing?... then 41 e4! Looks good to me!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 11:00:57 pm by Filler. »

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2016, 11:00:26 pm »
How does the timing work on this - both clocks were showing running down to less than a minute and then jumped up to around 50 minutes again?

Cheers
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2016, 11:06:46 pm »
They have to make 40 moves in 1 hr 40 mins. Used to be 2 hours. Then after that gets ticked off.. there's another 50 minutes each for each player to play another 20 moves I think.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2016, 11:09:29 pm »
33 Nxe6!??

meant move 38.. Nxe6. That looked mental to me, but saying it's drawing?... then 41 e4! Looks good to me!

Yeah, looked mental, but in the end those guys are simply playing at a level where they're not making any "obvious" or "real" mistakes like normal players do. For me that makes it a bit hard to comprehend what they're doing at times if the commentators aren't pointing it out.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2016, 11:12:31 pm »
They have to make 40 moves in 1 hr 40 mins. Used to be 2 hours. Then after that gets ticked off.. there's another 50 minutes each for each player to play another 20 moves I think.

They also get 30 additional seconds for every move they make. Something I absolutely hate... ;)

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2016, 11:22:09 pm »
What I need is some commentary that is directly linked to the game being played out, but you have to pay for that. I'm looking at the board on the official website, following it there, plus watching the youtube commentary which is about 2 mins behind it seems. Plus I have a board infront of me 'as black', and I was in a mess for a moment there ;D

Looking at the board here, it's looking good for black to me. Those pawns look quite powerful tho for these GM's I guess it's a problem that will need some simple, and calculated moves to stop them advancing.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2016, 11:39:07 pm »
With the possible moves and variations they're showing and playing through I can see how a draw might be the most likely outcome. But I would have thought black was in a better position as well just going by the board a couple of moves ago...

Offline redforlife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2016, 11:49:14 pm »
Cheers guys  :)
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2016, 11:51:18 pm »
And I want to believe that what Svidler is drinking is actually vodka straight from the bottle... ;)

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2016, 11:53:31 pm »
Interesting knight move. Surely white has to play Qe2.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2016, 11:53:54 pm »
And I want to believe that what Svidler is drinking is actually vodka straight from the bottle... ;)

;D of course!

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2016, 11:55:43 pm »
or Qe6... ha

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2016, 12:07:13 am »
52... a2

expect a resignation from Carlsen! Yep... resigned...

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2016, 12:08:41 am »
Wow... Didn't expect that.

Offline redforlife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2016, 12:08:57 am »
I'm missing something here, why wasn't Qa2 the move to make?
Didi Hamann

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2016, 12:16:20 am »
The white queen moves away, and the black knight checks on g4, with the black queen then moving to g1 threatening Qh2 mate. Bishop moves? Nf2 check, and the queen would have to take the knight and then gets taken by the queen for nothing... I think anyway!

Offline redforlife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2016, 12:25:33 am »
Yeh, that would make sense.  Trying to play through a scenario where if the black knight moved to g4, and the King moves to H1, does that block off the route for the queen...

...in fact no, queen just moves to c1 and the bishop blocking is the only out, but queen takes bishop and it's over anyway.

Used to play a lot when I was a lot younger, never seem to have to time to take it up again now.  Interesting following the games though.
Didi Hamann

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2016, 12:29:59 am »
As the old cliche goes... 'this game needs a goal', and Karjakin has bagged one as black. Huge moment.

Both players have white for two games now. A days 'rest' and then game 9 starts. Carlsen's camp needs to do something special I reckon.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2016, 01:01:04 am »
Used to play a lot when I was a lot younger, never seem to have to time to take it up again now.  Interesting following the games though.

I played a lot as well when I was in my teens. Ever since I went to study away from home it got less and less. I do play for my team in the regional championships once or twice a year and I kind of enjoy it. Then again, I'm mostly losing my games simply because I keep making one big mistake every time due to a lack of what you'd call "match-fitness" in football. I think, if I played on a regular basis, I'd be a decent player in our league. It's just that I can't really be arsed to play more (like once a week). I do enjoy watching it though like tonight...

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2016, 01:41:46 am »
I'm not a very good chess player. I grew up with arty, music loving, dope smoking, guinness drinking, pool playing drop outs, and we all played chess. I probably put a death nell on our earlier enthusiasm, as I was more interested in chess than dope, so when I piped up with a 'anyone for a game of chess?', I'd get a 'oh fuck off'. More often than not, I'd win. For a time I kidded myself I was quite good, but I wasn't. I still play it - a game every 2 days vs a chess app, which doesn't compare.

Alot of my early love encounters involved chess. For a few months there, it was a chat up line of mine . Not a hugely successful one, but just occasionally, it worked. My wife for instance. Who, once, while playing chess online had this as a comment... 'why don't you learn some openings and elevate yourself from your clueless c*nt?

She recounted this story to me and well.. it was love.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/X8w3eW1huCM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/X8w3eW1huCM</a>

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2016, 09:36:00 am »
Never tried picking up a girl with chess, but might have to give it a try some time... ;)

When I was a kid I used to play a lot of chess with my dad. He was massively into it (and still is), so he showed me how to play at quite an early age. Joined a club when I was 10 or so together with some mates. Played mainly in regional youth team-competitions and we even won a championship once (against opponents who were much younger than we were, but we had to start at the lowest level or so). Later, I started playing for the adult-team, but shortly afterwards had to stop because of University. The funny thing is, once I joined the club I pretty much stopped playing for fun or in my spare-time...

I was never really fond of learning openings. There are some rules you need to know about what you should and shouldn't do at the start of the game (and afterwards), but I don't really see the point in knowing all the openings and their variations. Knowing about them can be helpful to get an idea of what an opening should achieve, but I don't like doing things according to a certain schematic all the time... That might be a reason why I never really turned into a good player though... ;)

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2016, 04:45:37 pm »
Never tried picking up a girl with chess, but might have to give it a try some time... ;)

All in the delivery mate, all in the delivery. I hated 'chat-up lines' with a passion, but occassionally brought out a chess introduction. More for my own ammusement really. For another thread maybe ;D

So Carlsen walked out of his presser after the game the other day - been universally panned for it. Tonights game will be more than intruiging. Looking forward to it.

I remember reading an article years ago about that moment when a son or daughter beats his father at chess for the first time - and that basically, the child is ready to flee the nest after that. The shift in emphasis changes. Can't remember who wrote it, but was a lovely story about a chess loving father and his kids. Mine are too young right now, but I remember when my wife first beat me, and I wanted her to flee too.

Never really played much as a youngster - i got interested in it when i was 16 but the chess club was a bit geeky for me back then. Was only when I left school that I started getting more and more interested in it. For a while I got slightly obsessed, going through games in the papers everyday, solving the puzzles, buying books, reading about it in libraries, buying a chess computer. And I spent hours learning lines... but I'm not sure if I ever really learned anything worthwhile. For about 8 years I must have played about 10 blitz games a day on the old chessclub site... 10 mins each side, and that probably ruined me. It's not a good way to learn about chess, but great fun. Lots of internet abuse from opponents. But held my own against an Israeli IM which I'm quite proud of - failed to see a really obvious mating opportunity in the deciding game which still irritates me 15 years later. Draw.

Am giving some thoughts to teaching 6-8 year olds the game at my sons school. About my level sadly. If the curriculum was up to me it would be taught in all schools at that age.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2016, 06:47:45 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9Hcq54uo3i0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9Hcq54uo3i0</a>

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2016, 07:12:19 pm »
Rapid stuff... so fast that the commentary is almost 10 moves behind. I think it will pause for a while after 16... Nh5

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2016, 07:33:02 pm »
6 mins or so for Karjakin to think about 20 exd4... Carlsen replies within a second... 20... c4 - or at least seemed to!

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2016, 09:01:13 pm »
In think Karjakin is going to win this game.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2016, 09:09:16 pm »
Yay... 30 Rg1. Tis what I'd play.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: November 23, 2016, 09:10:58 pm »
There is now alot of potential pressure going on here on the black king. Just can't see anything interesting for black to play and with two bishops too...

Online CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2016, 09:17:56 pm »
Mondays night, to Fillers B2

'The nostalgia move'
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2016, 09:41:14 pm »
'The nostalgia move'

Oh yes ;D Fondly remember watching that as a kid. I think chess makes great telly. Gustaffson just now mentioned that a number of people were tweeting in to concentrate on the game and stop diverting onto other subjects when there's a bit of a pause, but then you'd miss out on a German and a Russian talking about British comedy (particularly Monty Python and Fawlty Towers). It's the asides which makes it enjoyable.

So yes.. bring chess back onto the telly. All the games here are being played in full on Norway's equivalent to BBC1 - prime time viewing.