Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3467449 times)

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #53880 on: October 13, 2021, 10:31:36 am »
They're making a new Home Alone movie ugh
What will that be, the 8th one?

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53881 on: October 13, 2021, 10:37:45 am »

The trailer doesn't look great.

Basically Kevin waits for his family to leave before grabbing his laptop and his favourite crusty sports sock.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #53882 on: October 13, 2021, 10:55:22 am »
The trailer doesn't look great.

Basically Kevin waits for his family to leave before grabbing his laptop and his favourite crusty sports sock.

:D

Provisional title: Working From Home Alone

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #53883 on: October 13, 2021, 02:00:01 pm »
Saw ‘Many Saints of Newark’ and thought it was flat and mediocre. Sure it connected a lot of dots from the show, but as a standalone piece it really isn’t that good. Ray Liotta as bookworm jazz nut convict was my favourite character. Also Junior is a thunder-c*nt, but we already knew that.
But did young Anthony show anything to suggest he had the makings of a varsity athlete?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53884 on: October 13, 2021, 02:30:16 pm »
Did giggle when he said that. 😁

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #53885 on: October 14, 2021, 06:43:27 pm »

Just seen the trailer. Literally taken direct quotes from the original. Don’t understand what they’re trying to achieve with it.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53886 on: October 14, 2021, 09:05:21 pm »
Robert the Bruce. Some beautiful scenery and some decent acting, but the film was slow and boring. It never got going.

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #53887 on: October 15, 2021, 04:00:32 pm »
Watched Queen & Slim before. Thought it was really good. Strong ending and really hit home.

Was angry watching it just like the events of last year.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #53888 on: October 17, 2021, 07:11:11 pm »
Dune has been released,HD with surround sound
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53889 on: October 17, 2021, 07:14:54 pm »
Dune has been released,HD with surround sound

Amazing, check my latest post in the TV thread. You seem like a man that may be able to answer my question  ;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53890 on: October 17, 2021, 07:21:53 pm »
Took the eldest to see Venom this afternoon, he really enjoyed it. Ste Grahan does a shit American accent.

Don't get why its a 15 though, wanted to take the youngest but he looks 11, the eldest is 13 but 6ft tall so easy got him in.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #53891 on: October 18, 2021, 12:27:41 pm »
So the new Scream film is a sequel because they have the old cast in it but it's called Scream not Scream umm 23 or whatever they were up to? Looks crap anyway :D

It's called Scream 5 so it is a sequel.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #53892 on: October 18, 2021, 12:38:13 pm »
Watched about 80 minutes of Dune till I turned it off as it was so boring. Terrible film.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53893 on: October 18, 2021, 02:54:28 pm »
Watched about 80 minutes of Dune till I turned it off as it was so boring. Terrible film.

Which Dune was this?

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #53894 on: October 18, 2021, 03:07:29 pm »
It's called Scream 5 so it is a sequel.

Oh they have actually called it 5? Still not watching it, Although for a horror, Courtney Cox does look scary as fuck!

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53895 on: October 18, 2021, 04:06:55 pm »
Oh they have actually called it 5? Still not watching it, Although for a horror, Courtney Cox does look scary as fuck!

They haven't, it's title is just 'Scream'.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #53896 on: October 18, 2021, 04:09:58 pm »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53897 on: October 18, 2021, 04:52:51 pm »
The remake.

It dragged a little bit because Villeneuve would only direct if allowed to split it into 2 films,second one hasn't even been greenlit yet.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53898 on: October 18, 2021, 06:19:17 pm »
Quite liked The Last Duel, shame that it has performed poorly at the box office. Scouser Jodie Comer was fantastic in it. Liked Affleck and Driver's performances too. A loud, blatant and unapologetic movie for the MeToo era.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53899 on: October 18, 2021, 06:43:06 pm »
Quite liked The Last Duel, shame that it has performed poorly at the box office. Scouser Jodie Comer was fantastic in it. Liked Affleck and Driver's performances too. A loud, blatant and unapologetic movie for the MeToo era.

Jodie Comer is great, but Affleck, Damon and Ridley Scott are hardly great at subtlety - they take a sledgehammer approach with their messages think. Would have been better in the hands of better writers and director.

As per usual with Scott, a great idea but poorly executed.

As for Comer, isn’t it great to see a leading British actor who isn’t a posh southerner who had it all handed to her on a plate? Real genuine talent.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53900 on: October 18, 2021, 07:18:30 pm »

It was also going to struggle with an 18 certificate.

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53901 on: October 18, 2021, 11:13:21 pm »
Jodie Comer is great, but Affleck, Damon and Ridley Scott are hardly great at subtlety - they take a sledgehammer approach with their messages think. Would have been better in the hands of better writers and director.
It definitely isn't subtle, but I think that's perfect for the topic at hand in the film. We may agree to disagree, but I think subtlety and dancing around the issue with regards to women's rights has been done enough in the past.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #53902 on: October 19, 2021, 07:19:26 am »
just saw Dune - loved it

but i didn't know the fucker was in two parts (altho it dawned on me as i watched), so that's a bit of a pisser, how fucking long do i have to wait for the last part, shite
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #53903 on: October 19, 2021, 09:41:53 am »
so that's a bit of a pisser, how fucking long do i have to wait for the last part, shite

That's how Mark Kermode ended his review as well

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53904 on: October 19, 2021, 10:09:01 am »
just saw Dune - loved it

but i didn't know the fucker was in two parts (altho it dawned on me as i watched), so that's a bit of a pisser, how fucking long do i have to wait for the last part, shite

Probably longer than you'd like if people don't pay to see it.  I would imagine Part II is very much dependant on how successful Dune is, Villeneuve wants to make Dune Messiah after part II, personally can't see that happening.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #53905 on: October 19, 2021, 10:18:03 am »
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53906 on: October 19, 2021, 11:00:05 am »
The remake.

Interesting response to just give up on it.
Dune is a slow-burner at the beginning, story really picks up when they land on Arrakis and spirals out of control later.
I'll see it day after tomorrow, so will leave my thoughts. Don't really mind if it's slow - as long as it hits the major plot points of the story.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53907 on: October 19, 2021, 02:52:52 pm »
Watching Dune at the Printworks Imax on friday, cannot wait.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53908 on: October 19, 2021, 02:55:25 pm »
I loved Dune. Great Sci-fi. However i had no idea it was just part one of a two part story and part two might not even be made. Who's stupid idea was that!
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53909 on: October 19, 2021, 03:05:52 pm »
I loved Dune. Great Sci-fi. However i had no idea it was just part one of a two part story and part two might not even be made. Who's stupid idea was that!
Crazy, i thought they filmed both films together, that pretty poor from Warner Bros.

Be such a waste of money to only do one film, hopefully the long delay to announcing part 2 is going ahead is down to WB just assessing their entire budget for films in the pipeline due to Covid.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53910 on: October 19, 2021, 03:25:27 pm »
The second one is all down to how good the first one performs box office wise.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53911 on: October 19, 2021, 03:28:06 pm »

And it is doing pretty well so far, with biggest markets yet to get their release this week.
I think second part is very likely, it would need to have an almighty nosedive from this point on not to make good money on the investment made.

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #53912 on: October 19, 2021, 03:30:46 pm »
The first one was almost 40 years ago mate. Surely theyve got the receipts by now

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53913 on: October 20, 2021, 02:06:40 am »
It dragged a little bit because Villeneuve would only direct if allowed to split it into 2 films,second one hasn't even been greenlit yet.

It felt like half a film too.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #53914 on: October 20, 2021, 07:10:34 am »
Interesting response to just give up on it.
Dune is a slow-burner at the beginning, story really picks up when they land on Arrakis and spirals out of control later.
I'll see it day after tomorrow, so will leave my thoughts. Don't really mind if it's slow - as long as it hits the major plot points of the story.

i dont see it as a slow film really, probably cos i read the book and saw the original film, they are... girthy, the pacing for me was exactly as i expected it. i guess for someone going in with no previous experience of dune it could feel that way, was on the mark for me
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #53915 on: October 21, 2021, 10:18:51 pm »
The Trip. Netflix. Loved it. Very dark comedy.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #53916 on: October 21, 2021, 10:44:47 pm »
Just finished RESPECT, Jennifer Hudson take a bow what a fantastic talent.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #53917 on: October 21, 2021, 11:42:13 pm »
Halloween Kills - crap, bunch of ideas not developed well, JLC couldn't be arsed, crap attempt at social commentary.

Dune - wonderful, loved it, completely immersed me and didn't feel the runtime. Cinematography was outstanding, Hans Zimmer's score worked well though I don't usually like that type of score.
Some issues with the dialogues sound mixing, but that's pretty minor.

If you like fantasy or scifi epics, you'll love it.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53918 on: October 22, 2021, 10:30:52 am »
What to say about Dune?
Damn. This is what cinemas exist for.

First of all it was such a privilege to watch a new screen adaptation of the book, especially one made by a truly capable director and full of quality actors and technicians. Glad I lived to see it. I’ve managed to purge myself from the hype and entered the movie just happy to be there and soak it all up. If it wasn’t for two loud popcorn eaters next to me - it might have been a perfect experience.

I’d say it was a remarkably successful adaptation of the book (first half obviously). It’s a canonical example of ‘show don’t tell’ done right. So much of the storytelling and connecting the dots is done subtly, with what appears almost a throwaway line or shot. Narrative from the book is mostly changed around the middle part, from when they land on Arrakis to the inevitable outcome. This part in the book is a tense, slowly building crescendo of paranoid moments, feeling the trap is set but being unable to find it. Entire family Atreides behaves like rats in a burning box - biting, scratching, unable to escape until it’s too late. Movie cuts almost all of this and keeps it streamlined driving the story forward. I think it actually serves the movie well, but I still miss more of Thufir Hawat going insane or Leto feeling the weight of the world sitting on his shoulders and getting heavier. Lynch movie for example nailed this with only few scenes, Hawat losing his shit completely at ‘finding Harkonen spies too easily’ and Leto having cold sweats. Once the trap is activated though - the movie picks up pace and finishes strongly in my opinion just at the right spot. Some critics were rambling about ‘what kind of end is this’ - but it was and is the only end possible once the call was made to split the book. For an almost three hour long movie, it still leaves out A LOT of what’s in the book so I’m hoping for an extended cut down the line.

One thing that was fairly impressive is how it caters well to both people who know nothing about the world and diehard fans. I thought it danced on this line well, never overcommitting to either, peppering a lot of subtle clues and hints to those ‘in the know’ without confusing the others. Things that are almost untranslatable to the screen - like Paul’s visions of different futures opening ahead of him - were reduced to ‘metaphorical postcards from the future’ - and this is ok. End game is really all that matters and end game for Paul, one he can see - is a deadly war in his name. He starts with glances, but as he is exposed to melange - he gets to see more of it and it’s not something he can easily commit to. One thing I missed from the book is special importance Herbert put on the night Paul and his mother spend in the desert. This is really the breaking point for Paul. Again, Lynch movie did this well with Paul saying ’We have entered the time when all will turn against us and seek our lives.’. At that moment, dice has been thrown but it’s not set yet. They are in a truly dangerous position. Here it’s slightly reduced to a typical A to B here’s escape. But for example, the moment in the tent is done very well. This is really where Muad’Dib is born, where his vision take over completely and he even manages to terrify his mother.

Looks and sounds of the movie were absolutely delicious. It actually looks more expensive than it is. I’m hoping for part two so we get to see more locations, sietches, Geidi Prime, Kaitain and so on. Tech and vehicles/aircrafts were beautifully done, all very much ‘form follow function’, which makes it feel like a part of lived in world. Framing of the shots was relentlessly inspired. I was on the fence with the washed out, gray look of the desert - but it’s actually great because it reaffirms the oppressive and deadly nature of heat on Arrakis. This planet wants you dead. It feels like a scorching hell from first moment they set foot on it. Everyone lives practically underground. Arakeen is not a middle-eastern blend of narrow streets, flat roofs, bazaars and colours. It’s almost a dungeon like fortress, contained and dangerous outpost on the shittiest planet in the galaxy that is utilitarian and exists only to support extraction of melange. Just fucking great.

I could ramble for days about this, so much of it was perfect - the voice, Fremen, worms, Harkonen - just a lovely visualisation of the novel. Sure, corners were cut, many characters were underdeveloped - but the bulk of it was there and it flows well, looks incredible and sounds amazing.

Go and see it on the biggest screen you can find, no matter if you read the book, like sci-fi or whatever. It’s a visceral and unique experience, likes of which is seldom seen in theatres these days.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 10:32:53 am by Zlen »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #53919 on: October 22, 2021, 10:50:10 am »
Question I've asked elsewhere and got no answer to - earliest opportunity I've got to see Dune is probably 2nd November. I want to see it on Imax, L1 is saying on their website it's only screening until 28th October and not showing availability after that. Surely not, one of the biggest releases and cinematic events in years and they're screening for one week only?

Or is this a placeholder and they'll release more times closer to?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez