Author Topic: Preview: Mansfield Town v Liverpool FC - FA Cup 3rd Rd - 06/01/13 - k/o:16.00  (Read 69928 times)

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
Mansfield Town FC V Liverpool FC – FA CUP 3rd Round – Sunday 06 January 2013 - k/o: 16.00

2011/12 finalists Liverpool head to Nottinghamshire on Sunday to face non-league Mansfield Town in the 3rd Round of the 2012/13 FA Cup.

Having overcome Lincoln City in the previous round, Mansfield will host the reds at their Field Mill (also known as the “One Call”) Stadium in front of the ESPN cameras and a capacity crowd of just over 7,500.

Relegated from league football just over 4 years ago, “The Stags” have faced numerous off-field battles, including being locked out of their own ground in 2010 following a dispute over unpaid rent, and a bid from a potential new owner of the club to re-name the club after the fictional Sky One programme Dream Team football club, Harchester United in 2008.
John Batchelor’s bid to buy the club failed and thus far, Mansfield Town remains the name of the club.

Mansfield currently lie 9th in the Blue Square Premier division, and have a respectable home record this season having lost just twice in front of their own fans.

Mansfield Town’s last trophy came in 1987 when they clinched the Football League Trophy (aka The Freight Rover Trophy) on penalties against Bristol City in front of 58,000 at Wembley Stadium, however The Stags did reach the final of the FA Trophy in 2011, losing 1-0 against Darlington in agonsising fashion when Darlington’s Chris Senior headed home the winner in the last minute of extra-time.

Notable former Mansfield Town players include several players who would go on to become established Premiership footballers, including Colin Calderwood and Liam Lawrence.  Mansfield also signed FA Cup winning captain Brian Kilcline in his twilight playing years just before he hung his boots up in 1998, and former Everton ‘keeper and FA Cup runner-up (against Liverpool) Bobby Mimms also featured for the club before he retired.

Team news: Liverpool will be without long-term absentees Martin Kelly and Fabio Borini, whilst Jose Enrique will also miss several weeks after limping out of the QPR game with a hamstring injury.

New signing Daniel Sturridge is in line to make his Liverpool debut against The Stags and could replace Luis Suarez despite his brace against Sunderland on Wednesday.
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers may also opt to freshen up other areas of his starting 11 following a busy festive period, and afford some first team regulars a day off ahead of a huge game at Old Trafford against Manchester United the following week.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2013, 09:47:38 pm by ashleyrose-66 »

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
Many thanks Ashley, great job!

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
I'd go for this side myself with United away the weekend after.

Pepe Reina - Andre Wisdom - Jamie Carragher - Sebastien Coates - Jack Robinson [unsure if still inj] - Shelvey - Henderson - Suso - Morgan - Downing - Sterling

Bench: Jones/Gulcasi - Skrtel, Agger, Gerrard, Suarez, Ngoo.

Something along these lines...

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'd go for this side myself with United away the weekend after.

Pepe Reina - Andre Wisdom - Jamie Carragher - Sebastien Coates - Jack Robinson [unsure if still inj] - Shelvey - Henderson - Suso - Morgan - Downing - Sterling

Bench: Jones/Gulcasi - Skrtel, Agger, Gerrard, Suarez, Ngoo.

Something along these lines...

Was on the bench last night so should be available.

Hopefully we can wrap this up early while resting Suarez/Gerrard/Agger etc. Would definitely be starting Sturridge
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
Was on the bench last night so should be available.

Hopefully we can wrap this up early while resting Suarez/Gerrard/Agger etc. Would definitely be starting Sturridge

Apologies missed tonights game but still Sturridge to play/feature would be nice in the build up to the United game.

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Pretty sure Robinson has been fit all season.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
This is what footballs all about.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I cant wait for it. Gonna be class. Really worried about the unthinkable happening though  ;D And you just know anyone that isnt a Liverpool fan will be rooting for Mansfield
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
Hope we get an early goal, will make it so much easier.

Reina;Wisdom, Coates, Carra, Robinson; Sahin, Allen, Henderson; Sturridge, Pacheco, and if fit, Borini
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Cleveland_Red

• Anny Roader
  • Cleveland Is The City-Liverpool Is The Life
"Football in many ways mirrors the society that we have become, self obsessed and shallow."

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I think Ibe will make his debut for us. We might see one or two of the other u18 or reserve players for this one.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Surprised at how strong everyone wants us. I'd go for:

Jones

McLaughlin Carra Coates Robinson

Coady
       Shelvey                Suso

Ibe            Sturridge          Pacheco

Subs: Gulacsi, Wisdom, Sama, Allen, Henderson, Morgan, Sinclair

That's significantly weaker than the other teams posted but more than good enough in my opinion. I have 3 very inexperienced players in the starting 11 but 2 of them (McLaughlin, Ibe) I think will be in the first team squad in 2 years.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
We should of course win this won with ease. Hope we play a strong team and include some players who have been on the bench lately.

Jones-Wisdom, Coates, Carra, Robinson-Henderson, Sahin, Allen-Suso, Assaidi, Sturridge

Something like that. Other possibilities are of course Pacheco, Shelvey and Morgan. Shelvey is the most likely, but I'd rather try Sahin and see if we can get him going. Potentially, I think he's one of our best players and I'd like to see that in the second half of the season. 

I think we need to get players like Sahin, Coates, Assaidi and Sturridge involved. Don't want us to add another few kids this time. Better to let some of them play bigger roles than they're used to. Let for example Henderson and Suso be more of leading players. See how they cope with that. If things go according to plan and we get a couple of goals ahead, then we can afford to introduce one or two of the other Academy players.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
United is a week after right?
Seeing as they have a weeks rest i'd go with:

Reina

Wisdom      Skrtel                  Coates   Robinson

Allen                  Sahin

Suso

Pacheco                                            Downing
                             Sturridge
« Last Edit: January 3, 2013, 02:02:23 am by mart356 »

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
This will be a really hard game.

I watched a lot of Blue Square Football last season, and they're a rough dogged team. Like a lot of teams down in the lower leagues they rely on their strength and height to get them through games. Won't be a pretty game. They're not technically brilliant (although they have one or two very good players who can do damage on the ball) but they're better than people will probably give them credit for. Definite Stoke City of the Conference.

Make no mistake they'll be up for it. They'll try ever trick in the book by fouling players and really push the referee to their limit. Their manager will tell the players to kick lumps out of the players because it's what usually wins them games against better skilled opposition. Their #7 Meikle is probably their big danger man. Very good on the ball. Their big striker Matt Green is their definite dangerman. Think he's been a bit out of form, but he's definitely a lot better than Conference standard. He knows where the back of the net is, I do think he could cause Carragher a few problems.

But the one player we've got to keep a lid on is Exodus Geohaghan. The guy is an absolute beast. A pure brute centre back who is very strong aerially.  Mansfield use set pieces very well, and their main outlook is this guy's long throw. When they has such a good run last season where they got to the play-offs, a large part of this was teams not knowing or being fully prepared with the long throws.

Think we'll win, but won't be a drubbing. Fancy Mansfield to score aswell.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
A potentail banana skin but after all the games played lately we need to give some guys a rest.

Hope Sturridge is fit enough to play some part in the match just to bed him in :)
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
Based on the team that was put out against WBA in the Carling cup, I expect something similar 

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Assaidi is off to the African Nations.

We'll see Sturridge I reckon.
Reina
McLaughlin Wisdom Coates Robinson
Allen Sahin
Henderson
Sturridge Suarez Pacheco

Pacheco/McLauglin on merit after their excellent U21 displays - Robinson needs gametime if he is going to be backup whilst Enrique is out - would like to see Wisdom at CB see how he gets on.

Forward line and midfield chooses itself - full 7 days rest so don't see an issue starting any of the above.

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
I would play a very strong team. Mansfield away on 3rd round day is not a place to blood youngsters and there is a full week to recover before the united game.
I wouldn't piss about with this game. Get it won and fuck off out of the place.

Offline TXRed

• Anny Roader
  • Just a Bible-thumpin' Liverpool-lovin' Yank
If we win and Sturridge doesn't look bad, I'll be happy.

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
Do have a bad feeling about this to be honest, pitch wont be great so our passing game will be off, they'll get the ball into the box at any opportunity and could get opportunities when the ball breaks in the box. They'll defend like their lives depend on it aswell.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
Do have a bad feeling about this to be honest, pitch wont be great so our passing game will be off, they'll get the ball into the box at any opportunity and could get opportunities when the ball breaks in the box. They'll defend like their lives depend on it aswell.

No offence to Mansfield but really you'd expect even our reserves to walk this at a canter.

You can bring up Northampton or Arsenal at Bradford but these aren't even in the football league anymore, i'd fancy Djimi Traore and Philip Degen to dominate them.

Still, always that magic of the cup factor I suppose and anything can happen but really hope Gerrard, Suarez, Agger, Lucas, Johnson don't travel for this, mancs away next week means we can't afford any luxuries
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
Would like a few seniors for this, make sure the job gets done.

Reina; Wisdom - Coates - Carragher - Robinson; Shelvey - Sahin - Suso; Morgan - Sturrdige - Pacheco

Bench: Jones, McLaughlin, Skrtel, Coady, Gerrard, Adorjan, Ibe
« Last Edit: January 3, 2013, 03:25:37 am by riismeister »

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
While the opposition are non league, it's very important we take this opportunity to progress, the owners must surely know top four will be difficult now - and allow Brendan to give the cup some sort of priority. Like Crosby Wych says, I'd like to see our main players rested- perhaps barring Suarez who just loves to play.

Reina
McLaughlin Carragher Coates Robinson
Allen Sahin
Henderson
Sturridge Suarez Pacheco

Is the team that Draex would have gone for and I think I agree, except I wouldn't play both Robinson/Wisdom at the same time- going down the line of Johnson going to left back, Wisdom right back for Man Utd potentially- then you wouldn't want both Wisdom/Robinson injured. Carragher should definitely get a start.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline American_Kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA. JFT96.
Start the big guys. Let's win 13-nil.

At the very least let's hope Samed Yesil gets a start. Don't think I've ever seen him play.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2013, 03:26:45 am by American_Kopite »
YNWA - JFT96. I have an unhealthy obsession with Xabi Alonso. Don't tell my girlfriend.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
I think Ibe will make his debut for us. We might see one or two of the other u18 or reserve players for this one.

Ibe's already made his debut for us. Assume you meant start. Don't think he's ready yet. There are certainly others ahead of him who deserve a start
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
Ibe's already made his debut for us. Assume you meant start. Don't think he's ready yet. There are certainly others ahead of him who deserve a start

I mean in a actual game and not a friendly

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
For those that don't read it, in the youth thread superjack said McLaughlin and probably ibe will be involved in this. No idea if they'll start or not.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
Carragher seems nailed on to start this and captain the team.

Sahin is such a great player and deserves a start.

Would like to see Assaidi as well (ACoN starts on the 19th so he should still be here).

Yesil didn't look quite ready and neither did Coady so I'll fancy Pacheco and Morgan coming off the bench for Sturridge if we're comfortable.

Reina
Wisdom-Carragher-Coates-Downing
Sahin-Shelvey-Henderson
Assaidi-Sturridge-Pacheco
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
                    Reina
Wisdom   Carra   Coates  Robinson
           Hendo       Sahin
                     Suso
      Ibe       Sturridge   Pacheco

Would be pretty happy with that. I still think the Hendo-Sahin partnership was pretty darn good the last time they played in the EL.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
Lets not take Mansfield for granted, tight ground, fired up home side and home support, start a fairly strong side, wouldn't start with Ibe or Morgan, yes rest some players, but we gotta pay them a bit of respect with our team selection.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Looking forward to this. Real Cup tie.

Think we'll make a load of changes personally but not to the extent of playing ibe etc, just the lads that are usually on the bench and maybe robbo and obviously strurridge.

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
Re: Ask the Referees! *
« Reply #32 on: January 3, 2013, 08:55:05 am »
I agree that having a week's break after this game means we shouldn't be looking at playing complete reserves.  However if some of the players who haven't played much can't get game time here, then when will they?

I'd like to see the likes of Robinson, Coates, Sahin, Shelvey, even Henderson, all start.  If Rodgers compliments them with the likes of Gerrard, Suarez and Agger then i won't complain. 
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
7 day rest after this game until Utd , play it full strength get a lead then take players off, lets not get into this resting rubbish, players will want to play whilst we are showing signs of putting a run of results together, worst thing that could happen is a replay or even worse a defeat because we rested players
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline Sucker-Punch

• Main Stander
For me  ;D

Jones

Wisdom         Carra         Coates     Robinson

Hendo                     Sahin                        Suso

Assaidi       Sturridge     Downing

“This city has two great teams - Liverpool and Liverpool reserves.” - Bill Shankly

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Rodgers will go for a strong team. No question about it. The FAC represents a route into europe.
Hopefully Sturridge and Suarez plays. They need to strike up a rapport before the Manu game also Suarez hates being rested.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2013, 09:24:30 am by spider-neil »

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
For me  ;D

Jones

Wisdom         Carra         Coates     Robinson

Hendo                     Sahin                        Suso

Assaidi       Sturridge     Downing

Assaidi has gone to the African Nations.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
Wouldn't be too surprised to see Suarez play in light of Rodgers comments last night about him wanting to play every game. It's at the end of a busy period, but we'll have a whole week off before the United game and I'm sure Rodgers will be looking at this match as an ideal opportunity to get Sturridge and Suarez on the pitch together and see how they spark up, rather than throwing them straight in over the next month which looks bloody hard.

I had hoped we'd see a couple of the younger lads, but with the week off afterwards I suspect we'll get a pretty strong team, maybe a bit of rotation at the back (my guess is Carra will start, Coates might not; RAWK will eat itself).
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88

Really really excited about this one! Can't wait in fact!

Jones

McLaughlin Carra Coates  Robinson

Coady     

Suso         Allen

Borini         Sturridge          Luis

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
Just looking forward to seeing Sturridge in action.