Author Topic: Prostitution Legal in Manhattan.  (Read 1417 times)

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
Prostitution Legal in Manhattan.
« on: April 21, 2021, 06:52:07 pm »
Patch
Prostitution Will No Longer Be Prosecuted In Manhattan, DA Says

Nick Garber  2 hrs ago

NEW YORK, NY — Manhattan will no longer prosecute people for prostitution and unlicensed massage, the district attorney announced Wednesday, handing a victory to advocates who have pushed for years to decriminalize sex work.

District Attorney Cyrus Vance, Jr. announced the new policy in court, asking a judge to dismiss more than 900 such cases from past years.

Vance also moved Wednesday to dismiss more than 5,000 cases where people were charged with "Loitering for the Purpose of Prostitution" — a state law repealed in February and also known as the "walking while trans" ban, which critics said encouraged police to target transgender people.

"Over the last decade we’ve learned from those with lived experience, and from our own experience on the ground: criminally prosecuting prostitution does not make us safer, and too often, achieves the opposite result by further marginalizing vulnerable New Yorkers," Vance said in a statement.

Many of the cases dismissed this week date back to the 1970s and 1980s, which Vance called "a relic of a different New York."

The Manhattan dismissals follow similar actions by top prosecutors in Queens and Brooklyn, which both followed the "walking while trans" repeal.

Vance's decision was hailed by Abigail Swenstein, a staff attorney with the Legal Aid Society’s Exploitation Intervention Project, who said prosecutors had "listened to and acted on the knowledge gained from speaking to advocates and most importantly, survivors and those with lived experience as sex workers."

"Countless sex workers, those profiled as sex workers, and trafficking victims have suffered under the weight of convictions and warrants," Swenstein added. "These perpetual punishments extend into family and immigration court, and impact our clients’ ability to find stability through housing and employment."

Swenstein argued that the state should still pass legislation to fully decriminalize sex work and expunge the criminal records of people convicted of prostitution-related crimes.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/prostitution-will-no-longer-be-prosecuted-in-manhattan-da-says/ar-BB1fTJRp?ocid=msedgntp
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 06:54:22 pm by jambutty »
Kill the humourless

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Re: Prostitution Legal in Manhattan.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 06:57:38 pm »
For the amount of bizzies that ignore the blatant prostitution on Sheil Road it may as be legal in Liverpool! Not saying that's a good or bad thing, just stating a fact.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 07:09:38 pm »
Matt Gaetz likes this.

On a more serious note, this is good news.  Regulation and protection are what's needed.  Let's face it, prostitution is as old as politics and it least it's honest over who is getting screwed.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 07:23:58 pm »
I think LIverpool City Council considered a scheme years ago about a legal red light area (within a strict time zone) which could be regulated and presumed a safe area for the girls to work.

I forget what part of the City they had in mind (obviously not residential) but the proposal never got off the ground.

I actually think, in the right area this could work. I used to live off Sheil Road, and it was sad and horrible to see what constantly went on. As I said, the Police hardly ever intervened.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 07:27:43 pm »
I think LIverpool City Council considered a scheme years ago about a legal red light area (within a strict time zone) which could be regulated and presumed a safe area for the girls to work.

I forget what part of the City they had in mind (obviously not residential) but the proposal never got off the ground.

I actually think, in the right area this could work. I used to live off Sheil Road, and it was sad and horrible to see what constantly went on. As I said, the Police hardly ever intervened.

It's one of those situations.  Basically it would take too much manpower and they want to deal with "real" crime.  Of course, the downside is that the women work at their own risk from violent and dangerous punters, as the police will only get involved when things go wrong.

Popcorn's Art

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 07:59:40 pm »
^^

Yeah, see your point and understand why most of time the Police do turn a blind eye. I have waited by the bus stop where the girls often go, and I know they where  going to approach me, I got used to it eventually, but it was very awkward! I would more often than not walk up a stop catch the bus.

Not sure what the solution is, but the amount of trouble I've seen on Sheil Road was endless. In what's fast becoming a 24 hour City, on second thoughts it would near impossible now to put a legal safe zone anywhere without objection.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:04:58 pm by mikeb58 »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 09:58:55 pm »
^^

Yeah, see your point and understand why most of time the Police do turn a blind eye. I have waited by the bus stop where the girls often go, and I know they where  going to approach me, I got used to it eventually, but it was very awkward! I would more often than not walk up a stop catch the bus.

Not sure what the solution is, but the amount of trouble I've seen on Sheil Road was endless. In what's fast becoming a 24 hour City, on second thoughts it would near impossible now to put a legal safe zone anywhere without objection.

It's not the only place.  My old flat up on Shaw Street was sandwiched between two red light districts.  In the end you get used to saying no.

Popcorn's Art