Tubby
5 (7.8%)
Kloppagetime
10 (15.6%)
Max
7 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 13, 2020, 05:18:34 am

Author Topic: Champions of England Quarter Finals  (Read 4782 times)

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Champions of England Quarter Finals
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2020, 06:04:51 pm »
It's nothing personal, it's just that all of those (apart from Yashin) were shite picks. You make yourself an easy target as well with all this conspiracy theory bollocks. Like you said, time for some self-reflection.

Personally I quite like Max's formation by the way. We've seen plenty of funky formations on here in the past and some of them have done quite well. Think I once won a draft using a zona mista.

Lastrador, Hazell and PiM have the three strongest teams left IMO. But I also think that the strongest team in the draft (Robbie's) got knocked out in the first round.

Robbie got got by the "Henry on the Left" thing, it was well played.

As the newly appointed leader of the drafting community, expect to see changes though.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2020, 06:09:44 pm »
Cheers, I will work on seducing a woman and then marry her and sacrifice to the Draftilluminati.

There is definitely some stereotyping and group think that goes on in these drafts but its nothing malicious. Its just people using it to gain an advantage. For example, you hear "Player X never played in Y position before" or "I have never heard of player Y before so he must be shit".

I admit after doing some reading on him the Bonneti pick by Samie and Prof was quite good. He was very well regarded in his time and was a true midfield general. But it was convenient for some to mock it to discredit their team. Guillit at CB was still madness though.

I'm not saying group think is purposeful, malicious or targeted at all. 

What I am saying about this residue of group think builds up over time like artery plaque, and the question becomes is this a useful way to spend my time (funny people aside)?

Have loved the new ideas by draft creators - with some wonderful ideas (drafting clubs, teams, numbers like a lottery or player caps) --- but somewhere between the beginning of the draft and the end of voting -- something happens causing tiny strokes of reminders - wasted time.

I love that Prof believes Gullit could play CB for him ---  reminds me of Milner playing left back for many supporters who were bitching about that.... 

The truth is very few people know, understand, and are successful with squad construction.  This group should be looking for the best in each other rather than take advantage of opportunity to get theirs...  something I learned in one of my first drafts with Viva....

« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 06:36:33 pm by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2020, 06:16:01 pm »
It's nothing personal, it's just that all of those (apart from Yashin) were shite picks. You make yourself an easy target as well with all this conspiracy theory bollocks. Like you said, time for some self-reflection.

Personally I quite like Max's formation by the way. We've seen plenty of funky formations on here in the past and some of them have done quite well. Think I once won a draft using a zona mista.

Lastrador, Hazell and PiM have the three strongest teams left IMO. But I also think that the strongest team in the draft (Robbie's) got knocked out in the first round.

Breakdown

Its nothing personal ---- Claim
"you made shite picks --- Conclusion
"you made yourself an easy target" --- 2nd conclusion
"conspiracy bollocks" -  3rd conclusion

*** This is what I mean by passive aggressive failure at self-reflection.

I share my picks -- as I have reflected upon this --- and I get attacked.
KL does not reflect upon any of his decisions and he ask for further self-reflection of others
KL gets to avoid scrutiny in group think because of his claim and 3 conclusions but I get more feedback and dismissive bullshit because I am capable of reflecting of my choices (unafraid that they will be used against me as a reason to disregard my point)

And KL merrily goes along his merry way with his personal insights into more group think....

KL thank you, for helping me show the process of what so many experience.

Who needs enemies with posts like these.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 01:40:28 am by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2020, 06:22:59 pm »
Robbie got got by the "Henry on the Left" thing, it was well played.

As the newly appointed leader of the drafting community, expect to see changes though.

Be like when Jeff Jarrett was leader of the nWo. Samie being Horace Hogan.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2020, 06:23:35 pm »
I like PoP and what he brings to any discussion but lets.not pretend that he cant be wrong about something ( ie predicting Spurs would finish above us and we would end up 3rd after this past preseason)

I made one claim -- he was the brightest mind I have found on RAWK for the game. 

Agree that he could be wrong, I think that is a human quality.  But predicting who would win type stuff is very different than training/building a team.

Since I am across the pond, I have not had Lobo's pleasure of having a pint with him --- but we messaged from time to time (mostly him offering advice on training U12s versus the U19/U21 crowd where I had spent time with most of my career.

My interactions with him have been courteous, generous on his part in terms of time and information, plus I sensed some disillusionment with the typical fan boy non-practitioner who had big ideas but no idea in how to implement them.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 01:41:43 am by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2020, 06:35:02 pm »
Trend you're one step away from saying you're being bullied on the internet.  ;D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2020, 06:43:11 pm »
Trend you're one step away from saying you're being bullied on the internet.  ;D

I think process is important mate. 

One has to look at what people say, what they mean and how they behave. 

KL in this example makes a claim, backs it up with 3 conclusions (using the worst arguments of exaggeration and minimization) and concludes by telling me I need more time to self - reflect.  Group think goes individualistic; how ironic? 

How quick was it did he rush in to wipe Betty's bottom this time?  30 minutes?  He's slipping.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 06:45:19 pm by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2020, 07:02:44 pm »
I like PoP and what he brings to any discussion but lets.not pretend that he cant be wrong about something ( ie predicting Spurs would finish above us and we would end up 3rd after this past preseason)

Yep, with players returning from international tourneys, pre-season results are just like warm-up & nothing more to read on and we always have that rhythm thing as well. We were really good in the Community Shield game against City.

Note: I like PoP and I've had several wonderful conversations with him, not less Gini vs Joe Allen  ;)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2020, 07:03:10 pm »

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2020, 07:47:44 pm »
I think people misread intent a lot on this forum in general. The politics forum is a great example of it.

Just assume nobody is actually trying to insult or belittle you, it's all gamesmanship.

In that clubs draft I successfully convinced everyone that Xavi and Iniesta would be overrun in midfield, still my crowning moment on this forum!

Indeed. No-one should take anything said in here personally. We're all just bored people looking for a bit of a distraction from the humdrum of daily life/lockdown. A lot of the ribbing is simply because we have nothing better to do. If we were to all start coldly picking players without any form of gamesmanship or jest involved, then it would become very dull very quickly.

Hang on a minute. I don't think you've read the script. You are not allowed to have opinions different to mine!

But he is getting bullied, Samie. I am Biff Tannen to his Marty McFly. I stole the draft almanac, went back in time and rigged all the drafts so he wouldn't win any of them.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2020, 07:51:57 pm »
Down with this sort of thing.

Vote for me, for a better, fresher draft future
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2020, 07:53:45 pm »
Down with this sort of thing.

Vote for me, for a better, fresher draft future

I accept your offer to become RAWK Drafts Vice President.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2020, 08:52:43 pm »
Next election is in 4 years.

My first act was going to be banning Gerry but these things need their fodder before the big boys step up
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2020, 10:32:30 pm »
First match up is so tough. Love the balance of Hazells 3 in midfied and up top. However, Elzar's 3 are greats from 3 different era's and would have automatically won because of it if this was the first round. The two areas that tip the balance are upfront and in goal. Not sure where Bergkamp is playing, whether he is the ten behind Greavesy and Rooney or tip of a diamond. Either way it's a waste. Two very similar players the roon and Berg, I'd like to have seen some width, it's very narrow and Hazel's midfield is in perfect symmetry to counter that and offer their own threats going forward. Quite clearly Elzar's defence is better but it would need to be to keep out Hazel's front 3 with David Silva orchestrating. In goal, Elzar gave a rather exquisite overview of Trainer and his part in the original 'invincibles' which was a joy to read. However, big Nev could have played in any era and been the best. In my top 3 of keepers all time. so, tight win for Hazel.

Thanks for that. I was really pleased with my midfield (balance is exactly what I was going for, I'm glad you noticed) and attack but in hindsight, made some bad choices in defence. They're all good players but in comparison to most others', not good enough.

I'm not sure who'd win out of Elzar's team and mine actually, I like his side and I do think Rooney was adept as either a no.9 or a no.10 (with Greaves alongside him, he'd probably be some sort of hybrid) so I can't that combination along with Bergkamp not working.

Can't say it's a huge shock I'm losing but still hope I can turn it around.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2020, 10:05:29 am »
Thanks for that. I was really pleased with my midfield (balance is exactly what I was going for, I'm glad you noticed) and attack but in hindsight, made some bad choices in defence. They're all good players but in comparison to most others', not good enough.

I'm not sure who'd win out of Elzar's team and mine actually, I like his side and I do think Rooney was adept as either a no.9 or a no.10 (with Greaves alongside him, he'd probably be some sort of hybrid) so I can't that combination along with Bergkamp not working.

Can't say it's a huge shock I'm losing but still hope I can turn it around.
Was deservedly close, all I could fault is maybe Silva struggling in that set up without possession being dominated. Unlucky Hazell!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks