Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3305682 times)

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #27600 on: November 10, 2022, 07:23:55 am »
Anyone else getting some reverb on the shows this week or just me?
yes
Not just you.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27601 on: November 10, 2022, 07:49:56 am »
That Derby fan previewing the game was great.

And great video with Virgil and Joel and Chris Best. Love stuff like that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheAnfieldWrap/status/1590287047788761088
Lovely start to the day watching that.

Offline Thiago12291

• Thinks we’re a fucking mess and it’s down to Jurgen
  • Main Stander
« Reply #27602 on: November 10, 2022, 11:45:00 pm »
New one to Sean's absolute mad pronunciations of names in this week's review.
Fucking Do-ak.

Even worse than Ori-ji for Divock
Or Neil saying Hee-sus for Jesus

Absolutely mad  ;D

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27603 on: November 11, 2022, 04:45:27 pm »
Live podcasting can be visceral and seat-of-your-pants entertainment…but I’m surprised with the editorial decision to keep the sound of Phil dying on this week’s Friday Show… #LestWeForget

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27604 on: November 11, 2022, 05:17:33 pm »
Live podcasting can be visceral and seat-of-your-pants entertainment…but I’m surprised with the editorial decision to keep the sound of Phil dying on this week’s Friday Show… #LestWeForget

Haha. :D

We will remember him.

Offline klopptopia

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27605 on: November 11, 2022, 06:19:27 pm »
New one to Sean's absolute mad pronunciations of names in this week's review.
Fucking Do-ak.

Even worse than Ori-ji for Divock
Or Neil saying Hee-sus for Jesus

Absolutely mad  ;D

Add Yota and Car Var Low to that as well  :D

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27606 on: November 13, 2022, 01:14:47 pm »
An interview with Gareth on FSG sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg090vzTk9M

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27607 on: November 13, 2022, 02:09:36 pm »
Is app working for folk? It’s saying I’m not subscribed. Just checking before I look into it. I might need to update my banking

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27608 on: November 13, 2022, 02:13:21 pm »
Is app working for folk? It’s saying I’m not subscribed. Just checking before I look into it. I might need to update my banking

That happens all the time to me, and I think others, but then gets fixed. 

Mine is currently ok though

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27609 on: November 13, 2022, 02:48:00 pm »
That happens all the time to me, and I think others, but then gets fixed. 

Mine is currently ok though
Thanks. I’ll give it a few hours

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #27610 on: November 13, 2022, 04:53:49 pm »
Tremendous end to the Pink…
Bravo! 
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Thiago12291

• Main Stander
« Reply #27611 on: November 14, 2022, 10:20:23 am »
Has the review been released yet? Not sure if it's my feed or not

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27612 on: November 14, 2022, 10:31:38 am »
Has the review been released yet? Not sure if it's my feed or not

No, not yet. It used to come out on Tuesday's but I think they were releasing it early due to the hectic schedule, which has subsided a bit now.

Offline Thiago12291

• Main Stander
« Reply #27613 on: November 14, 2022, 10:59:04 am »
Shame, I find myself looking forward to it more than any other show and I sometimes find that I'm kind of over Saturdays game by Tuesday. Obviously that's just me though and other people prefer other shows etc.

And the nature of the review of course means the contributers need time to rewatch etc

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #27614 on: November 14, 2022, 12:24:32 pm »
Shame, I find myself looking forward to it more than any other show and I sometimes find that I'm kind of over Saturdays game by Tuesday. Obviously that's just me though and other people prefer other shows etc.

And the nature of the review of course means the contributers need time to rewatch etc

And itssss liiiive.

(Or available in your feed if you prefer)

Offline Thiago12291

• Main Stander
« Reply #27615 on: November 14, 2022, 05:13:07 pm »
Literally about five minutes later   ;D belter too. As brilliant as they adapted to zoom pods, they always flow better with all three back in the studio.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27616 on: November 14, 2022, 06:50:39 pm »
Tremendous end to the Pink…
Bravo!

Too true. A great song sung exceptionally well !

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #27617 on: November 14, 2022, 07:02:23 pm »
FYI Irish Reds, they’ve had to cancel the TAW Live dates unfortunately.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27618 on: November 15, 2022, 06:16:34 am »
Klopp documentary looks like it'll be great. But for those that only subscribe to podcasts, is it being made available as audio too?

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #27619 on: November 15, 2022, 11:17:55 am »
Klopp documentary looks like it'll be great. But for those that only subscribe to podcasts, is it being made available as audio too?

Wondered the same thing as I don't have a video sub either.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #27620 on: November 15, 2022, 01:40:36 pm »
Sponsored by Erdinger so maybe a free one

Edit

First one is free, the rest on the premium video sub or youtube memebership.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 01:51:38 pm by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #27621 on: November 15, 2022, 06:39:12 pm »
Good to have Paul Senior back in the mix.

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #27622 on: November 15, 2022, 08:17:27 pm »
Sponsored by Erdinger so maybe a free one

Edit

First one is free, the rest on the premium video sub or youtube memebership.

That’s a bummer.

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27623 on: November 16, 2022, 03:57:06 pm »

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27624 on: November 17, 2022, 08:38:30 am »
Listening to the Gutter, I'm once again agreeing most with Gutmann - he's frequently the only one trying to raise the point of financial doping and how it basically renders the sporting side nearly meaningless. So many seem to keep missing this point and are focusing on where the money is coming from, which is certainly understandable to an extent. But in doing so they fail to address the fact that clubs simply having unearned money poured in and gaining success from that, basically renders the idea of sporting achievement and earning success redundant.

I don't want Liverpool to have an owner who's simply pumping their money in non-stop, as I still want us to mostly live within our means and do it the right way. FSG have mostly been very good, but they could've gone the extra mile a few times, especially while they've fattened up their own asset using the club's profits to improve the infrastructure. If we suddenly just start spending with a blank cheque, out of kilter with how we're actually run and what we earn, then even though we are a very big club, it would still feel hollow to me. Basically, as I think Neil Docking said, it would be nicest to have an FSG+ type owner.

What I could do with less of is loudly trotting out the "we are a superclub" line once again. Yes, we are one of the big boys when it comes to wages (though in reality there's no chance we're higher than the fourth highest wage bill in our own league), but net spend is still way, way low compared to any other top six side (or Newcastle or Everton) over the past three and a half years. I realise net spend is only one element of it, but it's still a very big element. Simply calling us a superclub feels like doing some of the whataboutery rival fanbases engage in for them. It's not a myth or bullshit to say we spend low compared to a lot of rivals (even Arsenal and Spurs in recent years) and just feels deliberately contrarian to act as though we spend on a par with, or outgun, pretty much everyone else.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 08:43:00 am by decosabute »

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27625 on: November 17, 2022, 02:39:55 pm »
Listening to the Gutter, I'm once again agreeing most with Gutmann - he's frequently the only one trying to raise the point of financial doping and how it basically renders the sporting side nearly meaningless. So many seem to keep missing this point and are focusing on where the money is coming from, which is certainly understandable to an extent. But in doing so they fail to address the fact that clubs simply having unearned money poured in and gaining success from that, basically renders the idea of sporting achievement and earning success redundant.

I don't want Liverpool to have an owner who's simply pumping their money in non-stop, as I still want us to mostly live within our means and do it the right way. FSG have mostly been very good, but they could've gone the extra mile a few times, especially while they've fattened up their own asset using the club's profits to improve the infrastructure. If we suddenly just start spending with a blank cheque, out of kilter with how we're actually run and what we earn, then even though we are a very big club, it would still feel hollow to me. Basically, as I think Neil Docking said, it would be nicest to have an FSG+ type owner.

What I could do with less of is loudly trotting out the "we are a superclub" line once again. Yes, we are one of the big boys when it comes to wages (though in reality there's no chance we're higher than the fourth highest wage bill in our own league), but net spend is still way, way low compared to any other top six side (or Newcastle or Everton) over the past three and a half years. I realise net spend is only one element of it, but it's still a very big element. Simply calling us a superclub feels like doing some of the whataboutery rival fanbases engage in for them. It's not a myth or bullshit to say we spend low compared to a lot of rivals (even Arsenal and Spurs in recent years) and just feels deliberately contrarian to act as though we spend on a par with, or outgun, pretty much everyone else.

You could do without them correctly pointing out that (using your words here) the team who has at least the fourth highest wage bill in (using my words here) by far and away the biggest domestic league in the world's biggest sport is a super club? Come on now. You can't expect everyone on this podcast to just parrot exactly what you want them to say.

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27626 on: November 17, 2022, 04:26:51 pm »

FSG have mostly been very good, but they could've gone the extra mile a few times, especially while they've fattened up their own asset using the club's profits to improve the infrastructure.

Read as 'asses', still works  ;D
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #27627 on: November 17, 2022, 08:38:05 pm »
Gutmann is a national treasure.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #27628 on: November 20, 2022, 12:27:09 pm »
Paul Amann spoke superbly …

Fantastic 
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27629 on: November 21, 2022, 12:25:55 am »
Very informative takeover podcast with Ben from CBS sport. Very good for the layman about what’s what in these kinds of deals

Offline Schmohawk

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27630 on: November 21, 2022, 06:58:53 pm »

I agree with all of this. I haven't listened back but Neil said some strange things and you could even claim he was acting in a weird way. He was adamant that Liverpool are a superclub and at the same time it felt like he was using the fact that City are Champions League frauds (please let it continue, but if they keep spending big it is only a matter of time before they win their first) as some sort of argument that money isn't that important anyway. Obviously it isn't everything but no one's saying that. In my opinion, being a superclub these days means being able to buy whoever whenever. We aren't and while talk of net spend is often ridiculed it is still relevant. Also, Ferguson's United not being a dynasty because they didn't win enough European Cups is a bold claim.

I've been going and forth trying to sum up my thoughts correctly, but I haven't really been able to and this is a close as I get. I'm definitely not doing Neil justice with this short summary but it was the first time in a long while where he said things that I couldn't agree with and that to me just felt wrong. I am, however, like him, more worried than excited about the possibility of the club getting new owners. I fear there's a good chance we end up with something much worse than FSG if they choose to sell the club.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27631 on: November 21, 2022, 07:42:10 pm »
I agree with all of this. I haven't listened back but Neil said some strange things and you could even claim he was acting in a weird way. He was adamant that Liverpool are a superclub and at the same time it felt like he was using the fact that City are Champions League frauds (please let it continue, but if they keep spending big it is only a matter of time before they win their first) as some sort of argument that money isn't that important anyway. Obviously it isn't everything but no one's saying that. In my opinion, being a superclub these days means being able to buy whoever whenever. We aren't and while talk of net spend is often ridiculed it is still relevant. Also, Ferguson's United not being a dynasty because they didn't win enough European Cups is a bold claim.

I've been going and forth trying to sum up my thoughts correctly, but I haven't really been able to and this is a close as I get. I'm definitely not doing Neil justice with this short summary but it was the first time in a long while where he said things that I couldn't agree with and that to me just felt wrong. I am, however, like him, more worried than excited about the possibility of the club getting new owners. I fear there's a good chance we end up with something much worse than FSG if they choose to sell the club.
If buying whoever whenever is your definition of a superclub, you probably need to spend a bit more time thinking. The only clubs that can keep doing as you suggest are sports washers and they are as far from being superclubs as it’s possible to be.

Offline Rahul21

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27632 on: November 22, 2022, 09:05:17 pm »

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27633 on: November 24, 2022, 09:18:58 am »
You could do without them correctly pointing out that (using your words here) the team who has at least the fourth highest wage bill in (using my words here) by far and away the biggest domestic league in the world's biggest sport is a super club? Come on now. You can't expect everyone on this podcast to just parrot exactly what you want them to say.

Sorry, bit late to this as I haven't checked this page the past few days. I think it's fine to say that we are a superclub in terms of a lot of a lot of facets - worldwide fanbase, demand to see the team, brand recognition, how iconic the stadium is, financial turnover, success (both historical and recent).
As far as those parameters go, then yes, we are a superclub.

What I have a problem with, is saying it (like Neil Atkinson was in that context) as though we should just shut up about the rigged game  because we are a superclub and therefore can financially compete. Being a superclub in the sense that he was talking about is basically the domain of the financially doped petro clubs, and then Real Madrid and Man United. That's it. You could include Barcelona too, because they're still spending like crazy, but they're clearly spending money they don't really have. These are the only clubs that simply spend what they want and can be in the market for - to use a recent example - a Haaland. No one else can. And then using examples of us going big for Van Dijk and Alisson (nearly 5 years ago and at least partly funded by selling one of our best players) is, as I said before, misleading, and it's like doing the whataboutery of a City fan for them.

We are a very big, very well-run club, undoubtedly one of the big legacy brands of club football. If you mean 'superclub' in that way, then yes, we are one. But when it comes to transfers, even when it comes to wages, we aren't in the very top bracket. We're not even in the next bracket down from that since 2019.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 09:23:27 am by decosabute »

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27634 on: November 24, 2022, 09:25:31 am »
On a more positive note, I thought Neil's interview with Lijnders was fascinating and a brilliant listen. Huge credit both for getting him and for the interview itself - Pep was clearly into it and it was great to get some insight into his personality and philosophy.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #27635 on: November 24, 2022, 11:03:21 am »
On a more positive note, I thought Neil's interview with Lijnders was fascinating and a brilliant listen. Huge credit both for getting him and for the interview itself - Pep was clearly into it and it was great to get some insight into his personality and philosophy.

Ruffled a few virigins feathers on social media.

The main criticism being that Lijnders shouldn't be giving interviews as it means Jude Bellingham might not want to sign for us..

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #27636 on: November 24, 2022, 11:07:21 am »

The main criticism being that Lijnders shouldn't be giving interviews as it means Jude Bellingham might not want to sign for us..

Is that actually happening? lol....such a weird take! If anything, I love hearing a coach care so much about the players individually

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27637 on: November 24, 2022, 12:34:10 pm »

I picked this up this morning.

Never underestimate the thickness of folk.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #27638 on: November 25, 2022, 01:20:03 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XmsBbwoXDtA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XmsBbwoXDtA</a>
:D

Offline tmsneil

• A compere beyond compare
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #27639 on: November 25, 2022, 03:43:43 pm »
Sorry, bit late to this as I haven't checked this page the past few days. I think it's fine to say that we are a superclub in terms of a lot of a lot of facets - worldwide fanbase, demand to see the team, brand recognition, how iconic the stadium is, financial turnover, success (both historical and recent).
What I have a problem with, is saying it (like Neil Atkinson was in that context) as though we should just shut up about the rigged game  because we are a superclub and therefore can financially compete.
This is a complete misrepresentation of my position. I don't think we should shut up about it. And I think we should do something about it. And I think we are obviously a superclub. One that makes different choices to, say, Barcelona, but one nonetheless.