Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4147423 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #63920 on: September 5, 2020, 11:34:03 pm »

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #63921 on: September 6, 2020, 10:50:36 pm »
Fordy come get your man.  He's talking shit yet again.

:lmao :lmao :lmao I've now got visions of Fordy leaving a pub with a pissed up Kell on his arm; trying to soothe him as Kell talks jibberish.

GGG must have damaged him more than we thought  ???

He's getting battered and it might end a lot quicker than many think as well.

I shit you not Julio Cesar Chavez called out De la Hoya for his comeback fight.  ;D

https://www.sportingexcitement.com/boxing/oscar-de-la-hoya-47-called-out-by-58-year-old-icon-julio-cesar-chavez-for-blockbuster-comeback-fight-in-front-of-fans
:butt :butt :butt

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63922 on: September 9, 2020, 11:18:30 am »
Canelo suing Goldenboy and Dazn and wants' to get out of his contract Dan Rafael is reporting.  :o

https://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-sues-dazn-golden-boy-de-la-hoya-breach-contract--151584

Alvarez, boxing’s biggest star, on Tuesday sued promoter Golden Boy Promotions, its owner/CEO/chairman Oscar De La Hoya, and broadcast partner DAZN in United States federal court for the Central District of California, claiming damages of at least $280 million.

In the 24-page lawsuit, a copy of which was obtained by BoxingScene.com, Mexico’s Alvarez is suing for, among other reasons, breach of contract, intentional interference with a contract, negligent interference with a contract, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty related to the five-year, 11-fight deal worth a then-athlete record $365 million Alvarez signed with streaming service DAZN in the early morning hours of Oct. 17, 2018.

Under that deal, Alvarez was due to fight twice per year, on the Mexican holiday weekends in May and September, for $35 million minimum guarantees from the $40 million DAZN would pay Golden Boy for each fight, other than the first bout of the deal against Rocky Fielding in December 2018 for which Alvarez received $15 million.

“Despite Alvarez’ successes, both DAZN and Golden Boy have broken the promises they made to each other, Alvarez, and boxing fans,” the lawsuit said. “In doing so Defendants have breached their respective contracts and caused Alvarez damages of -- at least -- $280 million.”

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63923 on: September 10, 2020, 03:23:21 pm »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 03:26:54 pm by Samie »

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63924 on: September 10, 2020, 03:28:52 pm »
Alan Minter passed away yesterday aged 69

Remember that title fight when he lost his belt to Hagler.  Marvelous destroyed him.

Crowd rioted. Bad days back then

All said and done Minter was the undisputed Middleweight champion before he ran into one of the greatest boxers of all time.

RIP

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63925 on: September 10, 2020, 03:31:26 pm »
He won the Undisputed Middleweight title from Vito Antufermo in the few fights before. 2 quality fights to boot.  Fought Emile Grifith's as well.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63926 on: September 10, 2020, 03:36:50 pm »
Alan Minter passed away yesterday aged 69

Remember that title fight when he lost his belt to Hagler.  Marvelous destroyed him.

Crowd rioted. Bad days back then

All said and done Minter was the undisputed Middleweight champion before he ran into one of the greatest boxers of all time.

RIP

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #63927 on: September 10, 2020, 05:08:43 pm »
Another name from my youth gone, I remember watching that Hagler fight as a lad and cheering for Minter without realising he was up against a boxing great.

I will always remember Alan Minter on Superstars, going diagonally across everyone's lane in the canoeing and not realising it.

RIP

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #63928 on: September 10, 2020, 06:00:34 pm »
That’s sad. Was a good fighter in a tough era. Have watched the Hagler fight and it was a brutal display from Hagler, recall Harry Carpenter saying he was struck on the head by a can of beer as they rioted after the ref stopped it.

"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #63929 on: September 10, 2020, 07:36:49 pm »
I know it was a different era but Minter was really out of order with his comments prior to the Hagler fight. The actual atmosphere at the fight was awful.

As I say different times but a real low point for boxing in this country.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63930 on: September 10, 2020, 11:21:13 pm »
Yeah that wasn't one of his greatest moment's. I think later on he apologised for it.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63931 on: September 11, 2020, 10:52:13 am »

Alan Minter, RIP, was undisputed champion so he deserves for that to be his legacy, the same way another undisputed Middleweight Champion in  Bernard Hopkins deserves that to be his legacy and not his comments to Calzaghe

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63932 on: September 11, 2020, 10:54:06 am »
Dillion Whyte believes he got up 'straight after' the KO. He heard the ref count to 6/7 apparently. This being the same ref that waved the count off immediately. He still suffering after effects of the KO it seems

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63933 on: September 16, 2020, 12:27:56 am »
Ring Magazine are introducing women's titles from this year. First one up is for the Welterweight division.

Jessica McCaskill vs Cecilia Braekhus.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #63934 on: September 16, 2020, 12:36:45 am »
Alan Minter, RIP, was undisputed champion so he deserves for that to be his legacy, the same way another undisputed Middleweight Champion in  Bernard Hopkins deserves that to be his legacy and not his comments to Calzaghe
a tough fighter who happened to be around during a very strong era in the middleweight division.

His fight when he lost the title to Hagler was brutal in the extreme, he was never the same after that
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63935 on: September 16, 2020, 12:46:03 pm »
Eddie Hearn says Anthony Joshua v Kubrat Pulev will not be postponed again, even if it has to be held behind closed doors.

https://bbc.in/3izNKDC

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63936 on: September 16, 2020, 07:06:24 pm »
The 4 major governing bodies have released their  latest top 10 Heavyweight rankings.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #63937 on: September 16, 2020, 07:55:01 pm »
AJ not in the WBC rankings  :o ;D

And Boxing wonders why less and less people give a fuck

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63938 on: September 16, 2020, 07:57:40 pm »
Mate,Why do you care about that when Charles Martin is #2 ranked by the IBF?  ;D

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63939 on: September 16, 2020, 08:01:50 pm »
How many fights has Usyk had to be so far up the rankings?

Parker has been calling out Whyte the last week or so, Usyk and Parker would be a decent fight i reckon.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63940 on: September 16, 2020, 08:06:41 pm »
How many fights has Usyk had to be so far up the rankings?

Parker has been calling out Whyte the last week or so, Usyk and Parker would be a decent fight i reckon.

He's only had one Heavyweight fight but his WBO ranking comes because he was the Undisputed Cruiserweight champion and so he's automatically WBO's #1 contender because of their stipulation.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63941 on: September 16, 2020, 08:09:20 pm »
Mate,Why do you care about that when Charles Martin is #2 ranked by the IBF?  ;D

Fucking hell, I missed that!

Reinforces my second sentence I suppose

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #63942 on: September 16, 2020, 09:49:57 pm »
Sorry, but who’s Trevor Bryan?
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63943 on: September 16, 2020, 10:26:49 pm »
Sorry, but who’s Trevor Bryan?
A guy who hasn't fought in two years  :lmao :lmao :lmao

These rankings are hilarious. I was ranked #7 by the WBC until I retired with my unbeaten record last year (0-0).

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63944 on: September 16, 2020, 10:37:08 pm »
You didn't fight me when I called you out . Meet me outside Greggs next week you fucker.  :wanker

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63945 on: September 17, 2020, 09:08:49 am »
AJ not in the WBC rankings  :o ;D

And Boxing wonders why less and less people give a fuck

I thought that was always the case if you're a champion with one of the other bodies?  Fury not ranked by any of the others either for the same reason.

Edit: ranking are, and always have been, bollocks.  Just this particular aspect is alright.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63946 on: September 17, 2020, 09:17:01 am »
You didn't fight me when I called you out . Meet me outside Greggs next week you fucker.  :wanker
You're on. Loser buys the steak bakes.  8)

I thought that was always the case if you're a champion with one of the other bodies?  Fury not ranked by any of the others either for the same reason.

Edit: ranking are, and always have been, bollocks.  Just this particular aspect is alright.
You're only saying that because you've never been ranked higher than #8  :P

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63947 on: September 17, 2020, 09:31:39 am »
You're only saying that because you've never been ranked higher than #8  :P

How dare you.  I'm a former *World Champion I'll have you know!

* WBF

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63948 on: September 20, 2020, 02:18:40 pm »
I see talk's of a new division being created in between Crusierweight and Heavyweight is back in the works.  This shit comes up evrey few years but with now being the era of Super  Heavies seems like the talk's are a bit more serious this time.  There's even been a commission set up with Bellew on it too. ;D

Light Heavy- 175lb limit

Cruser- 200lb limit

Heavy- Anything beyond 200lbs

But you have Heavies nowadays coming in at over 250 lbs.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63949 on: September 20, 2020, 08:22:32 pm »
I see talk's of a new division being created in between Crusierweight and Heavyweight is back in the works.  This shit comes up evrey few years but with now being the era of Super  Heavies seems like the talk's are a bit more serious this time.  There's even been a commission set up with Bellew on it too. ;D

Light Heavy- 175lb limit

Cruser- 200lb limit

Heavy- Anything beyond 200lbs

But you have Heavies nowadays coming in at over 250 lbs.

All the while you have cruisers coming up and winning titles I don't think it's necessary. The real test case is going to be when Usyk gets in amongst the likes of Fury and Joshua.

Wilder has weighed under 220 for most of his career and he's a big heavyweight.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63950 on: September 20, 2020, 08:29:10 pm »
Even Wilder can be seen as a "Small" Heavyweight mate.  If he's coming in at 220 and others now coming in at 250 + that's a massive difference in Heavyweight circles.

I actually think if this get's enough traction we'll get a new division, probably called Small Heavyweight.  ;D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63951 on: September 21, 2020, 09:02:52 am »
But if Wilder has been sparking out all these giants for the last few years then what's the problem being a small HW?  I think there's a natural limit to how big a HW can get while still being effective so I don't think we're going to get 25 stone giants ruling the division any time soon.

It'll just become another division like CW where no one really cares and everyone in it wants to be a HW really.  But another set of belts and more sanctioning fees which is what they really care about.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63952 on: September 21, 2020, 09:45:06 am »
That too mate. We all could do with a few more belts.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63953 on: September 21, 2020, 12:39:00 pm »
Whenever this topic comes up I can't help thinking of the biggest HW champ ever, Valuev, who got beat by David Haye coming up from CW.  He also lost to Holyfield in most people's eyes, another CW champ.  I don't think size is everything up at that level.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63954 on: September 21, 2020, 11:47:33 pm »
Usually not mate but with advancement's in technology, nutrition etc if a 265lb ripped athlete is punching a 215lb heavyweight it can lead to serious damage  if not careful.  That's a big difference in weight.

Online Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63955 on: September 23, 2020, 01:15:36 pm »
Usyk v Chisora 31st of October Sky Box Office.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63956 on: September 23, 2020, 01:34:58 pm »
PPV is a bit daft for that.  Should be an interesting fight though if we get the good version of Delboy.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63957 on: September 23, 2020, 01:39:07 pm »
First real Heavyweight test for Usyk (His one and only HW fight was a joke). I expect Usyk to win but Derek is going to land a few bombs and it will be interesting to see how Usyk copes.

Offline rhysd

• Kopite
  • Igor
« Reply #63958 on: September 23, 2020, 01:43:21 pm »
Usyk v Chisora 31st of October Sky Box Office.

Good test for Usyk. Chisora is far from elite, but he's a big, tough lump.

Be interesting to see how Usyk responds when Chisora tries to maul him and rough him up up close.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 01:48:12 pm by rhysd »
20 and 7

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63959 on: September 23, 2020, 04:48:56 pm »
PPV is a bit daft for that.  Should be an interesting fight though if we get the good version of Delboy.

It’s the only way of getting them to fight so they can make a bit of coin with no crowds