Author Topic: Winning Title #19*  (Read 1308565 times)

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #720 on: November 10, 2019, 06:53:52 pm »
We dropped 2 points so far in 12 games, almost a third into the season. We can drop 12 points between now and the end of the season and still finish on 100... Let that sink a bit.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #721 on: November 10, 2019, 06:57:50 pm »
Goes without saying but December will be key.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #722 on: November 10, 2019, 06:58:57 pm »
Our's to lose now. We can all play the unbiased card and be like City can win a zillion in a row, Leicester bla bla but given how good we are the fact is no one should be closing an 8 or 9 point gap on us in 26 games.

We won 12 of our first 13 in 90/91 and drew the other one and that was a team that had won everything.

We're in a great position but City well capable of winning near enough every game for the rest of the season. THe good thing is we've got Pep rattled. It took a lot out of them to have to keep winning all those games last season in the run in.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #723 on: November 10, 2019, 07:00:09 pm »

We're in a great position but City well capable of winning near enough every game for the rest of the season.

So are we and that looks more likely. We aren't the ones getting outclassed by Norwich and Wolves after all.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #724 on: November 10, 2019, 07:01:09 pm »
It's not about throwing it away. It's not about City winning 20 games in a row. It's about us doing our job and winning games one by one.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #725 on: November 10, 2019, 07:04:15 pm »
It's not about throwing it away. It's not about City winning 20 games in a row. It's about us doing our job and winning games one by one.

Of course but that's what we'll need to do. Keep winning games consistently for the rest of the season, the minute we don't then the lead evapourates. We did that last year and it still wasn't enough because of a spell where we drew a few tough games.

City unlikely to get 98 or 100 points this season which should give us more breathing space, but we thought that last year with 14 games left.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #726 on: November 10, 2019, 07:04:43 pm »
City will be gunning for us in the away game, that’s going to be incredibly tough. Whatever happens though, we’ll have done better in our head to head with them than last season so as long as we continue to do the business against the other sides better than them they can’t stop us.

Long long way to go but what a position.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #727 on: November 10, 2019, 07:04:58 pm »
City need to win 23 out of 26 to make 95 points...
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #728 on: November 10, 2019, 07:06:17 pm »
They still have a lot of tough games that we've already got past in the 1st half, Leicester, Chelsea, United and Arsenal.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #729 on: November 10, 2019, 07:09:33 pm »
City need to win 23 out of 26 to make 95 points...

They're well capable of doing that. The likes of Everton and United won't lay a glove on them while raising their game for us.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #730 on: November 10, 2019, 07:16:14 pm »
City will be gunning for us in the away game, that’s going to be incredibly tough. Whatever happens though, we’ll have done better in our head to head with them than last season so as long as we continue to do the business against the other sides better than them they can’t stop us.

Long long way to go but what a position.

That game will be huge. As it stands it could be all that's between us and being invincible.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #731 on: November 10, 2019, 07:46:00 pm »
Of course but that's what we'll need to do. Keep winning games consistently for the rest of the season, the minute we don't then the lead evapourates. We did that last year and it still wasn't enough because of a spell where we drew a few tough games.

City unlikely to get 98 or 100 points this season which should give us more breathing space, but we thought that last year with 14 games left.

We didn't have this big a lead last season at any point of time, and immediately after we had a 7 point lead, we played City at Etihad and lost in the tiniest of margins (Goal Line no goal), so it was just a 4 point lead that we blew.

The plus point is that we already played Leicester H and Man United A - two games where we dropped points on the way to 'blowing' our lead last season, so it really is a matter of keeping on going and doing our job without worrying about Man City or whoever else. That's what Klopp will do. It's pointless speaking about a may or may not happen 20 game run by Man City (who has to play Chelsea, United, Arsenal and Leicester in the first half of season yet), when it's clearly in our hands.

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #732 on: November 10, 2019, 07:46:52 pm »
They're well capable of doing that. The likes of Everton and United won't lay a glove on them while raising their game for us.
I'm not convinced. Even if they have a great attack, they still do, this defense will cost ManC more points. All our three goals today were preventable by a top defense and goalie.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: November 10, 2019, 07:48:47 pm »
Well if you said last year that we’d be 8 points clear off a team who are being managed by our old gaffer Brendan, then I’d have called the doctors for you.

Weird but sublime turn of events in the season so far.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #734 on: November 10, 2019, 07:54:24 pm »
Nice part is that we have taken 9/9 from the other top 4. They still have to play each other right? So there are dropped points there too.

Looking at Leeeechesters schedule they may not drop a point in the next 5 games though.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 07:56:07 pm by newterp »

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: November 10, 2019, 08:01:27 pm »
Exactly.

We simply can't throw this away

Whatever you do, just dont declare that its over
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: November 10, 2019, 08:07:16 pm »
It’s nice to be ahead, but meat’n’potatoes part of the season is coming up. Keep our cool, stay focussed and we may just be even further ahead. We have worked so hard to be here, but so, so much football is still ahead that all we can dream about is twatting Roys eagles - that is all that matters now.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: November 10, 2019, 08:13:43 pm »
Whatever you do, just dont declare that its over

Deal  :D

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #738 on: November 10, 2019, 08:17:47 pm »

They may not do simply because they’re inferior to City but I think, if the lead is similar when they play them, they may well play as best they can because they’ll think it makes no bones at that point.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #739 on: November 10, 2019, 08:20:45 pm »
Hopefully El Plastico finishes a draw, would be a perfect result for us that outcome.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #740 on: November 10, 2019, 08:21:09 pm »
We've lost 1 game in 48 since the start of last season.

I don't recall a single last minute point saver and the one we did lose was as close as close could be.

This team is monstrous put simply. We will likely have a rough patch eventually, but wouldn't think we will be losing too often.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #741 on: November 10, 2019, 08:22:11 pm »
Hopefully El Plastico finishes a draw, would be a perfect result for us that outcome.

I’d still rather a Chelsea win I think. The more points City drop (and sooner), the better.

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #742 on: November 10, 2019, 08:25:09 pm »
Top 6 record:

Liverpool: P5 WWDWW 13 points

City: P2 DL 1 point

Offline Red Eyed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #743 on: November 10, 2019, 08:26:24 pm »

I don't recall a single last minute point saver and the one we did lose was as close as close could be.

This team is monstrous put simply. We will likely have a rough patch eventually, but wouldn't think we will be losing too often.

Incredible, is there a better team than Liverpool FC at the moment? I don't think so
"Just try, if we can do it, wonderful and if not, then fail in the most beautiful way"

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #744 on: November 10, 2019, 08:30:42 pm »
There isn't. That's not even bias. We've dropped two points.

No other team in top league can boasts that record.

Ps to my above thread I don't count Utd as last minute. It was late though

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #745 on: November 10, 2019, 09:43:43 pm »

Sturridge away at Chelsea last year.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #746 on: November 10, 2019, 10:00:08 pm »
Sturridge away at Chelsea last year.

I knew I would miss one.

But point stands, we are damn hard to beat!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #747 on: November 10, 2019, 10:01:39 pm »
I’d still rather a Chelsea win I think. The more points City drop (and sooner), the better.

Got to agree with this, City will push us all the way again, want them further back than 9pts.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: November 10, 2019, 10:03:56 pm »
9 pts is gigantic cushion.

We'll have our inevitable rough patch at one point but this cushion is more than enough for us get through it and remain top.

Winning mentality is so ingrained in this group they hardly even celebrate goals against their biggest rival - that's how winning is normal to them these days. I trust them fully to get the job done, they're just too good not to be champions.

Not a bit of it.  Our players just don't take anything for granted.  They're well aware of what is at stake and our mentality monsters are not given to complacency.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #749 on: November 10, 2019, 10:05:49 pm »
United won their 4th game of the season today. We’d done that by the early September. Mad.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #750 on: November 10, 2019, 10:06:36 pm »
My reaction to today's victory: Nice.
Our aim is still the same: To beat Man City's record of 101 points. Some way to go. We do that we will win the title anyway. We're not just satisfied with that, we are going for the greatest points haul in history and go the whole season unbeaten. These are accomplishments neither Arsenal nor Man City achieved. If somehow we fall short and get 99 points or whatever, we will still win the title.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #751 on: November 10, 2019, 10:06:43 pm »
Top 6 record:

Liverpool: P5 WWDWW 13 points

City: P2 DL 1 point

United and Spurs aren't top 6 right now. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #752 on: November 10, 2019, 10:10:12 pm »
Palace will give us a harder game at theirs than they did City. We play before the plastic derby so would be nice to get another win and put pressure on both. Leicester play same time as us and I would expect them to beat Brighton away but you never know.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #753 on: November 10, 2019, 10:10:14 pm »

Agree.

Mourinho for once made a good point about Chelsea that in the big games they're not doing well at all.. Against us in the Super Cup, Utd Away, against us in the league, Ajax etc...

I don't fancy them to beat City but a Chelsea win would be a great outcome.

Offline slimbo

• Kopite
« Reply #754 on: November 10, 2019, 10:19:06 pm »
Great to have this lead. Still think Feb/Mar will be the crucial time to determine the Champions. They have a tough run amongst possible big Champions League games as well

Feb - Spurs & Leicester away
Mar - Arsenal, United, Burnley, Chelsea
Next match - Liverpool

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #755 on: November 10, 2019, 10:22:49 pm »
As I said elsewhere, last season City lost four league games.  This year they've already lost three.  We got done last year the same way we got done in 08-9 - the draws killed us.  So when it comes to playing Chelsea I'll quite happily accept a City draw.  Points dropped anywhere are welcome, and City dropping two points hurts them a lot more than Chelsea gaining a point hurts us.

It was about time the performance levels of City over the previous two seasons started to show.  Any dropped points are welcome.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #756 on: November 10, 2019, 10:43:09 pm »
Great to have this lead. Still think Feb/Mar will be the crucial time to determine the Champions. They have a tough run amongst possible big Champions League games as well

Feb - Spurs & Leicester away
Mar - Arsenal, United, Burnley, Chelsea
Next match - Liverpool

City have a tough run in until the end of the year.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #757 on: November 10, 2019, 10:45:56 pm »
If we're still 9+ clear after the Christmas period with no injuries, then I'd say its over.

You never know with footy though, and we like to make things hard usually. ;D

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #758 on: November 11, 2019, 12:05:59 am »
Just for fun, I was checking out the results from Arsenal's "Invincibles" season.

By the time they finished playing their 12th PL game of the season they had 3 draws:

• Arsenal 1 - Portsmouth 1 (game 5)
  • Man Utd 0 - Arsenal 0 (game 6)
  • Charlton Athletic 1 - Arsenal 1 (game 10)

They had beaten Everton, Boro, Villa, Man City pre-Abu Dhabi buyout, Newcastle, us (a game that included a Hyypiä own goal, sadly), Chelsea, Leeds and Spurs.

TBF this was shortly before I started following LFC and watching the League every week so I ask out of actual curiosity: were Portsmouth and Charlton decent back then, or those draws were more like freak results?

Anyway, enough about L'Arse. Different decade, different context in the League. I just posted this because I really fucking hope we end up going unbeaten - and yes, I know how unlikely that'd be. I'm not getting carried away yet. We came so close last year and... well, incredibly fine margins.

Curiously enough, we also had 3 draws in 12 matches last season...

• Chelsea 1 - Liverpool 1 (game 7, with that glorious Sturridge last-minute equalizer)
  • Liverpool 0 - Man City 0 (game 8, with Mahrez missing his penalty)
  • Arsenal 1 - Liverpool 1 (game 11)

which shows we've already improved on 2 of those fixtures (beating both Chelsea and ManCity).

:scarf :scarf :scarf
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 12:09:19 am by Desert Red Fox »

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #759 on: November 11, 2019, 12:17:28 am »
United and Spurs aren't top 6 right now. ;D
Our results against the other sides currently in the top 6 reads WWWWW
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp