Author Topic: Re: Brendan Rodgers to remain at LFC - pointless speculation in here please...  (Read 175102 times)

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
Re: Brendan Rodgers to remain at LFC after positive talks with owners
« Reply #520 on: June 3, 2015, 02:13:39 pm »
Had a feeling he would stay.

So what will he have to do to keep his job?

Because I can't see us making top 4 and I also don't see him being good enough tactically, to win a cup.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #521 on: June 3, 2015, 02:14:08 pm »
A myth?

Really?

Well right now it would certainly seem to be on here if it isn't quite so apparent out in the street.

Fact is though, if we could travel back to the late 60's with the same "Liverpudlians" who are beside themselves with rage and frustration at the decision to retain Rodgers, it'd be very intriguing to see whether those late '60's seasons during which Shanks played second fiddle to the likes of Revie, Clough, Busby and Catterick [none of whom at that time had more financial clout than we had] would have had these advocates of the glamorous 'flavour of the day' manager clamouring for Shanks's removal for one of the rivals that was getting the better of him back then.

As it was back then, six years we waited for the manager to restore the magic it seemed like he had lost and each year despite always falling short we'd all run round from the Kop to the players entrance at the end of the final game of the season to roar our support for Shanks and the team no matter how disappointed we all were.

I can remember using this analogy in various pieces I wrote at the time of the clamouring for Houllier's head barely a couple of years or so after he'd won us a unique cup treble - yeah it was me who coined the analogy though it's been deployed many times since. It proved a futile exercise back then and it's looking increasingly likely it's going a similar way again.

Fact is Adam ski a lot such as yourself aren't really arsed about the real reason why the season just gone was so shit. So unacceptable. It's enough for you and them that the debacle it's been has simply provided what you see as irrevocable justification for succumbing to the lure of a Klopp or an Ancelotti to replace Rodgers. The possibilities you could see particularly with Klopp were just too enticing for you to be arsed to take on board the positives accrued by Rodgers or the traditional Liverpudlian principle of standing by the manager.

So much so you're now prepared on the back of nothing but your own fucking whim to dismiss that principle as myth. 

Well sorry mister but whilst the likes of myself who lived through its reality is around to dispel the utter shite 'fans' like yourself are wont to peddle off the top of your fuckin head without any basis in fact then the reality of the things we should all cherish as Liverpudliand will be posted to tell it like it really was.

The thing is I know more than a few lads with your sort of 'take' on things so I think I do 'get' the intrinsic thinking here.

These are lads around 30/40 ish - sons of mates - and they recoiled in horror when FSG first appointed Rodgers. They felt a huge club of LFC's standing required a heavyweight manager with a standing that corresponded to ours. Someone like a Van gaal or an Ancelotti or a Mourinho etc. One who could attract and manage players of the very highest calibre so we didn't simply have to rely upon the attraction of the club's past record which many younger players might not even rate that highly.

And so these lads have never been able to shake off that in built downer on Rodgers.

Any time I talk with them - even during the amazing effort of the season before last - the dissing of Rodgers for not being up to the level fit for LFC would permeate any discussion based upon their jaundiced take on even the positive aspects let alone the negative ones.

"With Suarez and Sturridge up front any idiot could manage this team and win the league".

"Why didn't he just play for the draw against Chelea and let them come at us?"

"He's the manager, he signed all the players - so he's responsible for us being so shite".

And so on and so forth.

Now there's no denying the slithers of truth and reality in what these lads maintain and only a complete Rodgers apologist would deny the blatant failings and mistakes the fellow has made.

Then again only a complete anti-Rodgers apologist would be unable to admit to the undeniable positives of the same fellow's tenure.

And underpinning it all there surely has to be a link of some sorts back to one of the core tenets of this club's very essence - namely to stick not just with the club but also with your manager through the thick and the thin such that when you do emerge on the other side with perhaps something to show it will actually be something of a truly collective tripartite fan/team/manager worth and not just some trinketty honour borne on the back of some reliable old '5 times around the block' warhorse or the latest state of the art German

Just read this Timbo had i read it first i would not have bother replying to this Adam ski fella myself as you have it in spades here mate well said and so true!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: June 3, 2015, 02:15:27 pm »
I will never understand people who hope their team loses so they can see the manager get sacked.
Playing devil's advocate here .... I'm sure many felt that way with Hodgson, and were justified. A lot like, Geordies and Pardew, Utd with Moyes.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #523 on: June 3, 2015, 02:15:40 pm »
I guess I don't agree with that.  There are plenty of managers who work with a DOF that play the players they are given.  Ancellotti is the best example of this.  He moves from club to club and develops systems that work for the players he has with having very little, to no, say in who comes in.  That's what the best managers and coaches do and something Rodgers needs to be better at.  We were without Sturridge all season and had two strikers in the squad that didn't match the way the manager preferred to play.  Why couldn't Rodgers develop a new system that could get the best out of the players that he had?

You don't understand. I'm only saying give him control if you're happy with who he buys. But if you do give him control then you need to keep your nose out and let him get on with it.

If you don't trust his eye for a player then you take all his power away and he coaches who he's given.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #524 on: June 3, 2015, 02:16:30 pm »

Look more I'm pragmatic to a fault and ordinarily I'd agree with you the manager should have a big say if not outright authority on who gets signed. If it were rafa or anchaloti say, I would feel much happier with them having a bigger input. But I just can't help feeling that the club would be doing Brendan a favour, saving him from himself as it were by taking some of that power away. He is an excellent coach I believe but beyond that I worry about his eye for a player to put it mildly.
Most of the signings attributed to him would have been excellent signings for Swansea, actually slightly better than they could hope to get,but I'm not sure he has fully grasped the step up in class required for signings at Liverpool.
Or mabey thus is a club policy and if it is then we are in bigger trouble.

Barring Allen, Borini and Lallana. Do we actually know for sure which were 100% Brendans signings and which were more influenced by the TC.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2015, 02:18:02 pm by Solomon Grundy »

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #525 on: June 3, 2015, 02:16:57 pm »
Stussy your point about those advocating giving him another season just being a question of timing compared to those who want him out now is probably valid. It comes down to whether you'd rather get rid at the earliest sign of trouble or whether you think the good stuff we've seen outweighs that and he deserves another chance to right the wrongs of last season.

I'm in the latter camp by the way although I'd hope/expect the owners to at least have some sort of thoughts about what happens if things do go worse from here.

I think there was a third camp inside FSG......those who would get rid of him if a Klopp or Ancelloti could be attracted, but who felt that in the absence of an obviously superior manager being open to come to us immediately (for whatever reason) it would be for the best for the time being to keep him on rather than go for the disruption of someone new who wasn't likely to substantially improve us immediately.

In the meantime, FSG are probably in a position of strength WRT Brendan now, and can impose the kind of structural changes they may have wanted to for a while, which they feel will hopefully be enough to help him succeed next season and be suitable for the long term benefit of the club.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #526 on: June 3, 2015, 02:19:00 pm »
Disappointed. I don't think Rodgers has it to Manage a big club like us (we are one of the 10 biggest clubs in the world.... Do you consider Rodgers as one of the 10 best managers in the game...? or even among the top 10 coaches).

The manure, Chelsea and ever$hit fans will be rejoicing after hearing this news.

Anyway...whatever....

Hopefully we do well next season. Who know ? The expectation levels have drastically reduced. Not many of us are expecting any sort of success next season. Maybe this could be the key for this team to perform above expectations.

Yeah... Death by football...here we come.
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #527 on: June 3, 2015, 02:24:28 pm »
The history and tradition that we support a manager until we think he has either run his course or become untenable

, Ged had run his course and after his health problems we needed a change, Souness became untenable on and off the pitch, Shanks retired, Bob Retired but later mentored Kenny, Joe retired,  Kenny quit after the strain of Hillsborough took its toll, Roy needed help and was moved sideways, and then he left. Rafa criminally sacked after 5 or so years,

Any of the above managers passed their sell by date in just three seasons then?

Its only in the last decade or so some fans first option is that of sacking the manager when that option should be the last option we use.

Rodgers has always treated this club and fans with total respect and deserved to be treated with the same respect shame far too many didnt do this recently and some frankly never have right from his appointment.

The one fly in the ointment is when we rightly wanted Roy gone it went against all are traditions to the extent many of us agonised about wanting rid of him, Our actions no matter how justified are seen now by some as their justification for calling for any managers head in here as they did with Kenny and now with Rodgers! Brendan at least deserves next season and he deserves to have the fans hoping he does well rather than waiting to pick over his carcass.

I will never understand people who hope their team loses so they can see the manager get sacked.

Spot on Geoff!

What I can't fathom is the desperation. I understand - and felt deeply - the bitter disappointment of the collapse at the season's end but surely a fucking blind man could see that the team simply had nothing left to offer offensively. It - and rodgers had actually performmed miracles [okay perhaps not miracles] to be in with a shout of top four as the end of season loomed. That had been achieved with the efforts of two players [aided for a few games by Ibe before his injury] but when those two 'hit the wall' we simply had nothing left to offer in an attacking sense and resembled wounded lambs for any praying jackals to feed on.

And boy did those sides at the end of the season enjoy their freebie feasting.

I just don't see any mystery in the entire fucking debacle.

We had no attacking armoury worthy of the name for an entire season

Full fucking stop

The club management wanted a good fucking last August and again in January for doing absolutely fuck all to remedy it.

What's the fucking mystery.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2015, 02:26:15 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: June 3, 2015, 02:25:18 pm »

The manure, Chelsea and ever$hit fans will be rejoicing after hearing this news.

Could not give a damn what they thought.

Quite why Everton fans would have any room to gloat anyway is beyond me.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #529 on: June 3, 2015, 02:26:17 pm »
I think humble is a key word there mate. He's lost that humility.

On the contrary, I hope the manner of the defeat has shattered some of the illusions he may have had. It may well turn out that this was the jolt he needed to re-focus himself on what needs to be done.

I'm guessing that he was able to demonstrate the reasons for the last few losses in the meeting and how he was going to fix this. As I said, the changes made by Brendan have to be matched by changes by FSG. We need better leadership at Chief Exec level. For me that means letting Ayre deal with the commercial aspects of the club, and getting someone with better football knowledge and contacts in to deal with transfers
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: June 3, 2015, 02:26:40 pm »
Barring Allen, Borini and Lallana. Do we actually know for sure which were 100% Brendans signings and which were more influenced by the TC.

I'd definitely say Lovren was a Brendan Rodgers signing, not because he has failed but when he came in he said along the lines of this is our "new Carragher" or something?

I would class Balotelli and Manquillo as possibly not, and Moreno i think was a Brendan signing...

again this is the issue with this whole thing, we'll sit and discuss is player x a managers signing or a club signing, it should be eradicated and made club and manager have the same vision and it's their player... that way it's all clear.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #531 on: June 3, 2015, 02:28:01 pm »
That's a great post Timbo, one of the best I`ve read on here in a while.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: June 3, 2015, 02:28:21 pm »
again this is the issue with this whole thing, we'll sit and discuss is player x a managers signing or a club signing, it should be eradicated and made club and manager have the same vision and it's their player... that way it's all clear.

Yep. Agree with this. Many people are either blaming manager or the TC over certain signings without 100% knowing who made the final decision, if everyone was on board with a certain signing or not etc...
« Last Edit: June 3, 2015, 02:32:30 pm by Solomon Grundy »

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #533 on: June 3, 2015, 02:28:32 pm »
. I don't think Rodgers has it to Manage a big club like us (we are one of the 10 biggest clubs in the world.... Do you consider Rodgers as one of the 10 best managers in the game...? or even among the top 10 coaches).The manure, Chelsea and ever$hit fans will be rejoicing after hearing this news.

Fuckinell. Did you get us out of a fucking Lucky bag?

;D

Offline ArthurDent

• Knows where his towel is!
  • Kopite
« Reply #534 on: June 3, 2015, 02:29:21 pm »
This really isn't true at all especially in the division the Red Sox play in. 
It is though. Think wider than the Red Sox. You can get into the playoffs by being in the top 3rd of teams as 10 qualify from 30. Once there, the playoffs are only a month from start to finish, so theres more of a chance that a team can hit a good streak to win. I think 5 or 6 wild card teams have won over the last 15 years or so. It's like just making 2nd in your Champions League group, then hitting a great streak of form in April and May and winning the thing. By contrast, winning the PL or any league means you must get the best results for an extended period of time.

All I'm saying is this is a subtlety that might be lost on the owners.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2015, 02:30:53 pm by ArthurDent »
"Stop thinking about money. Only think about football." Jürgen Klopp 9th Oct 2015.

Offline sharpmono

• Kemlynite
« Reply #535 on: June 3, 2015, 02:32:58 pm »
Can't overstate how much I disagree with this.
Last season was easily avoidable. It just happens it was poorly executed in so many ways, from recruiting players, deploying them, utilizing our bench and so on. It wasn't a perfect storm - it was however a perfect fuck-up that left nearly everyone around LFC demoralized and angry to a degree.

+1

Calling something a perfect storm is just an excuse. "A tornado crossed my path, so what could I do eh?"

Offline brezipool

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA Come On The REDMEN !
« Reply #536 on: June 3, 2015, 02:33:10 pm »
Was hoping for a change, but we are where we are. onwards and upwards into next season with hope.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #537 on: June 3, 2015, 02:34:21 pm »
For me the handling of this has been appalling. A will they won't they panto played out in the full glare of the media. This end of season review with accompanying leaks nonsense pretty much sums up the rank amateur way the Club is being run by remote control from Boston. It's as if FSG are so desperate for publicity that they are willing to hang the likes of Kenny and now Brendan out to dry to garner a few headlines and get the brand in the news.

A cynical ploy to gauge the popularity or otherwise of the manager from the fan base that does nothing but cruelly undermine the manager. Anything but a good start and Rodgers is a dead man walking. What happened to not airing your dirty laundry in public and the sensible policy of keeping things inhouse.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: June 3, 2015, 02:37:15 pm »
Just out of interest, has any statement been made by the club, or are we all just moving forward based on a few journo's articles ?
 :-\
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline adamski29

• Kopite
    • limerick sliding wardrobes
« Reply #539 on: June 3, 2015, 02:38:05 pm »
See, I agree with every word of that.

We're not that different after all ? ;)

Including the Benteke bit, and especially the 'Fuck you' marauding football bit.

The problem arises if Brendan wants him, but the TC as a whole don't. Why keep him if you're going to shakle him.

It's one thing telling Lewis Hamilton he needs 10 podium finishes next season in order to keep his drive, it's another thing telling him he can only put Diesel in his car to do it.
 :)

Aye! That it is  :)

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: June 3, 2015, 02:38:53 pm »
For me the handling of this has been appalling. A will they won't they panto played out in the full glare of the media. This end of season review with accompanying leaks nonsense pretty much sums up the rank amateur way the Club is being run by remote control from Boston. It's as if FSG are so desperate for publicity that they are willing to hang the likes of Kenny and now Brendan out to dry to garner a few headlines and get the brand in the news.

A cynical ploy to gauge the popularity or otherwise of the manager from the fan base that does nothing but cruelly undermine the manager. Anything but a good start and Rodgers is a dead man walking. What happened to not airing your dirty laundry in public and the sensible policy of keeping things inhouse.

Doesn't seem to happen anymore with us. I don't know if it's an American way of doing things, but I'd much prefer us to stay out of the papers other then when we buy/sell a player or if its a match report.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #541 on: June 3, 2015, 02:41:05 pm »
Just out of interest, has any statement been made by the club, or are we all just moving forward based on a few journo's articles ?

Leaks to the usual suspects is the way the Club is run these days. Why make a statement that can be left open to interpretation when your chosen journalists can spin things the way you want them.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: June 3, 2015, 02:41:34 pm »

No official statement. But all the reliable journo's ran the same piece at pretty much the exact same time so had obviously been briefed to get the message out.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: June 3, 2015, 02:45:00 pm »

The club management wanted a good fucking last August and again in January for doing absolutely fuck all to remedy it.

What's the fucking mystery.

For me the mystery is the fact that it appears to be deja vu this pre-season again, unless of course Burnleys centre forward comes across all Suarez on us and/or china doll Sturridge get's glued together sufficiently to contribute to some extent. 

Certainly appears to be little in the way of change re structures, transfer committees, etc.

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: June 3, 2015, 02:46:59 pm »
Leaks to the usual suspects is the way the Club is run these days. Why make a statement that can be left open to interpretation when your chosen journalists can spin things the way you want them.

No official statement. But all the reliable journo's ran the same piece at pretty much the exact same time so had obviously been briefed to get the message out.

Cheers.
 :)

Seems a bit strange to be honest.

Given the recent furore it wouldn't have hurt to put out a brief statement.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #545 on: June 3, 2015, 02:48:50 pm »
For me the mystery is the fact that it appears to be deja vu this pre-season again, unless of course Burnleys centre forward comes across all Suarez on us and/or china doll Sturridge get's glued together sufficiently to contribute to some extent. 

Certainly appears to be little in the way of change re structures, transfer committees, etc.

For me it's a sham, how can you have a season review and make changes if you are already signing players to contracts, putting in a bid for Clyne and talking to Milner and Ings.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: June 3, 2015, 02:49:29 pm »
Would have thought a statement only needs to be made if he's going.  He's got a long contract - nothing has changed. Hard to give him a resounding backing after the final month collapse too - some people would have a melter if they did.  I prefer when they skip the open letter, Boston PR, crumbs for the little people thing - when even Carlton Cole is doing open letters you should just stay silent. 

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: June 3, 2015, 02:53:02 pm »
Would have thought a statement only needs to be made if he's going.  He's got a long contract - nothing has changed. Hard to give him a resounding backing after the final month collapse too - some people would have a melter if they did.  I prefer when they skip the open letter, Boston PR, crumbs for the little people thing - when even Carlton Cole is doing open letters you should just stay silent.

To be fair we don't need war and peace, and it's hardly like the a normal end of season. Even Brendan's confidante's have turned on him.

Few words backing the manager would have gone a long way.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: June 3, 2015, 02:56:59 pm »
For me it's a sham, how can you have a season review and make changes if you are already signing players to contracts, putting in a bid for Clyne and talking to Milner and Ings.

A 2 hour meeting doesn't seem to suggest they went too in depth into what went wrong last season either.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #549 on: June 3, 2015, 02:56:59 pm »
Doesn't seem to happen anymore with us. I don't know if it's an American way of doing things, but I'd much prefer us to stay out of the papers other then when we buy/sell a player or if its a match report.

I think you have to look at who owns us. FSG are a Sports investment company that buys sporting institutions and then uses those sporting institutions to generate revenue for it's sports management arm Fenway Sports Management and it's TV arm New England Sports Network.

Their motto seems to be there is no such thing as bad news.

We might not get the required column inches for our on pitch performances but the back pages will be full of stories regarding the likes of Klopp and Ancelotti waiting in the wings. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: June 3, 2015, 02:57:48 pm »
To be fair we don't need war and peace, and it's hardly like the a normal end of season. Even Brendan's confidante's have turned on him.

Few words backing the manager would have gone a long way.

I think I read Werner is at some events over the weekend?? - I'd imagine if someone sticks a microphone in front of him there'll be a toothy Gene Wilder style "We love Brendan" platitude before the week's out. It's the best there'll be I'd imagine.

Online mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: June 3, 2015, 03:00:30 pm »
A 2 hour meeting doesn't seem to suggest they went too in depth into what went wrong last season either.

Maybe finishing 6th and in the Europa league doesn't constitute a bad season for the owners?

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #552 on: June 3, 2015, 03:00:30 pm »
Glad it's sorted early anyway.

Give Rodgers a decent striker or two and we'll be challenging top 4.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #553 on: June 3, 2015, 03:03:50 pm »

For me the whole point of the pantomime was to shift the spotlight onto Brendan so it doesn't matter if it was 2 minutes or 2 hours. The media and the fanbase aren't looking at how pathetic our transfer targets are they are looking at Brendan and how long he will last.

It's nothing new as soon as soon as they wanted shot of double World series winning Terry Franconna at the Red Sox they fed stories to the press about the players drinking alcohol and eating junk food in the clubhouse between innings and that Franconna was addicted to pain killers.

Funny how we seem to be getting murmurs about Brendan losing the dressing room and having personal problems.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: June 3, 2015, 03:03:51 pm »
Maybe finishing 6th and in the Europa league doesn't constitute a bad season for the owners?

Probably isn't true but, even the thought of them possibly thinking that depresses me.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: June 3, 2015, 03:04:25 pm »
You don't understand. I'm only saying give him control if you're happy with who he buys. But if you do give him control then you need to keep your nose out and let him get on with it.

If you don't trust his eye for a player then you take all his power away and he coaches who he's given.

Ok.  Sorry, I didn't get what you were saying.  Turns out I completely agree with you.   :wave

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #556 on: June 3, 2015, 03:05:41 pm »
I'm happy Rodgers is staying. I thought he deserved another year. Having said that, if a better manager was available and willing to come then why not look at them as a possible replacement? This happens with players all the time, why is the manager exempt? Managers that were out of a job during this off season. Rafa, Klopp, Ancelotti. All better options. They didn't come or were not interested for one reason or another , fair enough. With those people out of the way then Rodgers is our best option again. Stick with him and go forward.

I think quite frankly it's too easy to blame the manager or the club. I think they both share equal responsibility in what happened last season. No one outside the club knows how our transfers work, no one knows who bought who and who recommended who to who. I see people saying out of one side of their face "keep everything in house, why are we airing our dirty laundry in the press" and then say out the other "we have no idea how our transfers work" So which is it?

Rodgers is part of the transfer committee. What his actual power is not many know. He says he has the final say, some other people say he doesn't. No one knows. So how people can say the club is ultimately at fault for our failed transfers is a farce. You don't know. I don't know. We apportion blame when we don't have any idea. They're both at fault for me. That's transfers.

Another thing for me is the lack of a plan when it comes to the team. After 3 years I still have absolutely no idea what philosophy we present on the pitch. Are we an attacking team that likes possession, are we counter attacking team that plays on the break, are we a team that focuses on attack, we're clearly not a team concerned with defending. Do we play 3-4-3? Do we play 4-2-3-1? Do we play 4-3-3. I think we've tried every formation in the manual. It's a concern for me. What's our plan going forward? It's nice to see they all have a plan to go forward now, great, didn't we have a plan to all go forward when Rodgers arrived? What happened to that plan? What went wrong with that plan?

I hope next season we do have a plan and clear understanding of what needs to happen on and off the pitch to get us there. I hope Rodgers is the person to take us there, he's going to be under immense pressure from the start. I hope he deals with it well. No ones wants a repeat to end of the season we just had.

I'm hopeful I guess.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: June 3, 2015, 03:06:11 pm »
Let me just say thank you for the excellent posts that have appeared in this thread, particularly from Harinder, Fiasco and Timbo's Goals. Much appreciated all.

Just a question. If this season is repeated, would you think it would be time for Brendan to move on? Hypothetically speaking. We all want him to have a blinder and take us to the heights, but if he doesn't?

If you think that a repeat of this season would make it time to move on, then its just a time delay that differentiates you from those who say it may have been for the best for him to vacate the seat this summer.

Please note I'm saying 'you' in a collective sense for those who may be so inclined, not in any accusatory way.

I think there's a lot of signalling of virtue in this debate. The only thing its wrong to say is personal things or offensive comments about Brendan or his integrity.

Not aimed at me, I know, but it's a good question so I'll attempt a reply.

If a repeat of the season meant finishing sixth, that in itself would not make me want him to move on. To me, it's going to be the manner of how we perform. This past season, I think we are all agreed, was mostly about a giant mistake with our striking options. Rodgers seemed to be in several minds about how to deal with the increasing injury list and the options he had available. At the same time, I think he got overwhelmed by the challenges of European football at the highest level, and the concomitant pressure of games every few days. With the realisation that he had the equivalent of a blunt spoon instead of the dual rapiers of the season prior, I think he started second guessing himself too much.

All leaders have been there. As the spinning plates wobble, we run to those we think are likely to fall, then those that we can definitely save, then we run in circles, then we stop and stare at the unfolding carnage, paralysed with indecision.  The important metric, once the sounds of crashing crockery fade, is how we react to failure and prepare ourselves for the re-run.

For me, if Brendan shows signs of learning the lessons, he will be an immeasurably better manager for the long term future of the club. As I wrote in what became an opening post, I would like him to show confidence and development in the teams he picks. He has a reputation as a coach who develops young players - I would like to see all our youngsters properly used and backed, with clear direction and a clear set of tactics. Obviously, injuries will affect any plan, but if they do, don't panic, lead. Rodgers is a confident man, but the humility of failure is, paradoxically, the best steel for doing what you think is right.

If he demonstrates his principles and sticks with them, I think he'll do well. (With my personal caveat that I hope his principles are more swashbuckling than possession for possession's sake, but whatever, show what you're made of and believe). Whoever the strikers are that he wants, let him have them and play the way he wants them to. We're all dead men in the end.

If we can see more steel, more principle, less panic, even if we finish 6th again, I would want him to continue to finish the development of his project. I'm not so foolish to think we can over-take the moneyed clubs so easily, but I wouldn't want to see any more abject capitulations. For me, those were the result of Rodgers' over-tinkering and misuse of players and the psychological impact that had on the team as a whole. I reflect that we were a couple of result from an astonishing title a season ago, and we were a couple of results from an unlikely fourth place last season. That shows promise to me. We also had a good defensive run this time around. It's therefore the post United crash that bothers me. See that again, and he should be gone. Balls to the wall from now on, in all games, no matter the finish position, I'll be OK.

So for me, it's not a 'time delay' so much as how well he learns from this season. If he emerges from the fire stronger, I'm happy because that's a rare quality. The owners have given him their backing. Unless we are in danger of relegation, I am sure they will back him right through the season and he should know that. That's a rare thing in sports, and he should take the opportunity that almost no other club would have given him and believe in himself.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #558 on: June 3, 2015, 03:07:59 pm »
I'm gonna keep this simple but I've now read through virtually every post in these threads and the one thing that really emerges from them - and this is from a really old school supporter - is that the degree to which people are over complicating a simple situation is staggering.

As I've said till I'm blue in the face, the essence of last season's debacle and particularly the end collapse was down to the irresponsible shortcoming of the club in the summer and again in the winter to provide the manager/team on the pitch with an attack worthy of the name. The sole attackers - coutinho and Sterling - burnt themselves out by March.

And er...that's it.

Next season I'm sure the fuckin imbeciles running the club who allowed that utter fucking debacle to exist for an entire season without doing a fucking thing to remedy it, will I'm sure have realised the error of their ways and the team on the pitch will actually once more resemble a properly balanced football team with an attack worthy of the name.

I hope so mate...
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Online mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: June 3, 2015, 03:08:42 pm »
Probably isn't true but, even the thought of them possibly thinking that depresses me.

I would hope not also however I can't get this niggling feeling they would be happy with constant Europa league qualification rather than Champions league qualification while they look to maximise commercial revenue as well as stadium revenue.

Will see how we get on, hope im wrong.