Author Topic: New York... have you been?  (Read 233773 times)

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
Re: New York... have you been?
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2009, 01:49:55 pm »
lived there for two years. just the greatest city in the world.

depends really on your thing, but it's a certainty that the city will always have something for you. :)
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline sarch

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2009, 01:59:50 pm »
Just booked a week here at the end of July/start of August.

Staying at the New York Palace Hotel on Madison Avenue, decent location?

So then, what kind of things should I be trying to do in this week :)

mcsorley's, oldest pub in the city :)
beach at coney island, go on the cyclone there and get nathans
lfcny pub if the preseason matches are on

there is too much, lived here my whole life, if you have any questions pm me

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2009, 02:01:16 pm »
Off to NY on Thursday for two weeks. Can't wait.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2009, 02:31:35 pm »
I think you need to look back in this thread...?

Or I could hope for some tips on things from people who've visited more recently than 2 years ago...

Offline sarch

• Kopite
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2009, 02:35:31 pm »
also, teh statue of liberty reopens (at least the crown) on july 4th.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2009, 02:47:36 pm »
Go mate it's boss. Was travelling those parts in 1991/92. Was down in Greenwich Village mate but the whole place is buzzing.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2009, 02:50:29 pm »
- Statue of Liberty
- Return Ferry over to Staten Island, cost about $2 (to see Statue from close up, but not on it's own island)
- Empire State Building
- Helicoptor flight around Manhatten
- Star Ferry around Manhatten (right round!)
- Central Park by day (Lennon memorial / Lennon's appt. close by)
- Times Square
- Madison Square Garden
- Hard Rock / TGI's
- Greenwich Village
- Ride in a yellow cab

all available now, in 2007, or 1987 if you like  ;)

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2009, 02:56:29 pm »
National History museum (Amazing place - Full day needed - Buy the best tickets for all the extra exhibits especially the dinosaur one)
Ride on the subway (quickest and cheapest way of getting around)
Rockefeller centre (Good view from 80 floors up)
That big toy shop on 5th avenue (They have that big piano used on the film BIG)
Lower East Side (Katz Diner whilst you’re there)
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline dobbouk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2009, 02:58:09 pm »
loved it. went in august for a week on my own. was pretty skint but still got by on a mcdonals/subway diet. could quite happily live there when teleports are invented to get back and forth for the match.  could spend about 3 days just in central park.  quite easy to get around on the metro. got something for everyone.

trying to think of something someone hasnt already mentioned and i can only think of went to a comedy night at the broadway comedy club on my last night really enjoyed that. tickets are pretty cheap. can buy them on the street around 42nd st station  but youve got to buy two drinks during the night and its like 6 dollars a drink from what  i remember. just don't fall into that trap.

the only thing i could criticise it with is that with it being so touristy, and having travelled round wisconsin,indiana, and michigan for two months before, there werent enough young americans girls and the ones i did meet weren't like 'oh my god you're english'
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:01:14 pm by dobbouk »

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2009, 03:01:37 pm »
but youve got to buy two drinks during the night and its like 6 dollars a drink from what  i remember. just don't fall into that trap

Jeez, thats about £3 a drink. :o

Offline dobbouk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2009, 03:06:07 pm »
Jeez, thats about £3 a drink. :o

i had to blag my way on the airport shuttle train the next day because of it!

Offline sarch

• Kopite
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2009, 03:06:49 pm »
- Return Ferry over to Staten Island, cost about $2 (to see Statue from close up, but not on it's own island)
- Star Ferry around Manhatten (right round!)
- Central Park by day (Lennon memorial / Lennon's appt. close by)

the staten island ferry is free both ways but you have to get on and off
the lennon memorial is strawberry fields, i think it's the west side and 66th street

also, for "hipper" local information about bars/resteraunts check out nymag.com
edit: if you want to check out cheap comedy shows without the drink minimums check out the upright citizens brigade theatre.  they occaionally have some pretty famous people, and it's highlight by their sunday shows.

Offline Oingy Boingy

• Bisquitts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2009, 03:11:27 pm »
City is great people can be a bit ignorant though....

Excuse me do you know what time it is?  time you bought a fucking watch :lmao

can laugh about it now but was raging at the time.
Indeed...

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2009, 03:12:44 pm »
loads to do! Looks like your in a good location in midtown - fairly central your just on the east side. Some decent shopping around Madison and 5th avenue but its better down in Soho.
If your looking for bargain shopping Woodbury Commons is good but about an hour drive away by bus but is full of bargains but takes up a full day.

Some great food to be eaten everything from cheap mexican, pizza, diner\delis to high end michelin star stuff which is pretty good value. I ate at gordon ramsays at lunch time in November and it was only $45 for 3 courses. Try www.menupages.com for a choice of over 6000 restaurants which you can filter through on types and food and location.

try and use the subway as much as you can as its much quicker than getting cabs or buses once your figure out which way to go. However you can walk most places in midtown and the park and after 8pm cabs are good as the traffic dies down a bit. Its only really for getting down to SoHo, Brooklyn Bridge and greenwich village

Central park is a must - brilliant in the summer and will be absolutley chocker especially at the weekends.

Most people recommend the empire state building but its always dead busy - try the rockerfellar centre instead as you get better view of the park and can get great pictures of the empire state building too.

I think there is a temporay beach thats been built over the river from Manhattan in queens at long island city which you can get to using nywatertaxi.com

Loads of bars - too many to talk about. Fiddlesticks is a good one in greenwich village and run by a lad from liverpool\wirral, loads down bleeker street and east village. Irish bars are a good place to start as they usually full of people who can point you in the right direction.

Tonnes of museums as well if thats your thing. Natural history musueum good, also the Tenement museum in the lower east side is something a bit different. Might be worth checking ticketmaster see who's on.

Little Italy is worth a look and Katz deli on Houston street sells the best sandwich you'll ever eat!

Also try and get to a Yankees game or the Mets chances are there will be at least one on while your there.

Offline Oscar3

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2009, 04:51:51 pm »
Best flight options?Cheap as possible of course!
sons of men who stand like gods

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2009, 05:00:44 pm »
Take the metro if you're going more than a few blocks, you don't realise how ridiculously fucking massive the place is until you decide it's a good idea to walk down to Battery park when you're on 42nd street or something.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2009, 05:14:36 pm »
been raining almost non-stop this summer.  Bring your wellies.

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2009, 05:24:59 pm »
Just rent Ghostbusters. Simple.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2009, 05:48:38 pm »
Don't say that nyctex, the missus will kill me if it rains too much, tho I don't mind a bit myself

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2009, 05:52:04 pm »
Just got back from the states, having spent 7 memorable days in New York.  Well spent 5 days staying with our friends in Jersey City, and then 2 nights at The Alex Hotel (http://www.thealexhotel.com/) in Manhattan.

Was a brilliant time.  I would recommend:

M&M Factory
Top of the Rock
Five Napkin Burger, in Hells Kitchen
There is a great Irish Bar on the east side, up around 77th Street
Circle Line Tour 3 hours around the island with loads of ale
Peter Luger Steakhouse in Brooklyn
Toy shop in 5th Ave, with the BIG piano.  Good fun.

There is a great Lounge/Restaurant in the south of Jersey, near the Statue of Liberty.  Lovely distant views of the Manhattan skyline, sitting outside in the gardens having lunch/drinking.  They have a huge chess set outside too. It is near where the school buses all park for their Statue of Liberty tour.

Had a fantastic time!!!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 05:54:51 pm by Walshy® »

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2009, 05:54:24 pm »
Nice stuff, really looking forward to it now after initially being apprehensive.

Hope the hotel is decent, took ages to choose one as I'm out of my usual Orlando comfort zone, where I know the hotels and areas inside out!

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2009, 07:04:37 pm »
went for a few days back in march, would definitely reccommend going to the top of the rock (rockerfella centre) absolutely brilliant views of the city.

If your going up empire state go either first thing in the morning, or late at night. went up at midnight and it was spectacular.

I also went for a meal in Angelos in Little Italy, great restaurant.

and the LFC NY supporters club bar is a must if your their on a matchday
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2009, 07:28:13 pm »
sorry The Kid.  Don't let the missus see this from yesterday:

Hail Storm

had some bad storms yesterday and it's supposed to rain the rest of the week.  Been quite cool as well - low 70's but should warm up a bit next week

Beats a roasting summer though.  Heatwaves in the city are brutal as the buildings and concrete reflect the heat.  Plus the smells will make you cry.

I'm sure you'll have a great time.  It really is a fun city and most folks are plesently surprised how friendly people usually are.   Enjoy.

Offline sarch

• Kopite
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2009, 08:07:11 pm »

Beats a roasting summer though.  Heatwaves in the city are brutal as the buildings and concrete reflect the heat.  Plus the smells will make you cry.

i'll back this, the heat can be awful in august.  the heat is only worse in some of the subways.

also, walk over the brooklyn bridge then go grimaldis and get [the best] pizza followed by ice cream at the place at the end of the block.  your missus will love that.

if you're craving some fish and chips check out asalt and battery on greenwich street  - it's called little england.  if you want some other local food check out gray's papaya for the recession special (3.50 i think for 2 hot dogs with any toppings and a drink).  lombardi's is the oldest pizza place in new york on the corner of mott and spring i believe.  the zoo in the bronx is pretty good but the aquarium in brooklyn is pretty small, good if you have a child. 

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2009, 08:13:06 pm »
Thanks for that.
Just the two of us, go kids but zoos and aquariums etc interest me.
Had already planned to have a Grays Papayas :D

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2009, 08:30:31 pm »
Thanks for that.
Just the two of us, go kids but zoos and aquariums etc interest me.
Had already planned to have a Grays Papayas :D
Bronx zoo is very good , or you can go to the mini zoo in the  central park

Offline all_funkt_up

• ....the valentino of the boards... really knows how to treat a lady.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget. Never Buy the Sun.
    • The Daily Punt
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2009, 09:34:09 pm »
Just booked a week here at the end of July/start of August.

Staying at the New York Palace Hotel on Madison Avenue, decent location?

So then, what kind of things should I be trying to do in this week :)

Stayed there myself 2 years back. Really decent place, full of dodgy looking russians and their fit birds when we went. There's a nice exec lounge that has free scran and bubbly on the go all day long, check if your room/booking includes access to this - well worth a trip. Our room over looked this mad gothic cathedral thing that looked like it had jumped out of Ghostbusters and into real life. Good location for shops and that if you're with a bird. For food and the like, I remember there was a particularily excellent Subway just around the corner on the walk to the Rockerfeller Centre/Tower place.

As for what to do/where to go - you cant go wrong in NYC. Make sure you get a taxi to a bar called Hogs and Heffers though in the meatpacking district, well worth a visit.
Roy. Shut up. Just shut up.

Betting Banter and Stuff

http://thedailypunt.com/forum/

"Zlatan was released by Ajax because of his fucking attitude. Released by Juve cos just not good enough to play alongside Trezeguet.
He won't score or make an assist at

Offline misskopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2009, 10:20:10 pm »

Was a brilliant time.  I would recommend:

Toy shop in 5th Ave, with the BIG piano.  Good fun.

Haha yes, FAO Schwartz ;D.  Did you try your moves on the piano?

Aww I love New York.   The majority of time I was there it was raining, but it didn't spoil the trip at all.  Loads to do there.  TheKid best bet is to check out the Top of the Rock near Rockefeller Center instead of the Empire State Building (not worth it at all!). You'll have a much better view & no queuing up!  :). Check out Soho, Noho, and Tribeca area.  Greenwich Village is nice as well (weather permitting).  Central Park is a must and check out the Met if you have time; they should have the roof garden open.  Enjoy :wave
"Anfield had surpassed the noise level of Stamford Bridge half an hour before kick-off and the Kop was only a quarter full. Packed, it proved an awesome 12th man." Andy Hunter

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2009, 10:33:50 pm »
Great place to visit but would never live there AGAIN unless you have a few pals already there. Spent 94-96 in Queens but working in Manhattan.  I think during the first year on my days off I get off the 59th stop on the N, wander over to the park, hit the West side and just keep on going until I was at the Village.

Tips (if my memory serves me right)

If you want a view of the city from the Empire State then make sure you do it an hour before the sun sets as the day / night views are the only time its worth the 1 - 2 hour wait.

Head out / row on the lake in Central Park with the missus as rowing around the place with the city skyline disappearing occasionally behind the woods is nice.

For cheaper Broadway tickets dont stand in line for 2 hours in Times Square but hit the South Street seaport location (10 mn wait at most). Pretty convenient to other sights downtown Manhattan as well.

http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2009, 10:55:21 pm »
Love this city. Not a massive fan of the states but I do love visiting New York.

You will have a great time!

Offline FOOT

• AND MOUTH
  • Kopite
  • British media - bunch of c*nts
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2009, 11:12:05 pm »
Love this city. Not a massive fan of the states but I do love visiting New York.

You will have a great time!

got to agree. Got to say - well in to a few posters - some great tips. Spent a few weeks staying in Fordham Uni (almost the Bronx  8)) and loved the place.

Inspired to go back after reading this thread. :-*
THE TRUTH?

Lord Justice Taylor's official inquiry into the disaster disparaged The Sun's story and was unequivocal as to the disaster's cause:

The Taylor Report stated that official cause of the disaster was the failure of police control.

Offline TomG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2009, 12:57:51 am »
Havent read through the entire thread so apologies if already posted.

When in New York you must go and have a meal and a wander in Little Italy in Manhatten, it is brilliant.

Of all the the places I have been in the world, nothing compares to NYC (except Sydney of course, but I could be biased.)

Try and take a helicopter ride around the city at night. It takes you up the hudson river, around the statue of liberty and across to Queens and the Bronx, absolutely beautiful
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do" - Oscar Gamble

Offline Crazynumber9

• Legacy Fan
  • Be afraid!
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2009, 11:37:20 am »
Definitely and I know Im sounding like a typical woman but the shopping is fantastic...Bloomingdales :D
Proudly an internet terrorist since 2010!

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2009, 12:40:17 pm »
Eat in Grimaldi's and get abused by the old guy managing the queue, then eat the best pizza ever! Right down the road is a little brooklyn ice cream shop with views over manhatten. Very nice way to finish walking the brooklyn bridge.

Katz deli, of harry met sally, and huge fuck off sandwich fame, is only 5minutes walk down the road form the 11th street bar, lfcny for matchs. so a few early morning pints are well joined by that after a match.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:31:14 pm by bryanod »
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2009, 01:45:21 pm »
Eat in Garibaldi's and get abused by the old guy managing the queue, then eat the best pizza ever! Right down the road is a little brooklyn ice cream shop with views over manhatten. Very nice way to finish walking the brooklyn bridge.

Katz deli, of harry met sally, and huge fuck off sandwich fame, is only 5minutes walk down the road form the 11th street bar, lfcny for matchs. so a few early morning pints are well joined by that after a match.

if you go to Katz they operate a turnstile as you go in and give you a ticket. your bill gets added to that ticket so dont lose it cos they go a bit mental and the security guard stops u from leaving as i found out!

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2009, 01:58:21 pm »
Also Mars 2012 or something is aamzing, the little ride down to the restaueant is worth the $2 alone.

Offline gravy red

• Kopite
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2009, 02:05:45 pm »
Yep.......... :lickin

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2009, 02:23:00 pm »
Also Mars 2012 or something is aamzing, the little ride down to the restaueant is worth the $2 alone.

Looks shite to be honest, then again theme restaurants like that, Planet Hollywood, Rainforest etc usually are

Offline sarch

• Kopite
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2009, 04:37:57 pm »
Looks shite to be honest, then again theme restaurants like that, Planet Hollywood, Rainforest etc usually are

it's awful...awful awful awful.  Also, make sure you go to a diner.  If you can go for breakfast I'd travel across the river to Jersey City on the PATH train (about 25 minutes from 33rd street)  and go to the brownstone diner.  They have 31 types of pancakes and have been featured on Food Network before, I know there was a clip on youtube of it before.  Cozy's has a great soup and burger special for like 10 or 12 bucks.  It's right next to Washington Square Park and was the place that Rob Schneider delivered for in Big Daddy.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2009, 04:45:49 pm »
Depending how long you are there for its worth trying the boroughs for a real taste of new york. Prospect Park and Williamsburg in Brooklyn are worth a visit and I can recommend Astoria in Queens.