Author Topic: The NHL Thread  (Read 598982 times)

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Re: The NHL Thread
« Reply #9720 on: April 24, 2019, 02:19:09 am »
Basically complaining certain players either aren't trying (Gardiner, Nylander) and/or are a waste of money (Nylander/Tavares) Although now the latter has scored it's a different story

haha! spoilt little sods! Although of course, you have to rememeber the state of the majority of people on Twitter  ;D

Agreed. Some would say Calgarians aren't too far behind.  ;)
Different breed from Edmontonians. Passing through the Vancouver airport departure lounges on a weekday morning you can tell who's going to Calgary and who's off to Edmonton. It's all bling and mobiles in the Calgary lounge, t-shirts and baseball hats for Edmonton.

;D  I'm a bit ignorant to most western conference teams fan bases to be honest! Don't get a whole lot of chances to watch them apart from when they play games vs the Rangers. But I don't mind Calgary simply because I'd rather they do well than Gary Betman's beloved Vegas, or Nashville.

Bruins looking better again now. Been a bit of a wierd game. A game of two goalies too, Rask so far supreme, and Anderson so far so average.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #9721 on: April 24, 2019, 02:50:53 am »
A game of two goalies too, Rask so far supreme, and Anderson so far so average.

Says it all really, and that's hockey. If Martin Jones carries on where he left off the other night, the Sharks are going through.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9722 on: April 24, 2019, 02:57:20 am »
Even though I can't stand the Islanders, I am amused that they are going deeper into the playoffs than John Tavares  :P

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #9723 on: April 24, 2019, 03:03:19 am »
The last time the Maple Leafs won a playoff series, the flip phone was the paragon of mobile technology, Facebook was a few months old, LeBron James had never played in an NBA post-season game and Beyonce was still a member of Destiny’s Child.

It was so long ago that NHL teams still played to ties during the regular season, Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby hadn’t yet been drafted, and Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner were six years old.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2019/04/20/so-much-has-changed-since-leafs-last-playoff-series-win-over-charas-senators.html
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #9724 on: April 24, 2019, 06:57:19 am »
https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2019/04/20/so-much-has-changed-since-leafs-last-playoff-series-win-over-charas-senators.html

Interesting. Post mortems on the Toronto media will continue ad infinitum. Cracking 3rd period and overtime at San Jose tonight and I like the result, even if the 5 minute penalty doesn't stand up to examination when the heat dies down.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9725 on: April 24, 2019, 09:34:12 am »
Interesting. Post mortems on the Toronto media will continue ad infinitum. Cracking 3rd period and overtime at San Jose tonight and I like the result, even if the 5 minute penalty doesn't stand up to examination when the heat dies down.
Ref almost always give a 5 minute major on an game ending preventable head injury. It probably should have been 5(+10 game misconduct) on Stastny for interference instead of the crosscheck on eakin.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9727 on: April 24, 2019, 12:34:54 pm »
Mike Commodore absolutely ripping the shit out of Mike Babcock on twitter  :o

https://twitter.com/commie22/status/1120873176991522816

https://twitter.com/commie22/status/1120869392257036288

Not usually into this sort of stuff from ex players, but as it's the Leafs and Babcock, I'll accept it  :P

I wonder if he will be under pressure? I know the Leafs have some question marks in defence and their goalie isn't all that, but they have still underperformed badly in my view, considering how loaded they are with talent, and that has to fall at his feet.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9728 on: April 24, 2019, 12:50:31 pm »
A few of the Leaf fans I know wanted bare minimum to at least win a series. Others to at least take one to 6 or 7. So in that respect, he might not be under a huge amount of pressure. That and the Raptors winning pulls some of the spotlight glare from the Leafs. However, while the more rational minded ones wanted some sign of progress, if they don't win a round next year, then heads will roll. I think you're more likely to see a few big name players (Kadri, Gardiner, maybe Nylander) moved on first

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9729 on: April 24, 2019, 01:18:26 pm »
A few of the Leaf fans I know wanted bare minimum to at least win a series. Others to at least take one to 6 or 7. So in that respect, he might not be under a huge amount of pressure. That and the Raptors winning pulls some of the spotlight glare from the Leafs. However, while the more rational minded ones wanted some sign of progress, if they don't win a round next year, then heads will roll. I think you're more likely to see a few big name players (Kadri, Gardiner, maybe Nylander) moved on first

just scanning the Leafs forum on HF Boards, wow, they are very very angry at him! Doesn't seem to be a new thing either. They seem very upset at him not playing Mathews and Tavares more last night when they needed a goal. They also just don't seem to like him much generally.

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #9730 on: April 24, 2019, 03:41:42 pm »
Yeah leafs fans are putting it all on Babcock.

Gutted we’re out early again.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9731 on: April 24, 2019, 05:11:27 pm »
The leafs must be tired of the Boston Bruins

That Sharks- Vegas Knights game 7 was epic

Sharks 3-0 down, scored 4 goals on a 5 minute power play in the third period and the knights tie it with less than a minute left. Then one of the lesser known players for the Sharks scores the overtime winner

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #9732 on: April 24, 2019, 06:17:12 pm »
I’m bloody sick of the Bruins, in fact I’m sick of all Boston sports teams. Always doing my yank sports teams over.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9733 on: April 24, 2019, 08:22:03 pm »
I managed to avoid social media and news sites today. I even avoided my only colleague that watches hockey. Just sat down to watch the Bruins - Leafs game and my streaming provider is advertising Columbus vs Boston on the main page :(

The Leafs are suffering from playing in an insane division, so many strong teams. I really like Mike Babcock but this may be the beginning of the end for him. Maybe he should take a punt on the new Seattle team.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9734 on: April 24, 2019, 09:10:19 pm »
What a horrible call in the Vegas game to give Eakin a 5 minute major. I know, you shouldn't concede 4 goals on a single power play no matter how long it is, but I can only imagine how much it sucks for the players on the ice to know they've been screwed over just so the league can have a more interesting final 10 minutes of the series...

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9735 on: April 24, 2019, 09:16:29 pm »
What a horrible call in the Vegas game to give Eakin a 5 minute major. I know, you shouldn't concede 4 goals on a single power play no matter how long it is, but I can only imagine how much it sucks for the players on the ice to know they've been screwed over just so the league can have a more interesting final 10 minutes of the series...

Considering the help the league gave them to become this good so quickly, they can do one. Delighted they are out, makes the rest of the playoffs far more enjoyable knowing they won't be a shit stain on the competition any more this season.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9736 on: April 24, 2019, 09:42:18 pm »
I have to disagree with you on this one, Nullfünfer. Vegas did indeed get a far better deal than other expansion team but you make it sound like they were allowed to clone Gretzky, Lemieux and Shane Doan. They hired a good coach and built a team that took everyone by surprise. I enjoyed last year’s cinderella story.

Don’t get me wrong, I prefer the Sharks of course. Just think you are being a bit harsh.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9737 on: April 24, 2019, 09:45:24 pm »
I have to disagree with you on this one, Nullfünfer. Vegas did indeed get a far better deal than other expansion team but you make it sound like they were allowed to clone Gretzky, Lemieux and Shane Doan. They hired a good coach and built a team that took everyone by surprise. I enjoyed last year’s cinderella story.

Don’t get me wrong, I prefer the Sharks of course. Just think you are being a bit harsh.

I dont think its harsh. It was farcial how the expansion rules where changed. Teams spend so much time and money developing these players, only for Bettman to allow Vegas to take a full teams worth of very good players from them.

Yes they do have a very good coach so fair fucks for that. But it's been put on a platter for them. Unlike for other expansion teams who rightly had to work their way up.

Hopefully the novelty wears off in a few years and they'll be moved to a more fitting market.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9738 on: April 24, 2019, 10:33:15 pm »
I see your point. Still, don’t have any ill feelings against them. They have too much cap space to become bad in the near future but when then eventually drop off, their “fans” will stay at home. (Eventually when the NFL franchise comes to town and steals the “die hard” hockey  fans)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:36:17 pm by dalarr »

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #9739 on: April 24, 2019, 11:16:50 pm »
Watching the pundits doing handstands and about-turns is great entertainment in itself. I'm hard-put to find one that was more than 50% right on first round predictions. If the Caps go out tonight (a big pundit favourite to win it all) it'll be fun to hear the new predictions and 'logic' behing them.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9740 on: April 25, 2019, 04:37:57 am »
All four division leaders are gone.  :o

Who is going to win the Stanley cup this year?

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #9741 on: April 25, 2019, 05:15:27 am »
Crazy. All 4 wild card teams win their first round series.

There is going to be a Cinderella winner this year isn’t there.
YWNA

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #9742 on: April 25, 2019, 05:16:56 am »
And looking at that final 8 I feel like pulling my hair out at how bad the Flames were. What a great opportunity for an unfancied team to win the whole thing and the Flames do what they’ve been doing for years when they make the playoffs.
YWNA

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #9743 on: April 25, 2019, 06:30:55 am »
Two unbelievable overtime periods by the Canes tonight. Amazing energy and composure after three periods of hardfought hockey. Justin Williams is one of the most articulate interviews in this, perhaps most, sports today. This first round has been one of the best I can remember.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9744 on: April 25, 2019, 08:21:29 am »
I dont think its harsh. It was farcial how the expansion rules where changed. Teams spend so much time and money developing these players, only for Bettman to allow Vegas to take a full teams worth of very good players from them.

Yes they do have a very good coach so fair fucks for that. But it's been put on a platter for them. Unlike for other expansion teams who rightly had to work their way up.

Hopefully the novelty wears off in a few years and they'll be moved to a more fitting market.
The expansion rules where fine just other teams where really dumb on what they did and Mcphee did a good job getting undervalued players and getting assets.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9745 on: April 25, 2019, 12:00:11 pm »
Going with a Boston-San Jose final

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9746 on: April 25, 2019, 01:25:56 pm »
The expansion rules where fine just other teams where really dumb on what they did and Mcphee did a good job getting undervalued players and getting assets.

You mean the other teams as in the ones who already existed? As Vegas are the first teams to have the benefit of these rules. But if you mean teams where dumb in who they protected, there is only so much you can do considering how few players they could protect. That's sort of the point!

But of course, fair enough you think they where fine but the point is they where specifically changed to make the team instantly competitive, the league said as much, it was their reason for doing it. And yep, its fine that you are ok with that, many are! Maybe it's a sporting culture thing, as of course in the NHL there is no league structure, whereas many of us here are brought up with teams having to work their way up through a league structure. So there is something so fake to me about what happened with Vegas.   Because they where able to draft top 4 defencemen and some top 6 forwards, due to the changed rules.  The NHL basically picked a spot, and dropped a competitive team in there, it just didn't sit well with me, but like I say, that's just me.  Added to the fact I am not impressed that Vegas where given a team, and I hate what Bettman did over the years with not helping teams in hockey hotbeds, while gleefully moving those teams or giving teams to places like Atlanta, Phoenix, Raleigh and Las Vegas. 

But indeed credit where it's due to the GM, because being given such a ridiculous kick start doesn't mean it'll actually work. So he did do an excellent job as did the coach.  But I wish Vegas nothing but shit luck going on and I hope they fold in a few years. The NHL needs retracting, not expanding.

Anyway, sod Vegas, they are done for the season.

Onto the conference semi finals, it's been a crazy playoffs so far.  I shall be mostly cheering Columbus and Dallas in these next rounds cos of some Rangers connections :D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 01:28:18 pm by Die Nullfünfer »

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #9747 on: April 25, 2019, 06:07:44 pm »
Going with a Boston-San Jose final
Works for me. I'd like to see Thornton have a last crack at it.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9748 on: April 25, 2019, 10:05:25 pm »
I’d like to see Chara have a last crack at it.

No sense in predicting anything now after that crazy round one. I’m going for Hartford Whalers. Seriously, I agree with the San Jose Boston shout. With Colorado as outsiders.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9749 on: April 25, 2019, 10:10:57 pm »
You mean the other teams as in the ones who already existed? As Vegas are the first teams to have the benefit of these rules. But if you mean teams where dumb in who they protected, there is only so much you can do considering how few players they could protect. That's sort of the point!

But of course, fair enough you think they where fine but the point is they where specifically changed to make the team instantly competitive, the league said as much, it was their reason for doing it. And yep, its fine that you are ok with that, many are! Maybe it's a sporting culture thing, as of course in the NHL there is no league structure, whereas many of us here are brought up with teams having to work their way up through a league structure. So there is something so fake to me about what happened with Vegas.   Because they where able to draft top 4 defencemen and some top 6 forwards, due to the changed rules.  The NHL basically picked a spot, and dropped a competitive team in there, it just didn't sit well with me, but like I say, that's just me.  Added to the fact I am not impressed that Vegas where given a team, and I hate what Bettman did over the years with not helping teams in hockey hotbeds, while gleefully moving those teams or giving teams to places like Atlanta, Phoenix, Raleigh and Las Vegas. 

But indeed credit where it's due to the GM, because being given such a ridiculous kick start doesn't mean it'll actually work. So he did do an excellent job as did the coach.  But I wish Vegas nothing but shit luck going on and I hope they fold in a few years. The NHL needs retracting, not expanding.

Anyway, sod Vegas, they are done for the season.

Onto the conference semi finals, it's been a crazy playoffs so far.  I shall be mostly cheering Columbus and Dallas in these next rounds cos of some Rangers connections :D
CBJ trade karlsson and something to protect somebody else. FLA traded marchessault for vegas to take smith because they wanted to gudbranson. Those add up, teams didnt protect well. They got schmidt from the caps however caps didnt want to protect him over carlson, niskanen,orlov(which makes sense) The basically made rules do Vegas was getting 3rd pair dman and bottom 6 guys. Vegas used leverage to get assets and other teams where dumb. Nobody expect vegas to be better like 85-90 points last year, most thought they wouldnt be good.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9750 on: April 25, 2019, 10:13:07 pm »
With NHL saying the refs messed up the game 7 call. Think the NHL is going to let Refs see the video or have Toronto make calls on major penalties  and maybe objective minor(like delay of game, they missed one in the caps-canes game)

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9751 on: April 26, 2019, 03:24:44 pm »

Agreed. There's a few players in San Jose's roster I'd love to see win it.

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9752 on: April 27, 2019, 02:38:35 pm »

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9753 on: April 28, 2019, 06:05:59 pm »
Don’t forget the early puck drop tonight: Hurricanes - Islanders. It’s such a shame the Islanders decided to play only the first round at the Coliseum. The atmosphere was off the charts! Barclays Center is just plain ugly and they didn’t even sell out the last game!

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9754 on: May 2, 2019, 12:23:08 am »
Hurricanes have come flying out the gate

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9755 on: May 2, 2019, 03:55:43 pm »
Yeah, amazing stuff from the Canes. The eastern conference final will be a cracker.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9756 on: May 3, 2019, 07:21:04 pm »
Boston - Columbus has been a cracker so far. Will definitely go to a game seven. Expecting the Canes to finish the job tonight. The Islanders seem deflated

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9757 on: May 3, 2019, 07:24:54 pm »
Boston - Columbus has been a great series, the pace and physicality they are playing with is something to behold.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9758 on: May 3, 2019, 07:40:03 pm »
The Sharks seem to be the best side remaining... At least on paper. The way this playoffs are going I wouldn't put my money on anyone or anything.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9759 on: May 4, 2019, 03:13:40 am »
Canes sweep the Islanders
since 2002 Canes have made the playoffs 4 times and every time have made the conference finals